AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2014-10-26, 04:42   Link #2201
woxx

The year has past since Rebellion premier and they still doesn't announce anything (they announced movie trilogy in half year after the series).
I really hope they won't make a sequel of Rebellion. I would glad to see "rebuilds" of Madoka someday but not sequel.
woxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-28, 08:12   Link #2202
Szadek
Missionary of Madoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxx View Post
The year has past since Rebellion premier and they still doesn't announce anything (they announced movie trilogy in half year after the series).
I really hope they won't make a sequel of Rebellion. I would glad to see "rebuilds" of Madoka someday but not sequel.
Right after watching the movie I really wanted a sequel,now my feeling about this are mixed.
The ending is not exactly a cliffhanger,contrary to what some people say,but it's open ended,which means different people have different interpretations.
That's means a sequel will up upset many people.
Old 2014-10-28, 16:33   Link #2203
woxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szadek View Post
Right after watching the movie I really wanted a sequel,now my feeling about this are mixed.
The ending is not exactly a cliffhanger,contrary to what some people say,but it's open ended,which means different people have different interpretations.
That's means a sequel will up upset many people.
Well, Rebellion(or original series ending) upset many people too. That's not a big problem. I'm afraid of sequel because it won't be good anymore like Rebellion and series. As Gen said Rebellion was ridiculously hard to write and it also had very high budget. Even if some people don't like new story, animation and music is still perfect. I don't think they could make a good sequel once again ( I don't remember anything to have TWO good sequels in my life)
Old 2014-10-28, 19:49   Link #2204
Szadek
Missionary of Madoka

Quote:
Well, Rebellion(or original series ending) upset many people too. That's not a big problem. I'm afraid of sequel because it won't be good anymore like Rebellion and series. As Gen said Rebellion was ridiculously hard to write and it also had very high budget. Even if some people don't like new story, animation and music is still perfect. I don't think they could make a good sequel once again
After the ending to the orginal series there weren't many opportunities for a sequel,but rebellion doesn't have that problem.
Then however they should stop for sure,at least with direct sequels.
The Different Story as an anime would be really cool,Vol. 1 at least,2 and 3 aren't that good anyway.
Quote:
( I don't remember anything to have TWO good sequels in my life)
Lord of the Rings.
Old 2014-10-29, 01:34   Link #2205
woxx

Quote:
Lord of the Rings.
I meant original movie/anime or something. Lord of the rings is a novel adaptation.
Shaft makes a lot of monogatari adaptations, because it's already written and much easier to make than Madoka.

Quote:
The Different Story
Some spinoff adaptation is very possible now.

Last edited by woxx; 2014-10-29 at 01:47.
Old 2014-10-29, 05:12   Link #2206
Vegard Aune

Quote:
I meant original movie/anime or something. Lord of the rings is a novel adaptation.
Not to mention that the books were originally written to be just one big single story. It was only split into a trilogy to reduce printing-costs as paper-prices were really high at the time. And the movies were also all written and filmed together, making it basically one massive movie split into three slightly less massive segments.

...That said, whether it was based on a book or not really should not matter. It's not like writing a good book is necessarily easier than writing a good movie, and the problems of continuing a story that was already concluded would be the same for either situation. Oh, and as for something with more than one good sequel (although admittedly also some really bad ones)... the old Star Trek movies. Wrath of Khan was considered infinitely superior to Star Trek The Motion Picture, and while The Search for Spock and The Journey Home weren't considered as good, they were still relatively well received. And The Undiscovered Country was also considered on the whole a pretty good ending for the original cast. And this is also taking into account that the movies were themselves a sequel to the original series... And then there was the Next Generation TV-series which was far more successful and well-liked than the original. So it has happened.
Old 2014-10-29, 05:32   Link #2207
Szadek
Missionary of Madoka

Quote:
Shaft makes a lot of monogatari adaptations, because it's already written and much easier to make than Madoka.
You have a point.This series doesn't need it's own Matrix Revolutions.
I can't think of any fitting anime comparisons. Maybe Eva 3.0?Haven't seen it,but I heard it's pretty bad.

Anyway,I could live without a sequel,I just want to know if they are done with the series or not.
Old 2014-10-29, 22:49   Link #2208
LightDragonman

Heh, I like to consider Rebellion to be everything that Eva 3.0 tried, and failed, to be. That, and it was essentially The Matrix with Magical Girls.

Anyways, I have a feeling that they aren't done with the series just yet, especially with all the spin-off mangas. I bet a sequel announcement will be revealed at the end of the year.
LightDragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-12, 12:46   Link #2209
Shyni

I at least something set in the new world. Could be interesting.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-12, 18:56   Link #2210
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Woxx's idea of the Madoka version of a "Rebuild of Evangelion" has some appeal to me, at least if Madoka's "Rebuild" has a significantly different ending.

That could enable the best of both worlds, in a sense - An open-ended "main timeline" conclusion for people who go for that sort of thing, and a more closed-ended and conclusive AU ending in "Rebuild of Madoka" for those of us (like myself) who would probably prefer that.
Old 2014-12-18, 16:57   Link #2211
kitten320

Finally got around to watch the movie and personally I'm disappointed. I feel like they have completely ruined Homura's character in those last 10 or so minutes =/

Soundtracks were ok but not as cool as original ones. I don't even remember a single one of them from the movie.

Animation was gorgeous though. Mami VS Homura was probably my fave sequence.
Old 2014-12-18, 17:44   Link #2212
Sayaka's sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Finally got around to watch the movie and personally I'm disappointed. I feel like they have completely ruined Homura's character in those last 10 or so minutes =/

Soundtracks were ok but not as cool as original ones. I don't even remember a single one of them from the movie.

*Sigh* How did the last ten or so minutes 'ruin' her character?
Old 2014-12-18, 19:34   Link #2213
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:

Well I got a similar feeling at first.
And then, after rewatching it, I thought it made sense and I was pretty good about it. It wasn't what I would have expected but it was true to the storyline and to Homura. It's her story after all, she should be the one to decide how it's supposed to end even if it means going Homurakuma.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 13:14   Link #2214
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
You know, as much as I disagree with the execution of it due to lack of a real set up, on reflection I can't sufficiently argue that Homura's actions were against her character. This is just the logical conclusion of her mindset.

Homura has, ultimately, always been a control freak out to guarantee Madoka's wellbeing by controlling everyone around her and erasing everything if it didn't turn out the way she liked. Now she's doing it with godlike reality-warping instead of save-scumming. That's all.
Old 2014-12-19, 14:41   Link #2215
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageblink View Post
Well I got a similar feeling at first.
And then, after rewatching it, I thought it made sense and I was pretty good about it. It wasn't what I would have expected but it was true to the storyline and to Homura. It's her story after all, she should be the one to decide how it's supposed to end even if it means going Homurakuma.
I don't see any reason why Homura's will for Madoka should take precedence over Madoka's will for herself. In fact, I'm strongly inclined to disagree with Madoka's free will being denied like that.

So while I don't necessarily think this ruins Homura's character (I definitely see AuraTwilight's point), it's certainly not the ending I would want for Madoka Magica as a whole.
Old 2014-12-19, 20:14   Link #2216
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't see any reason why Homura's will for Madoka should take precedence over Madoka's will for herself. In fact, I'm strongly inclined to disagree with Madoka's free will being denied like that.

So while I don't necessarily think this ruins Homura's character (I definitely see AuraTwilight's point), it's certainly not the ending I would want for Madoka Magica as a whole.
I'm with you on this. Madoka chose a wish that could benefit all the magical girls. It's the top of selfish from Homura to keep her "locked" in an alternate reality.

But Homura was selfish to begin with. True, Madoka asked her to save her but she turned the thing a bit psycho. Heck, she was willing to kill sayaka before she turned into a witch (though some of us don't see it that way) just so Madoka wouldn't suffer from this (which she would have anyway, losing a friend).

She only cares for Madoka, and as Madoka screwed her whole existence with that specific wish, it's not that surprising Homura thinks she's doing the best for the godess of Puella Magi.

I was happy with the ending of the anime.
What I meant by being pretty good about the movie and Homura having the final choice is not regarding the moral statement in all of that.
It's just that as a character she's trying again and again just to be told "it's like that, i'm erasing myself, deal with it". I just think they wrote her like "hell to the no, it won't end here, i want my happy ending". Which is, err, selfish as hell.
Don't really know if it makes sense... It's not a good thing, it's a logical thing.
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-20, 15:34   Link #2217
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
For what it's worth, the ending of Rebellion is the most obvious case of sequel-baiting I've ever seen in an anime, so we're certainly not going to just have to accept this outcome.
Old 2014-12-21, 22:52   Link #2218
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
The thing about Homura in this film is we p much spend it exploring what she really wants. I thought for sure the thing was gonna be let me cherish these moments one last time and not screw it, I want her for myself now! and it def. comes across as mean-spirited. That said, I wonder how long she can keep this up. Her motives in the series are when she's mentally together, but being trapped in a labyrinth of her own desires at her most vulnerable (IE, a witch) is probably not conducive to selfless behavior.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-22, 14:01   Link #2219
woxx

Quote:
I don't want to argue about anything else, but that's just nonsense. First time I see someone complains about soundtrack. I understand you may not understand the plot, but Rebellion got one of the best soundtracks ever.
Old 2014-12-22, 14:21   Link #2220
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But do Homura's actions really deny Madoka's will? Madoka didn't necessarily choose to be a god or the law of cycles. She had to become that to ensure her wish wouldn't get warped and result in even more despair. But all Madoka really wanted was to save the magical girls.

I think it all depends on the state of the world and the magical girls after Homura rewrote the universe. Sayaka suggested the world would be destroyed. If that's true, that does deny Madoka's will. But either way, the fact that she's not a god anymore is kind of irrelevant imo.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-12-23 at 04:02.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka