AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-01-08, 22:33   Link #2661
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
Why this series doesn't have an actual fantasy retelling is beyond me, although the mahjong avatars suffice. Seeing these new chapters only reinforces that notion.

There is now an image of Teru as a big, fluffy bear in my mind. A big, fluffy bear that would probably eat you alive if given the choice. It's kinda amusing and intimidating.
Now I'm thinking of Teru dressed like a teddy bear, which is incredibly cute. And who needs a fantasy setting? We have actual telephaty going on in the form of chibi Toki, and since underwear is non existant, everyone is always wearing revealing clothes. The only thing missing is elf ears.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-08, 22:52   Link #2662
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Ya know, if the missing relative is dead rather than just inconvenienced, would this mean that the match with Teru and Saki in the Individuals turn into a seance by proxy?
Old 2013-01-09, 01:34   Link #2663
tarajis
El Psy Congroo

All I can say for the Ryuuka and Toki thing.... all those lap pillows Ryuuka had been giving Toki are paying off... good for you, Ryuuka...

The talk about Shiraitodai not being as the strongest as they're thought to be, I still think they're the strongest and very cautious too... remember how Sumire said that they're gathering data about their opponents so they would want to reach the captain match to do so... but during the vanguard match seems to be that Teru is out to take out someone... well, I think it's just a case of Teru enjoying a match since she hadn't had a good one for a while but I think she'll actually stop not unless she enjoys it too much and forgets all about it...

In Sumire's case, unfortunately, her tell was found out and she paid some points for it but nonetheless she is a well-balanced ability/skill player... Takami will harvest everyone dry if you let her to do so... Seiko is... I think she likes fishing... As for Awaii... she will be serious so I think we'll see some of her serious ability if not abilities then... she's someone with a passive and trigger abilities then I suppose...

Taking on Shiraitodai is like going trhough a very dangerous dungeon where there's a very powerrful monster guarding the entrance just to go in... then inside lurks some powerful monsters as well and then leaving will to be going against a very powerful monster again...

Shiraitodai is not yet serious for all we know... now... Kiyosumi should bring the toughest school on Side B with them for when they will be facing Shiraitodai then will be in its all seriousness... abilities and skills will crash with each others... monsters versus monsters... Majhong sure is tanoshii...
tarajis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 02:30   Link #2664
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Shiraitodai is not yet serious for all we know... now... Kiyosumi should bring the toughest school on Side B with them for when they will be facing Shiraitodai then will be in its all seriousness... abilities and skills will crash with each others... monsters versus monsters... Majhong sure is tanoshii...
I dunno... that Awai seems going seriously after her 'orgasm' Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if she has another secret ability that she will not show in this match like Teru. Something like 'Galaxy Explosion' maybe?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 03:05   Link #2665
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I dunno... that Awai seems going seriously after her 'orgasm' Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if she has another secret ability that she will not show in this match like Teru. Something like 'Galaxy Explosion' maybe?
We need fan art/fan fic on Awai the Gemini saint using galaxian explosion. She is already showing the 2 faces of Gemini, the cute Awai and the fearsome Awai. Shizu will be the bronze who never gives up and finally awaken her 7th sense. Saki will be the final god that the bronze need to defeat. Hey, we can totally do a saint seiya x Saki story.

Awai must have another ability, otherwise Shiratoudai will crash out in disgrace, which will make one of the biggest trolling in manga.

Lots of discussion and most people said what I want to say already:

Shizu must show some kind of coolness, otherwise she will just be sitting there. The whole challenge is to explain why she didn't use it in the previous round, when she is facing 2 nameless player and she barely beat them. Maybe her ability takes a while before she can use it (thus Akado warming her up) or/and her ability is reflecting, so when facing nameless player she can't use it?

About Ryuka channeling Toki, maybe that is Toki's new ability after fainting? I don't think that is Ryuka's original ability. Otherwise she will be doing the one turn richi thing like Toki and famous for it. We will know more after the chapter come out.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 04:31   Link #2666
Qilin
Romanticist

Dang. So much discussion just from the release of the latest Achiga chapter...

Oh well. To diverge a bit, since the latest chapter of the main manga is finally translated, I figured that I had to comment on it somehow.

Spoiler for 107 main:

Yuuki is off to a really good start here. If she was only this awesome more often. I will be sure to take her more seriously from this chapter onward. Now, I have to wonder how long she'll be able to hold on to her dealer turn for.
Old 2013-01-09, 10:58   Link #2667
Snuffle
likes cute things

My guess on what Shizu's skill/ability could be:

Maybe something like old fighting games (thinking of Fatal Fury) where once your hp is down a certain amount, only then you are allowed to execute your super move. Meaning, Shizuno's skill or ability could be something like a crisis aversion or second wind kinda thing which gives her a chance of earning a winning position. Additionally, an ability like that would raise her tenpai rate drastically.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 14:24   Link #2668
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajis View Post
All I can say for the Ryuuka and Toki thing.... all those lap pillows Ryuuka had been giving Toki are paying off... good for you, Ryuuka...
Yeah, what's better than knowing that your wife will always be fighting alongside you (even in spirit).
Quote:
The talk about Shiraitodai not being as the strongest as they're thought to be, I still think they're the strongest and very cautious too... remember how Sumire said that they're gathering data about their opponents so they would want to reach the captain match to do so...but during the vanguard match seems to be that Teru is out to take out someone... well, I think it's just a case of Teru enjoying a match since she hadn't had a good one for a while but I think she'll actually stop not unless she enjoys it too much and forgets all about it...
Blame the announcer for that.
Kouko: She won’t let go of her pray. She will keep on going. UNTIL SHE CHOKES THE LIFE OUT OF SOMEONE!!! (That’s her expression.)
Teru: Hmm… this is tanoshii
Quote:
In Sumire's case, unfortunately, her tell was found out and she paid some points for it but nonetheless she is a well-balanced ability/skill player... Takami will harvest everyone dry if you let her to do so... Seiko is... I think she likes fishing... As for Awaii... she will be serious so I think we'll see some of her serious ability if not abilities then... she's someone with a passive and trigger abilities then I suppose...
This is the matter of your mileage vs. author’s mileage which can vary when it comes to how strong the strongest team should be.

As for me, I’m actually fine with Sumire having tell plus I enjoy seeing Yuu dodging her piercing shots, and I can accept Saiko being Shiraitodai’s weakest link, but this chapter is where I though this has gone a bit too far. Awai should just get serious from the start instead of giving opposing team any slightest chance of knocking Shiraitodai down to last place. That’s not very responsible of her, and it made her team image looked unnecessary weaker than what it should’ve been. But of course, I’m looking forward to see how truly monsterious Awai can be when next chapter comes out.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 15:41   Link #2669
King-Slayer

So 107 is out of QC? excellent.

I think Yuuki is been hanging around with Koromo too long and has started to pick up her trash talking and way of speaking. Her cape is also something that makes her more cool. I'm digging her new playing style, simply because if she's going with fast hands on top of her East Wind and Taco power, she's going to be very very hard to deal with. I also like Hisa saving this for the semi's because it just plain smart for one to bust out new moves in a competition like this and i think it shows tremendous confidence in her team.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-09, 18:33   Link #2670
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I think the reason why people might be a little dubious on any sudden "upgrade" on Shizu's part is because, well, things don't really match up with the progression a reader expects from what we've seen so far. Shizu displays a lot of the trademarks of your typical shounen hero, including not being too bright or observant... and yet Akado asks her to sit quietly for a while and study her opponents before counterattacking? How is this connected in any way to her "speed" warm-up? I suppose that it might have come up WHILE they were warming her up, but still...
Old 2013-01-09, 21:36   Link #2671
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think the reason why people might be a little dubious on any sudden "upgrade" on Shizu's part is because, well, things don't really match up with the progression a reader expects from what we've seen so far. Shizu displays a lot of the trademarks of your typical shounen hero, including not being too bright or observant... and yet Akado asks her to sit quietly for a while and study her opponents before counterattacking? How is this connected in any way to her "speed" warm-up? I suppose that it might have come up WHILE they were warming her up, but still...
Maybe we're just overthinking it and forgetting that being careful and thoughtful is what Shizu did the one time we've seen her play, and maybe it's supposed to be ironic that the shounen hero like girl is the one who does this.

Of course, then the problem becomes how to not make Shizu look like a poor man's Kyoko, but hopefully Ritz will take care of that.

I can't help but to think this is less a problem of setting up the situation and more of the people simply liking everyone else in the table better than Shizu. Why else would most of us be complaining about the one girl who isn't using magical lesbian powers to play?
Old 2013-01-10, 00:16   Link #2672
aly_angelflight

What? Shizu's ability is obviously the ability to change gears. Akado just wanted her to watch her opponents in the first half so she could choose the right gears! :P
aly_angelflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 06:14   Link #2673
arsonal
Saki Wiki Curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Slayer View Post
So 107 is out of QC? excellent.
It technically is still in QC. I went through it earlier this week and just gave the OK for archival.

Biyori BG 14 has been done for a while, but it seems Yuri Project has not archived it, so that release is delayed as well.
arsonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 19:11   Link #2674
Grand Phoenix
The Master of Turkeys

Saw this earlier today: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...to-16-episodes
Grand Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 22:35   Link #2675
The Green One

Interesting, then it seems there's going to be more to the final match then originally thought. Which would make me predict that there's three chapters left in the story, including this months.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 04:26   Link #2676
teja208
Critical fanboy

My prediction of the rest of Achiga:

Ep. 14 covers chp 15 and 16 ending with Mairu successfully pulling off 7-han reservation
Ep. 15 covers chp 17 and 18 ending with Awai going double riichi
Ep. 16 covers chp 19 and 20 Awai winning back, Shizu carrying out Akado's plan and Himeko may or may not pull off a yakuman, conclusion of Side A semifinal with ending credit showing the aftermath - probabily rushed compared to the manga
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 07:43   Link #2677
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Someone in /a/ translated the whole new chapter of Achiga. It seems that Toki power is fairly limited on Ryuuka and that she can only use it two more times (not to mention that she can only see her own winning tiles).

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-12, 10:34   Link #2678
Requiem-x
The slacking one

So, finally got around to reading 107 and...

Spoiler for 107:
Old 2013-01-12, 11:44   Link #2679
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
So, finally got around to reading 107 and...

Spoiler for 107:
The finals are the climax. More specifically, the final Captains' round, with Saki taking the stage for the championship. There are approximately two more games (the remainder of this semi-final round, minus Yuuki's first two renchans, and the majority of the rest of the finals) until that point.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 00:51   Link #2680
Rava

You know, the more I read and hear Shizu, the more I think her ability is..."Oblivious Comeback."
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri