AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2004-11-12, 16:45   Link #101
Calca
Expressionless

From the Triad webpage

In keeping with Triad triadition of making the mistake of letting Drago pick our shows, we now bring you Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha! If you remember Triangle Heart, you already know that Nanoha was that little Chiyo-like girl who worked in the coffee shop. Well, now she has her own show, for some reason. This one's pretty much your standard magical girl show, so if you like that sort of thing, you'll love Nanoha. If you don't, well, you won't. Though the other Triangle Heart characters are in the show as well, so there's still a chance of badass sword fighting scenes to come in future episodes.

haha Drago, it seems you are the butt of the jokes at the Triad homebase.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-12, 17:40   Link #102
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
Yes yes, but I'm their t/ler so they can't do much and Nanoha is actually proving to be quite a good show because its overflowing with awesome plot and char. design
Dragosmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-12, 23:15   Link #103
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Enigma
Somehow I was expecting some singing in the anime though... I suppose the "Lyrical" part of the title is meaningless.
Again, dictionary.com is your friend. While the word "lyrical" does pertain to songs and singing in some definitions, the very first definition is Expressing deep personal emotion or observations, which has nothing to do with singing. I would say that the show doesn't lack for any sort of emotional expression (except maybe on the part of Fate, but I'm sure that will change in a few eps), so that part of the title is hardly meaningless.
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-13, 08:41   Link #104
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Episode 7. That gave Fate enough umph for me to push her into my top 15 anime antagonists list.

And there's not enough twisted minds in the entire universe to come up with a painful enough death for Fate's mom. I can imagine her ending up like Xenosaga's Albedo to me (I'd get angry just seeing him on screen)

Thanks for the sub of ep4 BTW guys. Good work.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-14, 02:31   Link #105
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Episode 7. That gave Fate enough umph for me to push her into my top 15 anime antagonists list.

And there's not enough twisted minds in the entire universe to come up with a painful enough death for Fate's mom. I can imagine her ending up like Xenosaga's Albedo to me (I'd get angry just seeing him on screen)

Thanks for the sub of ep4 BTW guys. Good work.
Yeah. Still need to watch the 4 sub, but I agree that ep 7 was spectacular...definitely very much Shinbo's style showing through in that one.
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-14, 05:09   Link #106
bluemist
i am the mist

I just watched up to ep. 4 and I'm still loving it!

I still don't know if I like or hate how they present the system of the Bardiche/Raging Heart magical weapons. On one hand, it allows freedom that (almost) any kind of magical spell can be thought of, which makes it nice and not boring to watch because of the potential variety. On the other hand, it allows too much freedom, to the point that I could not measure anymore the extent of Nanoha or that other girl's powers.

You know, this kind of stuff is usually found in shounen anime. When the hero is in a pinch and near-danger, suddenly the hero gains powers 'out of nowhere'. Then, what I call the 'shounen commentary' characters talk and be surprised at this new power. This is the style of Nanoha right now, and the shounen commentary character is none other than Yuuno-kun, who always praises Nanoha on her magic potential.

Anyway it's just me nitpicking again. I should like the magic for what it is, and I guess I don't have to think about it too deeply like that.
Old 2004-11-14, 06:50   Link #107
DaFool
Resident devil

I like this so far, and the fighting style is very shounen, what with phaser blasts, angst-filled moments, and mecha-like weapons.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-14, 07:34   Link #108
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

I like the technomagic because it's relatively fresh. Any magical girl can wave her wand and shoot rainbows at the monster of the day. Very few can convert it into a cannon and rain fiery death from the heavens in a lightshow that puts the most lumescant final fantasy summons to shame.

Exaggerations on my part, of course. But the fact remains that if Fate or Nanoha wanted to do such a thing they could. I have no problem not being able to judge their powers because that just enhances the, what I call "shat hits the fan effect". This most often involves a city/country/planet blowing up.

I do get a good chuckle whenever Yuuno gives one of his play-by-plays. It just reminded me so much of a long-ago 2-episode OAV called Battle Heat which featured many visually fight-worthy characters but only three fought. The rest just broke the fight down for us. Because, you know, if they didn't the fight would be 5 attacks long.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-14, 08:27   Link #109
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
well shag me silly. i KNEW i seen those two chracters BEFORE!

(The brother and sister)

they look so familiar! triangle Heart, well well.....

Nanoha is stil lkawaii and moe~!!

too bad its only 13 episodes...but maybe they will bring out a new series?
Old 2004-11-14, 23:01   Link #110
daft27
Aim High, Fall Short

Send a message via AIM to daft27
If you add everything up, this show is probably a shounen instead of a shoujo. It seems a bit too much male oriented for a typical shoujo. (c'mon, just look at the transformation sequence and the random pantsu shot in ep 1)
daft27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-20, 18:28   Link #111
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Ep 8

Jeez that was an intense one. I'm getting some Pretty Sammy TV flashbacks here with Yuuno-kun , but much earlier in the storyline... And I'm digging the twist that's been added with a certain third party's involvement now...

Can't wait to see what happens next!
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 04:56   Link #112
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by daft27
If you add everything up, this show is probably a shounen instead of a shoujo. It seems a bit too much male oriented for a typical shoujo. (c'mon, just look at the transformation sequence and the random pantsu shot in ep 1)
Maybe you've only watched the first EP.
I don't remember of any pantsu shot in EP2 and 3
Thany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 11:26   Link #113
LordBrian
Triad's Friendly Editor

You weren't looking very closely.
LordBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 11:53   Link #114
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBrian
Damn I have very bad memory, I thought this one had happened in the 4th ep >.>
Well then I'll say there are no fanservice in EP2 and EP4 (not like I'm complaining about it)
Thany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-21, 20:24   Link #115
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBrian

Oh come on!!! That was a pretty tame shot, (those are big pantsu by the way) pantsu shots that are considered fanservice (in my opinion), is the shot "between the legs" cos it's just so frigging suggestive and don't make me explain this, you should know what im talking about, unless your not male or have no sexual thoughts EVAR. (you freak!)
Old 2004-11-23, 16:49   Link #116
Dragosmore
Translator

Send a message via AIM to Dragosmore
And there you are~ Episode 5! Meet Arf ... Lots of people complained about the art in the episode, but I think the battle stuff in the end was done really well, with everything. Before that, it indeed was a bit meh-ish, but overall I don't think it was that bad when comparing it to some other anime shows :P Anyway~ Episode 6 will bring a cliffhanger and lots of new plot and stuff as truth of the Lost Logia's and Jewel Seeds slowly begins to come clear to us and stuff, whee !
Dragosmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 22:46   Link #117
Oiseau

Send a message via Yahoo to Oiseau
There is something unusual about the artwork in Ep 5, as if the episode wasn't drawn by the same people who did 1-4 and 6. The contrast is immediately obvious in the intro sequence before the OP, where scenes from Eps 4 and 5 are shown together, and again in the Ep 6 preview, where everything seems "back to normal". It's good to know I wasn't hallucinating. ^_^
Oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 11:05   Link #118
DaFool
Resident devil

Yeah I noticed the crappy stick-figure-like animation during the bathhouse encounter.

But the fight at the end more than made up for that... THUNDER SMASHER! BOOOOM!! DIVINE BUSTER! BOOOOOOM!

It's the same appeal as Mai Hime: girls doing some major ass-pounding like there's no tomorrow.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 14:34   Link #119
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Well at least we got the "mandatory" bathing episode out of the way... And Nanoha lost again. :/
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-24, 14:51   Link #120
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Yeah I noticed the crappy stick-figure-like animation during the bathhouse encounter.
I noticed that too. Damn, that looked awful. And that while you had that "ultra animation"
segment in the first episode that looked out of place because it looked TO good IMHO.

But it could always get worse...
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax
Well at least we got the "mandatory" bathing episode out of the way...
...which also reminds you again at what time this shows airs (and who it is aimed at -- not children).
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote