AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-08, 10:53   Link #2821
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Basically that's more or less the same relation that exists between E7 and AO.
As long robotics doesn't fuck around with everything that was achieved on steins gate, there is no problem. And AO did exactly that and many more.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 10:58   Link #2822
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The relationship between Renton and Eureka is a mix of both.
Eureka then was an incredibly inconsistent character. It may be that it's part of the plot since she is supposed to "change", but it was jarring nonetheless. She was a cold killer machine at first, then a strong willed Rei (I'll do everything that Holland tells me), then she goes in depression mode, then she turns deredere but she doesn't want to kill anyone anymore.
I wouldn't call that so much inconsistent as I would character development. (Although I might have described those changes a different way).

Quote:
But the worst part of Eureka seven were the last episodes, so many bad conceived twists and ass pulls, really rubbed me the wrong way. Holland somehow acquires a completely robotic... robot, suddenly without any previous mention. They throw in an ad-hoc justification as to why they were never used before (it's bad for your health!). Holland seems to be on verge on death at one point, but two days later he is perfectly all right, okay.
Huh? The Devilfish wasn't fully mechanical. It had an archetype. It didn't have a limiter, which, true, I don't remember having been mentioned before, but it's such a minor detail that I don't think it merited foreshadowing at all. Yeah, they said it was bad for the pilot's health was the reason. So what? They can't reveal any new bits of information towards the end of the show unless they've mentioned it before? It's not like it didn't make sense, or was in direct contradiction to some previous aspect of the show.

Quote:
Anemone change of heart was also way too sudden to my liking. Dominic believes he can stop her even if he's always been treated like shit by her until that point. But well, Anemone conveniently realizes she loves him by herself right at the most crucial moment. They are suddenly a happy couple ready for marriage.
It does seem a bit sudden. But there are some hints of her changing feelings scattered around beforehand, which I think are easier to pick up on a second watch.

Quote:
Then you get Dewey who somehow managed to fuse with a compac drive, even if he isn't a monk or anything and even if hundreds failed and died. How did he manage that? When did he do that? How come simply with that he can become a human switch to trigger armaggedon? How does that even work? And why did Bear know?
As for how he managed it, the show doesn't go into detail because it's not really the logistics of his plan that are important, it's the plan itself. You just have to do the imaginative work yourself, if you're that concerned about it. Norb got his compac from Sakuya; we know Dewey was doing mad scientist experiments to create girls like Sakuya and Eureka, so probably it was another crazy experiment that embedded the drive in his chest. Same with the trigger. Maybe it's a little confusing, but ultimately, it's just not that important in the face of the characters and the plot and everything else that's going on.

Quote:
But there's one thing that I agree with everyone else. The characters in AO are very weak, especially Fleur and Elena, who are supposed to be pretty important. If there's one thing that the original series had, were very interesting and powerful characters, and that is why in spite of everything that I said, I can say that I have in fact enjoyed Eureka Seven. I wish the story was a little more solid, but in the end it was an enjoyable show and I'm not really regretting to have watched it.
Glad you enjoyed it

Quote:
The two stories do not mash up well together, and not just because of certain canonical inconsistencies, but mainly because they have two completely different atmospheres.
It was apparent from the beginning the atmosphere was completely different. I tried to keep hope that as things developed this would change a bit, but it never did.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 16:14   Link #2823
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Man, I have to say that I'm absolutely loving the soundtrack at the moment. The first release kept me occupied even until now, but the second release is even better. Inside the Blue, Apocalypse or a New Beginning, The Awakening, Re-Paradox, Scub Coral Exterior, Responsibility, Ex-Hero...

This is gonna last for a while...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 19:31   Link #2824
angel8

Do you know if there will be a 3 series of eureka seven ao (with protagonist Fluer, Ao and Elena)???
angel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-16, 19:51   Link #2825
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Well there's no word on another sequel and honestly considering how this series ended (world's history has been rewritten again, for all we know Ao is actually in our world now) I doubt the three of them would ever meet (especially since Elena was around 20 years out of her own time in AO, I can't see a new season working with that idea).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 02:26   Link #2826
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel8 View Post
Do you know if there will be a 3 series of eureka seven ao (with protagonist Fluer, Ao and Elena)???
I'd say it's a possibility since they were already at least gauging what people wanted to see next with that facebook poll on the official AO facebook page.

As wandering-dreamer pointed out though it would seem that Elena would probably have to be older than Ao and Fleur this time since Eureka no longer gets stranded in time to make her extra time jump to rescue her (nor would she need to save Elena since Secrets no longer exist to cause the Scub Burst that originally threatened her life anyway). So Elena probably never would have time jumped anymore unless something new and odd happened to cause it to occur anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Man, I have to say that I'm absolutely loving the soundtrack at the moment. The first release kept me occupied even until now, but the second release is even better. Inside the Blue, Apocalypse or a New Beginning, The Awakening, Re-Paradox, Scub Coral Exterior, Responsibility, Ex-Hero...

This is gonna last for a while...
Yeah, I've been listening to both volumes of the soundtrack a ton.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-12-24 at 16:43.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 22:58   Link #2827
Raincollie
A certain collie of rain.

I think we might have misjudged this sequel, mainly because of episodes 4 to 11.
True, it might not actually be a direct sequel; not much of the previous show's lore has been here, there was much more fan-service, Monster of the Week and a ridiculous villain who happens to greatly resemble Howl (Both wore jackets on their shoulders, that never fell off during flights, Truth's last appearance had raven claws for hands, etc).
Spoiler for Howl x Truth comparison.:

But try to look at the scheme of episodes this way: 1-3 was the introduction, 4-11 helped us get more familiar with the characters and background of the story, 12-15 got us to realize that there really is a connection between the two shows, 16-21 was rationalization (though I hate how they just discarded TheEND so easily) and 22-24 was holy shit Renton <3 and long-hair Ao. And I will have to disagree with any of you who say the ending didn't wrap everything up neatly.
Please give Eureka Seven AO another try by re-watching it, and you might view it differently than before. You have to remember two things while doing this. One is that at first when AO just lunched, we were all extremely zealous about Kokyoshihen, and the other is that there is always a difference between watching a series one episode a week, or watching it in a couple days.
I hope this might convince some of you to give AO another chance, with an open mind. That said, there will always be those who will dislike this show, and I understand and fully respect these opinions as well, but regardless, happy new year.

Last edited by Raincollie; 2013-01-06 at 23:39.
Raincollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 10:45   Link #2828
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

I watched it in on go after it was finished and it was crap.
Crap will always taste like crap, no matter if you eat it weekly bit by bit or if you eat it all in on go.
The reasons why it si crap are all in this thread.
Dauerlutscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 01:51   Link #2829
Sunder the Gold

I agree. It's crap.

I really fucking hate "retconning history" bullshit. Time travel is fine when done in stable, self-fulfiling loops, but rewriting history is nuts. Especially when it doesn't actually change anything at all!

I am really annoyed that Hulu took down the original series before I got around to watching it, and replaced it with THIS waste of time.

On the topic of things that made no sense, that Naru chick. What the FUCK was ever going through her head? She was crazier than Truth.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 18:22   Link #2830
Sunder the Gold

Also, what's the point of following a story where ALL of the events you just saw got erased from existence?

This is really no different from "It was all just a dream."

It's a shitty way to end a story, because it invalidates EVERYTHING that just happened, and makes a mockery of the time you spent watching.
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 07:49   Link #2831
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
I agree. It's crap.

I really fucking hate "retconning history" bullshit. Time travel is fine when done in stable, self-fulfiling loops, but rewriting history is nuts. Especially when it doesn't actually change anything at all!

I am really annoyed that Hulu took down the original series before I got around to watching it, and replaced it with THIS waste of time.

On the topic of things that made no sense, that Naru chick. What the FUCK was ever going through her head? She was crazier than Truth.
Well guy, if you can find the anime legends dvd set of the original series, it's completely worth it. The Japanese VA commentaries and interviews bring so much insight to their portrayal of the characters. It was originally a blind purchase for me (I didn't know anything about E7 at the time) but it was so fucking worth it.
Old 2013-02-11, 09:37   Link #2832
EroKing

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-03-05, 12:00   Link #2833
bigdeath

Oh wow, I've been wondering when the last two episodes would air and it turns out they aired a few months ago.........................

How embarrassing.............Ah well, its about time I go watch the last two episodes.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 04:04   Link #2834
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I came to this show directly after watching the original. The original was pretty darn good but also fairly flawed and inconsistent. It definitely had a huge heart though which what really made me like it (and go through all its emo angst though). This sequel though is very different in many ways.

Eureka Seven Ao is very different though. If anything, Ao was really solid. The way its plot is written is very structured even with its twists and turns (and those twists were darn huge). The characters are, surprisingly (since many people had gripes about them), well-developed even if they do pale in comparison to the characters of the original.

E7Ao felt very different from its predecessor and I actually kinda like it. Sequels don't always have to connect the original especially with Eureka Seven which was a self-contained story in the beginning. While E7Ao felt very different, it also used its old characters, namely Eureka and Renton, but in very interesting ways.

If there's something I felt unsatisfied with this series though, or at least where the original shined more, it's the lack of couples falling in the sky. E7Ao never really reached the emotional highs of the original (though I don't think many stories can ever reach it too). But for what this series is, which is a solidly told mecha series that is somewhat a sequel, it's pretty darn great.
Old 2014-01-29, 12:15   Link #2835
ellifeedn
Thinker

I just learned today that there was a sequel series to Eureka Seven, which I liked a lot. How is this series? Is the dub decent?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 12:29   Link #2836
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I just learned today that there was a sequel series to Eureka Seven, which I liked a lot. How is this series? Is the dub decent?
Opinions are highly polarised but lean considerably more toward the negative. It feels more like a side story than an actual sequel really.

Don't know about the dub.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 19:44   Link #2837
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I consider AO the better series, though that's a minority opinion. I think it's smarter, subtler and more emotionally involving. And I like the fact that it isn't afraid to be very different than the original despite being a sequel to a beloved series, though I think that's a major reason so many fans turned on it.

The dub, IMO, is mediocre at best. Subbed is the way to go, slam-dunk.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 16:46   Link #2838
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I consider AO the better series, though that's a minority opinion. I think it's smarter, subtler and more emotionally involving. And I like the fact that it isn't afraid to be very different than the original despite being a sequel to a beloved series, though I think that's a major reason so many fans turned on it.

The dub, IMO, is mediocre at best. Subbed is the way to go, slam-dunk.
I can't back you 100% on it since I found that AO kind of lost the plot closer to the end. I still liked the show and I would probably put it at the same level or very close to the original. To me both shows ended up failing to fully deliver on what they promised early on. Good shows though (and the soundtracks are particularly nice).
Old 2014-02-01, 01:20   Link #2839
Frontier

I enjoyed 2/3 of AO, but I was overall disappointed with the ending and that pretty much colors my opinion of the show in general.

In contrast to when I watched the finale for Eureka 7, where afterwards I felt happy, satisfied, and pleased, the ending of AO left me wondering if there was a point to watching it to begin with. I kinda felt cheated after getting attached to the story of Ao and Pied Piper only to see their story end like that. Any developments that had happened with the cast, barring Ao, ultimately didn't amount to anything in the end.

I'm not against a sequel going for something different, but not when it does so in a way that is a disservice to the original, as I feel AO did. Aquarion Evol was similar in that respect but its finale saved it in my opinion. And at least Evol generally kept quite a few elements of its original series that I loved, while I can't really say the same for AO.

The animation and music were great, but that's typical for Bones .

Can't comment on the Dub, but I at least appreciate that they got back Stephanie Sheh and Johnny Yong Bosch as Eureka and Renton.
Old 2014-02-01, 04:30   Link #2840
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

To give a contrasting opinion... I and I know many others consider AO to be an extreme disappointment. It has a relatively nice 3 episode start, but after that it went way downhill. By the end I actually felt it managed to spit on the fans over some plot reveals that were not so good to say the least.

Opinion are of course different around here, but I consider the original to be an anime classic. This? Not even watchable.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, mecha, romance, science fiction, shounen