AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 40 33.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 33.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 23.97%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 6.61%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.65%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.83%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-09, 20:44   Link #301
Dr. Casey

Ah, I see. Good to hear. I do miss the standard series length being 26 episodes, but if it was planned to be 13 from the start that's fine. At least we have eight more episodes of the second best anime ever (Second only to School Days, which Triple still needs to watch and blog about down at the Rabbit Hole).
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 21:37   Link #302
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
While I'm one of those who want Mami to come back as well, Gen Urobuchi has gone on to mention relatively recently on his Twitter that, had Madoka been greenlit 26 episodes instead of the 12 it had now, we WOULD be seeing Mami again... Or lookalikes anyway, to mess with Madoka's mind (he mentioned a waitress at a cafe, or a lifeguard at the beach as examples). So, don't trust the current OP.
Urobuchi was just messing with people. What he actually said was more of... (a bit of distortion)

"lol if this anime was 2-cour series instead of one, we could've had more Mami moments... llike beach scene... exciting.... LOL SORRY I LIED LOLOL (THAT WON'T HAPPEN LOLOL)"

This guy has absolutely no guilty of killing her. Duh
Old 2011-02-10, 02:54   Link #303
garbage

i think not telling sayaka about kyoko IS a big point aginst QB. and a big disservice to sayaka. Knowledge is power.
however you might justify that telling her MIGHT make things worse. those are just speculations, i can just as easily speculate a number of possible alternatives that sayaka could have done with the knowledge that would have mabe a better result than both of them clashing.

of course she could HAVE MADE a wrong action regardless, like as someone keeps on using as example ( and this is NOT the only possibility) she would SUDDENLY get out of her way to track this other girl MG and ATTACK her. knowing full well she just got her powers and the other would almost certainly be more experienced than her. well she might be hard headed but i dont see her as particualrly that dumb.

well for me its pointless to argue the merit of the action , without the accompanying context, surroundings.
best for QB in preventing the clash would have been
1) tell kyoko not only that there is another STRANGE MG ( Homura) that might intervene. and like another poster said : there might possibly even be another STRONGER MG that might intervene against her if she insists on going against the newbie sayaka. QB doesn't have to tell kyoko about madoka at all, thereby not putting any risk that kyoko would also go against madokoa.
2) tell sakaya about kyoko, and particualry kyoko's quirk and intent BUT ALSO warn her against fighting (which of course i think kyoko would not do as opposed to others... but just in case) AND explain why kyoko is doing so...explaining about grief seeds, gems withces and all
wow this would actually have been a good chance for him to explain the REAL DEAL and true workings of the MG world/system.

but of course QB didn't do any of the above... why? well hopefully the next few episodes will explain

P.S. oh a lot of replies from my previous post
i never said kyoko is "EVIL" per se, but rather her actions at that point when she let the familiar go knowing full well it will harm others IS EVIL... well you know MG and all she's still a kid ( just like sayaka, and madoka ) might be she's not yet fully morally matured and stuff... ^^ hmm homura might be the most matured in terms of acting for her morals, ideals.
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 12:59   Link #304
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
"lol if this anime was 2-cour series instead of one, we could've had more Mami moments... llike beach scene... exciting.... LOL SORRY I LIED LOLOL (THAT WON'T HAPPEN LOLOL)"

This guy has absolutely no guilty of killing her. Duh
A little off-topic but isn't he the same guy behind fate/zero? Is Madoka a taste of (worse) things to come?

(don't mean worse in a bad way, currently I kind of like his ballsy style)
Old 2011-02-10, 15:38   Link #305
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
A little off-topic but isn't he the same guy behind fate/zero? Is Madoka a taste of (worse) things to come?

(don't mean worse in a bad way, currently I kind of like his ballsy style)
Yes, he is. From what I heard, Fate/Zero is waaaay "darker".
Old 2011-02-10, 15:41   Link #306
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yes, he is. From what I heard, Fate/Zero is waaaay "darker".
That it is. Regarding F/Z I really need an announcement date for when the anime starts, so I can start preparing to get mindf*cked less. Madoka is a good start so I can get used to it.
Old 2011-03-24, 22:59   Link #307
MrSandman

Sandman here, [insert witty phrase/meme/quote] 2 cents!

Spoiler for Madoka Magica Episode 5:
MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 23:08   Link #308
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Sidenote to Mrsandman

If you're planning on watching episode 6 soon,watch out,both GG and nutbladder mistranslated parts of that episode and it lead to quite a bit of confusion at the time,Yesy are the only ones that got it right.
Old 2011-03-24, 23:22   Link #309
MrSandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Sidenote to Mrsandman

If you're planning on watching episode 6 soon,watch out,both GG and nutbladder mistranslated parts of that episode and it lead to quite a bit of confusion at the time,Yesy are the only ones that got it right.
Nawww....It couldn't be that bad could it? *turns on episode*

Madoka: What happen?
Homura: Someone set us up the bomb
Sayaka: What you say!
Kyubey: How are you gentlemen!
Madoka: What you say!
Kyubey: All your magic girls are belonging to me.

Sayaka: For great justice, launch every zig!
MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 21:50   Link #310
User68604
Disabled By Request

excellent episode..

i see people are antsy about why madoka doesnt convert quicker...

personally, its about the journey and the WHY that is the most interesting for conversion. watching her go through the despair of a life-changing decision is what keeps the character development very high.

kyuubey is one interesting animal..manipulative under a cute guise.

LOVE THIS SERIES!
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 20:02   Link #311
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Bit of a Sayaka based episode here, which I've been waiting for ever since they first introduced her subplot. As expected she used her wish to help heal her friend and she also made a particular point whether intended or not that raises some questions. Why exactly is it that there is a limit of only one magical girl per area? She's probably right, if she were able to fight alongside Mami she'd probably still be here right now. It's almost like the system is set up to screw people over like Mami said and keep the revolving door of magical girls going since the odds are progressively more and more stacked against them.

Also sassy fang MG shows up again for a little bit and her character comes off yet again as kind of arrogant. I'm looking to see her put her money where her mouth is much like Akemi did in episode 03 instead of just being all bluster and bullying complete rookies like Sayaka who she frankly doesn't seem all that much more skilled then. There's also a dialogue between Madoka and Akemi that I think serves to nicely show their contrasting views on what it means to be a magical girl. Madoka uses the example of Sayaka to show how she admires strong courageous people with big hearts, but Akemi shoots her down by saying that reckless courage and overly selfless tendencies are what gets people like Mami killed. Somehow I think both of them are in the right as well as in the wrong, but Akemi is morseo in terms of both extremes. I think it's gotta be a blend of courage and the willingness to protect something with the reservation to know when you are in over your head. Akemi demonstrated that quite nicely in how she chose to fight snowman face monster in episode 03 when instead of charging in thinking the prey was easy like Mami, she let the thing attack a bit while dodging until she saw an opening where she could dispatch it. However, I also think Akemi's way of thinking is a little too cynical and has no way of solving anything. Just giving up on Sayaka and labelling her for dead solves absolutely nothing whatsoever. Perhaps Akemi and Madoka need to act as a tempering for each others philosophies in order to find a solution to the witch problem.

I definitely don't agree with sassy fang girl's philosophy of letting people get taken by the witches so she can then hunt them. Madoka makes perfect sense to me? Why would you even think of doing something like that unless you're a total psycopath like this girl comes across as? The magical girl doesn't seem much better than the witch in this case. In fact she comes off as worse since the witches just seem to be acting on instinct and their own biological nature whereas it's very much in the power of the magical girls to conciously choose how they want to put their power to use.

Anyway, I had to laugh at how Sayaka basically started the fight off by throwing swords at a children's drawing. This show never ceases to astound and blast completely through my suspension of disbelief when it comes to the witch designs. Sayaka's fighting style was really cool, but again what is she even supposed to have been trying to fight?

Speaking of designs, I kind of have to bring this up at this point....is it just me or does the storyboarder for this show seem to have a thing for showing off the girls legs. Many scenes in this show seem to have at least one shot that lingers on a girls legs (they'll be the only thing in the frame most of the time and if not they'll be right dead in the centre of the shot) doing something, to the point where I can now tell anybody exactly what type of leggings each particular girl wears. Guess it's this shows style of having light fanservice.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-03, 20:41   Link #312
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Another excellent episode review, Kaioshin. It's great to read your takes on these episodes.

Your take on the philosophical conflicts presented in this episode is very close (if not identical) to my own, and I find them refreshing given that not many people shared my views there back when this was watched "live" by a lot of us.

I would also say that my assessments of the key characters in this anime, after I first watched Episode 5 several months back, was very close to what yours is now.

To address one particular point you raised that's totally new (to the best of my knowledge), and is a keen observation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post

Speaking of designs, I kind of have to bring this up at this point....is it just me or does the storyboarder for this show seem to have a thing for showing off the girls legs. Many scenes in this show seem to have at least one shot that lingers on a girls legs (they'll be the only thing in the frame most of the time and if not they'll be right dead in the centre of the shot) doing something, to the point where I can now tell anybody exactly what type of leggings each particular girl wears. Guess it's this shows style of having light fanservice.
Good pickup. And yeah, perhaps this was the show's way of having light fanservice. I will admit that it had a slightly arousing effect on me two or three times.
Old 2011-08-03, 21:23   Link #313
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Because getting grief seeds requires the defeating of witches, a dangerous task, conflicts can easily arise if more than one PM wants the seed. It's possible that they could share, but some would rather look out for their interests first; it's at this point that we realize these magi are not the best of people and some have completely tossed away stuff like morality.

And yes, it's a pretty rigged system. Almost feels like a pyramid scheme doesn't it?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote