AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-07-10, 18:52   Link #1
Utsuro no Hako

High Score Girl

Quote:
The year is 1991 and 6th grader Yaguchi Haruo only has video games to live for. He's not popular in school and he's neither handsome, funny, nice nor even friendly. The only thing he has going for him is that he is good at video games. One day at the local arcade, he plays Oono Akira, a fellow classmate but who's popular, smart, pretty and a rich girl that absolutely destroys him at Street Fighter II. Not only does he lose to her 30 times in a row, he can’t beat her at any game. Haruo can’t seem to shake Akira off as she follows him from arcade to arcade everyday after school and beats him every time. As weird as it sounds, the odd pair begins a strange bond and friendship.
This has been big in Japan for a while -- it's been on the Oricon best seller list and was nominated for the Manga Taisho award -- so it's good to see someone's finally scanlating it. I'm not sure from the first chapter whether if it's supposed to be a shonen-fighter or a romance series.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 19:47   Link #2
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I love what I've seen here, and it is indeed very big in the sense that it seems always to have its own display in the manga section of Kinokuniya, Maruzen, etc. It seems like a strong candidate for an anime once there's a little more source material.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 22:11   Link #3
zp92
へへへ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I'm not sure from the first chapter whether if it's supposed to be a shonen-fighter or a romance series.
Well, I've seen the raws although I don't know Japanese, I'd say it's a romance series but the firsts chapters focused on the games and those things, of course seems like MC just think in games , but apparently he shows interest in main heroine (I think). BTW, who is scanlating it?
zp92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-27, 21:31   Link #4
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Wonderful little series!! I think what I like most about Oono's and Haruo's relationship is that, unlike typical high school/upper middle school romance comedies, there's not awkward blushing and such coming from them; just kids being kids, which I find quite refreshing =03. Out of the 8 available translated chapters, Oono hasn't spoken a word, yet she has more personality and character than yappity-yaps from some moefied show. It's a treat just to see how someone like Haruo translates her gestures into something understandable =03. Can't wait for more (^,^)!

Spoiler for chp 8:

Last edited by frubam; 2014-02-27 at 21:56.
frubam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 03:23   Link #5
Sagi

Oh man I really like this series, I really like how the author explains the mechanics of the games and the background of the video game systems.
Sagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 04:29   Link #6
Velsy

Read this on a whim last week and well I think its quite amusing. Theres been no real explanation why she beat him up in the first chapter, you can only assume she was pissed her unbeaten run came to and end.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 14:45   Link #7
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Read this on a whim last week and well I think its quite amusing. Theres been no real explanation why she beat him up in the first chapter, you can only assume she was pissed her unbeaten run came to and end.
Punching and tugging on sleeves seem to be her main methods of communicating.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 10:26   Link #8
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Now I'll be disappointed if every romcom that I follow doesn't use Big Bridge at one point.

I picked this one up some short time ago.... And at first I didn't know what to think, but eventually I got this smell about people growing more comfortable with each other by using their interest in games as "the means"... And as someone whose pretty much every valuable friend has been adquired through gaming, this certainly strikes the right cord with me.

The amount of memes used only make things better

Last edited by Okashira; 2014-03-06 at 13:14.
Okashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 04:50   Link #9
wtfkjp
Time Traveller

this manga has some kind of a charm to it

i dont know why but i love it and i always look forward for the next chapter

i wish there were no more breaks for the translators (hehe so much for being considerate for a leecher like me) i want more chapter releases!
the volumes are piling up!
wtfkjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 04:55   Link #10
Amanomurakumo

The characters all have faces like squashed frogs, but their quirky personalities make it work.
Amanomurakumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-17, 05:03   Link #11
Velsy

I heard from somewhere not long ago, that the author was being sued for copyright. Police raided his workshop or something. I've since stopped reading it, as expecting it to be dropped because of that.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 01:15   Link #12
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Just giving an update on this issue. The court case has finally ended and both companies have decided to allow the manga to continue to give their characters some spotlight. So High Score Girl has begun publication again since a couple of months ago.

news article here

In the end the author had no real fault in the matter as his editor and publishing company informed him that the copyright requests had been filed and approved when they never really did it. Though i suppose that just goes to show to follow up on everything.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-24, 01:23   Link #13
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
Now if only the anime adaptation was still feasible. This is one of my favourite manga series.
Old 2015-12-28, 16:40   Link #14
ellifeedn
Thinker

I started reading this series and I thought it was okay, but finishing chapter 9 won me over.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-28, 18:15   Link #15
Mach56gs
Do-Gooder

Love this series. All of the characters are supremely adorable.
Old 2016-05-23, 10:56   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, the serialization is officially back now under "High Score Girl: Continue", with all the retracted volumes being re-issued. Hopefully this is a precursor to the anime being re-started too.
Old 2016-05-23, 11:48   Link #17
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well, the serialization is officially back now under "High Score Girl: Continue", with all the retracted volumes being re-issued. Hopefully this is a precursor to the anime being re-started too.
What happened? Thought it was cancelled for good due to copyright or whatever it was.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-05-23, 12:45   Link #18
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That was settled months ago, and there were new chapters coming out. I think this represents a final agreement on all the material that had been pulled after the lawsuit.
Old 2016-05-23, 14:33   Link #19
Krono

Here's the news article for those who may be interested:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...n-july/.102400
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 20:36   Link #20
Xical
Phantom User

Necromancy post.

Now that manga is about to finish in Japan and scans are in 49, what you think about it?

Tags
video games