AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-12, 07:25   Link #4641
killer3000ad

Marine reservist attacks Orthodox priest, mistaking him for a terrorist

Must have been the beard and robes.
Old 2009-11-12, 09:22   Link #4642
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
No, must have been dumb big stereotypical marine guy.
Old 2009-11-12, 11:06   Link #4643
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
No, must have been dumb big stereotypical marine guy.
Hehe, true. At least dumb enough to watch too much TV (and take it seriously).

Well, guess when wars are waged, and propaganda campaigns are conducted, cases like this or the one in Germany (Murder of Marwa El-Sherbini) are inevitable.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?
Old 2009-11-12, 15:03   Link #4644
Shadow Kira01

FOCUS: Anti-base Okinawans expect Hatoyama to end carrot and stick policy

Quote:
''We now face an epoch-making chance to transform Japan's subservient relationship with the United States into more equal one,'' Tamaki said. ''Many Okinawans object to the current plan to relocate (the Futemma base) within the prefecture and they are frustrated because their hopes for change raised in the election could be betrayed.''
Quote:
Tamaki, a son of a member of the U.S. military, said there is no need for Hatoyama to rush to a conclusion on where to move the Futemma facility and urged him to be ''a tough negotiator.''
Quote:
''What we want is to turn everything back to zero and to restart negotiations from scratch. Political compromises can spawn great ideas,'' he said. As alternative relocation sites, the parliamentarian suggested utilizing regional airports in sparsely populated areas of the country, where demand for air services is low.
Quote:
The activist said the DPJ can give serious thought to the idea because Secretary General Ichiro Ozawa has expressed the view that the role of the U.S. military in Japan should be trimmed down, saying the U.S. Navy's 7th Fleet based in Yokosuka would be ''enough for the U.S. presence in the Far East.''
Quote:
Takuma Higashionna, 48, a Nago city assembly member who has sued the U.S. Defense Department over the Futemma relocation plan as it could harm dugong, an endangered marine mammal in the area, said pushing through the current plan would be detrimental to the interests of both Japan and the United States.

''U.S. President Barack Obama was named the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize and Japan is set to host a major U.N. conference on preserving biodiversity next year. Destroying the environment for the Futemma relocation would hamper the two countries' ambitions to be front-runners in conservation and would draw criticism from the international community,'' he said.
Quote:
Higashionna said he believes Obama can ''feel other people's pain'' and that he expects the president to give up on the existing Futemma transfer plan.
Quote:
Ashitomi and the assembly member also pointed out that the plan involving the reclamation of some offshore areas was enlarged to incorporate the demands of Japanese vested interests -- namely construction businesses and politicians representing the industry -- and can be regarded as a ''wasteful public works project.''
Quote:
Defense analyst Motoaki Kamiura, 60, said that from a military viewpoint the United States does not need new runways at Camp Schwab as he believes the emergency response capabilities of U.S. forces have been enhanced over the years to reduce the need to forward deploy tens of thousands of servicemen.
Quote:
Kamiura said, however, he thinks the threat of North Korea will decline sooner or later with leader Kim Jong Il's health problems, eliminating the need to have a major Marine presence in Okinawa, where the corps was originally deployed to respond to a contingency on the Korean Peninsula.
Old 2009-11-12, 18:02   Link #4645
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
I know he's just doing his job, but I have to commend his lawyer for managing to say what he did with a straight face. That's quite a performance.
Old 2009-11-13, 02:09   Link #4646
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I know he's just doing his job, but I have to commend his lawyer for managing to say what he did with a straight face. That's quite a performance.
it's both funny and sad...
Old 2009-11-13, 05:23   Link #4647
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
It is hilarious. Oh man how bad can stereotyping get? That marine should be deployed in Afghanistan to learn to identify real terrorists.

Anyway, if that priest had any knowledge in current affairs, he should have dressed more discreetly to avoid being mistaken for a terrorist.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-11-13, 12:44   Link #4648
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

New PC to encourage older users
Old 2009-11-13, 15:39   Link #4649
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Nasa 'ecstatic' after LCROSS impact reveals water on moon

Nasa discovers water on the Moon after crashing into lunar service

I, for one, is excited.

Old 2009-11-13, 15:40   Link #4650
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i would be more excited if it was blue cheese that was discover.
Old 2009-11-13, 16:57   Link #4651
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Cheese forget that when are they going to find the guy that apparently lives there.
Old 2009-11-13, 17:12   Link #4652
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Cheese forget that when are they going to find the guy that apparently lives there.
not guy, girl,

Old 2009-11-13, 17:52   Link #4653
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Wensleydale Cheese, eh Grommit?
Old 2009-11-13, 19:50   Link #4654
Shadow Kira01

A-bombed cities, Okinawa disappointed by Hatoyama-Obama talks

Quote:
‘‘I expected the president to commit himself to apologizing to ‘hibakusha’ by visiting Hiroshima and Nagasaki,’’ said Koichi Kawano, 69, chairman of the Japan Congress Against A- and H-Bombs, or Gensuikin, referring to survivors of the 1945 bombings.

‘‘Although he came all the way to Japan, there were no comments that went further than his Prague speech’’ in April in which Obama set out his vision for a world free of nuclear weapons, Kawano said.

Nobuto Hirano, a 62-year-old son of a hibakusha in Nagasaki who is supporting hibakushas living in South Korea, said, ‘‘It is inconsistent in the first place for the United States as a nuclear weapons state to call for the elimination of nuclear arms without declaring it will abandon its own.’’
Quote:
In the Okinawa prefectural capital of Naha, Okinawa Gov Hirokazu Nakaima said he is disappointed that Hatoyama and Obama did not mention how to resolve the thorny issue of where to relocate a major U.S. airfield in Okinawa in their talks.

‘‘It was disappointing that no specific reference was made’’ to the issue of the U.S. Marine Corps’ Futenma Air Station, Nakaima said in a statement as head of a prefecture that hosts the bulk of U.S. forces in Japan.
Quote:
‘‘I wonder if the wishes of many Okinawan residents for a relocation out of the prefecture have reached President Obama,’’ said Sakae Toyama, a 69-year-old peace activist in Ginowan.

‘‘It’s no easy task to convey the real voices of Okinawa to the U.S. president,’’ Toyama said, adding, ‘‘We will first call on the Japanese government to unify’’ its stance on the relocation matter, as some of Hatoyama’s cabinet members have floated different ideas about it.
Old 2009-11-13, 22:02   Link #4655
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

We could build a water funpark there.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-11-14, 00:56   Link #4656
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
We'll have our own Moon amusement park, with beer, blackjack and hookers!

This is actually quite exciting news and I can see why they're ecstatic. Sooner or later we'll find life so where!

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-11-14, 03:37   Link #4657
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
We'll have our own Moon amusement park, with beer, blackjack and hookers!

This is actually quite exciting news and I can see why they're ecstatic. Sooner or later we'll find life so where!
Darn, I thought you were going to break into the song.... "Whalers on the Moon"
Old 2009-11-14, 03:41   Link #4658
Ansalem
Speaker

We carry a harpoon...
Old 2009-11-14, 03:47   Link #4659
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Darn, I thought you were going to break into the song.... "Whalers on the Moon"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
We carry a harpoon...
*facepalm* There are no whales on the moon, because there is no atmosphere to contain air to which it can dissolve in the water.

Old 2009-11-14, 03:48   Link #4660
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

There's no air for them to breath, which is plenty. Whales are mammals, not fish. Unless they're space whales. In that case, all bets are off.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international