AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-01-29, 14:12   Link #1
Lawfer

Looking for Animes like D.Gray-Man, Fairy Tail, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Any suggestions for similar animes?
Old 2011-01-29, 14:48   Link #2
Seishin
私は、和のかがみのココロ

Send a message via MSN to Seishin
I have a few.
Quote:
Soul Eater
In a bizarre fantasy world, students known as meisters are trained at the illustrious Shinigami Weapon Meister University; but the tools they wield are no ordinary weapons! Each meister is paired with a human-like being who can transform into a weapon at will; and after defeating a pre-kishin - a human whose soul has darkened - the weapon eats the soul within it. A meister's ultimate goal is to collect ninety-nine pre-kishin souls and one of a witch so that his or her partner will become an all-powerful Death Scythe. Maka and her partner Soul Eater; Assassin Black Star and his partner Demon Blade Tsubaki; and Shinigami's son Death the Kid and his partners the Demon Twin Pistol Thompson Sisters each vie for their ultimate goal, but plenty of challenges and adventures lie in their way!
Quote:

Rave Master/Groove Adventure Rave

Fifty years ago, the Demon Stone and RAVE (two powerful artifacts) are broken and scattered throughout the world. The story follows the journey of Haru Glory; during his travels he meets many new friends and allies, and also enemies known as the Daemon Card. He will have to use the powers given to him by RAVE to defeat the Daemon Card and find the other pieces of RAVE.
You could give these two a shot as they have very similar themes. Soul Eater is vaguely similar to D.Gray-Man and Rave Master has quite a few similarities to Fairy Tail. In addition, you could always look into Bleach and Naruto as well, most would recommend them for anyone who has enjoyed Inuyasha, being mainstream as well.
Old 2011-01-29, 15:32   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I might give Pandora Hearts a try. Not so much the others, but it does remind me of D.Gray Man a bit - the gothic look, the intensely emo situations, the strong relationships between the major characters.
Old 2011-01-29, 17:51   Link #4
kitten320

Bleach

^Better don't.

If to be seriouse then how about original FMA series?
Then there are also Soul Eater, Pandora hearts, One Piece (didn't watch myself), Reborn... just what exactly did you like in those 3 because it is hard to suggest something just based on that =/
Old 2011-01-30, 04:31   Link #5
Lawfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Bleach

^Better don't.
Aren't Bleach and Naruto kid's shows?

Quote:
If to be seriouse then how about original FMA series?
Isn't the original FMA just the same storty as FMA: Brotherhood?

Quote:
just what exactly did you like in those 3 because it is hard to suggest something just based on that =/
Aren't all those 3 anime basically "Shonen"? Get Backers and Busou Renkin would fit in this category as well.
Old 2011-01-30, 07:39   Link #6
Aqua Knight

Katekyoshi Hitman Reborn
But it can seem to childish
Old 2011-01-30, 07:46   Link #7
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I second Soul Eater. Along with that, I'd recommend...

S-Cry-Ed - Pretty solid 26 episode shonen show from a few years ago.

Sola - Romantic drama, but with a darker and frequently gothic atmosphere. Some decent action scenes.

Fate/Stay Night - Similar to Sola, only much more action-packed.

Rozen Maiden - Somewhat gothic character designs. Living dolls in a Highlander-style conflict with one another, basically. Pretty action-packed, but a different style than typical shonen. Some interesting humor along the way, imo. This is where the "Desu!" meme originated from.

Ga-Rei Zero - Very action-packed. A darker show.
Old 2011-01-30, 08:37   Link #8
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfer View Post
Aren't Bleach and Naruto kid's shows?
Maybe I'm wrong but shows you mentioned also are more like kid shows... actually all shounen is more for kids in my eyes... or at least 15 years old... so yeh...

Fairy Tail really doesn't look adult like for me even though I like it.

Quote:
Isn't the original FMA just the same storty as FMA: Brotherhood?
Nope, the story is so much different that you could call it a different show all together.
Since it is the original anime, it does have a longer and more detailed introduction so it will seem repetitive a bit but major changes start to appear already when Ed and Al invade the 5th laboratory.
So if you will be patient, your wait will be paid off^^
So yeh I do recommend it, I also think that original anime is more dramatic.

Quote:
Aren't all those 3 anime basically "Shonen"? Get Backers and Busou Renkin would fit in this category as well.
Well if it is just shounen that you want... here you go:

Claymore - this one is brutal and for older generation
Fate/Stay Night
GTO
Inuyasha
Nurarihyon no Mago
Pandore Hearts
Soul Eater

If you are fine with any other action shows then:
Toaru Majutsu no Index
07-Ghost

Baccano! - more brutal and with guns
Canaan - guns
Code Geass - mecha
Full Metal Panic - mecha
Ga-Rei Zero - more brutal
Hakuouki
Mai HiME

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - guns, dark and deep story
Senjou no Valkyria: Gallian Chronicles - guns
Old 2011-01-30, 09:51   Link #9
Lawfer

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong but shows you mentioned also are more like kid shows...
Fairy Tail, D.Gray-Man, Full Metal Alchemist, Soul Eater etc... are definitly not Seinen, but I doubt they are suitable for 10 years old, well maybe Fairy Tail is (due to lack of blood), but they are still serious show enough.

Whereas, Naruto and Bleach (and probably One Piece too) give the impression that they are even more aimed for kids than D.Gray-Man or Full Metal Alchemist are.

Quote:
Nope, the story is so much different that you could call it a different show all together.

Since it is the original anime, it does have a longer and more detailed introduction so it will seem repetitive a bit but major changes start to appear already when Ed and Al invade the 5th laboratory.
So if you will be patient, your wait will be paid off^^
So yeh I do recommend it, I also think that original anime is more dramatic.
I see, I did read on the internet that Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood was a remake of Full Metal Alchemist, so it did not seem like the original one was too important.

Quote:
Well if it is just shounen that you want... here you go:

Pandore Hearts
Soul Eater
I am actually watching Soul Easter right now, as you and others have recommanded it, it's a pretty good show so far. I see that Pandora Hearts is mentioned a couple times as well, will check it out too.

Isn't Gintama a similar show too?
Old 2011-01-30, 10:25   Link #10
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfer View Post
Fairy Tail, D.Gray-Man, Full Metal Alchemist, Soul Eater etc... are definitly not Seinen, but I doubt they are suitable for 10 years old, well maybe Fairy Tail is (due to lack of blood), but they are still serious show enough.

Whereas, Naruto and Bleach (and probably One Piece too) give the impression that they are even more aimed for kids than D.Gray-Man or Full Metal Alchemist are.
Well those 3 do have blood too
But I can agree 100% that Bleach definetly is aimed for kids because of how it is build and how many plot holes it has... If take out blood, it will be a real fairy tale, so yeh avoid Bleach at any cost!
But you can give a try to Naruto and One Piece (never watched it myself though but Fairy Tail is compared to it a lot). If it won't click, then it is not for you

Quote:
I see, I did read on the internet that Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood was a remake of Full Metal Alchemist, so it did not seem like the original one was too important.
The thing is that original FMA series have original anime story while Brotherhood follows the manga. It is kind of a remake since begining is pretty much similar but once you get pass the similarity point it will become a completly different story.
Some of the characters will get less screen time and bad ass moments as in Brotherhood while others will get more. Also some characters are missing in 1st FMA but it also has some new characters.
There are a lot of arguments about which season is better so in order to judge it, I really recommend you to watch it yourself and make the conclusion. But I'm sure that you won't regret watching it.

Quote:
I am actually watching Soul Easter right now, as you and others have recommanded it, it's a pretty good show so far. I see that Pandora Hearts is mentioned a couple times as well, will check it out too.

Isn't Gintama a similar show too?
One warning though, Soul Eater series are also anime original but difference is only in the ending so if you will enjoy series then you can check manga which goes further.

Pandora Hearts also have an ongoing manga.

Well... I myself didn't like Gintama for simple reason that I don't like ridiculose comedy...
I didn't get far into the show but as far as I undertood it is basicly a parody on many other shows out there with it original story too and basicly those are just 1-2 episode arcs...
Does have action moments but for me they were too silly... and not big fan of character designs except maybe few.

However, it is better for you to watch it yourself and decide. But if you are into something seriouse with actual story, I don't think it will do...
Old 2012-03-10, 20:45   Link #11
Andjral

bleach is not based towards kids
Old 2012-03-10, 22:31   Link #12
Kirarakim

Okay I am going to recommend Gurren Lagann because I think it gives the feel of a shounen series in only 27 episodes.

However if you are into something longer the new Hunter X Hunter is pretty fun and it literally just started so there isn't too many episodes to catch up on. The 22 episode is airing this week.

edit: I would also recommend Tiger & Bunny which is a really good buddy cop homage to Western Super Hero show.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-03-10 at 22:49.
Old 2012-03-10, 23:50   Link #13
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
To Aru Majutsu no Index and Black Rock Shooter have dark atmospheric stories packed with action, comedy, and the supernatural.
Old 2012-03-11, 00:06   Link #14
Eragon
Still Alive

As kitten320 suggested the original FMA series is definetly worth the try. Also seconding Claymore and Gurren Lagann.
Well, since you want shows that aren't for kids, here are my recommendations
Samurai Champloo
Blood+
GunXSword
Berserk
Hellsing OVA
Phantom - Requiem for the Phantom
Old 2012-03-11, 03:29   Link #15
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

You could pick Rurouni Kenshin and Shakugan no Shana.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-03-11, 10:06   Link #16
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjral View Post
bleach is not based towards kids
Considering that there is an overload of positive characters and not a single one had died even after getting cut in half I say it is kids show!

I'm 21 and I don't buy this immortality shit.
Old 2012-03-11, 10:29   Link #17
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Considering that there is an overload of positive characters and not a single one had died even after getting cut in half I say it is kids show!

I'm 21 and I don't buy this immortality shit.
That's right ! Most of mainstream shounen (Naruto, Bleach and any shounen aired at daytime slot) is mainly targeted towards young males (from late elementary school years up to late highschool years).
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-03-11, 11:56   Link #18
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Not defending Bleach or anything(I agree it is childish), but characters have died in it - even if they weren't human(like Ulquiorra). I guess its more the authors fault that none of the currently long running shounen titles have any sense of (real)mortal danger in them(don't know about One Piece, but guessing its the same)
Old 2012-03-11, 11:56   Link #19
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Power Stone (forgot the real name)
Old 2012-03-11, 14:37   Link #20
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Not defending Bleach or anything(I agree it is childish), but characters have died in it - even if they weren't human(like Ulquiorra). I guess its more the authors fault that none of the currently long running shounen titles have any sense of (real)mortal danger in them(don't know about One Piece, but guessing its the same)
I said positive characters on purpose
Bad guys dying is a norm in any age show.
The so called Big War was a joke 100% kids material
The only good thing left about it are characters.