AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-04, 16:14   Link #101
james0246

^Taking a lickin' but keep on tickin' is always cool, in fact Luffy is still essentially this type of fighter (his speed has increased exponentially, but he is still an infighter and he takes some massive attacks during almost all of his battles), so Blackbeard shrugging off damage is pretty cool and in no way similar to Hodi's pathetic excuse for fighting (though the Shark-missile-attack-thingy was pretty cool).
Old 2011-11-04, 16:51   Link #102
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

CP9 were not Top Tier ^^

And the main difference between BB and Hodi is that Hodi takes a ton of damage but can't really do much to retaliate (unless underwater against a DF user trapped in a bubble =.=) however BB not only takes the damage but he can also get up like nothing happened, and throw your attacks right back at you WHILE spamming his own attacks.

The most unique thing I see in BB is that, he's one of the toughest and meanest top tier bad guys in the OP world yet you still see him do funny faces when he gets hit. Every time he gets hit it looks like he's just another fodder guy, but then he just stands back up and tears you apart with a smile.

What do other top tier fighters do? Dodge, block, parry or "Derp I iz logia! I don't even need to dodge!"
Old 2011-11-04, 19:58   Link #103
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Actually, I'd say Hody's stamina is more comparable to Awakened Zoans (or Usopp/Spandam ) than the typical GL superpowers.....

Why not? Frankly, DF powers in general defy logic as it is, so I see no reason why Oda couldn't make a time-based power work. Unless you think that Oda would suddenly pull a Bleach and have Blackbeard become some wacky troll of a villain like Aizen/Tsukishima? I already pointed out Jojo in my last post (as well as billions of times before then), which does an awesome job of handling time powers (well, not so much King Crimson, but that's a matter of personal taste).

Which reminds me: I pointed out the possibility of Blackbeard "evolving" his powers in a manner similar to Pucci in my last post. I now realize that the comparison is even more fitting since Teach, much like Pucci, also has a gravity-type power (even if the darkness fruit works differently from C-Moon).
I just think that "time" is a complicated topic,and to me it's like an excuse for not having a good idea,something like "I don't know how to make my character strong,oh let's give him control over time,that will make him incredibly hax".

Devil fruits defy logic,but they're what make this story so amazing and unique.
Old 2011-11-05, 10:02   Link #104
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Taking a lickin' but keep on tickin' is always cool, in fact Luffy is still essentially this type of fighter (his speed has increased exponentially, but he is still an infighter and he takes some massive attacks during almost all of his battles)

Y'know, your post suddenly reminded me of Hajime no Ippo, where the titular character, despite improving his speed throughout the course of the series, still pretty much charges straight into his opponents' attacks without thinking. Heck, even most recent match he managed to pull off a OHKO despite taking a huge counter beforehand (the power of which was supposedly equal to two tons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
CP9 were not Top Tier ^^

Alright, upper-lower-middle-tier, then (or I guess that would just apply to Lucci). But really, being a top-tier fighter ISN'T necessary to keep on truckin' after a massive beatdown. Do I really need to point out Usopp (or Spandam) again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
I just think that "time" is a complicated topic,and to me it's like an excuse for not having a good idea,something like "I don't know how to make my character strong,oh let's give him control over time,that will make him incredibly hax".

I might agree with you on this if the time power was something Teach obtained at the last minute, but if it was an ability which he honed over the course of the timeskip, then I think that would make it feel less cheap, IMO. That being said, there's multiple ways time powers can be handled. I mean, even the time stands in Jojo (or at least most of them) had certain limits on their powers (like The World/Star Platinum stopping time for 5 seconds, King Crimson erasing time for 10 seconds, etc.), so I don't see why Oda couldn't do the same.....

Oh, and I'm actually a little surprised that discussion of the contents of the current SBS hasn't migrated to this thread yet. That's usually prone to happening when they come along around the time of a break......
Old 2011-11-05, 10:55   Link #105
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Alright, upper-lower-middle-tier, then (or I guess that would just apply to Lucci). But really, being a top-tier fighter ISN'T necessary to keep on truckin' after a massive beatdown. Do I really need to point out Usopp (or Spandam) again?
I agree and never said otherwise. What I've been saying is that AMONG the Top Tier fighters we've seen so far, only BB and WB have have been seen taking the attacks full on rather than dodging/blocking/parrying/logialulz. There are plenty of examples in the lower tiers and Usopp was one of the figureheads xD
Old 2011-11-05, 11:45   Link #106
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Regarding the new SBS info, what caught my attention the most was the marine incident that took place over the time-skip. It probably is a combination of a number of things already mentioned. New policies were implemented by the WG that don't sit well with the more "moral" marines like Garp, Aokiji, and Smoker. Perhaps Akainu vehemently disagreed with Sengoku's recommendation of promoting Aokiji to Fleet Admiral Status, which results in Akainu sending his complaints to the higher ups and convincing them that he deserves to be Fleet Admiral. When it's decided that Akainu will succeed Sengoku, Garp snaps and starts a fight with Akainu. Sengoku and the other marines have to break it up. As punishment for Garp's outrageous/wayward actions, the WG ousts Garp from the marines and has him imprisoned at Impel Down.

