AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-05-05, 10:33   Link #261
outlaw55
Banned

Fuck you NoSanninWa, he started it....i see no equality....
outlaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 10:44   Link #262
monir
cho~ kakkoii

This episode remided me of history channel where a certain event in history would be "shown" by a painting. The camera would move over the painting while a narrator would describe the event with the aid of some sound effects. So there is no actual sense motion to unfold the event that took place, rather the speaker takes us through it. And that is exactly what episode five was consist of 90% of its twenty minutes slot. The animators just colored the frame, voiced the character, and then added some music. Basically it was "watching" the still frames of the manga instead of reading the manga. Here are a few examples.

Bathroom scene: We see the lady-enforcer's skirt was hugging her back with such intimacy that the distinct curvature of her back couldn't escape anyone. So I was surprised to see the sudden panty shot followed by the lifting of the skirt (we don't see the "lifting") which appeared to be glued to her back just a second ago, and now it was apparently claimed by the air resistance as the downward acceleration of the gravitational force was acting on her body. As was the case in most of the time throughout the episode, it was just another still frame which was lacking fluidity and sense of motion. We also see the characters' moving side to side, sometime in slow motion, but without any actual motion. It's just the camera moving over still images. We see Nagi approaching the mask-guy at the end of the episode from a first person's view, meaning there was no Nagi. The mask guy was just standing still while the camera moved forward with a lot of shaking.

Those were a few example of the tactics employed throughout this episode. Also the lack of transition to progress the sequence of events and horrible organization didn't help out to get into the episode either. Quoting the comic book guy from the Simpson, "Worst episode ever."
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 13:33   Link #263
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
Quoting the comic book guy from the Simpson, "Worst episode ever."
Are you saying it's the worst episode of Tenjou Tenge ever? That's pretty interesting because there have only been four other episodes aired, and they were all pretty good. Just by saying that it's the worst episode, you're only comparing it to episodes that have been decent. Anyway, I agree that it was the worst episode aired thus far, but it was still pretty good.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 15:08   Link #264
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
This episode was ok for me. Not better than the last 3 though. I liked Aya`s reaction about what happened between Soichirou and Natsume. I wont to see what happens with that. And that stick fight looks intresting.
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 20:51   Link #265
Holy Knight
Time Bomb

They are probably planning to have episode 6 with the fluid animation we saw from episode 2, but complete with 3 different fights going on. I'll give them some slack since the next episode is probably going to be non-stop fighting the whole way through except torwards the end.

I hope ep 6 doesn't dissapoint.
Holy Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-05, 23:14   Link #266
Shihbang
Elite Fireball

Send a message via AIM to Shihbang
Since they're going pretty much 1ep = 2 chapter of manga, it's a given that sometimes there won't be much action. I don't really mind that they skimp a bit on the animation when there's no fighting, but I do hope the maya/izumi fight picks up next episode.

Physics doesn't apply in anime...I found this out years ago when in one of the street fighter eps, chun-li had to hold up her dress when m bison ripped it, but then was able to do a flying kick without having it fall down. Amazing.

So Izumi's dress just has variable elasticity...hmm...

I wanna see flashback arc good!
Shihbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 00:07   Link #267
kujoe
from head to heel

Yeah, the past arc should be at least treated as a flashback, however I can see the series pulling off a "Wolf's Rain" if you know what I mean. Two or three episodes of what happened in the past seems acceptable, though that would entail mean edits.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 03:48   Link #268
EmperorIceBerg

Can't you people see the obvious answer for episode five's lackluster animation sequences? It simple means they will be spending more time on episode six's many fight scenes, which I'm sure will be well worth it.

Don't give me that look either.
EmperorIceBerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 03:53   Link #269
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIceBerg
Can't you people see the obvious answer for episode five's lackluster animation sequences? It simple means they will be spending more time on episode six's many fight scenes, which I'm sure will be well worth it.

Tenjho Tenge?

*Gives Emperor that look*

Gold_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 07:27   Link #270
silentpixel
Champloo Addict

Send a message via AIM to silentpixel Send a message via MSN to silentpixel
Quote:

lol I agree Its obvious. That episode reminds me about alot of girls i know.... it was such a tease. lol
silentpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 10:34   Link #271
SeeG
AniMe P.I.M.P

Send a message via AIM to SeeG
why isnt Bob introduced in the anime by name?
is it because he's black!!!!??? j/k...this is a pointless post
i love this show cant wait for more to arrive
SeeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 10:39   Link #272
Secca
nya`
*Artist

No more fluid fighting motion, because they already spend all their budgets on Maya's transformation, so deal with it. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 12:14   Link #273
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Are you saying it's the worst episode of Tenjou Tenge ever? That's pretty interesting because there have only been four other episodes aired, and they were all pretty good.
The concept of animation is based on motion, right? The lack of it was so unsettling about this episode and as you have pointed out, the series only have five episodes out so far. Usually short serieses tend to have better artwork and animation than the longer running serises. I suppose shows such as Gun Grave, Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari, Paranoia Agent have spoiled me beyond repair. As for me quoting the comic book guy - "worst episode ever", he watches every other genres beside "the Simpson". So I thought quoting the comic book guy would be apporpriate since it was the worst animated episode I ever watched.
Old 2004-05-06, 13:28   Link #274
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:

Uhm.. I use to think this way but after a terrible wait and anti climatic wait from other running anime, well, it's nice to hope for this, but I wouldn't be surprised if "the big fight scene" is just more of the same.
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 13:56   Link #275
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
The concept of animation is based on motion, right? The lack of it was so unsettling about this episode and as you have pointed out, the series only have five episodes out so far. Usually short serieses tend to have better artwork and animation than the longer running serises. I suppose shows such as Gun Grave, Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari, Paranoia Agent have spoiled me beyond repair. As for me quoting the comic book guy - "worst episode ever", he watches every other genres beside "the Simpson". So I thought quoting the comic book guy would be apporpriate since it was the worst animated episode I ever watched.
Looks like you haven't watched Condor Hero yet. It has probably the worst artwork and animation I've seen in an anime made in its era (2001), and yet it has an absolutely beautiful story. Another example is Magical Chocolate, an OVA with absolutely horrid artwork and animation that had a very nice story indeed. Animation is based on motion, but good story always trumps bad animation.

Now then, did Tenjo Tenge 5 have a good story? Not really, it was more of a lead-in episode to the real fight scenes in episode 6. However, my point is that lousy animation != lousy episode.
Old 2004-05-06, 14:12   Link #276
ACE2003

Spoiler:
ACE2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 14:35   Link #277
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Looks like you haven't watched Condor Hero yet. It has probably the worst artwork and animation I've seen in an anime made in its era (2001), and yet it has an absolutely beautiful story. Another example is Magical Chocolate, an OVA with absolutely horrid artwork and animation that had a very nice story indeed. Animation is based on motion, but good story always trumps bad animation.

Now then, did Tenjo Tenge 5 have a good story? Not really, it was more of a lead-in episode to the real fight scenes in episode 6. However, my point is that lousy animation != lousy episode.
Errr... I always thought Legend of the Condor Hero is one of the worst anime series ever... but then I read the novels before so maybe I'm biased =.="
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-06, 14:50   Link #278
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Errr... I always thought Legend of the Condor Hero is one of the worst anime series ever... but then I read the novels before so maybe I'm biased =.="
The pain! It buuuuuuuuuuurns!
Old 2004-05-06, 15:30   Link #279
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
I am sure you will change your mind if all the hype that is being built around do not meet the expectations for the upcoming fighting scenes. If the animators think that they got away with their cheap trick once, they might ask themselves "why not twice?". I was looking forward to watching Condor Hero. If that's the case, I'd rather read a good book and use my imagination than "watch" a book.
Old 2004-05-06, 23:15   Link #280
EmperorIceBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
Uhm.. I use to think this way but after a terrible wait and anti climatic wait from other running anime, well, it's nice to hope for this, but I wouldn't be surprised if "the big fight scene" is just more of the same.

Well, Im sad to say, your right. Early reviews and screen caps are up of episode 6 and it's a repeat of episode 5 all over. From what I gather there's one good (fluid character motion) scene, and the rest are basicly what we saw in episode 5 ("still character/camera moving" and "floating character with action lines" shots).

SPOLIERS

There's Less of this: http://toufqb.free.fr/momotato/pics/maya.gif
There's More of this: http://toufqb.free.fr/momotato/pics/action.gif
EmperorIceBerg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, ecchi, romance, seinen