AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2009-10-07, 01:21   Link #1
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Stuff you think nobody's ever heard of

So a lot of stuff on this forum are popular bands, top 100's, your favorites, and halls of fame, etc.

Please post some good stuff you think people have never heard of.

I shall start with:

she
http://www.shemusic.org
Electronica/Chiptune/Ambient

This guy published a handful of albums under a Creative Commons license, free to download, as well as two proprietary ones. Very nicely mixed and layered. He's probably the first CC-licensed artist that I listen to regularly.

=======================

Christopher Tin - Calling All Dawns
http://www.christophertin.com/callingalldawns.html
Orchestral/World Music

I only noticed this composer recently. He worked on the well-received main theme for Civilization 4 (which got the spotlight as the first track on this debut album), as well as a bunch of tracks for films, games, and software.

This album has 12 songs, each in a different language. It starts very uplifting, progresses to a beautiful sadness, and back to a strong end.

The link has 2-minute snippets of every track in the album. I listened to just that for a few days before I was moved to buy it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 02:40   Link #2
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

I haven't run across too many people who know about John Cage. The guy is an amazing composer, but is more well known for many of the non-traditional things he did.

You may have heard of a piece he composed called 4'33". It's a musical piece composed of three movements, in which not a single note is played. After one performance of the piece, there was actually a riot in the theater where it was performed. That's the kind of stuff he's known for; looking at music in a completely different way, that often evokes very remarkable reactions from his audiences and listeners.
Old 2009-10-10, 18:04   Link #3
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

One of my prime candidates would Bebel Gilberto from Brazil. This songstress barely gets any airplay leaving S.America . When Shakira Ricky have crossover-ed, strange to see such a talented artist getting short end of the stick . If it wasn't for Professional.Sandwich.Maker I would have never come across this artist .

A taste of her music, my favorite track Aganju :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J71FLwVNps8
Old 2009-10-12, 21:48   Link #4
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Art Vs Science. absolutly amazing group from Australia if anyone is keen for some good music check out their songs Flippers and Parles Vouz Frances.

they aslo put on a freat live show.
Old 2009-10-14, 00:17   Link #5
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I've always found Swell to be a terribly overlooked band. Their music sounds "fresh" everytime I listen to it.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-16, 18:13   Link #6
Maid

SHINGODJ IS HOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!! (He's on youtube)
Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-08, 20:18   Link #7
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Morandi

Let me begin by saying This is not the stuff nobody ever's heard off .

BUT I heard it the first time today yep I need to watch MTV Tr3́s moar . The artist in Question is Morandi simply loved most of tracks of his . Love the various influences in his music from afro to calypso to samba . One of his old videos and currently my personal Favorite Beijo . Its been on loop ever since afternoon .

VIDEO : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz2tIVGCig

Old 2010-01-08, 21:12   Link #8
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Elzhi from Detroit, Michigan. I guess the only rapper hip-hop fans care about that hails from Detroit is Eminem, I guess.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 16:05   Link #9
dasrune
smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Elzhi from Detroit, Michigan. I guess the only rapper hip-hop fans care about that hails from Detroit is Eminem, I guess.
big sean is an up and comer from detroit signed to kanye's label g.o.o.d. music and he's got a nice buzz going around right now.
dasrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 23:42   Link #10
Professor Waldorf X

Send a message via AIM to Professor Waldorf X Send a message via MSN to Professor Waldorf X
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasrune View Post
kanye's label g.o.o.d. music
This might be just my opinion talking here, but, oh, the irony!
Professor Waldorf X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 15:53   Link #11
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

I know the band Berry Roll isn't popular at all.. I wish more people heard of them..

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-14, 16:12   Link #12
Miyuki-ism
Corpse in Pieces

Send a message via MSN to Miyuki-ism
The Power Station's second CD Living In Fear, I sort of feel it's pretty rare but it's an awesome 90's rock album.
Old 2010-01-16, 04:38   Link #13
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
The Amity Affliction - Severed Ties

That's a great album, but it's a band probably hidden in obscurity in America, since they're from Australia...And given that post-hardcore isn't exactly mainstream, that narrows the fanbase even more...

The album features guest vocals from other Australian acts, which I would like to check out...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-19, 18:38   Link #14
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae

I like the music here in Yesterday, but I'm not sure where it's from. The credits gave out two music pieces used in the movie.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 15:50   Link #15
Juusu
Unisexual liquid mass

Ikd-Sj

Nero's Day At Disneyland

Xanopticon

Burial
Juusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 16:42   Link #16
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Probably most of the dark ambient I listen to; I know there's fans of it out there, but the reaction I usually get when sending/letting people listen to some of it is like, "Huh... what's this... wait, why's the intro so long? Where are the vocals?"

I tend to hit up last.fm and listen to the Dark Ambient Radio station to get exposed to new artists. Just got turned on to Dahlia's Tear a few days ago and picked up their album Under Seven Skies. Great stuff, very different than my other dark ambient favorites, but great nonetheless.
Old 2010-01-24, 16:43   Link #17
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

While I was searching for lafftastic vids of McLovin I came across a BGM used for the MV . It was by a German band called The Disco Boys and that track was really foot tapping . They reminded me a lot of Daft Punk in there electronica phase . So I checked out the Band on YouTube and Wiki . They have a couple of interesting tracks predominantly :

The Disco Boys - I Love You So

The Disco Boys - Born To Be Alive

The Disco Boys - Hey St. Peter

The Disco Boys - Here On My Own

The Disco Boys - For You

My favorites have to be I love You So and Born to be Alive but unfortunately good videos don't exists for them . This maybe popular elsewhere but its pretty new to me .
Old 2010-01-25, 01:55   Link #18
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Shaking Tree (one of my favorite bands) is a band I've found to be overlooked..
http://www.shakingtree.com/

Another band is Switch 3.
http://www.myspace.com/switch3
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 23:28   Link #19
24gh12
24ghx12 XIII

Glenn Yarbrough an oldies singer
24gh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 04:31   Link #20
ufocatcher
Banned

I think people have heard this once or twice bit don't remember it. I think I'm the only one who loves this song. XD

Orange Lounge - Love is Orange
ufocatcher is offline   Reply With Quote