AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 101 43.35%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 26.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 18.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.29%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-08, 01:05   Link #201
kyp275
Meh

Also, people behave very differently in life and death situations, especially for those who lack the related trainings and experience (ie. most gamers, especially in Japan). It's not really something you can compare to normal gaming sessions.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 01:07   Link #202
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaray View Post
I heard diablo('s) have mode where your character will be deleted if you die, not sure as I have never played those games.
As answered, it's called hardcore mode.
There are people who completed the whole diablo III in hardcore mode but those guys lost several (or a lot) characters and playing it over and over again before they can acomplish that.
Don't work so well in SAO I guess
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 01:20   Link #203
molitar

Ok first of all EMP do not kill people.. Its the affects that do and that is pacemakers stop functioning, anything electronic will stop and cause problems. EMP is more of a temporarily problem and turning off and restarting will restart it. So to use EMP they would have to do it with precise timing because it's shut down would be a very short time with the battery to reboot itself.

Now the premise is good but the explanations are really flawed a battery would not have enough power to cause a microwave reaction to fry the brain. Now it is possible but not with a battery as an explanation it would require a high voltage capacitor in the headgear. Also any government would send in troops and shut down the server itself that controls everything.. Their is no explanations explaining why none of this is done... From a technological aspect I do not feel the author did much research. Just too many flaws.

1. How would they have got a game system approved with a dive gear that would have such dangerous potential as a weapon? To be able to fry a brain with microwave it would have to have a high power capacitor like in a TV but that would never be approved in a game system.

2. Why the government just does not send in troops and shut down the server itself or use truth serum on the developer to know how to really shut down the server properly.

Either way if something happened like this in RL than the government would be forced to act as their would be many relatives taken it upon themselves for vengeance against this psycho developer who killed there child or will cause there child to be killed.

To make this story plausible the world would had to be a different place.. Corporations ruling with no government per say so they can get away with anything but that is not how the world is portrayed which is why I stated that the author did not research into his novel at all and make things plausible at all. A good author makes the story plausible in a magic world that can be done with magic, science world science, ect which in this case should of been a world run by corporations that had full autonomy to pull something like this off not what appears to be a modern day world with a single psycho developer holding everyone hostage when there is too many weaknesses in the system.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 01:21   Link #204
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Also, people behave very differently in life and death situations, especially for those who lack the related trainings and experience (ie. most gamers, especially in Japan). It's not really something you can compare to normal gaming sessions.
I would assume it being an MMORPG this would be very tough for an average gamer. For example, if this were say a final fantasy game you'd just fight low level imps who give small exp over and over again. It'd be boring but you'd do it knowing your life is at stake.

In MMO's though, there are respawns and first come first serve when it comes to kills. This would be very hard to level up and get stronger taking a conservative approach however you cannot venture out too far to enemies that may be above you.

Forming parties would almost be required in this situation in which characters who are tanks and healers would be immediately snatched up leaving the normal damage dealers SoL to sit in the town.

This happening in a world such as ours would be very cruel.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 01:27   Link #205
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
I would assume it being an MMORPG this would be very tough for an average gamer. For example, if this were say a final fantasy game you'd just fight low level imps who give small exp over and over again. It'd be boring but you'd do it knowing your life is at stake.

In MMO's though, there are respawns and first come first serve when it comes to kills. This would be very hard to level up and get stronger taking a conservative approach however you cannot venture out too far to enemies that may be above you.

Forming parties would almost be required in this situation in which characters who are tanks and healers would be immediately snatched up leaving the normal damage dealers SoL to sit in the town.

Lv60 Hunter UBRS LFG
*20 minutes later*
Lv60 Hunter UBRS LFG

Its the reason why I only play Healers in MMOs, so easy to find a group.
Old 2012-07-08, 01:27   Link #206
noir senshi
Escapist Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by molitar View Post
...Why the government just does not send in troops and shut down the server itself or use truth serum on the developer to know how to really shut down the server properly...
Uh, you do know there's no such thing as truth serum, right?

Also, assuming everything the game master said is correct then as soon as they deploy troops, he could just kill everyone before he gets taken down.
noir senshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 01:33   Link #207
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post

Anyway, isn't the best course of action to get together, make an army and clean all the floors up to the top. Why do they want to compete for resources instead? I think I am missing some vital piece of game rules...
Think about a hostage situation. In a large-scale hostage crisis, you may have something like the hostages outnumbering the terrorists 5-1, or even 10-1. And yet you hardly ever see or hear about moments where ALL of the hostages step out and bumrush the terrorists through superior numbers (the only time I can recall that this ever happened was in United Flight 93 in 9/11, and they all ended up dead).

That's because while the chances of success collectively are great with the advantage of numbers, the unfortunate fact is that there will always a high chance of people dying in that attempt, especially against heavily-armed foes (i.e. enemies with guns, or game bosses several levels higher than your own). While we all like to think that we'd all be bravado and courageous when such a thing happens, our human nature is such that we'd think about how to get ourselves out alive first. Thus, people seek out their own individual solutions on how to survive first. It'd actually much easier for your proposal to occur had death not become a factor, since people can more easily "give up their lives" for the cause. With real, tangible death introduced though, people revert to their natural survival instincts. The only way to overcome said instincts is if either a person is unflappingly altruistic, heroic, or trained, which very few people in said MMO would be.

The only way people of various disparate beliefs and ideologies can be convinced to band together into such an army is if there is a leader among them capable of bringing them together, and as is clear to the novel readers and those who saw the PV's, such groups do exist in SAO (like the Knights of Blood) this being an MMORPG and all that with guild systems. But all 10,000 assaulting the towers all the way to the top in a single charge of glory is something that is highly unlikely to happen without a single charismatic leader bordering on godlike.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 01:39   Link #208
Bombo
TSF Fans

good start with first episode ...I can't wait for next week
and yeah ...i laught a lot after the guy who changed to be female hahaha.
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 01:41   Link #209
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Think about a hostage situation. In a large-scale hostage crisis, you may have something like the hostages outnumbering the terrorists 5-1, or even 10-1. And yet you hardly ever see or hear about moments where ALL of the hostages step out and bumrush the terrorists through superior numbers (the only time I can recall that this ever happened was in United Flight 93 in 9/11, and they all ended up dead).

That's because while the chances of success collectively are great with the advantage of numbers, the unfortunately fact is that there will always a high chance of people dying in that attempt, especially against heavily-armed foes. While we all like to think that we'd all be bravado and courageous when such a thing happens, our human nature is such that we'd think about how to get ourselves out alive first. Thus, people seek out their own individual solutions on how to survive first. It'd actually much easier for your proposal to occur had death not become a factor, since people can more easily "give up their lives" for the cause. With real, tangible death introduced though, people revert to their natural survival instincts. The only way to overcome said instincts is if either a person is unflappingly altruistic, heroic, or trained, which very few people in said MMO would be.

The only way people of various disparate beliefs and ideologies can be convinced to band together into such an army is if there is a leader among them capable of bringing them together, and as is clear to the novel readers and those who saw the PV's, such groups do exist in SAO (like the Knights of Blood) this being an MMORPG and all that with guild systems. But all 10,000 assaulting the towers all the way to the top in a single charge of glory is something that is highly unlikely to happen without a single charismatic leader bordering on godlike.
You want to gather a large raid of players and just zerg through the floors?

Sure, go ahead.

Oh wait, your raid just met one of the bosses, Vaelastrasz

Its your first time fighting him, you have no idea what to do

TPK
Old 2012-07-08, 01:49   Link #210
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Now the premise is good but the explanations are really flawed a battery would not have enough power to cause a microwave reaction to fry the brain. Now it is possible but not with a battery as an explanation it would require a high voltage capacitor in the headgear.
Consider the tech level necessary to maintain a device capable of full sensory immersion, and the likely energy requirements of such a device. Given that this story takes place in the future, one would expect that battery tech has also progressed to a point where this is possible.

Quote:
Also any government would send in troops and shut down the server itself that controls everything.. Their is no explanations explaining why none of this is done...

