AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-06-09, 09:02   Link #3021
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Altering bodies is not clearly transmutation. Transmutation, as far as we've ever seen, is 100% about manipulation of the aura itself. That's why we see training exercises like forming numbers from 0-9. It's about fine-tuned control of what your aura is. The examples we see of transmutation hatsu are people who give tendrils of aura specific and useful properties. Gum, string, electricity... not one of them changes the form of a pre-existing object. Based on what we know of the categories, that sort of change is far more likely to be manipulation. Don't get too caught up on the name and ignore literally everything else we've ever been told.
The name has nothing to do with it. "Biscuit uses her transmutation to change her shape." is a stated fact. It's not my fault that the school descriptions can get vague sometimes. It's the same as Hisoka's Texture Surprise.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 11:39   Link #3022
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Decent episode although I can't say there was that much real development in the grander scheme of things, other than Colt getting his face smashed in. The fights were pretty much more of what we've already seen. The Ants deciding to fight one by one was kinda annoying but at least Kite's awesome scythe made up for it.

I suppose there was that small hint at the end that Gon's moral naivety might be his undoing but It's kinda mixed for me because I'd already decided not to pay attention to the moral aspects of the show any more. It always did my head in, especially when Gon was always portrayed as the moral compass. On the other hand it seems a lot like that's going to get subverted so maybe it'll be worth it now.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 11:57   Link #3023
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Gon a moral compass? Not really, he has his own morals that do not always fit in what normal western society would consider "normal". The best example would be his behavior during the Yorknew arc. Especially his anger towards Nobunaga.
Old 2013-06-09, 12:34   Link #3024
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 83-

Spoiler for Part 1:

-------------
Spoiler for Part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 12:49   Link #3025
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
The name has nothing to do with it. "Biscuit uses her transmutation to change her shape." is a stated fact. It's not my fault that the school descriptions can get vague sometimes. It's the same as Hisoka's Texture Surprise.
Again, please quote it ever being said in the manga. Her altering her body has, as far as i can see, never been attributed to any of the schools of nen. If it was ,it seems clearly a manipulation type of nen, too.
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 13:01   Link #3026
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Gon a moral compass? Not really, he has his own morals that do not always fit in what normal western society would consider "normal". The best example would be his behavior during the Yorknew arc. Especially his anger towards Nobunaga.
His attitude towards Nobunaga during that arm wrestling match is ironically one the few moments where I've felt it was justified, but it's always been clear to me that Gon had the moral compass despite that compass being blatantly broken at times.
Old 2013-06-09, 13:33   Link #3027
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Again, please quote it ever being said in the manga. Her altering her body has, as far as i can see, never been attributed to any of the schools of nen. If it was ,it seems clearly a manipulation type of nen, too.
I'm sorry, maybe this feels a bit cheap to you, but if it does, so be it. I'm not really interested in spending hours plowing through manga material just to prove something minor. If you want to believe your headcanon is more canon than actual canon, and wikis are written by people who don't know anything, go ahead.

Or perhaps YOU could explain to me how manipulation, a school that is about controlling the behavior of people, animals or objects, is "obviously" responsible for transforming someone's shape.

Last edited by Dengar; 2013-06-09 at 13:44.
Old 2013-06-09, 18:42   Link #3028
freeofgreed

Quote:
I'm sorry, maybe this feels a bit cheap to you, but if it does, so be it. I'm not really interested in spending hours plowing through manga material just to prove something minor. If you want to believe your headcanon is more canon than actual canon, and wikis are written by people who don't know anything, go ahead.

Or perhaps YOU could explain to me how manipulation, a school that is about controlling the behavior of people, animals or objects, is "obviously" responsible for transforming someone's shape.
Agreed, even though he's right in that I don't think her type was ever expressly stated, there's far more evidence supporting her being a trasnmuter than there is her not. Manipulation seems very unlikely.
freeofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 01:14   Link #3029
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
Agreed, even though he's right in that I don't think her type was ever expressly stated, there's far more evidence supporting her being a trasnmuter than there is her not. Manipulation seems very unlikely.
Changing one's body seems like standard manipulation ability, and the actual way she uses her ability seems like it too- it's possible she COULD be transmutation, but i don't see a single hint toward it beyond "Hisoka thinks so" (and transformation being closer to materialization).
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 01:32   Link #3030
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
Changing one's body seems like standard manipulation ability, and the actual way she uses her ability seems like it too-
How is changing one's body "standard manipulation ability"? Can you please explain this?
Old 2013-06-10, 02:30   Link #3031
Clarste
Human

Quote:
How is changing one's body "standard manipulation ability"? Can you please explain this?
Because it's about altering pre-existing objects. The different between moving something and rearranging it is negligible. How does transmutation have anything to do with it, other than the name?

Of course, it could also be neither and be Specialization or something.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 04:41   Link #3032
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

We don't even know if her transformation's nen based. It could just be an advanced form of Killua's technique (which gives him claws).
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 05:03   Link #3033
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I suppose there was that small hint at the end that Gon's moral naivety might be his undoing but It's kinda mixed for me because I'd already decided not to pay attention to the moral aspects of the show any more. It always did my head in, especially when Gon was always portrayed as the moral compass.
Gon's a moral compass? Since when? I guess it's about time I catch up to this show to see this for myself!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 07:37   Link #3034
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well off the top of my head, suppose the first example would be when Gon told the ship's captain to let Leorio and Kurapika fight each other in the first episode. It wasn't that bad then but it kinda built up, I felt.
Old 2013-06-10, 09:44   Link #3035
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Because it's about altering pre-existing objects. The different between moving something and rearranging it is negligible. How does transmutation have anything to do with it, other than the name?
Except.... Manipulation isn't about moving things, let alone rearranging things. Who's misinterpreting the definition of Nen schools now?
Old 2013-06-10, 10:42   Link #3036
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Except.... Manipulation isn't about moving things, let alone rearranging things. Who's misinterpreting the definition of Nen schools now?
Of course it's about moving things. The first example we see is the top-guy in the tower. Apparently he was pretty bad at it, but he was making the tops move around and attack things.

Unless you want to make some sort of distinction between moving something and ordering something to move? I personally don't really see any practical difference, at least in the results.
Old 2013-06-10, 10:45   Link #3037
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

There's also the water test. The sign of a manipulator is that the leaf moves. (But the sign of a transmuter is that the water changes its taste, so there's that.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 10:49   Link #3038
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
There's also the water test. The sign of a manipulator is that the leaf moves. (But the sign of a transmuter is that the water changes its taste, so there's that.)
Yeah, I didn't want to mention that because I don't think the taste thing makes sense, but I guess there's also that.
Old 2013-06-10, 10:55   Link #3039
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Because it's about altering pre-existing objects. The different between moving something and rearranging it is negligible.
Is it? I'm no sure. This isn't confirmed but I think the difference between manipulation and transmutation is the alteration of the mass and the properties of an object.

I think (again, it's no confirmed) that transmutation can alter the mass (from a big object to a tiny one, for example), and even chance the properties of an object's matter/substance (from liquid to solid, for example, or from aura to, say, electricity).

I don't think manipulation can do any of this. I think manipulation is just the ability to make objects or people do what you want them to, but it doesn't chance their properties.
Old 2013-06-10, 11:06   Link #3040
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Is it? I'm no sure. This isn't confirmed but I think the difference between manipulation and transmutation is the alteration of the mass and the properties of an object.

I think (again, it's no confirmed) that transmutation can alter the mass (from a big object to a tiny one, for example), and even chance the properties of an object's matter/substance (from liquid to solid, for example, or from aura to, say, electricity).

I don't think manipulation can do any of this. I think manipulation is just the ability to make objects or people do what you want them to, but it doesn't chance their properties.
If you make a piece of paper fold itself in half, isn't that changing its size? Do that on a molecular level and doesn't that change its properties?

Tags
action, shounen