AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2007-12-24, 17:47   Link #181
zalem

Decent episode, but I'm not feeling for any of these characters so far. Alto just seems like a typical angsty shounen lead. Very boring. Ranka is your little loli in distress. From the looks of the trailer we'll probably be seeing more loli in distress scenes from her. Urgh. I don't have any opinion on the pop star...only that her music is pretty bad. lol. But I need to see more of her before I decide whether I like her or not. So far she seems ok.
Old 2007-12-24, 17:48   Link #182
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemil828 View Post
Taking a closer look, I was wrong, they actually aren't VF-11s, they are VF-17s, still, you have to wonder where all the Excaliburs went.
Well, the VF-19s could still be too expensive to put into full production. The VF-25s could be like the VF-19s in order to work out the prduction problems and better design them for exventual mass-production.
Old 2007-12-24, 17:59   Link #183
mikemil828
Enemy of all Humankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Well, the VF-19s could still be too expensive to put into full production. The VF-25s could be like the VF-19s in order to work out the prduction problems and better design them for exventual mass-production.
Even 14 years after Macross 7 it would be still too expensive? Oh well, kinda sad to see the jet go.
mikemil828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-24, 23:50   Link #184
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

I think you guys are all too over sensitive towards this series. Over-analyzing every song and speech pattern. Enjoy it for what it is.

I watched Macross since the beginning and followed it ever since. Personally, i almost creamed my pants from the all the Macross tributes. And the pacing of the episode is so awesome; in just under 30minutes they achieved so much compared to other premier episodes of anime.
Old 2007-12-25, 00:07   Link #185
ssfsx17

It appears to be a strong successor to the original series, and starts off with mostly the same premise. Time will tell whether it will have the depth of the original, but for now, I'm gonna stick with it.
ssfsx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 00:37   Link #186
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

*Jawdrop*

I gotta say, that was one helluva pilot episode. 10 mins in, and it already has that 'macross' feel to it. Mecha, Music and Melodrama, all the things that I loved in the original, I can just see it in the future for this series. Man, it's going to be excruciating waiting for it one cour down the road... (speaking of which, will this replace Gundam 00's timeslot? It would be awesome if it did)

Hopefully an HD subbed version would be released soon. The CG action battle scenes is just crying out for it.

Now on to catching up with the rest of the anime I've missed for the past 2 months... (you know if an episode is good when you have to stop watching the other 50 so episodes one has yet to see just to comment about that particular episode)

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 01:34   Link #187
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

it is the strongest pilot episode i've seen for a long time.
Old 2007-12-25, 01:56   Link #188
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Hmm. I wonder if it'll be a 26 episode show or a 50 episode one.

I'm not too keen on the studio that made it since I never exactly liked Noein (or scratch that, I hated it).

We'll see where it goes from here.

That said, it seems to be getting rave reviews from the first ep. But again, I wish they keep such quality over many episodes. Or maybe it'll be one of those short 12 episoders.. which would be sort of awkward for a mecha show.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 03:12   Link #189
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Counting down to Macross Frontier vs Gundam 00 flame fest in 3, 2, 1...

Still downloading my ep1.
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 03:30   Link #190
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Hmm. I wonder if it'll be a 26 episode show or a 50 episode one.
My money's on 50. Macross was only less than 50 because it got cut short due to low popularity like Gundam, yet like Gundam as well, it made a massive rebound. Macross 7 was 49 episodes, so I would assume they'll go for the 50-range again.

Just watched the episode, and I gotta say, I am in love with this series. It just pushed all the right buttons for me. It may have the "random school kid hops into mech" deal again, but mecha shows have been steering away from that for a long while now so it doesn't bother me. I don't really see why some people think Ranka is annoying though...

Also of note, is that while previously on the info sites Ranka has been placed above Sheril on the cast lists, the cast list in the ED credits of episode 1 shows Sheril above Ranka. So going by the yet-to-fail cast importance by cast order, it would appear that Sheril is actually the heroine. While Alto did have a much stronger startoff with Ranka (even grinning when thinking about her), Hikaru also had the same good start with Minmei, and look where that went. Anyway, I don't mind Sheril being the heroine much at all (actually seeing her in the episode made me like her a lot more than I thought I would watching the trailers), but I'll still take it better if Ranka is the one who gets Alto in the end. Hey, most mecha fans are lolicons.
Old 2007-12-25, 03:44   Link #191
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
Until the novelty of animating a clump of hair with a life of its own wears off
It will wear off in 4 months. The next novelty will be animating her wishes over the airspace. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
It could be because Ranka might potentially receive the least focus from the viewers among the 3 mains, since she's only the damsel in distress so far. Sheryl's well-portrayed contrasts on and off the public eye make her quite an interesting character(at least for me), and of course all eyes must be on Alto who's sitting on top of so many robot show tropes.
Of course within 'viewers', there are the people new to the Macross franchise who're just watching because of the hype.
From the rough outlook, Sheryl is the most realistic and serious. I mean, of course people save her own hide and don't do unnecessary things that might put them in danger. It's not her job to do so. Her job is to sing.

