AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Bakemonogatari - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 51 37.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 28.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 21.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 8.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.74%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-22, 18:21   Link #81
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo
You suggesting that Hitagi was not wearing anything under the skirt ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf
I think it works better here because it is juxtaposed later with Araragi's reaction to Kanbaru's *ahem* pants. (I'm not sure if "spats" is the right name. I think there's another word for them, but it escapes me at the moment. I use them when cycling long distances, and they're also good to wear for long-distance running, because they help prevent abrasions.
I remember them being simply called "cycling shorts" long ago.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 18:57   Link #82
Clarste
Human

It's interesting that while Senjougahara casually insults Araragi at every opportunity, Kanbaru praises him at roughly the same rate. And its done with just the right level of enthusiasm that it becomes unclear whether she's just weird or extremely sarcastic.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 18:59   Link #83
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
It's interesting that while Senjougahara casually insults Araragi at every opportunity, Kanbaru praises him at roughly the same rate. And its done with just the right level of enthusiasm that it becomes unclear whether she's just weird or extremely sarcastic.
also one was possessed by a god and another is possess by a demon
Old 2009-08-22, 20:56   Link #84
solomon

What a nice guesture Senjougahara made in the beginning of the episode (NO NOT THAT ONE I KNOW YOU ALL ARE THINKING ABOUT)

Also

Spoiler for slightly lewd random thought:
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 21:05   Link #85
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Also

Well, if you're saying what I think you're saying...

I don't think that's possible with Senjougahara's present sense of self. Knowing what was almost done to her, I don't think she has moved on far enough from such an experience to the point that she's able to take the step towards the next level of intimacy.

Add in an Araragi who's quite hesitant in such matters, I can see this couple taking things slow but steady for quite some time.

Then again, this is Senjougahara we're talking about here. Who knows what she's really thinking?
Old 2009-08-22, 21:13   Link #86
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
What a nice guesture Senjougahara made in the beginning of the episode (NO NOT THAT ONE I KNOW YOU ALL ARE THINKING ABOUT)

Also

Spoiler for sightly lewd reply to that random thought:
Old 2009-08-22, 21:22   Link #87
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Spoiler for sightly lewd reply to that random thought:
Spoiler for not so lewd:

「ほら、私が、私の家で、二人きりで、昼となく夜となく、散々面倒見てあげたじゃない」
「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
 父親のいるところで、父親不在のときに家で二人きりになった話題など……。
ickem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 21:30   Link #88
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
Spoiler for not so lewd:
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Actually, I'm glad about this; for this early point in the anime, it makes their relationship more interesting (imo) if they haven't stepped towards the next level of intimacy yet.
Old 2009-08-22, 21:38   Link #89
Zetsubo
著述遮断

You guys seem to forget that Senjougahara was pleased Araragi is a virgin.

She is very sly.

She "initiailly teases" him about being a virgin (episode 2) but all the while investigating him... to see what kind of risk was involved in getting involved with him.

In real life people, especialy women, may tease you about one thing, but they are actually probing you about another.

For example, Episode 2, she was poking holes in Araragis ego all the while leading to her aim of finding out about his relationship with Hanekawa

Also remember in Episode 3, she states that virgins are easier to deal with as they aren't picky.

We may think she is reffering to herself, but she is hinting to araragi that his inexperience was something that was good for her... why ?

She has issues... and a virgin like him would be sexually safe.

A non virgin well experience man would put Senjougahara into major mental meltdown given her issues.

Again she states... The only women that would be interested in a inexpereinced virgin like you are crazy virgins like me.

To sum it up... they are perfect for each other because they will allow each other to grow, mature and heal, at a "comfortable" pace.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 21:40   Link #90
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Actually, I'm glad about this; for this early point in the anime, it makes their relationship more interesting (imo) if they haven't stepped towards the next level of intimacy yet.
They only step forward (as you termed it) after Hitagi exorcises her past demons.

Spoiler for so far way ahead you will regret clicking me:

heheehehee

*thank you mr. novel reader, you know who you are*

Last edited by Zetsubo; 2009-08-22 at 22:01.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 21:46   Link #91
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
You guys seem to forget that Senjougahara was pleased Araragi is a virgin.

She is very sly.

She "initiailly teases" him about being a virgin (episode 2) but all the while investigating him... to see what kind of risk was involved in getting involved with him.

In real life people, especialy women, may tease you about one thing, but they are actually probing you about another.

For example, Episode 2, she was poking holes in Araragis ego all the while leading to her aim of finding out about his relationship with Hanekawa

Also remember in Episode 3, she states that virgins are easier to deal with as they aren't picky.

We may think she is reffering to herself, but she is hinting to araragi that his inexperience was something that was good for her... why ?

She has issues... and a virgin like him would be sexually safe.

A non virgin well experience man would put Senjougahara into major mental meltdown given her issues.

Again she states... The only women that would be interested in a inexpereinced virgin like you are crazy virgins like me.

To sum it up... they are perfect for each other because they will allow each other to grow, mature and heal, at a "comfortable" pace.
Really well said. That's how I interpret it too. To add to what you said, I think that she was testing him when she offered to do any one thing at all for him in a previous episode - i.e. if he had picked something that she felt was over-the-top, she may have decided to not pursue a romance with him.

Quote:
They only step forward (as you termed it) after Hitagi exorcises her past demons.

Spoiler:

heheehehee

*thank you mr. novel reader, you know who you are*

Thanks for the info.

For those who don't want to know ahead of time, though, you might want to go back and edit in spoiler tags for your reveal here.
Old 2009-08-22, 22:02   Link #92
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
You suggesting that Hitagi was not wearing anything under the skirt ?
Wouldn't you like to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Nice catch. That didn't occur to me. It does increasingly seem as though Kanbaru is the "sun" to Senjougahara's "moon", doesn't it? No wonder Senjougahara finds Kanbaru vexing.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-22, 22:50   Link #93
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Wouldn't you like to know?

Nice catch. That didn't occur to me. It does increasingly seem as though Kanbaru is the "sun" to Senjougahara's "moon", doesn't it? No wonder Senjougahara finds Kanbaru vexing.
I wouldn't say Hitagi finds her particularly vexing. I think she does feel a little saddened that Kanbaru didn't come back after Hitagi rejected her now that she has her emotions back. She understood Kanbaru's actions, but I think it still hurt to have someone that was so close to her give up. I guess that episode was part of why she feels Koyomi is so special.

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
Old 2009-08-22, 23:24   Link #94
kujoe
from head to heel

I doubt Senjougahara is losing any sleep because of the falling out that has happened between them; rather as she says so herself, she wasn't able to settle matters properly when she tried to end her friendship with Kanbaru. Proper closure wasn't met, and perhaps this continues to be a complicated matter especially if she happens to know that Kanbaru has feelings for her beyond mere friendship.

I imagine that their friendship was something that Senjougahara could rely on back then—something that she could use into order to cope with her issues—but Kanbaru discovering her secret was the straw that finally broke the camel's back. She threatened with staplers, hell and brimstone just as she did with Araragi in the first episode. While Kanbaru was the friend she scared away, Araragi was the stranger who still wanted to help.

Perhaps now the two can reconcile. Unfortunately for Kanbaru, such a reconciliation wouldn't be the kind that she's looking for.
Old 2009-08-22, 23:50   Link #95
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I doubt Senjougahara is losing any sleep because of the falling out that has happened between them; rather as she says so herself, she wasn't able to settle matters properly when she tried to end her friendship with Kanbaru. Proper closure wasn't met, and perhaps this continues to be a complicated matter especially if she happens to know that Kanbaru has feelings for her beyond mere friendship.

I imagine that their friendship was something that Senjougahara could rely on back then—something that she could use into order to cope with her issues—but Kanbaru discovering her secret was the straw that finally broke the camel's back. She threatened with staplers, hell and brimstone just as she did with Araragi in the first episode. While Kanbaru was the friend she scared away, Araragi was the stranger who still wanted to help.

Perhaps now the two can reconcile. Unfortunately for Kanbaru, such a reconciliation wouldn't be the kind that she's looking for.
I didn't mean to imply that it haunts her, just that it probably does hurt her a little now that she has gotten her emotions back. They hadn't seen each other for a year when Kanbaru found out her secret, so Hitagi had a lot of time to build up her defenses anyway. Still, I think she was little disappointed at the time though. She says that she doesn't plan to go back to how things were, but part of it is that she feels that she can't get things back I think. That's one of the reasons why Koyomi asked about her relationship with Kanbaru in the first place. He thought she could still get back some of she lost or threw away.

「………………」
 何故わざわざそんな言い方をする……。
Old 2009-08-23, 00:03   Link #96
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I definitely enjoyed checking out this episode. Though as always the start involved a lot of stopping to read the quickly appearing and disappearing text.

The beginning did have one of my favourite moments. Just the concern you could read off Senjougahara when she put her hand on Araragi's head. I mean the guy did look like crap. Regardless of his healing ability that's not something that can be ignored easily. Still just had to smile at the service she gave. She really is an amazing character .

Well I can understand Araragi not telling the truth about what happened. I mean if Senjougahara was willing to take violent action just based on Araragi possibly being close to Kanbaru then what would happen if she found out Kanbaru beat the hell out of Araragi? He is a nice guy and wouldn't want to cause a dangerous situation without trying to resolve things himself. Though considering his massive injuries there is no way she bought that story. Well it probably didn't help that the story was pretty weak.

Anyways Kanbaru isn't that bad a character. Wasn't sure what to make of her at the start, but she's pretty likable. Will have to eventually move on regarding Senjougahara. Though I do hope they can reconcile in some way.

I was a little puzzled regarding her interaction with Araragi near the end. But reading through the thread I lean toward trying to keep Senjougahara pure by offering her own body up. But his attraction to Senjougahara is more than just about looks. Though I think only Araragi could perfectly describe his own feelings.

A surprise at the end with the true identity of that hand. I thought a monkey's paw would be an issue. But if we're getting involved with a lesser demon then things are going to be rough.
Old 2009-08-23, 00:10   Link #97
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
She says that she doesn't plan to go back to how things were, but part of it is that she feels that she can't get things back I think. That's one of the reasons why Koyomi asked about her relationship with Kanbaru in the first place. He thought she could still get back some of she lost or threw away.
I think what she means by that is that she wants to focus on the present and look to the future.

This doesn't mean that she thinks she can never get things back as the way they were, which is why Araragi reminds her of her past. But more than resettling ties of old, she wants to focus on new beginnings instead; hence, why I think she is saddened that she wasn't able to properly close things off with Kanbaru.
Old 2009-08-23, 01:14   Link #98
zato_1one

I think that it couldn't be helped that Kanbaru left Senjougahara. Kanbaru admired and loved her. In fact, She knew that she couldn't help Senjougahara's problem but at least she wanted to do her a favor and tried to comfort her. It was because Senjougahara said outright to Kanbaru that she didn't want to get involve with her again. For Kanbaru, that was really hurt. She didn't leave Senjougahara because she wanted to or had no more intention to help. But it was Senjougahara's wish. And Kanbaru thought that it was the only thing she could do for Senjougahara. If that could make Senjougahara felt a bit happier, she would do it. That was the reason Kanbaru left her alone. IMO

In case of Araragi, he was Mr.NiceGuy who happened to be there. It was because he got involved with oddity before and knew Oshino. That's why he insisted to help Senjougahara and brought her to Oshino. Thanks to his masochist body, he didn't care much about Senjougahara's attitude. If Kanbaru knew Oshino or knew ways to solve the problem. I'm sure that she would definitely insist to help Senjougahara too. I hope that Senjougahara and Kanbaru can become good friends again after this arc.
Old 2009-08-23, 02:10   Link #99
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I wouldn't say Hitagi finds her particularly vexing. I think she does feel a little saddened that Kanbaru didn't come back after Hitagi rejected her now that she has her emotions back. She understood Kanbaru's actions, but I think it still hurt to have someone that was so close to her give up. I guess that episode was part of why she feels Koyomi is so special.
That's an interesting interpretation, even though I don't agree with it. Given Senjougahara's personality, she appears to have an instinctive dislike for sharing her private emotions with other people. Araragi is the only exception to this rule, for reasons only she would know.

I get the impression that Senjougahara was annoyed by Kanbaru's insistence to help. Senjougahara's expression in Episode 6 when she was recalling their high school relationship was, to me, not one of wistful regret rather than one of confused irritation. Like kujoe suggested, I think Senjougahara realised, at some point, that Kanbaru's infatuation with her went beyond Class S emotion, and that realisation may have creeped her out, especially because she admits to having once been "very close" to Kanbaru.

It's bad enough that she was dealing with weight issues at the time; she didn't want to deal with problems of gender identity as well. Compare this with Senjougahara's venomous dislike for children, and it becomes harder for me to think that she's particularly "saddened" by Kanbaru's pining. Senjougahara doesn't like being put in situations where she doesn't know how best to react, and Kanbaru greatly discomforts her because her presence forces Senjougahara to question her own sexuality. She doesn't know how to deal with Kanbaru, and would therefore prefer that Kanbaru stays away from her.

Kanbaru, I believe, senses this hostility. She said so herself, wondering aloud to Araragi whether things might have been different between her and Senjougahara if she had been a boy. The hatred and jealousy that Kanbaru feels is partly directed at herself, for being "abnormal". Hence her particular supernatural affliction: a grotesque abnormality that reflects her roiling self-hatred, a hatred over her own gender identity.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 02:37   Link #100
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Kanbaru, I believe, senses this hostility. She said so herself, wondering aloud to Araragi whether things might have been different between her and Senjougahara if she had been a boy. The hatred and jealousy that Kanbaru feels is partly directed at herself, for being "abnormal". Hence her particular supernatural affliction: a grotesque abnormality that reflects her roiling self-hatred, a hatred over her own gender identity.
Quite the interesting way of looking at things.

So far, each character has been afflicted with some sort of supernatural abnormality. The sources for such curious cases are always those of the supernatural, but each affliction is also reflective of the personal and inner turmoil that resides in each of them.

Again, the story is wonderful in portraying this, resorting to plays of spoken and written language.

For Senjougahara, her issue is the loss of her 'weight' (重い) and 'emotions' (想い), both of which are pronounced in the same way. The story is even more blatant during Mayoi Snail, where the story is about Araragi's reluctance of returning home as it is about Mayoi who couldn't find her way. "Mayoi" isn't just a name, but it's also the word for confusion (迷い).

Such an interesting treatment to the characters' inner workings makes me curious of what Araragi and Hanekawa's arc are all about.