Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-08, 01:20   Link #321
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Wish I could "dig it up". It's kind of like "reflection" and "circumspection" about things on a deep level - the sort of thing one does in quiet and by oneself, associated with the season of winter and kinda what Sena has been doing with regards to Uryu last episode.

Almost like a deep musing of sorts? Maybe? But such musing or reflection is bound up with longing - again characteristic of the quiet and still thinking about things in the middle of a frozen winter evening....
Hmm... yeah, good brainstorming. It's hard to find the right word! Another word that came to mind is the Japanese word 感動 (kandou) which is "to be deeply emotionally moved". I tie this word in because the important thing isn't just the introspection, but it's the change that results. Like "I reflect on this person's behaviour and actions and it makes me see things differently." This is sort of like the conversation had at the end of episode 4 where she remarked that she had thought herself trapped in her weakness, but Shingo and the rest had seen right past her weakness and to her true self, and this changed everything -- she was happy, but it was unfair. And it's also the same thing that happened at the end of Episode 5 with both Airi and Ange in different ways. Ange in particular discovered that what matters about being a maid isn't having work to do, but it's considering the feelings of the person you're trying to serve and putting them first. And again, in this reflection she is deeply touched, and is changed. It's like "the power to become a better person"; the hope that you can actually change yourself. So that's why I'm sort of back at the word "longing", or perhaps "aspirations" is a better term. And that's really a beautiful message because not only is it nostalgic, but it's also hopeful and optimistic. That's why, at the end of the day, they call this a "healing anime".
Old 2011-11-08, 03:04   Link #322
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just recently got caught up with this series, and I have to say, it's really nice.

I don't want to draw direct comparisons here as that would not be fair for an ongoing series with only five episodes under its belt, but let's just say that I haven't felt this good about a drama/romance-driven VN adaptation since the Key/KyoAni trio.

Mashiro-iro Symphony has real class, style, and finesse. Everything flows very smoothly, but also believably.

The five main things I like a lot about this anime:

1) Lovely character designs.

2) A very likable main cast, where nobody bothers me.

3) Sena's character development has been wonderful to behold. Lots of charm and nuance to it. None of it feels forced to me.

4) The sibling relationship between Shingo and Sakuno is a considerably well-executed one. I very much like the sibling dynamic there thus far.

5) Most importantly, Shingo is a very solid male lead, overall.

After Episode 2, I was a bit worried he'd be forced into a lot of slapstick comedy, taking a bit away from his character. Thankfully, that hasn't been the case.

Instead, what we've seen with Shingo is actually a bit atypical for male leads in romance/drama anime, I think.

Shingo is a natural diplomat. His desire for a good atmosphere, his perceptiveness, his ability to carefully and shrewdly reach through tense barriers, his clever negotiating abilities, his penchant for achieving win-win outcomes... these are all the signs of a great diplomat.

By him having a character/personality like that, it does add a greater sense of validity to how he's slowly winning over several different girls. In other words, it's taking real effort and skill on his part, and since Shingo's motivation appears to be more about a simple desire for a pleasant school atmosphere than it is about wooing girls per se, it also makes it much easier to accept that he's not taking advantage of the situation at a romance level yet.

This anime is an extremely pleasant watch so far. I'm looking forward to Episode 6, to be sure.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-11-08 at 03:19.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 05:57   Link #323
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
And it's also the same thing that happened at the end of Episode 5 with both Airi and Ange in different ways. Ange in particular discovered that what matters about being a maid isn't having work to do, but it's considering the feelings of the person you're trying to serve and putting them first. And again, in this reflection she is deeply touched, and is changed.
This.

I've actually been meaning to ask why Ange would suddenly have a change of heart after she became depressed when Shingo just "told her off" due to the water bucket spilling incident. Shingo was actually saying the above idea... just in a sort of roundabout way. Thanks, relentless.

That being said, I look forward to every week's episode of Mashifoni for the spirit mending effects, lol. Having my fill of action from C3 and Persona 4 is fine and all, but sometimes I just need to kick back and simply feel good.
In a nice and decent way, that is.