Alto will just... be going through the atypical motions.

Anyway, I stand by my prediction that by 2/3rd of MF, Sheryl and Ranka will be standing toe to toe, not literally.

And counting down to the episode "Frog Salad"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General View Post
Counting down to Macross Frontier vs Gundam 00 flame fest in 3, 2, 1...

Still downloading my ep1.
More like MF vs Code Geass II, considering the air time, but whatever. Comparisons are honestly, best avoided.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.

Last edited by Nightengale; 2007-12-25 at 03:56.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 03:57   Link #192
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
It will wear off in 4 months. The next novelty will be animating her wishes over the airspace. :P
*spit-take* I got punned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
More like MF vs Code Geass II, considering the air time, but whatever. Comparisons are honestly, best avoided.
*Looks above* You were saying?

But well, MF vs 00 are probably as unavoidable as the comparisons between SEED and 00, though they might be much less scathing. Geass vs MF IMO would go only as far as ratings numbers since there will be the unfairness between a stalwart of the genre and an upstart.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 04:38   Link #193
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

If Macross Frontier gets the 50 episode treatment, I'd say this has to be one of the best two years of mecha anime I've ever experienced.

So we have old classics like Gundam and Macross, then the young upstarts like Gurren Lagann and Code Geass. That is at least four bonafide mecha greats in a few years.

I think one has to be a real grouch to complain about mecha nowadays.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 05:18   Link #194
ipernorris

I'm watching the episode 1 raw: WHAT A WONDERFUL GRAPHIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 06:15   Link #195
Tenerezza

Can't really judge the plot beside it seems to be interesting, always been quite a big macross fan after all Specially Macross 7.

Also I gotta say, this is the first anime who's truly being made for HD as well it looked insanely good. So not a low budget title for sure.
Tenerezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 06:20   Link #196
organ

Macross Frontier ep 1 sub
Macross Frontier ep 1
organ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 06:26   Link #197
wontaek

I wanted to like this series but,
1. My wife and I despise Alto, already.
2. I am not impressed with the quality of music.
Old 2007-12-25, 06:33   Link #198
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Mmmmh wonder if they are going to be able to keep the quality for the whole serie. i hope they wont pull a shipunden on this : great realisation on first eps... crap for the rest of the serie.

i ll concur with W-General, cant wait for the fanboys flamewars between macross and gndam
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 06:45   Link #199
Westlo
Lets be reality

I got Macross over Gundam, *gets ready for war*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Well I'll just have to wait until I get a chance to see it in the episode, because the proper placement of a song with the right visuals can admittedly go a long way. I recall hating the Higurashi Kai theme in the trailer until I finally saw the proper opening video for it. Same with Gundam 00's Daybreak's Bell and some others. This time though I really think I just don't like the tone and pitch of the vocalist, but we'll see.
Those two songs you mentioned really grew on me as well once, anyway back to this song. I think the mistake you're making is that you're expecting and/or hoping for a Minmei/Macross type song. Sheryl is the one who is doing this and it's clear she will be more along the lines of Sharon Apple/Macross Plus which I think Kanno is channeling nicely so far for Macross Frontier. If anyone is going to be a throwback to Minmei/Macross style it will obviously be Ranka Lee, not Sheryl.

Quote:
If Macross Frontier gets the 50 episode treatment, I'd say this has to be one of the best two years of mecha anime I've ever experienced.

So we have old classics like Gundam and Macross, then the young upstarts like Gurren Lagann and Code Geass. That is at least four bonafide mecha greats in a few years.

I think one has to be a real grouch to complain about mecha nowadays
06-08 will be a good period for mecha fans, hopefully something else comes out next year and surprises us all, anyone know what that rumored Bones series Zumando (sp) is going to be about?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-25, 09:08   Link #200
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by organ View Post
Macross Frontier ep 1 sub
Macross Frontier ep 1
Isn't there a full resolution sub around? I hate to see that wonderful graphic shot down by the crappy resolution.
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, romance