AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2013-09-17, 07:14   Link #1
james0246

[Manga] Naruto Chapter 647 Discussion Thread

Welcome to the weekly manga chapter discussion thread. This thread is created early to discuss spoilers and speculation about the upcoming chapter as well as discussion of said chapter once it has been released.

As per the forums rules, please don't ask for or mention about where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc. Additionally, if you are posting another's synopsis (or their translation of a synopsis), then please provide credit were credit is due.

Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This stands for pictures and direct translations. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK as well if you want to illustrate your point but this is it.

Spoilers have been released.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 07:25   Link #2
shalala

Spoiler for 647:
shalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 08:08   Link #3
Tchadnis

oh this chapter gave a lot about Madara plan , dang the next one about to get epic
Old 2013-09-17, 09:13   Link #4
itachi-san314

shikamaru being nearly killed off screen was pretty lame. also how does madara know so much about this tree? the uchiha stone tablet must be pretty big if it gets down to time limits for the flower's budding when 2 bijou are missing...
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 09:22   Link #5
DKN117

Is Shikamaru dead or "just" dying? 'Cause if it's the latter, there's still the chance he might make it.
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 09:40   Link #6
GDB

Hard to say. They seem to still be trying to save him, but Sakura said it was too late too, so...
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 10:06   Link #7
Ihaxlikenoob
Nine Lives Blade Works

It looked like he stopped breathing, sooo.... yeah. T_T
Ihaxlikenoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 10:19   Link #8
james0246

I'm totes fine with Shiki dying. Kishimoto sucks at writing believably smart characters (they either go over the edge to pure hackerry ala Minato and Itachi, or their so called brilliant plans are generally just silly nonsense that only work because Kishimoto wills them to and then calls them genius), so I'm fine with all of them dying off right here and right now and just letting the story devolve to its most basic function: mindless fighting based on EXTREME emotions and lots of pontificating.
Old 2013-09-17, 10:26   Link #9
GDB

I like how, if he is dead, then his death is even more unceremonious than Neji's.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 11:06   Link #10
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I like how, if he is dead, then his death is even more unceremonious than Neji's.
To be fair, since Shiki is the only one Naruto actually knows, his current blubbering could be occurring entirely because of Shikimaru's supposed death. Consequently, his death would have actually had a greater impact on Naruto than Neji's.

...But, I doubt he's dead or will die.
Old 2013-09-17, 12:36   Link #11
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
Shikamaru isn't dead. He was never going to die. You forget who is writing this. Kishi did the same exact thing with Kakashi, Hinata, and Gaara. He takes a character with a large fanbase and puts them at the brink of death; to create an uproar. If Kishi was going to kill a semi-main character like Shikamaru, he would of milked it for everything. You would of had flashbacks and long goodbyes. He wouldn't offpanel him. Look at what stupid Neji even got!

Oh and look! A walking Phoenix Down who saved Sasuke from the brink of death just arrived. How convenient. Kishi needed a rookie in peril to try and make this lame battle feel dangerous. He couldn't use Kiba, Choji, or Shino, be because no one would care. And Hinata was already used for this. So he used Shikamaru. He'll probably see his father and Asuma. Who will say it's not his time and then he'll be magically healed to think of a plan.

It is just a cheap parlor trick, and felt tacked onto an otherwise boring chapter, to produce drama.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 13:29   Link #12
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
In retrospective it won't really matter if he dies or lives, because he will be resurrected anyway. Before the big fight against Tobito already about 60-70 thousand alliance shinobi died in various ways, last big mass killing was Madara's meteorite. I was quite sure then, like 99% that there will be a mass resurrection. And then came Tobito who also killed most of the remaining 10-20 thousand ninja. And it was obvious that it's only matter of time before named characters will begin to die. With Neji's death that 99% went up to 100%, and if Shikamaru dies it's like 1000%
Tobito wants to break Naruto's will, that was the theme for a long time now, and he's doing that by killing those close to Naruto, and he can do that if they don't have plot shield, and the only way Kishimoto does that if he plans to resurrect them. Well we all knew that this will get very emotional in the end, its how things work in this manga, it was like this from the start. At least the anime has good music for those parts
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 13:37   Link #13
Cookie-Monster

Can someone explain the last few pages? I didn't quite understand the translation?

Ie the panels involving people smiling [seemingly related to naruto's memories/feelings]

Wtf
Cookie-Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 14:06   Link #14
Artimus_Prime
The First Rasengan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie-Monster View Post
Can someone explain the last few pages? I didn't quite understand the translation?

Ie the panels involving people smiling [seemingly related to naruto's memories/feelings]

Wtf
(until the more eloquent posters here decide to chime in)
it seems that those with the kyuubi chakra cloak are able to internalize narutos feelings through the use of ino's mind transfer jutsu...in the last few panels he is regaining some resolve and that is being conveyed to the others in the alliance......i think

seeing as how hashirama no longer has the face paint, maybe madara has already stolen his sage chakra...or did the tree do that??
if madara hasn't, shodaime should just disconnect himself from the edo tensei contract before that happens.

ps.
im a little bit confused about the infinite tsukiyoim deal if there was not a moon until the sage of 6 defeated the juubi...
Old 2013-09-17, 14:15   Link #15
DarkRaven
GOD

I have the feeling that in the end all of them (including Neji and shikamaru) will come back to life via the Gedo rinne tensei no jutsu .. now who will perform the technique? i guess we'll have to wait lol
DarkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 14:30   Link #16
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRaven View Post
I have the feeling that in the end all of them (including Neji and shikamaru) will come back to life via the Gedo rinne tensei no jutsu .. now who will perform the technique? i guess we'll have to wait lol
We have more candidates than ever lol.
There's Sasuke who needs to do something very good to be considered a hokage candiadate. There's Tobito who will probably be converted by Naruto and Kakashi in the end. And some suggest that it could even be Naruto. My bet is on a Sasuke and Naruto combo right now, but Tobito might also be the one to do it, escpecially because despite he has only one rinnegan eye but by becoming the host of all those tailed beasts he has the huge amount of chakra needed to resurrect almost 80,000 ninja (not counting civilians who might have been hit by those long range chakra balls fired a few chapters ago) who dies in the past 2 days. I don't bet on Tobito because if he's defeated he might become too weak to do it, and currently i don't see how he would change his mind unless he is defeated and thus seriously weakened.

BTW, nice to see Orochimaru back in action, i hope he will do something interesting ( for some that would save the current story from being very boring for them ).
Old 2013-09-17, 14:36   Link #17
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

i don't think shikamaru is dead, he just got weak and fell unconscious i guess, kishimito wouldn't show a character like shikamaru die in the off panel atleast he would have focused on his death, if he was to die,
finally sasuke making some move and we have sasuke and naruto leading in full throttle, and only 15 minutes left to the new world and obito seems to be speeding it up or it seems that madara and obito are going to fight
Old 2013-09-17, 14:49   Link #18
Ulquiorra
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ulquiorra Send a message via AIM to Ulquiorra Send a message via Yahoo to Ulquiorra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
In retrospective it won't really matter if he dies or lives, because he will be resurrected anyway. Before the big fight against Tobito already about 60-70 thousand alliance shinobi died in various ways, last big mass killing was Madara's meteorite. I was quite sure then, like 99% that there will be a mass resurrection. And then came Tobito who also killed most of the remaining 10-20 thousand ninja. And it was obvious that it's only matter of time before named characters will begin to die. With Neji's death that 99% went up to 100%, and if Shikamaru dies it's like 1000%
Tobito wants to break Naruto's will, that was the theme for a long time now, and he's doing that by killing those close to Naruto, and he can do that if they don't have plot shield, and the only way Kishimoto does that if he plans to resurrect them. Well we all knew that this will get very emotional in the end, its how things work in this manga, it was like this from the start. At least the anime has good music for those parts
Since Shikamaru isn't dying there is no point in a resurrection. You'd only be bringing back Neji, Shikaku, and Inoichi. And third tier characters like Samui, Ao, and Mabui. Characters who all have no purpose in the manga. Kishi couldn't even kill the Kages.
Ulquiorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 15:39   Link #19
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Shikamaru's death will give Naruto the worst ending ever... since he's a likeable character like Itachi.. and he isn't in necessary position to die

well, I think I just waste my time by reading an emo chapter...
at least Tsunade can talk to her grandpa...

right now, we'll see susanoo-kyubi combo... (too bad that Sasuke joined his "Taka" team again... I wish he'll keep on team 7)
I'm hoping Kages will arrive in next chapter
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 18:20   Link #20
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulquiorra View Post
Characters who all have no purpose in the manga. Kishi couldn't even kill the Kages.
They have a purpose, that's why they live. Do you think Kishi will let this unprecedented mass murder stay like this? If the whole ninja army dies except some named elite that would be almost as bad as losing. The body count in this war doesn't fit in this manga, Kishi never killed large number of people in present time (sure a lot die in flashbacks, that is usual). That's why i believe these masses have to be resurrected somehow in the end. And of course resurrection is the same old trick that was also used in Kishimoto's favourite Dragon Ball. How epic and emotional were the deaths of Goku, Vegita, etc., but in the end they came back to life, even multiple times for some characters. And of course those who resurrect them will become legends. Not to mention that Kishimoto likes his evil characters to get some redemption and finally have a happy ending as a good guy. For Tobito the only way would be to resurrect all these people, because they died in the war that he started. Also for Kakashi it wouldn't be a happy ending if his childhood friend that inspired him his entire life would stay a mass murderer crazy man. And that can change if Tobito changes back to his old self.

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion