AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 5 9.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 35.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 33.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.96%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-11, 04:25   Link #41
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
You basically said that a gay character is ruining this series. I don't ever want to hear such remarks, and i believe same goes for other people around here. It doesn't matter if the character is real or not, it's still a horrible remark to say.

Personally i don't now why Jann being gay can ruin the series, that's me speaking. Coming from someone else, it tells us a lot about what they like and dislike, and you're showing such anger towards it.
Then close your ears, or in this case, shut your eyes. He wasn't angry or insulting the gay community. It was a simple statement saying how he didn't like a certain character. He didn't know the characters name and so referred to him as gay, or he didn't like the character for being gay. Even I think Jann takes the whole gay thing way over the top making him look like an extremely shallow character with no depth or any real character outside of his gay stereotype. Honestly, even if he did mean it in an insulting way to the gay community, he said it in an indirect way on a forum. I mean common let's stop flaming over an innocent though ill-conceived post.

Everyone seems to be thinking that the Faldio Alicia pairing is becoming alot stronger(though I still doubt it happening). That lead me to wondering after this episode. If it does happen wouldn't Welkin be paired with the reporter? Was there ever any indication of Welkin with the reporter or Alicia with Faldio in the game?
Old 2009-05-11, 04:29   Link #42
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer545-sama View Post
To those who gave me bad reputation, what is your problem? I am pointing out my opinion and it is offensive. Get real here!
So you're saying that your offensive opinions aren't supposed to get bad rep from others who are duly offended, but steeped in reality?

Well I sure hope that what ruined it for you wasn't him being himself. Over-the-top behaviour is well-documented in anime.
Old 2009-05-11, 05:23   Link #43
slayer545-sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
So you're saying that your offensive opinions aren't supposed to get bad rep from others who are duly offended, but steeped in reality?

Well I sure hope that what ruined it for you wasn't him being himself. Over-the-top behaviour is well-documented in anime.
No it was not that. It was more his thinking. Look, Jann is weird and that bothers me. Not because he is gay but the fact that he is gay acting weird. Gay people are not that open first of all by putting lipstick and makeup.
Old 2009-05-11, 05:34   Link #44
Father Hentai

Quote:
Freedom is absolute in discussion as long as it does attack anyone. IS ANYONE AS IN ANIME CHARACTER REALLY VALID?????? Of course not and that is because anime characters aren't valid subjects because they are not actual people although sometimes they are modeled after real people. Jann is far off of the ones that are real.
At least characters can be treated with respect or at least be tolerated on how they. Tell me on how you know that Jann is far off real models? How many of your friends or colleagues are gay that you can proof you are correct? How many times do you spend in such a community to make such a statement?

"So wie es in den Wald schallt, kommt es zurück". It's your own fault that you got the people against you.

Think, write, (think again,) post.

Quote:
No it was not that. It was more his thinking. Look, Jann is weird and that bothers me. Not because he is gay but the fact that he is gay acting weird. Gay people are not that open first of all by putting lipstick and makeup.
Some people in the company I work you see that they are gay because they act very "ladylike". On the other side you have them acting normal without hearing or even seeing that he is gay. Is he still weird? Not really. It's just you who does not know how to interact with such people and maybe because you are afraid that they would throw an eye on you. But for you it's o.k. when the girls are lesbian, right?

Last edited by Father Hentai; 2009-05-11 at 06:00.
Old 2009-05-11, 06:00   Link #45
kalbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by danin8r44 View Post
If it does happen wouldn't Welkin be paired with the reporter? Was there ever any indication of Welkin with the reporter or Alicia with Faldio in the game?
'I hope not' and 'good lord no' respectively. In the game it's a semi-spoiler but not really anything important, just a nifty little fact:

Spoiler for Game, but nothing major.:

As for Alicia x Faldio their interactions are few and far between. I think he flirts with her once, but overall he seems to have an implicit understanding that she and Welkin have something going on.

Of course, this is majorly different from the anime as game-Alicia actually enjoys Welkin's company and deliberately seeks him out to chat, feed him home cooked bread, or to simply be in his company.
Old 2009-05-11, 06:12   Link #46
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
kalbron, good points yet when you have to compare those six episodes so far (and most probably a hug thus more time between AliciaxFaldio) can you really say that WelkinxAlicia have stronger relationship? (again on what we have seen so far).

Flirting as it may be, FaldioxAlicia does seem to have much more moments than actually WelkinxAlicia. I mean how many times did Alicia blush with welkin and how many times with Faldio? For me it seems as a romantic pairing so far FaldioxAlicia is much more established than Alicia/Welkin.

So far Welkin seems to play more of a role of laid-back big brother rather than a real romantic interest for Alicia... Well at least for me.
Old 2009-05-11, 06:31   Link #47
slayer545-sama
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
At least characters can be treated with respect or at least be tolerated on how they. Tell me on how you know that Jann is far off real models? How many of your friends or colleagues are gay that you can proof you are correct? How many times do you spend in such a community to make such a statement?

"So wie es in den Wald schallt, kommt es zurück". It's your own fault that you got the people against you.

Think, write, (think again,) post.

Some people in the company I work you see that they are gay because they act very "ladylike". On the other side you have them acting normal without hearing or even seeing that he is gay. Is he still weird? Not really. It's just you who does not know how to interact with such people and maybe because you are afraid that they would throw an eye on you. But for you it's o.k. when the girls are lesbian, right?
No, I am saying that his attitude bothers me and not his sexual choices. Get a grip again!
Jann is far off from real models in the sense that no army accepts in reality guys who wear make up. Get real! Jann is fictional in all aspects.
Old 2009-05-11, 06:37   Link #48
Darknemo2000

Yeah, I do agree with slayer545-sama. Not that I do know that many gay's but what I know Jann's character is pretty much insulting to this sexual minority because of acts are way too fictional and ridiculous, so that it can become insulting.

Its like Jann is a caricature with hyperbolic actions.
Old 2009-05-11, 07:29   Link #49
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Flirting as it may be, FaldioxAlicia does seem to have much more moments than actually WelkinxAlicia. I mean how many times did Alicia blush with welkin and how many times with Faldio? For me it seems as a romantic pairing so far FaldioxAlicia is much more established than Alicia/Welkin.
And how many times did Fadio appear naked in front of Alicia compared to how many times Welkin appear naked before her?

And how many times did Welkin get to hold Alicia's little pink panties? Although last time I checked, these incidents incurred her rage other than her love for the man. I am actually being told by you, with a straight face, that those are moments of romance or indication of romantic developments?! Just because she blushed, does not mean shit.

If you equate embarrassment & rage to romance, then yeah, sure.

But hey, don't forget, she was willing to go an extra mile just for Welkin in this episode... (and I need not explain what that extra mile is)

Quote:
Yeah, I do agree with slayer545-sama. Not that I do know that many gay's but what I know Jann's character is pretty much insulting to this sexual minority because of acts are way too fictional and ridiculous, so that it can become insulting.
Jann is no different from some of the common stereotypes portrayed in mass media. Some of those are produced by gay people themselves.

On the other hand, this is Japan, a country not exactly known for homosexuality rights, and right now, it is a terrible time to be gay in Japan.

Quote:
Jann is far off from real models in the sense that no army accepts in reality guys who wear make up. Get real! Jann is fictional in all aspects.
No shit, capt'n herbal-leafs!

And I find this fictional character to be all laughter and entertainment.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-11, 07:32   Link #50
slayer545-sama
Banned

Quote:

Its like Jann is a caricature with hyperbolic actions.
Glad one agrees with me.
Old 2009-05-11, 07:43   Link #51
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Dude, give it a rest.
You got some flack over a very badly made argument, complained about bad karma (while distributing some as well, I bet), and you're still going? C'mon, let's go back to talking about the episode, please?

Old 2009-05-11, 07:51   Link #52
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
So far Welkin seems to play more of a role of laid-back big brother rather than a real romantic interest for Alicia... Well at least for me.
& i don't see why Welkin and Alicia have to be interested with each other right from the start. Never heard of character development and build-up? It's what we're seeing as each episode goes by.
Old 2009-05-11, 08:11   Link #53
Darknemo2000

Shiroth, it is more about difference with character build up between Welkin and Faldio and Alicia, rather than just Welkin and Alicia. So far, at least for me, the main pair feels to be left in a dust by the retarded director forced pairing (sorry still cannot get over the nuts thing, and probably never will).

Build up is ok but what is it worth if by the time Welkin holds Alicia's hand she already will have babies from Faldio. Yeah it is exaggeration but you understand what I mean. So far at least in my opinion the progression is rather unequal, making look Faldio/Alicia as the main romance while Welkin/Alicia as some side one which isn't right in my opinion (again I always hated love triangles or harems so that could be why I feel such hostility towards this whole thing, specially because it is a retarded anime invention rather than original).

Well, Tak, I see embarrassment & rage as a romance build up since this one is connected with sexuality, while Welkins relationship is not really there at all and will have to walk miles to get there.

Stereotypes are not always pleasing gay's society it's just that they do try to avoid too much publicity, but offensive stereotypes do cause a stirrup. There was one rather recent here in lithuania over publication in the newspaper and rather offensive gay stereotype used. I see Jann as a somewhat similar figure, that can be rather offensive in its own ways even to sexual minority. I am not against using gay's in anime, but I think that director has no sense of delicacy and is just kern, with a similar type of humor. But again this type of humor is accepted by the mass, cannot argue about it... It's just that a grown up I think could act bit more subtle in such situations.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2009-05-11 at 08:33.
Old 2009-05-11, 09:07   Link #54
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

All i seem to get from your post Darknemo2000 is that you're jumping the gun just a bit to much. It's like you've planned out in your head what path this show will take, and not letting anything happen later on like Welkin development like i've already mentioned. It's not set in stone that we'll see Alicia x Faldio at all, you need to get that thought out of your head that it will 100% happen.
Old 2009-05-11, 09:41   Link #55
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Quote:
& i don't see why Welkin and Alicia have to be interested with each other right from the start. Never heard of character development and build-up? It's what we're seeing as each episode goes by.
Spoiler for game developments:

That said, Welkin is just too dense as a character to know about romance like that two major dude in Legends of Galatic Heroes. He'll realize that soon enough, hopefully.

Oh, and did I mention that this series is a good watch (for warfare at elast) despite I didn't play the game?
Old 2009-05-11, 10:49   Link #56
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
l totally agree about development but once you have played the game and realize they have remove all scenes so far in the game that had those two becoming closer to liking one another more it really is frustrating.
l know what the final outcome will be...but still watching all these changes is frustrating a little...
Old 2009-05-11, 10:51   Link #57
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Maybe those scenes you're referring to could be reworked later, in the anime? I mean, it's still pretty early, no?

Old 2009-05-11, 11:01   Link #58
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Maybe those scenes you're referring to could be reworked later, in the anime? I mean, it's still pretty early, no?
lf going by game chapters one of those moments should be 2 to 3 episodes from now though and the chemistry isn't there. you are right though some of those scenes might work somehow if done later on.

oh well, l'll just have to stomach it...

Spoiler:
Old 2009-05-11, 11:37   Link #59
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

Was there this many Alicia/Faldio moments in the game? Cause it bugs me...

Edit: Answer was in a post above.

But on another note...Faldio has been bigging up his buddy Welkin to Alicia. He told her over and over that Welkin is the guy taht gets things done when he needs to and so on...

It could just be Faldio messing with her...But yeah, Alicia hasn't really shown any interest in Faldio other then being angry/embarrassed.

But we do still have another 18 episodes...

Last edited by Tyrone Biggums; 2009-05-11 at 11:51.
Old 2009-05-11, 11:47   Link #60
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
Was there this many Alicia/Faldio moments in the game? Cause it bugs me...
None. All they did was talk as friends, nothing more.