AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-03-11, 14:55   Link #1
bayoab

Promoting R1/R2 releases

Question out of curiosity.

Are there any other fansub groups that actively or semi-actively promote R1/R2 releases on their website/bt page or similar? Mentioning the availability of the DVDs counts if it is more than a "Licensed by ADV". (Release dates, sales, links, etc).

Examples: We Suck @ scarywater.
a.f.k. had a kick message in the channel on '@find Haruhi' pointing to the DVD on TRSI.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 14:59   Link #2
Kirarakim

I certainly think this is a good idea.

I think it would be interesting if fansubbers put messages on the actual fansubs about DVDs that are coming out (either for series they subbed before or for series that are somewhat similar to the series they are subbing now).

Well anyways I think it would be nice gesture.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 15:25   Link #3
cyth
Banned

I was kind of brainstorming this a while back, but fansubbers could be inserting a bit of product information in fansubs themselves (i.e. middle of the episode). Not necessarily for products out of the R1 region, perhaps R2 DVDs, manga etc. It's a long list.

I'm sure some people are willing to strike down this whole idea saying "This is warez, don't pretend you're working together with companies when you're actually working against them". I disagree, this could be a fun experiment, perhaps it might help convince some people to start taking a responsible approach to this hobby. I am absolutely positive it wouldn't hurt one bit to at least insert some inline Amazon links to release posts.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 17:12   Link #4
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

I sure as heck wouldn't do advertising for a commercial product without getting paid for it, and since I'd never involve money in fansubbing I'd sure as heck never do it.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2008-03-11 at 18:17.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 18:09   Link #5
Vagrant0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I sure as heck wouldn't do advertising for a commercial product without getting paid for it.
I agree, without some incentive, groups probably wouldn't want to spend the time (and additional file size) to add in a commercial for other anime. It might be viable as some sort of eventual quid-pro-quo arrangement with companies to get them to back off their "Torrenting is ruining our sales" rhetoric. But this sort of thing just seems more likely to only happen when Anime companies finally get around to streaming releases on their sites. If fansubbers were to try anything like this, they would probably be best off forcing people to watch a promo before being able to access their tracker listings. But again, becomes a matter of time and file size verses benefits. Short of some formal arrangement. doing something like this might end up being bad for the fansubbing group because that group is still releasing a series that that company has the rights to. Given how some companies have responded to fansubbers so far, I wouldn't be supprised if they tried taking the group to court for those stolen series, inspite of all the traffic that company was getting because of that groups advertisments.

From the viewer's standpoint, it can have some benefits. If used right it might let people know of other series (anime or manga) within the same genre or by the same writers of what they're watching. If used improperly it may be seen as an annoyance and an obvious attempt just to bleed more money out of the viewer (especially in the case of more expensive services (which would naturally lead to an even more expensive premium service that has their either toned down, or removed)).
Vagrant0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 18:20   Link #6
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant0 View Post
I agree, without some incentive, groups probably wouldn't want to spend the time (and additional file size) to add in a commercial for other anime.
I edited the original post, but just to clarify I'd never ever want to mix any form of commercial activity (and that includes advertising for commercial products) with fansubbing.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2008-03-11, 18:43   Link #7
cyth
Banned

You know, there's a difference between doing business and doing someone a favor.
Old 2008-03-11, 19:04   Link #8
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
You know, there's a difference between doing business and doing someone a favor.
Yes, but if you do a business a favor it's doing business.

Old 2008-03-11, 19:15   Link #9
cyth
Banned

No, I would be doing a favor to them as a fan. Let's not get lost in the semantics here.
Old 2008-03-11, 21:44   Link #10
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Quote:
I sure as heck wouldn't do advertising for a commercial product without getting paid for it, and since I'd never involve money in fansubbing I'd sure as heck never do it.
I too wouldn't advertize something for a company without getting paid, however on the subject of promoting the show, promoting the anime and promoting the R1 DVD's of the anime are two different things.

While I'd promote a particular show I enjoyed, I most likely would not promote the R1 DVDs because I have yet to find a DVD release that has met my expectations. This is partly due to the lacking specifications of the DVD format for subtitles, and the over-emphasis on the 'dub' which is almost never the reason I buy a R1 DVD.

Let's hope BluRay has better functionality in thier subtitle tracks, we may see higher quality releases from R1 companies.
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-11, 23:10   Link #11
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
I like this idea. A lot.

*goes to post about it in staff section*

I've tried to convince people to buy the DVDs of things we do when they whine about us being slow on releasing something... maybe this would get the idea out to a more general population than the whiners...
Old 2008-03-11, 23:42   Link #12
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Some groups already say stuff like "Please buy the DVDs when they are licensed in your region" (during the eyecatch where "Not for sale, rent or ebay, this is a free fansub!" usually appears) and I think that's a good thing, but actual ads, I'm a bit dubious of... by all means a fansubber's site can hqave links to online retailers. I fully support that idea, but advertising itself is a bit of weird territory, I think.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 00:35   Link #13
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:
Agreed. There are even egregious cases like with True Tears where Bandai is charging your arm, your leg, your left nut, and your first born child for the whole series, where I would even consider actively promoting piracy and not buying the DVD's. I know I'm not in the minority in this because even fans who actively buy DVD's are repulsed by the prices.

Last edited by tun; 2008-03-12 at 00:47.
tun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 04:47   Link #14
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
No, I would be doing a favor to them as a fan.
Yes, and as the favor in question (targeted advertising towards a narrow group of potential customers) is worth a lot of money to the businesses (something they would and actually do pay money for) it's effectively doing business with them, but for free. It can effectively be compared to selling fansub downloads, particularly if you're providing links to Amazon or other third-party resellers. Don't involve money in this hobby please, spreading the show itself is more than enough advertising as it is.

Old 2008-03-12, 05:02   Link #15
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Another thing to note about R1/R2 DVDs is availiability. Once availiable in North America, only specialty shops stock a decent supply. Most mainstream titles will hit the BestBuys & FutureShops, but lesser known titles end up in the back corner of Domestic Comic Book stores, not so obvious when you see Spiderman hanging off the entrance to the shop.

This is why conventions rock, they are very forward about thier contents. It's about anime/manga (usually...) and if you go there, you will find it.

When I see the store "Fireworks Comics" on the side of the road, there's only about a 30% chance they stock any anime / manga works, and if they do, the prices are likely inflated.

So if anyone IS going to promote anything, it may also help to promote the venue. Be it an anime-convention or a Online store w/ International Shipping.
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 07:21   Link #16
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Don't involve money in this hobby please, spreading the show itself is more than enough advertising as it is.
I see no money for the fansubber in this game, that's the way it should be. Now, I know you like to talk about efficiency a lot when it comes to making fansubs. Just fansubbing the show is not an efficient way to promote anime, you have to send people to the right address where they can buy manga, DVDs, figurines, the goods. The more likely scenario is that current fansubbing trends hurt the industry more than they do good to it. I don't think fansubbing is the only reason for the sudden drop in American licensing--that's a completely different issue altogether in my opinion--but it would certainly be ideal to be able to coexist with the industry as symbionts. I think it's time to start thinking progressively, especially when fansubbers have always considered themselves as part of the solution, breaking down regional barriers etc.
Old 2008-03-12, 08:20   Link #17
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Frankly, although inserting ads for legit DVD releases within the fansubs is only possible if the show has actually been licensed, in which case I wouldn't sub it in the first place, I've always included the standard "Please support this anime when/if it is licensed in your region" at the end of the show, normally in the thank you card after the final episode, etc...

Of course for me the point is somewhat moot as nothing I ever subbed has ended up being licensed... (almost).

As for advertising, I think it would be a hollow gesture on everyone's part, and would do no good.

The companies would say: "Hey, thanks for advertising the Haruhi DVDs in your lucky star fansubs, but if you wouldn't mind, we'd much prefer it if you would NOT FANSUB AT AL. Thank you."
The preachy fans would say: "Hey, that's nice of you to pretend like you're doing some good by putting ads in your fansubs, but we know it's all a big lie... If you REALLY cared about this industry you'd stop fansubbing altogether."
The leechers would say: "Dude, if I wanted to see ads, I'd watch TV"

I just don't see who you'd be pleasing, except maybe giving yourself a bit of a moral excuse?
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 09:14   Link #18
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I just don't see who you'd be pleasing, except maybe giving yourself a bit of a moral excuse?
Another point I agree completely with.

You're consistently the best poster on these forums. Keep up the good work.

Old 2008-03-12, 09:17   Link #19
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Quote:

Quarkboy is my god.
Old 2008-03-12, 09:29   Link #20
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
Quarkboy is my god.

Thank you, thank you. I'm here all night.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote