AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-05, 00:46   Link #141
Justin Kim
*Artist

Oh god ew. I had auditions, especially for orchesteral groups. Whenever I want to try out for an orchestra group, I always have to play an orchesteral piece on the piano. Usually I go for the romantic genre in the classical field. But ugh, I feel so sorry for all those kids that simply have a huge nervous breakdown walking up to that huge full size Steinway Grand, and being gazed at by at least 10 panel judges. I remember my last competition, it was statewide - my brother fluked the beginning, and before he could play another 10 seconds into the song - the judges tapped a wine glass saying he was officially "done for." I usually don't get nervous, somehow my piano tutors taught me good methods of relaxation. For instance, proper breathing. You can never have cold fingers, or sweaty palms / hands during a performance. Cold fingers, will decrease your velocity, and make your playing / pedal work seem very rigid. (You will be playing very robotically). Sweaty palms just simply makes your playing seem so sloppy. It will sound as though you are slurring notes. Really playing the piano, and hitting the pedal at precise points is incredibly hard in a crowd of at least more than a hundred people. T_T
Justin Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 06:51   Link #142
Nosauz

well the worst thing about sweaty palms, is that sweat eventually gets to the keys and even if your playing well at the begining it really becomes a slippery slope when your hand does not feel like it normally does in practice. Well whenever I participated in comeptition just treated it like a sport, stock up on bananas and then bam out the gate. Still didn't help that the piano prodigy was always at these competitions, I mean the kid was a goddamn math international olympian isn't that enough... leave some spotlight for others!! grr!!! as you can see I'm quite competitive.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 09:47   Link #143
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I learnt piano at 4. Then I learnt the drums and electric guitar/bass myself in high school. I also learnt how to play the glockenspiel, vibraphone and xylophone in the school ensemble.

Currently learning the violin and doing up my guitar/bass and drums. They sucked.

Anyway Nosauz, you shouldn't call him a prodigy. A prodigy learns by passion, a pro-player learns for the sake of it. That is what make a prodigy stand out. Spotlight is something to be earned by yourself, besides music is so wide, what you can do is your style, your way. In a wide industry like this, all it takes is just the different feeling it gives to the player that makes it popular, like Jay Chou, Dragonforce, Dream Theater, just to quote a few.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 10:44   Link #144
Niv
AnimeRumor Ambassador

Used to play guitar, but I was getting nowhere with it XD

Meh, I prefer drama
Niv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 11:57   Link #145
Lord Uiruu

kick-ass electric guitar
Lord Uiruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 12:18   Link #146
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I learnt piano at 4. Then I learnt the drums and electric guitar/bass myself in high school. I also learnt how to play the glockenspiel, vibraphone and xylophone in the school ensemble.

Currently learning the violin and doing up my guitar/bass and drums. They sucked.

Anyway Nosauz, you shouldn't call him a prodigy. A prodigy learns by passion, a pro-player learns for the sake of it. That is what make a prodigy stand out. Spotlight is something to be earned by yourself, besides music is so wide, what you can do is your style, your way. In a wide industry like this, all it takes is just the different feeling it gives to the player that makes it popular, like Jay Chou, Dragonforce, Dream Theater, just to quote a few.
No this kid is a prodigy, basically he really only practices 30mins a day, he's a math olympian that was on an international math team, full ride to harvard, bascially our local genius, other kids came close to rivaling his mental capacity but they could only do so in one area, not in every field like he could. Though highschool science is a joke, he made quick work of math competitions, and things like national science course specific olympiads.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:07   Link #147
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
No this kid is a prodigy, basically he really only practices 30mins a day, he's a math olympian that was on an international math team, full ride to harvard, bascially our local genius, other kids came close to rivaling his mental capacity but they could only do so in one area, not in every field like he could. Though highschool science is a joke, he made quick work of math competitions, and things like national science course specific olympiads.
Those who don't take their actions seriously will eventually develop a mutual habit of doing so in society. For instance, a relationship for him, I highly don't see it working out. Those that probably date him, probably only see him for how smart and how successful he will become in the future. That is entirely an immature idealistic approach towards someone who doesn't take things seriously. I mean come on we really do blame ourselves at some points. It is the habitual instinct of a person to go for somebody that may seem good at everything, but inside they are lazy, lethargic, and pure scum when it comes to treating others. If he takes things seriously, then he is mature. I hate those who slack off, but are natural born geniuses. There are alot of participants in my piano competitions that are like that. Perfect pitch, and the ability to improvise right upon hearing the music.
Old 2009-04-05, 22:52   Link #148
Nosauz

I wouldn't make any judgements about him, you don't really know him, and he really isn't even a person I really associated with though we shared a couple of classes. Basically he was a cocky prick but he also did work hard to be the "best" at what he did, it didn't mean that most of students at my school weren't high achievers. I mean I went to a public hs, but top 30% went to ivy leagues and the many of the others went to the best state school, basically it was a very competitive area, hence people working so hard on music, science, and sports on top of their excellent academics.
Old 2009-04-06, 00:57   Link #149
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

I started playing the piano at 6 and around 9 I started playing the violin. So I was kinda like a super good piano player and a violin beginner but now I can say I'm skilled at both

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 01:23   Link #150
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Cello.