All speculation on my part, but I can definitely see this happening. Garp getting kicked out of the marines and locked up is big news.
Old 2011-11-05, 12:09   Link #107
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Regarding the new SBS info, what caught my attention the most was the marine incident that took place over the time-skip
Where can we find translations on the new SBS info?
Old 2011-11-05, 12:14   Link #108
marvelB

^Maybe..... here? The new info's been posted at that thread for a couple days now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
When it's decided that Akainu will succeed Sengoku, Garp snaps and starts a fight with Akainu. Sengoku and the other marines have to break it up. As punishment for Garp's outrageous/wayward actions, the WG ousts Garp from the marines and has him imprisoned at Impel Down.

All speculation on my part, but I can definitely see this happening. Garp getting kicked out of the marines and locked up is big news.

Yeah, I can see this happening, too. I mean, Garp already threatened to kill Akainu after he executed Ace during the war, so learning that the red hound would become Sengoku's successor may tempt him to follow up on that threat.....
Old 2011-11-05, 15:52   Link #109
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Garp would escape Impel Down like it were a cardboard box. No prison can hold that man.
Old 2011-11-05, 16:08   Link #110
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Indeed, how do they hold someone without a DF, who can use Haki and is physically super strong inside a prison? Only if he stays there by his own will...
Old 2011-11-05, 16:23   Link #111
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Am I the only one that just pictured Garp in Level 6 suddenly getting up in his cell and going "Welp...I think I've been here long enough." then proceeding to casually stroll out of whole prison, everything blowing up as he touches it and all the while he's eating the Basilisk and scratching his ass.

PS: Magellan would also be like "Nah screw that, I ain't gonna try to stop him."
Old 2011-11-05, 20:08   Link #112
golgo13

elephant gatling, that is a super powerful attack. i'm really interested to see if luffy will pull out a gear 4..

any theories as to why blackbeard can handle two dfs? i was thinking two hearts, not sure if this was mentioned somewhere before.
Old 2011-11-06, 05:08   Link #113
Mazkoom

Send a message via MSN to Mazkoom
When I remember Akainu i feel so bad that Oda did not let him have a deep scar or lose a limb. He freaking killed one of the most beloved characters, he was punched by "an earthquake" several times, and yet he was unscathed.

Quote:
any theories as to why blackbeard can handle two dfs? i was thinking two hearts, not sure if this was mentioned somewhere before.
Your theory is interesting. But I believe that he managed to to get another DF because of his Dark Dark Logia. It is likely one of the Dark DF abilities since it could nullify the DF power using "Gravity". So, he might have obtained WB's DF by absorbing it (some form of gravity I think) using the Dark DF.
Old 2011-11-06, 05:42   Link #114
Kallen4life

Akainu is a beast
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Old 2011-11-06, 10:52   Link #115
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
..or he literally doesn't have a heart?? lol PotC:3

and about akainu taking over sengoku's position-- FCKYOU AKAINU.

seriously, oda's doing a great job making him despicable. i sure hope luffy's gonna kill him next time.
Old 2011-11-06, 11:28   Link #116
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaKaBaKaOtaKu View Post
seriously, oda's doing a great job making him despicable. i sure hope luffy's gonna kill him next time.
Luffy doesn't take lives.
Old 2011-11-06, 12:24   Link #117
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

@Adan
..and that's what frustrates me. Damn, Oda. You're a saint
Old 2011-11-06, 12:44   Link #118
Homura7

^
More like Luffy is the saint. Oda is just being coherent with the way he portrayed his characters.
Old 2011-11-06, 14:07   Link #119
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazkoom View Post
Your theory is interesting. But I believe that he managed to to get another DF because of his Dark Dark Logia. It is likely one of the Dark DF abilities since it could nullify the DF power using "Gravity". So, he might have obtained WB's DF by absorbing it (some form of gravity I think) using the Dark DF.
Having 2 DFs is impossible for normal people. However, Marco commented that BB's body is abnormal; he's different from everyone else in that sense. That being said, BB's abnormal body definitely has something to do with it. Oda wouldn't have had Marco say that for no reason.
Old 2011-11-06, 19:40   Link #120
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

@Adan:
they're both saints then. Oda's sticking with his morals. he doesn't want his lead doing as such. arrggh. But as a reader you just can't help feeling that way especially towards a character like Akainu.

kubo's and kishimoto's villains aren't that convincing, oda's are.
anyhow, the thought of OP-Less week is sickening. DX -sigh-
Closed Thread