2. Why the government just does not send in troops and shut down the server itself or use truth serum on the developer to know how to really shut down the server properly.
One of the reveals in the story is where the developer is, and the reason why it has taken so long to track him down. But that would constitute novel spoilers, and thus cannot be answered here.

And as already mentioned, truth serums that conveniently make a person tell the truth do not exist - there is no drug that you can make someone drink and they'll sudden turn honest. There are drugs and chemicals that can loosen a person's inhibition to lie (alcohol anyone?), but to get the truth out of someone would still require 'proper' interrogation tactics.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 01:51   Link #211
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
The story line is pretty interesting. I think I can relate to Kirito. There are a couple things I don't see realistic in the first episode.

1. Kirito (beta tester) helping out a noob
If he was like level 20 helping out a noob, I can believe but both starting out the same time and both stayed at level 1 until GM introduction. If a game is released I'm pretty sure people will start leveling as fast as they could, unless they are those who actually read everything. The storyline should be easy to follow so rushing to high level I don't see a problem.

2. Too many females. Sure there are females playing mmos but there are just way too many. lmfao

3. Early area is way too empty, and no one pk'ing.

4. 2000 died only in a month? that's it? and still on first floor.

Everything else I find it pretty interesting. Would keep watching until the end.
Spoiler for :

I swear, if any producers of a game creates something which if the character in-game dies, the person who played that character dies also, that is considered mass murder through online means.

Though, what happen if there is a maintenance halfway through the game? All of them die? The producers of the game have to consider that factor too.
Old 2012-07-08, 01:53   Link #212
molitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir senshi View Post
Uh, you do know there's no such thing as truth serum, right?

Also, assuming everything the game master said is correct then as soon as they deploy troops, he could just kill everyone before he gets taken down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_drug

There is a drug and considered to be more torture than anything else as it still requires after using the drug some persuasion. It just tends to make them more receptive and is illegal.

Like a game developer is going to stand a chance against any crack elite military force? But their has been no explanation saying why they could not just cut all power to the server itself. Infiltrate take out the backup power units than cut power to the building.. done no power left.

So from a reader that reads novels their is no way I would read this authors because there is so many ways he could of made it plausible but did not even care to even try with such a weak premise as I have seen in the Anime and did some reading online to see if parts were left out but nope from what I read online it's the premise and no explanation at all why server can't be shut down. I don't even get how this was even made into a novel in Japan if our fantasy novels or scifi novels were like this nobody would read them there has to be some sort of explanation to make it plausible in it's environment.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 02:07   Link #213
kyp275
Meh

Quote:

Another thing to keep in mind is that this is a VR game, viewed from the player's own personal perspective and acted out by the player's own action and reflex, and designed to be very life-like.

It's one thing to fight a giant monster with an avatar on a 2d monitor, it's another when you're directly looking into the face of said monster and have to fight it up close and personal, all the meanwhile knowing that a slip up means you're dead.
Old 2012-07-08, 02:14   Link #214
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that this is a VR game, viewed from the player's own personal perspective and acted out by the player's own action and reflex, and designed to be very life-like.

It's one thing to fight a giant monster with an avatar on a 2d monitor, it's another when you're directly looking into the face of said monster and have to fight it up close and personal, all the meanwhile knowing that a slip up means you're dead.
It doesn't matter no one likes to die and does everything they can to avoid it. You may say you're looking at the face of a monster but not every boss character is a monster. You may come upon a very humanoid boss character whose abilities you don't know.

Say you suddenly come upon a boss wizard type human. What do you do? What spells is he most likely to use? What spells may control your very ability to parry/dodge/move? What if suddenly he casts a spell that somehow negates your abilities?

It's stuff like that I'd be worried to run into.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 02:17   Link #215
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

People do die in real life from playing MMORPG due to exhaustion...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 02:26   Link #216
Xacual

Quote:
Like a game developer is going to stand a chance against any crack elite military force? But their has been no explanation saying why they could not just cut all power to the server itself. Infiltrate take out the backup power units than cut power to the building.. done no power left.
Any connection lost from the servers, you know taking out the power kills everyone. Also are you just assuming the creator hung around in his fancy company building while he did that? I really bet he wasn't that dumb to do that.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 02:27   Link #217
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
People do die in real life from playing MMORPG due to exhaustion...
For example, Diablo 3? Hmm... Though, now it makes sense that SAO is the other version of Diablo 3 minus the ranged jobs.(Archer) Like someone said here, hardcore mode is when if your character dies, he/she will die forever.

Heard of it before though, but this is too much...

You can't leave the game. Leaving or force taking out NerveGear will kill. Your character dies in-game = you die in real life.

This brings the Hardcore in MMORPG to test. And is telling us how online gaming is bad to us.(In a sense, brb while I play online games. *FRIED* )
Old 2012-07-08, 02:28   Link #218
novalysis

I would think though, that the 2000 causalities are disproportionately concentrated among the rushers. And trolls, etc.

So, I'd suspect alot of the more conservative players are only beginning to make headway in the past two weeks, after the initial rush and possible Ganking waves outside the towns subside. Furthermore, given that the first level has not yet been cleared in the first month (strange, since beta testers made it at least beyond Level Eight)

That implies that if you are going to rush. Be very careful. If survival is at stake, my suspicion is that most Non Beta testers would be much more conservative. Waiting for two weeks may be better than rushing out.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 02:30   Link #219
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Ok first of all EMP do not kill people.. Its the affects that do and that is pacemakers stop functioning, anything electronic will stop and cause problems. EMP is more of a temporarily problem and turning off and restarting will restart it. So to use EMP they would have to do it with precise timing because it's shut down would be a very short time with the battery to reboot itself.
Electronic devices can, and are hardened against EMP, it is not that hard.

Quote:
Now the premise is good but the explanations are really flawed a battery would not have enough power to cause a microwave reaction to fry the brain. Now it is possible but not with a battery as an explanation it would require a high voltage capacitor in the headgear.
Please take note that this occurs in a future where exits a neural-interface that is capable of intercepting and redirecting all brain signals, and create a full life-like immersion virtual reality, all in the size of a motorcycle helmet.

what were you saying about battery technology again?

Quote:
How would they have got a game system approved with a dive gear that would have such dangerous potential as a weapon? To be able to fry a brain with microwave it would have to have a high power capacitor like in a TV but that would never be approved in a game system.
please see above on the subject of future-tech.

Quote:
Why the government just does not send in troops and shut down the server itself or use truth serum on the developer to know how to really shut down the server properly.
Shutting down the server would have the side-effect of killing all the gamers, as being disconnected from the server for more than 2 hours is one of the conditions for the kill order to execute.

Also, the core of the system used by SAO is designed by a single guy - the genius Kayaba, who probably wasn't stupid enough to stick around where he could be found when this happened

Quote:
So from a reader that reads novels their is no way I would read this authors because there is so many ways he could of made it plausible but did not even care to even try with such a weak premise as I have seen in the Anime and did some reading online to see if parts were left out but nope from what I read online it's the premise and no explanation at all why server can't be shut down. I don't even get how this was even made into a novel in Japan if our fantasy novels or scifi novels were like this nobody would read them there has to be some sort of explanation to make it plausible in it's environment.
please do not mistake your own lack of reading comprehension and logical reasoning capability as the fault of the authors. SAO's premise is rather clearly laid out, and quite frankly well on the more plausible side of your typical anime story setting.

Last edited by kyp275; 2012-07-08 at 02:51.
Old 2012-07-08, 02:35   Link #220
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
It doesn't matter no one likes to die and does everything they can to avoid it. You may say you're looking at the face of a monster but not every boss character is a monster. You may come upon a very humanoid boss character whose abilities you don't know.

Say you suddenly come upon a boss wizard type human. What do you do? What spells is he most likely to use? What spells may control your very ability to parry/dodge/move? What if suddenly he casts a spell that somehow negates your abilities?

It's stuff like that I'd be worried to run into.
You're looking at it as a game still, while I'm just telling you that it's quite different when you're in a real life combat situation, which is what SAO has basically turned into.

Just because nobody wants to die and will try to do everything they can do avoid it, doesn't mean they will remain calm and actually do the correct thing, especially for those without proper training. This I have seen first hand.

Tags
sci-fi, shonen