... I'm still surprised that Airi was still holding Ange's broom when she caught up with her by the school gates by the end of the episode, though...
MeganeShounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 16:21   Link #324
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Spoiler for Episode 6 raw:
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 17:26   Link #325
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Spoiler for episode 6:
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 17:53   Link #326
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Iroiro 06 - Not Really About Baths:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 18:36   Link #327
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Spoiler for Episode 6:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-11-08 at 19:12.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-08, 23:16   Link #328
Vena
Carpe Diem

I really like the rings of color around the characters' eyes.

Spoiler for no subs yet:
Vena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 02:37   Link #329
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Spoiler for response to Vena about order:
Old 2011-11-09, 06:18   Link #330
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Episode 6:

Spoiler for Episode 6:
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 07:55   Link #331
Marina2

Wow, it's been a while to see VN Adaptation's potential winner girl (Airi) accepted by most viewers. (At least, no one hate her)

Right now I'm trying to find a word to describe Sana's personality. Her ture color is similar to Ibuki (Hoshizora) ,but she's not really a tsundere....hmm...........
Old 2011-11-09, 12:47   Link #332
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Wow, it's been a while to see VN Adaptation's potential winner girl (Airi) accepted by most viewers. (At least, no one hate her)

Right now I'm trying to find a word to describe Sana's personality. Her ture color is similar to Ibuki (Hoshizora) ,but she's not really a tsundere....hmm...........
At least most warmed up to Airi after it was revealed that her cold behavior was simply a front to protect her vulnerable side I think that afterwards, she can only grow better (and better) depending on the reader's "bias".

As for Sana: Man-hater + Miu-worshipper. If not for Shingo's "fault" in getting closer to Miu she might have kept up her friendly front as long as needed. Now, she just doesn't need to hold back it seems.
Ibuki was anti-main lead due to the accident with Ui at the beginning, but warmed up as time went on + after a specific moment. I could understand Ibuki's dislike of Daigo, though (he's one of the worst sidekicks I've encountered).
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 14:49   Link #333
relentlessflame

*Administrator

By the way, on the merchandise front, fans of the show might consider checking out this Pannya Plushie, being re-released in March 2012 but up for reservation now. This thing has had multiple "printings" and sold out every time because it's darn cute (I have one myself).

(There's also a "King Pannya" plush that was made at once point (and it was massive, and even mentioned in the PSP game as an in-joke), but it's not very practical for most of us... )
Old 2011-11-09, 15:01   Link #334
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I am lucky enough this year to get the new print of Pannya plushie (it's shipped out today by Amiami), last year in november i also ordered it but i forgot to pay for the order within 7 days and it was sold to someone else.

That king Pannya was horribly expensive when i saw it on the japanese yahoo auctions a few weeks ago.
Edit: it's still being sold for 36000 or 43800 円
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g108313807

late edit: uploaded videos of 2 of seiyuu talking about the anime

these videos were originally found on nicovideo, but they were removed 2 weeks after they were uploaded for unknown reasons. Fortunately i saved them before the deletion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20kB_MTV0gs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpTY1RNHXOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLM7eVw-yGs

Last edited by hyl; 2011-11-09 at 17:18. Reason: cast talk videos
Old 2011-11-09, 17:20   Link #335
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I liked ep6, but the best part...
Spoiler for ep6:
And I have to mention how much I like marble's ED. Simple, lyrical, romantic. Just about perfect as an ED, for me.

This show may not be a masterpiece, but as an ero-game adaptation, it really does a nice job.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-09, 18:00   Link #336
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Spoiler for ep6:
Spoiler for Episode 6 (with small game comparison):
Quote:
This show may not be a masterpiece, but as an ero-game adaptation, it really does a nice job.
I have to admit that I sort of understand what you mean by this, but at the same time I think it's a bit obscure. Independent of its source material, I guess the main question is whether it succeeds in its own right. It's not like eroge adaptations are some different class of anime (though some may perceive it that way). What prevents it from being considered a "masterpiece" within, for example, the romance genre, or perhaps "iyashikei"? What would it take? Where is it lacking?
Old 2011-11-09, 18:05   Link #337
hyl
reading #hikaributts

A minor problem that i have with the anime is that most of the humour from the game has been removed. But that was expected due to time constraints.
Old 2011-11-09, 20:57   Link #338
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
...I have to admit that I sort of understand what you mean by this, but at the same time I think it's a bit obscure. Independent of its source material, I guess the main question is whether it succeeds in its own right. It's not like eroge adaptations are some different class of anime (though some may perceive it that way). What prevents it from being considered a "masterpiece" within, for example, the romance genre, or perhaps "iyashikei"? What would it take? Where is it lacking?
Good points. Maybe I should have said "succeed as a harem anime" rather than as an "eroge adaptation." I really have no idea if it's a good adaptation of the original or not, I'm just enjoying it on its own terms. I can't really say in any specific or anime-critic way why it's good or bad, just that I am enjoying it and think it is doing its thing pretty well. I can't say what it would take to consider it a masterpiece, just that it doesn't feel like one to me. Mind you, there aren't any other shows this season that I rate in that category, either. Or even this year (maybe Chihayafuru will end up there). Maybe I'm just embarrassed to be enjoying this apparently minor show so much.

There aren't many recent shows I consider masterpieces. Three were on at the same time in 2006: Simoun, NANA, and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu. One was on in summer 2010: House of Five Leaves. Another in summer 2009: Bakemonogatari.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-11-09, 21:56   Link #339
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I can't really say in any specific or anime-critic way why it's good or bad, just that I am enjoying it and think it is doing its thing pretty well. I can't say what it would take to consider it a masterpiece, just that it doesn't feel like one to me. Mind you, there aren't any other shows this season that I rate in that category, either. Or even this year (maybe Chihayafuru will end up there). Maybe I'm just embarrassed to be enjoying this apparently minor show so much.
Well, to be clear, I'm not necessarily saying that I think it's a "masterpiece" either (though I'm certainly enjoying it). I guess I'm just sort of curious about a more pronounced concept of what this show is doing well, and in what areas it's failing to "click" with the audience as well as perhaps it could. I personally don't really believe in the concept of "guilty pleasures", so the fact that this is a "minor" show doesn't bother me. However, I do think that a lot of people dismissed the show outright based on the source material and certain (false) preconceptions about what was going on in the first episode.

The one area where I think this show is doing very well is in establishing the emotional connection to Airi. Each episode slowly peels back the layers one by one and we start to understand who this girl is, what her struggles are, how she thinks, and what she aspires to become. By the same token, I think they're starting to do a better and better job at delivering some of the more subtle shades of Shingo's character -- he's a nice guy that puts others first, but even this has some consequences and flaws. So these two characters in particular feel like they're very fleshed-out and well-considered.

An area where I think the show is a bit less convincing... well, some of the plot points I admittedly find a bit silly/childish, though it's cute in its own way. In particular, a lot of the plot with Ange is a bit silly and sort of feels a bit at odds with the more serious emotional development in some other parts of the story (but then again, it also contributes some levity to the plot and prevents it from taking itself too seriously or going too "emo"). And due to time constraints, some of the other characters also feel significantly less-developed than the two leads, so their actions seem to lack a bit of subtlety (people like Sana and Mio are most in need of character development at this point, though I think that will happen to some degree). I feel like this is a show where if you were to just write out everything that happens as plot points, it would sound really silly/stupid (which gives a lot of ammunition for certain bloggers to mock, for example) but the emotional development and emotional engagement happens almost using the plot as a tool to get there. So it's as if what actually happens in physical terms is less important than the development on an emotional level. That will probably limit the show's mainstream appeal (because it quite far apart from shounen manga, and almost leans a bit more towards shoujo in some respects).

Anyway, all I can say is that, for me, this is the show I'm most engaged with this season. Part of that is knowing the source, but I've certainly had a number of times in the past where an anime just failed to engage me in nearly the same way the source did. Here I feel like the anime has captured what I personally thought were some of the best points of the game; despite the time-constraints, they're really focusing on the emotional character development of the leads, and that's a common trait of almost all the anime I've loved over the years.
Old 2011-11-09, 22:20   Link #340
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It's the emotional understanding and development of the two main characters that appeals to me, too. The humour, not so much, but it doesn't feel too out of place to me, more like "comic relief" to lighten things up between emotional hits, as you say. Since I am a fan of shoujo generally, perhaps it's that aspect that is attracting me -- the portrayal of comparatively subtle emotional things, in particular. I like the idea of a shoujo take on an eroge, lol.

Tags
eroge, romance, seinen