Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-17, 10:11   Link #61
Haiprbim
Banned

Lighter, blue-gray theme
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I like this theme because it is not too fancy, but it still isn't so sharp.
The example is from some Slovenian anime-focused forums, in case you are wondering.
Old 2013-05-17, 11:47   Link #62
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Some quick thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
V1 Dark theme, Light characters:
Images
Probably my fav. Good empty space, clear characters, good contrast. Would actually go for. Revert with white bg and black text works too.

Quote:
V2 Dark theme, Light characters:
Images
Too small text, bad contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
Personally I think this is a good example of forum style.

vBulletin Forums
Same problems as above. Too much at once.

Quote:
Lighter, blue-gray theme
Images
The most boring theme in existance. And too small text, bad contrast etc.

Old 2013-05-17, 12:29   Link #63
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFallout View Post
Some quick thoughts.

1. Probably my fav. Good empty space, clear characters, good contrast. Would actually go for. Revert with white bg and black text works too.

2. Too small text, bad contrast.

3. Same problems as above. Too much at once.

4. The most boring theme in existance. And too small text, bad contrast etc.
Would have to agree.
However, note that the Screenshot program I was using brings quite bad quality, or so it would seem. The colors are actually more outbreaking.
The first one I shared is my favourite too, but I have even better.
Old 2013-05-17, 17:10   Link #64
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Dark background, light characters make my eyes bleed after reading half a page of text.
I can switch off the monitor and continue reading on the wall thanks to afterimage. Maybe a good way to save on electricity.
Old 2013-05-18, 08:23   Link #65
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFallout View Post
*snip*
I don't think the text is all that small, and I have very bad eyesight.

The colors are largely the reason why I took a liking to it, it's really white and what little color there is is well-placed.
Old 2013-05-18, 08:50   Link #66
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
One suggestion I would make to improve conversion would be to put a prominent notice at the top for all visitors that says "Forum membership is free, and eliminates all ad links!".
It's a bit of an impulsive move, but I've decided to remove all ads from the forum (& site) for the time being (note: they'll likely not be gone forever). I was already using ad income from another site to cover AnimeSuki's hosting costs anyway, as ad income from AS alone wasn't enough.

So anyway, while you can't use it as a "selling" point anymore, the now non-existent ads won't turn people away (if they ever did) anymore either. It will be interesting to see the statistics in the long run.
Old 2013-05-18, 15:46   Link #67
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
It's a bit of an impulsive move, but I've decided to remove all ads from the forum (& site) for the time being (note: they'll likely not be gone forever). I was already using ad income from another site to cover AnimeSuki's hosting costs anyway, as ad income from AS alone wasn't enough.

So anyway, while you can't use it as a "selling" point anymore, the now non-existent ads won't turn people away (if they ever did) anymore either. It will be interesting to see the statistics in the long run.
Awesome. I don't know what impact it will have either, but I do recall seeing some conversations out there about how people found those ads rather oppressive/annoying, to which I pointed out that signing-in removes them. I think some people simply didn't know that was the case (and thought that everyone had to just deal with them).
Old 2013-05-19, 09:53   Link #68
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
I've seen around that many just take a 5-second peek at the site and it is enough to make them register or leave.
google analytics or gtfo

if you want to raise your conversion rate, you don't start by reskinning your entire site, you start by investigating user behavior (using google analytics, hotspot mouse tracking tools etc) and then do small changes and use A/B tests to determine if they stay or not

but who cares, because this isn't a business and raising the number of new user registrations per month has no inherent value

(I actually work with this shit in real life and it's annoying as shit because customers don't understand statistics, nor usability, nor good taste. The current site look is perfectly fine and looks exactly like what it is: a vBulletin forum.)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2013-05-19, 10:29   Link #69
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Dark background, light characters make my eyes bleed after reading half a page of text.
That is certainly something new to me.
Usually, I hear that darker themes with lighter characters don't waste the eyes so much, quite the opposite, more shiny and light the theme is, more it hurts them and forces them to work.
I can say it is like that for me too, but thanks for sharing your position as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
I don't think the text is all that small, and I have very bad eyesight.

The colors are largely the reason why I took a liking to it, it's really white and what little color there is is well-placed.
It is exactly and you've said, and I don't think the text is small, either.
However, wouldn't having that less colors feel a little blank? I mean, only the necessary ones are put, but IMHO, there could be a little more fanciness and decorations.

Quote:

It is great to see that you are trying to "perfect" and make the AnimeSuki as a whole as clean as possible.
It gives that good feeling that a site you are daily visiting is getting maintained well and you can rest assure of that.

However, you cannot cheat economy and the cost for the maintenance itself, and that is probably what you meant by saying that they will probably be back soon/have went away for a short time.

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-05-19 at 10:45.
Old 2013-05-23, 23:10   Link #70
Midnight Commander

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Awesome. I don't know what impact it will have either, but I do recall seeing some conversations out there about how people found those ads rather oppressive/annoying, to which I pointed out that signing-in removes them. I think some people simply didn't know that was the case (and thought that everyone had to just deal with them).
If you don't mind my asking, how much effort is put into garnering new members to the forum? It seems that this site is mostly run on the staff's spare time as a hobby, and in your earlier post you (relentlessflame) seemd to imply that this is not meant to be run as a business or for profit. If thats indeed the case, I'm a bit curious as to why not? Has it been more difficult than its worth to monetize the forum?
Old 2013-05-24, 04:24   Link #71
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Commander View Post
Has it been more difficult than its worth to monetize the forum?
It has been said multiple times by GHDpro now that one other site covers up the cost of hosting with ads there.
That other site is more free-going, while this site tries to aim for higher quality and deflects and kind of things that try to prevent or lower that.
In short, as far as I understand, no profit is made but there is no loss either. If there is a gain or a loss, it isn't big.
Old 2013-05-24, 08:21   Link #72
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Commander View Post
If you don't mind my asking, how much effort is put into garnering new members to the forum? It seems that this site is mostly run on the staff's spare time as a hobby, and in your earlier post you (relentlessflame) seemd to imply that this is not meant to be run as a business or for profit. If thats indeed the case, I'm a bit curious as to why not? Has it been more difficult than its worth to monetize the forum?
IMHO the problem with trying to "monetize" any forum is that (usually) most people are regulars, who don't click on ads (even if ads would be shown to all, which they were not: guests only).

The point of turning off ads was not really to increase forum signups, but to reduce annoyances. It wasn't a "business decision".
Old 2013-05-26, 12:23   Link #73
Haiprbim
Banned

Okay everyone, I'm sorry for not posting anything On-Topic on this thread for a few days now, but I've decided to end with this suggestion. At least, that is as far as it goes from my side.

It is not like I'm backing away or anything, but I tried to see this from different point of views for a while now.
In the end, these forums are Slow & Steady focused and there are better updates that could be done (Making the forums mobile-friendly for example).

Now, unless the whole AnimeSuki as a site would get a sudden change of heart and switch to dynamic mode (0.00001% of that happening), I'd like to put away this idea from being one of the hottest suggestions around.
The Forums have its unique theme, which is great. Everything has its own rhythm on this site, from discussions to visiting it in the first place. Many other communities would want their forums to be this way, badly.

Anyhow, keeping things short, unless anyone would want to point something out regarding the topic, I'd like to lay this thread with its idea low.
AS Forums have their ways which are going on for quite some time now, I hope they will continue to go for a much longer time, too.
Old 2013-05-27, 05:57   Link #74
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
In the end, these forums are Slow & Steady focused and there are better updates that could be done (Making the forums mobile-friendly for example).
You know one of the packages for vBulletin 5 upgrade has mobile site...I think.
Old 2013-05-27, 10:14   Link #75
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

The mobile skin is also a part of vB 4 as well.
Old 2013-05-28, 13:31   Link #76
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I propose a Neptunia theme.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-28, 17:55   Link #77
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, Haiprbim, I want to thank you for showing us some examples of the sort of site design you were speaking of. Most of them looked fine to me, but I must admit that I had expected something flashier. Perhaps that's my own fault, though, as I admit my imagination can get carried away at times.

Personally, I don't see a huge quality different between what we have now, and the examples you showed. I'd probably be fine either way, with the exception of one or two of your examples that I wasn't that fond of (white text on black background was indeed the best of what you showed, imo).
Old 2013-05-29, 07:58   Link #78
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Most of them looked fine to me, but I must admit that I had expected something flashier. Perhaps that's my own fault, though, as I admit my imagination can get carried away at times.
Your expectations were correct.
I have had something flashier and more coloful in my mind too, but in the end wanted to drop the idea so we never got to that.
Old 2013-05-29, 17:31   Link #79
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Your expectations were correct.
I have had something flashier and more coloful in my mind too, but in the end wanted to drop the idea so we never got to that.
Well, it might be moot now, but I'll share the ideas that your thread spurred for me.

In my imagination, I could see an Anime Suki with sleek curves at the corners instead of actual corners. There is a slight indentation. I saw bold, bright green in places where vBulletin has blue; a sort of jungle theme.

Alternatively, I also imagined Star Trek blue.

But how possible it is to take such imaginations and make them real, I don't know.
Old 2013-05-29, 21:42   Link #80
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But how possible it is to take such imaginations and make them real, I don't know.
Well, it's "possible" to do basically whatever you want, since it's just HTML/CSS. But vBulletin has a ton of little widgets/buttons/icons and a lot of different pages that would all need to be skinned. So the issue is the time investment. I estimate that, if someone were starting it from scratch as a commissioned project, it'd probably be about three weeks of full-time work or so (by a seasoned web designer). I'm not sure who has that sort of time/expertise to give away for free.

Of course, it'd be easier if you found a vBulletin skin/template that you liked already out there, license it, and use it as a base for tweaking. But it's still not a trivial affair.

And the other thing I would say is that, whatever the new design is, we'd probably still want it to gel somewhat with the existing banner contest images we have (and produce going forward). So that sort of limits radical colour changes and "far-out-there" designs to some degree.

But still, your ideas are "possible", if someone had the time to do it.

Tags
design, graphical, organization, theme