-EPISODE 114-
Spoiler for part 1:

--------
Spoiler for part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 14:02   Link #4102
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Props to Knuckle's voice actor for bringing this awesome character to life.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 15:16   Link #4103
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I have another interpretation, but it's manga-spoilerish (not really a spoiler but it's influenced by what I know will happen):

Spoiler for Manga:
Thank you. You've written a great summary of what I believe is going on in Killua's mind.

Spoiler:
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-29, 15:39   Link #4104
Kazu-kun

Spoiler for theory:

Just a wild guess.
Old 2014-01-30, 02:30   Link #4105
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
And it's manga material. Toriyama had in mind to end it after Frieza, true, but then he was convinced to keep it going for a while. He did everything until the Majin Bu saga and the end of Dragonball Z. Then he decided he had enough and Toei was left on its own devices... and conceived the monstrosity that is Dragonball GT.
I was indeed asking if Cell Saga was Toriyama or Anime Original. The nearly identical setting between the two stories is hard to ignore. Thanks for the reassurance that my question wasn't all that vague! This only confirms that Toriyama inspired everyone that had any kind of influence in the Shounen genre, Togashi included. His approach to Hunter x Hunter is pretty much identical to Dragon Ball: a serene beginning and then a slow evolution of the main characters to the powerhouse they currently are. Where Togashi sets a part from his peers such as Kubo Tite, Oda Eiichirou, or Kishimoto Masashi (and even Toriyama himself to a degree) is his ability to transcend beyond the two dimensional approach to the characters: heroes and villains. His characters don't limit themselves to just "good" or "bad". It's more than that. For example, trying to define Gon as a good guy or a bad guy is pretty much impossible and completely missing his character or what he is about. He is much more complicated than just trying to define him as a hero or a villain. Conventional characters that can be defined as simply good or bad are absent in Hunter x Hunter. Pretty much why I fell in love with this story when I first experienced it in the year 1999 version.

Toriyama revolutionized the shounen genre. Togashi went further at developing characters in a way that is hardly seen in anime format which is to make them human.

Btw, I'm so much hoping Komugi doesn't die like this. I'm hoping Gon doesn't intervene or confront Pitou until she has healed her. When Komugi first came to play and then continued playing the King, I just waited for the sudden movement of the tail and her head exploding in red mist. The anticipation of her dying any second at his hand was agonizing every time she played him, but she lived. And did more than that... so it would be such a shame for her to die like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
Not sure if serious or not... You're asking if Dragon Ball, a series spanned from early 80s to mid 90s came before a series from the 2000? Dude, sometimes you need to do your own research!

Thanks for the freebie advise. I have an inkling that you didn't really understand the question, so here is a freebie from me too: you could improve your reading comprehension.

Last edited by monir; 2014-01-30 at 04:54. Reason: Ooops.. double ooooopsss.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 04:41   Link #4106
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

In his defense, while he didn't have to be so abrasive, you also asked which came first. And even if it'd been an anime original, Cell saga was broadcasted in 92, a decade before the ant arc started.

And Togashi's a man.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 04:43   Link #4107
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I was indeed asking if Cell Saga was Toriyama or Anime Original. The nearly identical setting between the two stories is hard to ignore. Thanks for the reassurance that my question wasn't all that vague! This only confirms that Toriyama inspired everyone that had any kind of influence in the Shounen genre, Togashi included. Her approach to Hunter x Hunter is pretty much identical to Dragon Ball: a serene beginning and then a slow evolution of the main characters to the powerhouse they currently are. Where Togashi sets a part from her peers such as Kubo Tite, Oda Eiichirou, or Kishimoto Masashi (and even Toriyama himself to a degree) is her ability to transcend beyond the two dimensional approach to the characters: heroes and villains. Her characters don't limit themselves to just "good" or "bad". It's more than that. For example, trying to define Gon as a good guy or a bad guy is pretty much impossible and completely missing his character or what he is about. He is much more complicated than just trying to define him as a hero or a villain. Conventional characters that can be defined as simply good or bad are absent in Hunter x Hunter. Pretty much why I fell in love with this story when I first experienced it in the year 1999 version.

Toriyama revolutionized the shounen genre. Togashi went further at developing characters in a way that is hardly seen in anime format which is to make them human.

Btw, I'm so much hoping Komugi doesn't die like this. I'm hoping Gon doesn't intervene or confront Pitou until she has healed her. When Komugi first came to play and then continued playing the King, I just waited for the sudden movement of the tail and her head exploding in red mist. The anticipation of her dying any second at his hand was agonizing every time she played him, but she lived. And did more than that... so it would be such a shame for her to die like this.
Toriyama was indeed that influential, and after all Togashi begins HXH with a shout-out to Dragonball - both Goku and Gon capture a huge fish in the very first chapter.

Only a detail: I don't know why you are convinced otherwise, but Togashi is a man. He's even married to the (female) mangaka who created Sailor Moon.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 03:46   Link #4108
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

His depiction of his and her "author avatars" are also pretty darn cute.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 15:23   Link #4109
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

A bit late to the party but let me just say this was another strong episode. My favourite scene was definitely when Killua revealed his concerns about Gon. As others have pointed out, Killua is becoming uneasy with Gon's dark emotions. Personally, I think it's because this creepy dark side of Gon is just like nothing he's ever seen before and he just doesn't know how to respond to it. And Killua is too scared to confront him on this because he doesn't want to jeopardize his friendship with Gon and because his fear of taking risks is still there when it comes to relationships, even if it's no longer there when it comes to fighting. It's an interesting twist, I thin:. Usually in shonen action shows, you usually see the spunky happy main character remain pure hearted, whilst his quieter best friend ends up relying on darker emotions. Here it's completely the opposite, and I'm really excited to see where they plan to take this.

Unfortunately we forced to wait, whilst the story focuses on the side characters. Not to rag on Shoot and Youpi but even though their fight has been compelling, but they just can't compete with the interest I have towards Gon's possible encounter with Pitou and the clash of titans with Meruem and Netero, for obvious reasons (not that he hasn't done a good job trying). Both Gon and Meruem have had far focus, which I now kinda wish Shoot had more of before this battle began. They kinda missed an opportunity with Shoot's character and could have established his cowardice a bit more, because then this subversion of his personality would have had greater impact. Unfortunately it mostly feels informed instead.

I loved the perspective Knuckle brought to the fight, though. Watching your friend slowly die in front of you and all you can do is just stand there and watch? That's definitely a fight in and of itself. I particularly felt it when he was horrified that only ten seconds have passed. That's a feeling we've all experienced. It's almost as bad as waiting for a laggy computer screen to load (almost).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-04, 16:00   Link #4110
ookamigirl

Spoiler for plot:

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-04, 17:32   Link #4111
akumaten

From the look of Gon's face
Now it's Pitou's turn to face unrelenting malice.
akumaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-04, 17:39   Link #4112
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Looks like Welfin is the second wild card of this arc (the first being Komugi). He might be able to tip the scales in the heroes' favor. They could certainly use some help.
Old 2014-02-04, 17:41   Link #4113
Eudaimonia

It's fascinating to see how this show delves into the thought processes of each single character no matter if they are protagonists or simply side characters and it really pays off since they show how one single thought can change their actions and as a result can change the entire course of the show. Looks like Pouf found a soulmate in Welfin in terms of overanylizing things
Old 2014-02-04, 18:38   Link #4114
MCAL

First 8/10 I have given this show in like forever. That ending though.

That being said, I love how they don't half-ass things. Every single move a character makes is thought so thoroughly, you'd be shocked this was a shounen jump show.
MCAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-04, 20:54   Link #4115
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
First 8/10 I have given this show in like forever. That ending though.

That being said, I love how they don't half-ass things. Every single move a character makes is thought so thoroughly, you'd be shocked this was a shounen jump show.
There's a phone call for you, MCAL - it's the RK Kyoto Arc...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 00:17   Link #4116
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
There's a phone call for you, MCAL - it's the RK Kyoto Arc...
Actually watching RK right now and its getting into the Kyoto episodes and yes, lots of inner monologuing

Good episode, as usual. Hilarious that Welfin's paranoia might turn him to the other side because he thinks everyone is turning on the king
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 00:35   Link #4117
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Facing off against the terrifying Pitou is bad enough, but it's now obvious that Togashi has also set this up as a battle against himself for Gon (likewise, a frightening opponent). The purity of his own feelings, his seeming incorruptibility, may be working against him here, and the rage over the injustice of what the King is planning and what Pitou has done to Kaitou transforming into hatred. For most of the series we've seen Killua battle against himself as Gon's unimpeachable solidity acted like True North on a compass, guiding his friend whenever he was lost. Now, it seems, we may at long last be seeing the time come for that debt to be repaid - for Killua to provide the anchor to keep his friend and brother from drifting off course, the hand to grasp and pull him back from the darkness.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-05, 11:45   Link #4118
kitten320

Gon has to snap out cause if he kills Pitou now then Komugi will die. Gon will be responsible for innocent lives death what will pretty much make his whole purpose of revenge meaningless since he will slip to a dark side.
Old 2014-02-05, 12:01   Link #4119
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Ya but that's kinda the scary thing about Gon. He doesn't do whats right for the world or anything grand like that. He usually does what is right to him. He's actually pretty selfish sometimes even if he is still usually kind and righteous while doing so.
Old 2014-02-05, 16:05   Link #4120
Noble101

I really like this dark side of Gon. It is a change from the usual always happy and innocent MC from other shounen series. Sometimes you just have to let their true feelings out and I mean who would've thought Gon would turn out like this from the beginning of the show.
Noble101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen