AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2009-12-31, 01:46   Link #21
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well that's good news to know there's a second season. I hope they focus more on the music.
Old 2009-12-31, 03:32   Link #22
Jintor

And by "focus on" you mean "ANIMATE MORE INSTRUMENT SEQUENCES INSTEAD OF HIDING THEM WITH JARRING CUTS TO STATIC SCENERY AND/OR REACTION SHOTS"

right?
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 03:50   Link #23
Sai Feng
Yo-poko! O_O

Don't know what to feel about this, probably happy and not too happy about this. I liked the first season and it gave me some laughs, but I didn't like the drama they added into the show it seemed out of place. Hey it's KyoAni, so there will be some people who expect some sort of major serious plot and they might do that. I'm hoping this second season would keep the same vibe as the manga, a light slice-of-life comedy with no drama. Just fun and laughs.

After thinking about it I sort of wish the studio who did G.A. would have animated K-On.
Sai Feng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 05:01   Link #24
TadloS

Great news indeed! Hopefully it will air this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai Feng View Post
Don't know what to feel about this, probably happy and not too happy about this. I liked the first season and it gave me some laughs, but I didn't like the drama they added into the show it seemed out of place. Hey it's KyoAni, so there will be some people who expect some sort of major serious plot and they might do that. I'm hoping this second season would keep the same vibe as the manga, a light slice-of-life comedy with no drama. Just fun and laughs.

After thinking about it I sort of wish the studio who did G.A. would have animated K-On.
I don't mind drama. Well probably because I'm a drama fag. xD

And why do you want another studio to animate G.A. I thought KyoAni did a really good job on animating K-On!
TadloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 06:14   Link #25
Sai Feng
Yo-poko! O_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadloS View Post
And why do you want another studio to animate G.A. I thought KyoAni did a really good job on animating K-On!
I thought KyoAni did great on K-On too, it's just that I feel the studio for G.A. could probably do it better. Just in my opinion.
Sai Feng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 08:21   Link #26
Roardel

I have a friend in Nagoya, working at a CD shop. He said every crew in the shop talked about K-ON! second season.
Fans in Japan are all in carnival!
Of course me too.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 12:46   Link #27
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

More music and more musical animation would not be turned down. Especially more instrumental sequences... I'd like to actually *see* Azusa go off on a guitar improv, for example.

Sign of the times I suspect -- even "safe" material like K-on is only lit for one cour at a time (whereas L*S was initially lit for two cours). At least there's safely enough material for the second season.
Old 2009-12-31, 13:06   Link #28
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
I'm expecting the following. That the second season will cover their third years of high school and end with graduation. I'm expecting some fleshing out of manga content and some original content as well.

It's going to be a long wait for this second season, but at least it's been announced. I highly enjoy good news like this.
Old 2009-12-31, 13:53   Link #29
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Agreeing with Jintor. My interest in K-On! season two will depend wholly upon how many gorgeously-animated instrument sequences (and how much pro-audio gear product placement) there are.
Old 2009-12-31, 15:36   Link #30
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sai Feng View Post
Hey it's KyoAni, so there will be some people who expect some sort of major serious plot and they might do that. I'm hoping this second season would keep the same vibe as the manga, a light slice-of-life comedy with no drama. Just fun and laughs.
Why would anyone suspect "major serious plot" out of a studio that is primarily known for it's moe driven shows and having assumedly seen the prior season of K-On? That's like one of the last things to expect. Unless by "major serious plot" people would mean one of those awkwardly inserted "dramatic" scenes like with the cat and Tsumugi's part time job there in which case maybe.

Anyway so K-On made the most money out of all their stuff so far so a second season is kind of the least surprising news to come out of Japan in the last month or so. Controversial news, but not surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
More music and more musical animation would not be turned down. Especially more instrumental sequences... I'd like to actually *see* Azusa go off on a guitar improv, for example.

Sign of the times I suspect -- even "safe" material like K-on is only lit for one cour at a time (whereas L*S was initially lit for two cours). At least there's safely enough material for the second season.
Yeah, and also it doesn't help that I find 1 cour anime incredibly hard to get into because I know that even if I eventually do end up getting interested in the premise it'll usually be at the point when the season is about to end. For that reason I've learned not to expect to much out of 13 episodes burst series/seasons.

More musical instrument scenes means less time for moeblobbing around and Azu-nyan/Mio cosplay and I don't know if K-On would have been as successful with the otaku market had they not devoted the maximum amount of time to those sorts of things. Thus I can't say whether it's reasonable or not to expect more instrument and music related scenes instead of a second season filled with more tea and cake and established moe scenario (beach/shopping/festival etc.) time. Can't help but feel that the latter would probably mean a greater potential profit in the Japanese market. Yes sadly (or perhaps realistically) I've learned to base my expectations for a large chunk of anime off of how much money I think a desired course would yield from the otaku market versus the current safe, tried and true way with moe.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2009-12-31 at 15:46.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 21:34   Link #31
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

k-on is the best music theme anime in 2009 , looking forward for more songs and music videos, the mv for fuwa fuwa time is so awesome

i wonder if Ui will join the band
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 00:08   Link #32
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Yeah, and also it doesn't help that I find 1 cour anime incredibly hard to get into because I know that even if I eventually do end up getting interested in the premise it'll usually be at the point when the season is about to end. For that reason I've learned not to expect to much out of 13 episodes burst series/seasons.
On this point, I definitely tend to agree with you. While there are certainly some good shows at the 12/13 episode length, I too have a hard time getting into them in general. It does tend to feel like they're wrapping up just as they're getting started. I suppose it's still an improvement over the short OVA series of old, but it just feels short to me -- more like a small taste than engrossing experience. 24-26 episodes is still my preference.

Of course, some shows do this better than others. I guess the key is sort of not to bite off more than you can chew. My opinion about this show in particular is that it did okay in this area, but I was able to "get into" the show after a few episodes (didn't click immediately, I must admit).

---

Anyway, as for the balance of content and what to expect of the second season... I sort of think they're going to play it safe and keep the mix about the same. Concert and performance scenes are obviously nice (as Vexx said, they would "not be turned down" ), but they're really costly and time-consuming to animate, so I can see why it's not going to be all-concert all-the-time. Plus, in thinking about it, I think one of things they're playing off of a bit is that it offers just enough music that people who are totally non-musical can relate and enjoy it. It's sort of the "Rock Band" of musical depth; you don't have to know a thing about music, but can still catch some of the excitement. I think that's why it's "a show about the girls in a band" and not "a show about a band of girls"... if that makes any sense.
Old 2010-01-01, 03:15   Link #33
awkwardanimals

All my favorite animes are/have come out with second seasons!

Inuyasha, Haruhi, and now this? It's a great year for anime. Now all they need is Lucky Star Season 2...
Old 2010-01-01, 03:59   Link #34
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
A good balance of concert songs, training songs and everything found in high school life... (Yui will always end up failing one subject... maybe...)
Old 2010-01-01, 08:30   Link #35
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

There really should never have been any doubt about whether a second season was going to happen. KyoAni knows how to work a franchise, after all.

I, for one, look forward to more fun and vaguely music-related antics from the members of Houkago Tea Time. I really hope they do an episode based on...
Spoiler for Manga story:
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 08:50   Link #36
TadloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
It's going to be a long wait for this second season, but at least it's been announced. I highly enjoy good news like this.
I don't think we'll wait long for it. I bet 2nd season will start airing in spring or summer.
TadloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 14:13   Link #37
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadloS View Post
I don't think we'll wait long for it. I bet 2nd season will start airing in spring or summer.
Hopefully you'll end up being right. Since I would definitely like to see the second season air in 2010. I'd prefer Spring, but Summer would give them more time to prepare.
Old 2010-01-01, 17:31   Link #38
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
More musical instrument scenes means less time for moeblobbing around and Azu-nyan/Mio cosplay and I don't know if K-On would have been as successful with the otaku market had they not devoted the maximum amount of time to those sorts of things. Thus I can't say whether it's reasonable or not to expect more instrument and music related scenes instead of a second season filled with more tea and cake and established moe scenario (beach/shopping/festival etc.) time. Can't help but feel that the latter would probably mean a greater potential profit in the Japanese market. Yes sadly (or perhaps realistically) I've learned to base my expectations for a large chunk of anime off of how much money I think a desired course would yield from the otaku market versus the current safe, tried and true way with moe.
Urrrgh. Depressing stuff - that was all the stuff I... tolerated in the first season, rather than liked.

I mean, aside from the Instrumentals, K-On was generic as hell. Not that I minded, but I wouldn't have watched it if the music focus wasn't there (and KyoAni hadn't done it)
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 17:38   Link #39
prototype_sky

Wait, we get more K-on but not Beck oh well
prototype_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 17:40   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, the musical fun and daily grind of practicing and balancing it with life -- that's appealing. I'd prefer less of "teacher plays dolls with the kids making Mio cry" to be honest. The last episode of season one was actually quite charming -- in the end though, I'd like to see more music-focused sequences using jump points from the manga.

Tags
seinen