AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-19, 16:02   Link #241
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

So on top of being about jazz and being well-animated and such, this anime is really funny. Awesome. Kaoru's narration is a little grating due to the fact that I can see what he's seeing and he doesn't need to describe it, but otherwise, I really liked this episode.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 16:33   Link #242
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I thought this episode was simply perfect all the way through, but when that band was playing...man that was awesome. I just realised this but it kinda reminded me of Whisper of the Heart except with jazz.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 16:44   Link #243
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was just as good as the first episode, which is saying a lot in this anime's case.

The live session was truly amazing. You can easily tell they put a lot of effort into animating it. Aside from that, this was more of a romance oriented episode. It looks like we're going to have something a bit more complicated (or more simple depending on how they play it) than a regular love triangle on our hands.

We learned a few interesting things about Sentarou as well. I didn't peg him as the religious type. I'm curious to learn more about that.
Old 2012-04-19, 17:06   Link #244
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Nnnnoooo! Sentaro, don't fall to the dark side! Especially when you and Riko looked so sweet together in that church. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 17:32   Link #245
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ri-chan is clearly ticketed for Kaoru, so best not get too invested in that pairing.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 17:54   Link #246
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Great live session. Lol Kaoru's time in the library turned into a beach adventure. Want to hear more about Sentaro's past. Never seen anyone swim like how Kaoru was. Lol even the boat was going in circles. Nice job of Sentaro to save the pretty lady.
Old 2012-04-19, 19:04   Link #247
Eragon
Still Alive

Breathtaking live session. Especially the trumpet. The animation was top-notch as last episode. The narration by Kaoru got to me little but I can handle that much. A love square will be quite interesting - if it does turn out to be that.
Old 2012-04-19, 19:17   Link #248
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Another masterful, classy, almost regal episode - balanced between gravity and whimsy as few can do like Watanabe (an auspicious name for directors this season).

Hard to find anything wrong here, really. We have a fascinating study on freedom that cuts across the whole story, from the social to the personal, and a passionate love letter to jazz from Watanabe. The jam session was the highlight of the ep for me, but it was pretty much all great. I'll be very interested in seeing about how Ritsuko and Sentarou's Christianity ties into the plot structure.
Old 2012-04-19, 20:02   Link #249
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

The only bad thing I can see about this show as of now is that, like Natsume, there isn't really much to talk about. While not exactly flawless, this show so far doesn't have anything worth complaining over (the biggest insult I can find is that it's overrated or that it's only 12 episodes) and without opposite views, you don't get much discussion. Maybe that'll change down the road though.

Old 2012-04-19, 20:18   Link #250
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Never seen anyone swim like how Kaoru was. Lol even the boat was going in circles. Nice job of Sentaro to save the pretty lady.
You've never seen the side stroke before? That's surprises me to be honest.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 20:37   Link #251
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
The only bad thing I can see about this show as of now is that, like Natsume, there isn't really much to talk about. While not exactly flawless, this show so far doesn't have anything worth complaining over (the biggest insult I can find is that it's overrated or that it's only 12 episodes) and without opposite views, you don't get much discussion. Maybe that'll change down the road though.
I can't remotely agree with overrated. If anything, the amazing thing is that it managed to live up to expectations.
Old 2012-04-19, 21:03   Link #252
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Btw, there's a sample up now for this week's session performance on the OST's site: http://www.apollon-jazz.com/

The track is Bag's Groove. It looks like they'll probably be updating with sample tracks once a week, as episodes are broadcast.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 21:05   Link #253
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Ri-chan is clearly ticketed for Kaoru, so best not get too invested in that pairing.
I dunno, Kaoru seems very suspicious of Ri --> Sen. Now we have Sen --> new girl, which as shipper in general, makes me ecstatic about the drama that could come from it.

Only thing that can be better is if new girl falls in love big brother, so kinda like Ano Natsu, we have this huge five figured love polygon. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 21:22   Link #254
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I can't remotely agree with overrated. If anything, the amazing thing is that it managed to live up to expectations.
I should point out that I personally don't think this anime is overrated and agree that it was amazing that this anime lived up to the hype. While I have liked some very hyped anime (Angel Beats, Code Geass), they never quite fulfilled the hype behind them.

Old 2012-04-19, 21:26   Link #255
Theowne
耳をすませば

Some thoughts
-Liked the musical impromptu very much. Really communicated that satisfying feeling of just getting together and getting some music going.
-Still can't say for sure whether this is going to tip the "melodrama meter", but I'm definitely still on board for now. I found the Christianity moments interesting.
-The scene at the end reminded me a little of Honey and Clover, when Mayama observed Takemoto meeting Hagu for the first time. With that being said, it felt a little artificial, as did the bullying scenes.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 21:37   Link #256
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
You've never seen the side stroke before? That's surprises me to be honest.
I do the side stroke; I don't go around in circles though!

So is Sentarou going to fight his way through every episode? This episode has both a bullying scene and a damsel in distress. Perhaps the damsel will soothe his violent temperament.

Spoiler for Catholics:
I was beginning to get Sophie's Choice vibes from this show during the boat scene. It had that same awkward threesome feeling with Kaoru in the role of Stingo and Sentaro and Ritsuko as Nathan and Sophie. I hope the beauty from the beach adds another vertex to the love poiygon.

Spoiler for The girl on the beach:
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 21:45   Link #257
Kirarakim

I have to admit tough guy Sen and the bullies remind me the most of early 60's films Ive seen. It's what makes the setting the most for me for some reason.

Loved the jam session & how Sen clearly sees Kaoru as a friend. I do wish Kaoru would show more appreciation for Sen though.

Anyways I am glad there is another girl for Sen so a love triangle hopefully won't get in the way of friendship (the religious angle is interesting though much more interesting than a triangle). Plus it's nice to get another female cast member besides Ri-chan.

Edit: For some reason Sen is reminding me of James Dean a bit (although he is from the 50's not 60's)
Old 2012-04-19, 22:02   Link #258
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
I think I fell in love with this episode, as well as the series so far. Pretty funny too throughout it.The jazz session was the best pert of it if you ask me.

I was rewatching the first episode with a few friends not so long ago, we all really liked it. That'd have to be my third time rewatching it actually lol
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 22:19   Link #259
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Sen clearly sees Kaoru as a friend. I do wish Kaoru would show more appreciation for Sen though.
I worried about Kaoru's fingers as well. I thought a lot transpired emotionally in that scene, especially on Kaoru's part. I thought Kaoru appreciated Sentaro a lot more after that exchange. It was like the bit with his glasses in episode one, a small detail conveyed a lot of meaning. Kaoru has probably had at most just one or two friends over his whole life, and Sentaro is not the kind of boy that auntie would be pleased to see dropping by for a visit. Whatever expectations Kaoru has about the kinds of friends he might make in life, I'm guessing Sentaro doesn't fit that image.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 23:29   Link #260
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

I liked that Kaoru didn't seem to be too hung up on what happened with the bullies. I kind of expected him to have a grudge against Sentaro for a bit for saving him as well as the humiliation in front of Ritsuko, but fortunately that didn't happen. I'm also glad that thus far a love triangle doesn't seem to be in the cards with Ritusko, although...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I did wonder about Kaoru's comments in the narration at the end of the beach scene. From his words and the expression on his face, I wasn't entirely sure whether his comments about love at first sight applied to Sentaro or to himself, or to both of them.
I also wondered if Kaoru was referring to himself, Sentaro, or both in that scene. I'm not in favor of a triangle with Ritsuko, but something a little more complicated would be okay. I also wonder if Ritsuko might have feelings for Jun, although nothing was really shown to indicate that yet.

One other thing about the setting and something I normally pay little attention to: I love everyone's clothes! So much neater than our modern sloppy dress. Ritsuko's swimsuit was adorable, although I am surprised that Kaoru was so willing to strip down to his undies (tighty whities no less!) to swim.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, shoujo, slice of life