And my voice. :P
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 03:14   Link #151
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

mine is an acoustic Ax.

OK if you don't get it ask a musician whats an ax
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 06:34   Link #152
Justin Kim
*Artist

Quote:
I wouldn't make any judgements about him, you don't really know him, and he really isn't even a person I really associated with though we shared a couple of classes. Basically he was a cocky prick but he also did work hard to be the "best" at what he did, it didn't mean that most of students at my school weren't high achievers. I mean I went to a public hs, but top 30% went to ivy leagues and the many of the others went to the best state school, basically it was a very competitive area, hence people working so hard on music, science, and sports on top of their excellent academics.
Lol if you mentioned that earlier O_o, then I would have known that he chose to work his best in academics and everyday life.
Old 2009-04-06, 06:44   Link #153
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I would like to see how well he does in Iraq or Afghanistan. Most people like them are generally NATO, No Action Talk Only.

But given how cocky he is, it would be easy to force him to suicide. Complex minds can never think simple, that is why they are easily manipulated by socially proficient people.

I hate people who do well in academics. I have the capacity to do so, but I prefer to be laid back and lazy because there are much much more things to achieve in life than just numbers and words for an exam. That is why I dropped out of the top classes to a really below average high school after graduating from middle school.

The best are often those who improve the way games are being played. The idiots are those who played it that way, and the asses are those who manipulate the rules for their own personal gain (quite a number of the last in where I stay).

@ Justin - I came so close to being the kind of person you hate. IMO the paper chase isn't worth the fun and time you can have during your youth. The responsibility and image isn't worth the power gained anyway.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 06:45   Link #154
Aip Karasu
糞っ垂れ!!

Send a message via MSN to Aip Karasu
Drum, Bass, Guitar, & Piano!

I'm better on drum than the others
Aip Karasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 20:00   Link #155
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
did you ever have to go to all concert auditions? one of the worst experiences ever, my friend who also played the clarinet would psych out the competition by burning flight of the bumblebee twice its tempo with his insane tongueing while others warmed up for their auditions,while he was first chair all state i usually was like 2nd chair second clarinet. Any way those things were some of the worst experiences I had with band... sigh
Me... ummm. Not really. I used to do Piano auditions 2 years ago and I usually do good, but not perfect though because I make some minor mistakes...

The best way to get rid of the nervousness is to think that no one's there and just play... Worrying about it is going to add stress/nervousness which can cause you to make mistakes.
Old 2009-04-06, 20:49   Link #156
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I don't I could ever go for an audition, I hate the stress of people peering down at you. Though I often improv for my fellow choir mates (I sing a mean Baritone) while we wait for our teacher, I'll occasionally screw up a chord because of the pace and stick out my tongue and go on. Some people just can't take the stress and the expectations of people. That and I play for fun anyways.

Haha Saintless, I've that view point too, honestly I can't stand having to work so hard for something like school, well I guess I'll soon have to if I want to get into a good university.

I find cocky people annoying when they play piano . They'll play a complicated performance piece and smile at me like they've accomplished something. It's funny however as they sneer when I start playing "What grade is that?" "It's improv, why?" and then they'll go back to their respective corners.

Remember there are 2 types of pianists!

Piano Players And People Who Play The Piano.

Its important to play for your love and if you find a person who's better than you who shares that love; you won't find contempt but rather admiration and a special bond.

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 00:01   Link #157
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Well it's indeed quite annoying to see people who play the piano just to expect praise and show off how good they are. It's always a more better thing to play the piano because you love music and you care about making people happy with that music. Passion can lead you for endless distances but pride is always subject to downfalls.

It's alright to play by yourself and not be interested in playing for audiences but if you ever do, its important to try to take that music you're creating and use it to reach out to the audience.

Old 2009-04-07, 00:13   Link #158
Nosauz

Well when I was young I didn't really like classical, but after being forced to practice sonatas, etudes, fugues rondos, and all other forms of classical, I've found that I actually really enjoy that type of music. Through hardship you develop bonds with those things that cause friction so piano "players" are not necessarily bad. It just gets piano players aquianted with classical and really understand its merits, its complexities.
Old 2009-04-07, 00:23   Link #159
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Well when I was young I didn't really like classical, but after being forced to practice sonatas, etudes, fugues rondos, and all other forms of classical, I've found that I actually really enjoy that type of music. Through hardship you develop bonds with those things that cause friction so piano "players" are not necessarily bad. It just gets piano players aquianted with classical and really understand its merits, its complexities.
I started out that way. I didn't really like the idea of having a 2 hour piano class every Saturday. I was a kid and I wanted to have pure fun on Saturdays. The piano class kind of ruined it for me. When I look back I realize that 2 hours isn't really much but when I was a kid I really made fusses about it. But now I really appreciate my parents who gave me the opportunity to attain a very beautiful talent.

Old 2009-04-07, 00:26   Link #160
Nosauz

Really if it wasn't for piano, I'd probably be a pop junkie only listen to music thats on the radio, but now I enjoy anything that's good, even if its wierd or not mainstream. Piano is an innocuous way to experience some really amazing history. Thinking about how beethoven could write all those sonata's while being half deaf is amazing, or how bach bascially invented music theory.