AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-02, 12:44   Link #261
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalakTawus View Post
I have a new theory.
Maybe the big mistake that Claire is doing is thinking that to beat Priscilla she has to awaken and give up her human side.
What i mean is that when normal Claymore awaken they "fuse" with their yoma part,so when Claire awakens like this she only fuse with her yoma part too,so maybe to fuse with her "Teresa-part" she has to do a different kind of awakening,one that refuses to give up on her human side (and probably this awakening will have a normal-human look).
So to prevent Claire to make this fatal mistake Raph (or Teresa herself) stopped Claire's awakening since it was going to "the wrong direction".
I don't know if i explained my theory very well........
Meh, not really, since Clare's Yoma part is her Teresa part. It's because Clare was fused with Teresa's flesh that she has Yoma power. The only Yoma power she has is Teresa's. At least until she picked up Irene's arm. However, Teresa is where Clare got her core Yoma power. You make it sound like her Yoma power and Teresa's power are two different things. They're actually the same.
Old 2010-02-02, 12:46   Link #262
Weird D
Just existing...

What should I make of Priscilla and Clare in this chapter?

I did not expect Priscilla's goals to have anything to do with Raki, but I am surprised she did not react to his name, even just with an idle comment like 'Raki... I know someone with that name', or 'Clare... so you're the one he's looking for'. Sure, if she has reverted to her inhuman persona, such dismissal is not completely unexpected, harsh but understandable. What I do wonder is where does he stand now to her? While she admitted in the previous chapter that she ate the villagers, and has shown she has no problem eating ABs, Raki is still alive. So does that mean she remembers him on some level, or did she spare him for the same reason she spared Clare back then?

As for Clare, I'm seriously disappointed. Deneve admitted that she once wanted revenge against Yoma, but she grew out of it. Miria still seeks revenge against the Org, but I doubt she'd forsake her companions simply for a shot at revenge. Comparatively, isn't Clare a little immature for a woman at least in her mid-twenties, and at least 15 years after the deed? She's gone back to the classic emo avenger trip, 'I don't care about the world as long as I can kill her', even admitting she'd gladly toss away her humanity for that - something no Claymore would do. It feels like all her development since the beginning of the series was for naught. I haven't read an actual scanlation yet, but if she only wanted to meet Raki so she could say goodbye, it feels like a betrayal. Like their bond did not mean anything to her, especially when she knows how much she means to him. I'm not calling her manipulative or cruel, but she's quite selfish here.

While we knew that Raki was not Clare's absolute priority, since she said before leaving the north that he was only one of the reasons she had to leave, it now feels like he's not even a footnote to her. The worst thing is we know this is going to bite her in the ass sooner or later. There is now a good chance that if she meets Raki again, he will not be the person she knew, and the longer he stays in the Org, the worse it will get. If he becomes the Org's newest weapon, the Ghosts will have to fight him, possibly incurring losses. As such, Clare might end up with her comrades' blood on her hands, albeit indirectly, or she will have to kill her only friend.

Speaking of Raki, he sure has it rough in this chapter without even being in it : out of the two friends he has, one has pretty much forgotten him, and the other does not consider him important any more…
Old 2010-02-02, 12:51   Link #263
MalakTawus

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinethearcher View Post
It is the same i hope the manga will end. With an earthshaking awakening of a being made from clare and theresa which saves the humans from their own experiments and ends the war. Perhaps Raphaella simply stopped her because the memories of rafaella forced claire to instinctively do what s rafaella has learnd: Suppress someone else's yoki. It could be a fail save mechanism build in by rafaella but it could also simply pure instinct.
I agree.
Like you said i don't think that it was really Raph to stop Claire,but more like an instinct based on some knowledge eredited from Raph (something that Claire still hasn't "processed"),afterall Raph only left Claire her knowledge,not her soul.......instead if it was Teresa's work it could be possible that Teresa's soul directly stopped Claire,not a simple instinct.....too soon to understand,we have to wait the next chapters to have something more concrete.
Old 2010-02-02, 13:12   Link #264
MalakTawus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Meh, not really, since Clare's Yoma part is her Teresa part. It's because Clare was fused with Teresa's flesh that she has Yoma power. The only Yoma power she has is Teresa's. At least until she picked up Irene's arm. However, Teresa is where Clare got her core Yoma power. You make it sound like her Yoma power and Teresa's power are two different things. They're actually the same.
You don't understand my theory at all.
It's quite difficult for me to make it clear,but to make things more easy i could suggest you to imagine Teresa-part inside Claire like some sort of protection that stops Claire to do a normal full-awakening giving up her humanity (basically letting the yoma-part taking control).
The only way that Claire has to use her full powers (eredited from Teresa) is to do a different kind of awakening where she refuses to give up her umanity,so that only with the right state of mind she can really awaken (and like i said i suppose this awakening will have a human form).

So,the big mistake that Raph was talking about was the wrong state of mind (focusing only on revenge at all cost),and that's also why she said Claire that she'll have to understand throught her own body,knowing that she would fail to fully awaken.
Old 2010-02-02, 13:20   Link #265
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Send a message via AIM to Gangsta Spanksta Send a message via Yahoo to Gangsta Spanksta
Geez you Raki lovers are something. Somehow, Clare wanting to say goodbye to him is some sort of betrayal. She is making a mistake here, thinking that Raki is alright, but if she knew the situation he was in she would choose Raki over Fighting Priscilla. But anyway, you guys want a girl to give up all that matters for her for a guy, and if she doesn't she's being automatically selfish. Perhaps, many of you never experienced undying loyalty for a person, where if someone were to kill them you would sacrifice yourself for them. That is what Clare had for Teresa. Clare going after Priscilla can be seen as an expression of love as much as it can be seen as just Revenge. And it may say that Clare loved Teresa more than Raki, or it may not, but that it is just something she has to do; or she might have not completely figured out yet that being with Raki is more important. But to say a character hasn't developed because she doesn't exactly have your same moral viewpoint is a bit close minded. Heck, we could even talk about the double standards of viewpoints that if Clare was a guy, people would be more understanding of her going after the person that killed the most important loved one of hers, but just because she is a girl, she supposed to drop everything for Raki. :P And I'm not even sure their love is even Romantic, rather than the love for siblings, so the whole argument also centers on that, because it is also viewed more acceptable telling a sibbling goodbye in a story as you rush off to avenge the one you loved the most.
Old 2010-02-02, 13:21   Link #266
irvinethearcher
Angriest Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Think about the otherworldyl yoki of raciella which was that hard to detect that the eye needed an in depth scan for it. It could be that theresa's huge yoki reserves still lay dormant inside of her perhaps with even more than only the yoki alone if we consider that basically rafaella was nearly dead as well when one single small memory of clare meeting her in the woods was enough to reconstruct her consciousness. I think clare has far more memories of theresa than of rafaella.
It was only a theory like a candle that could be blown out in a slight breath, or like a mist that hovered within the darkness, this theory was so fragile that i even was afraid to speak of it... but
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta Spanksta View Post
Geez you Raki lovers are something. Somehow, Clare wanting to say goodbye to him is some sort of betrayal. She is making a mistake here, thinking that Raki is alright, but if she knew the situation he was in she would choose Raki over Fighting Priscilla. But anyway, you guys want a girl to give up all that matters for her for a guy, and if she doesn't she's being automatically selfish. Perhaps, many of you never experienced undying loyalty for a person, where if someone were to kill them you would sacrifice yourself for them. That is what Clare had for Teresa. Clare going after Priscilla can be seen as an expression of love as much as it can be seen as just Revenge. And it may say that Clare loved Teresa more than Raki, or it may not, but that it is just something she has to do; or she might have not completely figured out yet that being with Raki is more important. But to say a character hasn't developed because she doesn't exactly have your same moral viewpoint is a bit close minded. Heck, we could even talk about the double standards of viewpoints that if Clare was a guy, people would be more understanding of her going after the person that killed the most important loved one of hers, but just because she is a girl, she supposed to drop everything for Raki. :P And I'm not even sure their love is even Romantic, rather than the love for siblings, so the whole argument also centers on that, because it is also viewed more acceptable telling a sibbling goodbye in a story as you rush off to avenge the one you loved the most.
I understand clare, she was always someone i could relate too. Irene understood her too and didn't judge her.
Clare has to try even if she dies trying because living without trying is probably worth for her than dying.
Clare did enough for raki she has no obligation to him except that she promised him that they will meet again.

To say that clare didn't care about helen and deneve is wrong. She told them several times to leave and get away as far as they can. If clare wouldn't have engaged priscilla priscilla would have snacked on helen and deneve anyway.

Last edited by irvinethearcher; 2010-02-02 at 13:33.
Old 2010-02-02, 14:03   Link #267
Allie_k

Quote:
It has nothing to do with Clare being a woman or selfish. It's the fact that Raki dedicated the last seven years of his life to improve his skills, and finding Clare was his first priority. To Clare, Raki was an afterthought.

Unrequited love is a bitch
Old 2010-02-02, 14:08   Link #268
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Send a message via AIM to Gangsta Spanksta Send a message via Yahoo to Gangsta Spanksta
BTW, about Clare wanting to say goodbye to Raki, you guys are forgetting one possibility: Clare thinks that Raki has a daughter and possibly a wife. She may not want to be the third or fourth wheel, and being a woman she understand that some women, wives, don't even want the guy to keep their female friends around.
Old 2010-02-02, 14:23   Link #269
Allie_k

I never thought of that. I can't remember exactly (correct me if wrong), but Clare finds out Raki is traveling with a little girl in Rabona.

No girl likes extra competition
Old 2010-02-02, 14:23   Link #270
Arturro

Reading about Clares betrayal... well this topic is changing into romance manga topic, where supposed "cheating" is most important topic Sorry to disappoint you, this is dark fantasy, not romance manga.

IMHO Clare loves Raki, but only on subconscious level. Last time when she has seen him, he was a small boy, about 12 years old. Only a pedophile could consider a 12 years old child as a potential lover. So Clare is suppressing any thoughts of Raki as a lover, because she believe he is only her substitute brother.
Besides she has emotional problems. She was forced to see her family murdered on her eyes, then she was molested, or even raped, by yoma. She was rescued just to be abducted by yoma again, and when again rescued by Theresa, she was forced to see death of her substitute mother. Then she was turned into monster, feared by human, at the same time she was bullied by other warriors because of her weakness. In other words, she is a very insecure girl, probably believing she doesn't deserve to be happy or to be loved.
Whe she heard about Raki traveling with young girl, she looked hurt. Betrayed. Jealous. Hearing that Raki already has someone only strengthen her beliefs that she doesn't deserve to be loved. Typical misunderstanding for someone inexperienced in love and with low self esteem.
It's not surprising to go suicidal in her state on mind, especially when suddenly facing her arch enemy. Clare never betrayed Raki, she is just insecure girl, thinking she doesn't deserve to be loved.

Old 2010-02-02, 14:24   Link #271
Weird D
Just existing...

Quote:
Hey, what can I say, I'm somehow still hoping for a happy ending for these two.

No, I have never experienced such loyalty, however Clare has, and on both sides of the fence. Raki's devotion for clare matches the one Clare had for Teresa. But Teresa is dead, while Raki is still alive. Call me heartless, a bastard or a moron, but Clare should at least try to focus what she has instead of what she has lost ( preparing for massive insult bombing )

Also, I'm not criticizing her wanting to avenge Teresa, I'm annoyed at her rushing like that. The scene where the hero rushes at the murderer of his loved one with a battle cry is fine for an unstable teenage emo (I know, that character twisted my standards - I would probably take it better this scene didn't remind me of that one ). However, Clare knows that Priscilla is much stronger than her, and the events happened at least 15 years before... Couldn't she be a little more level headed instead of flipping like that?

And no, I am not saying that Clare should give up on her revenge. What annoys me is that she goes in with the intent to die, or rather no intention of surviving. Like after killing Priscilla, nothing else matters, because she has nothing left to live for, conveniently forgetting about the person who is ready to die for her. How would you feel if the person you love the most told you 'sorry, I like you, but you're not important enough for me to live even if I kill her'.

Quote:
BTW, about Clare wanting to say goodbye to Raki, you guys are forgetting one possibility: Clare thinks that Raki has a daughter and possibly a wife. She may not want to be the third or fourth wheel, and being a woman she understand that some women, wives, don't even want the guy to keep their female friends around.
Also, it is true that Yagi skipped on forcing Clare to reassess her priorities. That's why I regretted that Priscilla does not react to Raki's name.
Old 2010-02-02, 14:25   Link #272
Gangsta Spanksta
Fanfic Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie_k View Post
It has nothing to do with Clare being a woman or selfish. It's the fact that Raki dedicated the last seven years of his life to improve his skills, and finding Clare was his first priority. To Clare, Raki was an afterthought.

Unrequited love is a bitch
See you guys forget things, and take things out of perspective. After thought. After thought as in searching every single town in the north for clues that Raki was still alive. Nope, no loyalty or love there. :P
Old 2010-02-02, 14:44   Link #273
Allie_k

I agree with you, Weird D.

Quote:
See you guys forget things, and take things out of perspective. After thought. After thought as in searching every single town in the north for clues that Raki was still alive. Nope, no loyalty or love there. :P
I guess after thought was a little extreme, but can a girl not act emotional :b
Old 2010-02-02, 15:02   Link #274
Creangeru
posting in a retarded way

Quote:
[...]:P And I'm not even sure their love is even Romantic, rather than the love for siblings, so the whole argument also centers on that, because it is also viewed more acceptable telling a sibbling goodbye in a story as you rush off to avenge the one you loved the most.
If you kiss your siblings goodbye like Clare did with Raki when they parted, then well, Sir, you have a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
Reading about Clares betrayal... well this topic is changing into romance manga topic, where supposed "cheating" is most important topic Sorry to disappoint you, this is dark fantasy, not romance manga.

IMHO Clare loves Raki, but only on subconscious level. Last time when she has seen him, he was a small boy, about 12 years old. Only a pedophile could consider a 12 years old child as a potential lover. So Clare is suppressing any thoughts of Raki as a lover, because she believe he is only her substitute brother.
Besides she has emotional problems. She was forced to see her family murdered on her eyes, then she was molested, or even raped, by yoma. She was rescued just to be abducted by yoma again, and when again rescued by Theresa, she was forced to see death of her substitute mother. Then she was turned into monster, feared by human, at the same time she was bullied by other warriors because of her weakness. In other words, she is a very insecure girl, probably believing she doesn't deserve to be happy or to be loved.
Whe she heard about Raki traveling with young girl, she looked hurt. Betrayed. Jealous. Hearing that Raki already has someone only strengthen her beliefs that she doesn't deserve to be loved. Typical misunderstanding for someone inexperienced in love and with low self esteem.
It's not surprising to go suicidal in her state on mind, especially when suddenly facing her arch enemy. Clare never betrayed Raki, she is just insecure girl, thinking she doesn't deserve to be loved.
You must not forget the age Clare was in, when Raki traveled with her. She was how old? 15 maybe 17. Not that uncommon for a girl that age to fall for an 12 year old boy. At least for a girl, who got her parents killed and had to watch it, treated worse than dirt from the villagers, getting the only person killed, whom you loved after all the madness you went through, getting molested by Yoma, getting abused by Yoma and so forth. After all this, if your mind can still think more than chimichanga, you would still be emotionally retarded.
It is a bad comparison, but think about MJ. He was still on a level of a 10 year old kid and I wouldn't be too surprised to find out Clare is on the emotional level of a 10 year old or however old she was, when Teresa got killed and she was claymore-ized.
Old 2010-02-02, 15:52   Link #275
Traun
Tetris

I am with Gangsta Spanksta here. Clare is probably as powerful as she could get, if she is unable to defeat Pris. after those seven years she never will and she probably knows it. Seeing Pris in action is overwhelming, I am sure that Clare realized it the moment, she removed a part of her body with a kick. Let us not forget that all the sacrifices she made were for this moment, one more isn't that much when you look at it.

As far as Raki goes...Well the dude is obsessed with her, she on the other hand likes him (note: I did not say love), but let's face it, they spent what...a year together? She lived with the Ghosts for seven years, her bonds were not the type to overwrite her life goals. And while we probably see it as love vs revenge, I am sure that in Clare's head things are different.

P.S. Don't worry, we will be feeling pitty for Clare as soon as Raki choses Prissy over her(despite what happened)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta Spanksta
Now as a bit of a writer who constantly looks for plot holes and how to fix them, I must say you are quite quick to proclaim plot hole when there are plenty of paths Yagi can take that will make sense.
And until he does that this is a plot hole.
Old 2010-02-02, 15:55   Link #276
Gooral
Banned

I agree with Gangsta and Arturro. As Arturro wrote, AFAWK Clare had the worst life experience of all claymores. Sure, Ophelia, Priscilla or any average claymore had to watch their loved ones die too but weren't raped by someone who looked like their brother or rescued just to be pissed on later (Clare wasn't given a chance to become a claymore nor she was taken into custody after that) and because of that some other youma captured her and treated worse than a piece of meat. And she had to go through the same hell again after death of Teresa. But she didn't go crazy like Priscilla or Ophelia. Sure she goes berserk when someone talks about the monster who took everything she had, but that's only natural. So comparing her to Deneve or Miria (oh my, she lost a friend like every warrior...) is insulting to Clare.
Also, as Gangsta Spanksta pointed out as far as Clare knows Raki is happy now, travelling with his child (and he is wealthy enough to afford such a trip and powerful enough to survive potential youma/bandit attacks) so why would she even bother about him? Clare has always prioritized safety of her friends (either Raki's or fabulous 7's) over her Priscilla revenge. Nonetheless the one she wanted to kill the most appeared next to her and she didn't even have to lift a finger to find her - why would she resist to attack her? Priscilla is the bad guy after all, she killed masses of people (Clare knows about it from Riful and Ophelia) and at least 3 claymores and that's not sth that can be forgotten. Rational thing to do would be to stop such a monster even if it appeared to be harmless (i.e. if it was in a form Galk and Sid saw). There would always be a good chance that she would snap and more people would die. If Priscilla was truly a good person and not a monster she would offer her head herself (and not use this to cheap-shot someone but die). I don't see a single reason why she would be left alive. Many, many claymores offered their lives (including first friend of Clare) and the monster that butchered people should live?

And I don't really get why would Clare even want to meet up with Raki other than to keep her promise. She knew him for like a week? A month maybe? And she was and adult woman then, she didn't need this kid at all and I didn't notice any bond between them. Sure, she saved him (3 times), he saved her but I got the impression she would do the same to any child. Maybe Raki fell in love with her but other than that kiss nothing indicates she shared his feelings. To me it looked like she allowed him to come with her out of pity and her own experience but that was about it (probably her travels with Raki reminded her of Teresa).
Her relationship with Teresa is a different story though. She was a child then and has met a person that was exactly like her - damaged. Clare could be with nice people after she was saved from youma but she saw sth in Teresa and decided to go with her despite Teresa's hostility (like kicking her in a stomach or trying to lose her). All in all they both gave each other sth invaluable and their lives became meaningful. I didn't see anything like that with Raki. Did she even smile when she was with him? Because when she was with Teresa she was smiling all the time.

@Creangeru
Clare's behaviour proves that you're wrong by calling her "emotionally retarded" (look for example at her behaviour after Jean died). Even though she suffered so much she's still a good person although withdrawn (which actually tells us she's normal, who in his right mind would talk about such experiences and recall painful memories?). Does this person look like retarded emotionally? I would say she's more mature than MJ ever was ;P. I could agree with you that Clare was "emotionally retarded" but only until she met Teresa. From being speechless and gloomy she became a cheerful, talkative girl. Well, the kiss could prove me wrong but I'm not sure that other claymores would know how to kiss a child either (since MiB train them in only prostitute's way ).
Old 2010-02-02, 16:11   Link #277
Lolailo

I really hope Clare dies
Old 2010-02-02, 16:12   Link #278
Joe_fh

I completely agree with what Gooral just said even though I think most of the things he, Gangsta and Arturro mentioned go without saying and were something that was emphasized on on several occasions. Clare's emotionl state is one of the most important parts of the story. Or at least if you look past the battles, MiB world domination schemes and the like.

Everything I have to say about this is pretty much already said so I'll refrain from writing something long that repeats the above. Besides it's very well said
Old 2010-02-02, 16:36   Link #279
irvinethearcher
Angriest Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolailo View Post
I really hope Clare dies
What a high quality first post
Sometimes i really wonder where comes all the love for that "thing" priscilla and all those hate for poor and brave clare.
I think that clare was always a special child was shown in the theresa arc and irene admired her too.
Priscilla looks cute but that's it for her nice attributes. She is like gollum a twisted psycho bitch who can not be trusted.
Old 2010-02-02, 16:48   Link #280
Lolailo

Both Clare and Priscila, are the most predictable and boring characters in the whole manga. I hope they kill each other, now that would be unexpected
I'd rather have Yuma as a protagonist.

Claymore needs to move on to another topic and have everybody shut up about Clare, Raki, Priscila and Teresa.
Closed Thread