AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 42 15.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 18.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 67 25.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 57 21.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 28 10.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 3.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 1.87%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 2.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.75%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-07, 06:23   Link #401
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsu Koneko View Post
Well, one of my friend's friend saw the episode and thought Kyrie was a pretty boy. xD Oh man, she was surprised when I told her that Kyrie was a girl.
B-b-b-b-but her breasts! How can anybody mistake those for a boy's. D:

I'm okay with Kanon's voice. It fits him. I don't think it's too girly, actually, I've heard way worse... (such as Near's voice in Death Note D

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they added later some of the scenes they cut in the first episode, they wanted to end the episode in a cliffhanger so they had to hurry the introductions, but they still have 4 episodes left for Ep1.
Old 2009-07-07, 10:50   Link #402
Ikonomi
∞て何だ。。。

Gosh, this thread is long. By the time I read through it all most of what I wanted to say had already been said!

I didn't read the VN, so this is my first experience with Umineko. I went into it knowing this isn't my kind of thing, but I was pleasantly surprised. The storyline seems really interesting, and I'm eager to get to the meat of the plot. There's just too much great backstory here.

I can see the anime had a lot to cover in one episode, and while it wasn't confusing, it seemed like there was a lot of stuff missing. You're kind of left to guess at who's who in the family. The huge cast is going to be hard to keep track of based on the SUPER brief introductions they gave everyone. I can only assume the cast is going to, er, shrink, so this won't be a problem. Oh, and certain characters suddenly flying into rages was really unexpected and kind of comical. What Eva said to Natsuhi was pretty damn harsh, though, and Klaus dismissing her was pouring salt in the wound. Ouch.

There are a few individual characters who stuck out. Battler seems pretty likeable, but his perversion was out of place. Jessica was a great supporting character and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her. Out of all the young characters, though, I really wished George had more dialogue. I mean, he was just a prop for most of the episode.

Maria... erm, what can I say about her? I can totally see what they were going for, but I don't think it quite worked out. It felt like there were three separate Marias going on -- the cute one, the annoying one, and the creepy one. You got brief flashes of the cute Maria ("Pikuniku! Pikuniku!") and the creepy Maria ("Sinister. Sinister." and the scary OP), and a LOT of the annoying Maria. I REALLY liked the creepy Maria and saw a ton of potential there. But, I was genuinely wondering for most of the episode if she was meant to have some sort of mental disorder, Asperger's or Autism or something. That would be a pretty cool story element if it were true, but I was just annoyed most of the time by her overly-childish dialogue and "uuu uuu uuu UUU UUuUuU". She doesn't communicate like any 9-year-old I've ever met. That "uu" was not cute, even the first time.

All I can say is I'm looking forward to the creepy Maria very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttak View Post
Maria annoyed him badly (cheering when she got slapped by Rosa).
Oh, thank God I wasn't the only one.

What this episode really succeeded at was setting the atmosphere. Everything is so sumptuously gothic. The rose garden, the dark rooms, the ornate decoration, the approaching storm. I think that, more than anything, is what made me want to see the next episode. It's just so dark. I like it. The OP and ED extended this feeling quite well. The ED song actually grew on me. At first I was like >:0, but then I was .

My impressions are overall positive. I'm really interested to see what's going to happen in the next episode.
Old 2009-07-07, 11:59   Link #403
Alaya
Counter Force

I believe VN players have a lot to say (read: spoil) but fear the scary red sword of the Moderator XD. But trust me, every action of character have meanings, may they be clear or subtle ones.

Ummm, it seems many people are confused about relationship between characters so I guess it would not hurt (read: me getting banned) to introduce about relationship within Ushiromiya familya a bit.

From what you see in anime, Natsuhi is called by Eva using harsh words. This is the result that Natsuhi married into the Ushiromiya family. For Ushiromiya family, the person who married in will not be consider as a blood-related family member. They would be mostly regarded as outsiders. That's the reason why Eva treat Natsuhi badly.

EDIT: Delete the rank system until it is proved will not be animated.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.

Last edited by Alaya; 2009-07-07 at 13:05.
Old 2009-07-07, 12:19   Link #404
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I would wait until ep1-2 before talking in full lenght about the rank system, just in case the anime is postponing it.

Not like it is really a spoiler but still...

Old 2009-07-07, 12:46   Link #405
maximilianjenus
[E]

I agree with jan... as I think they might explain that stuff in the later episodes so those don't feel rushed and to give the events a better pacing(damn, it's ahrd to explain without giving *spoilers*).
Old 2009-07-07, 13:28   Link #406
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Well i am very late i just had the opportunity to watch episode 1 of Umineko no Naku Koro ni. I have been very excited about its premiere since the guys around here told me about the premise sometime ago and the fact that is done in the same style as Higurashi no naku koro ni of course i would be addicted in no time. The first episode was good introduction of characters and the myth behind the witch were done smoothly. The OP had my attention right off the back as did the BGM i am very satisfied. Through in a legend about a witch an isolated island and a family fighting over inheritance money you are sure to get some nasty business. I like the animation seemed smooth and colorful but shaded at the right time. I noticed that once again there is only one teenage male in the group followed by a couple of younger girls and of course sisters and wives of family members there is more than enough people on the island for the blood to flow.

I have not played the game but i usually end playing games after i see a series and this one will be no different. I am very excited that we get to start with wild speculations and deconstruction of such a mysterious series and i hope that it is as much as a mind rape as Higurashi was.
Old 2009-07-07, 13:34   Link #407
Ttak

Nice that you liked it, looks like the new viewers will keep watching and enjoying it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I noticed that once again there is only one teenage male in the group followed by a couple of younger girls and...
You forgot chubby poor George ^^
Old 2009-07-07, 13:38   Link #408
Alaya
Counter Force

I wish George would not start slicing people into 17 pieces XD.

You will have a lot of opportunity to make *a lot of* speculation later... We might even need a whole thread for theory and speculation specifically for anime viewers.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2009-07-07, 13:40   Link #409
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

He's not a teenager though. Battler and Kanon are.

Old 2009-07-07, 13:44   Link #410
FireChick

Wow, Umineko's getting some more subs. SEACATS and even Hatsuyuki subs released episode 1 already!
Old 2009-07-07, 13:59   Link #411
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaya View Post
I wish George would not start slicing people into 17 pieces XD.

You will have a lot of opportunity to make *a lot of* speculation later... We might even need a whole thread for theory and speculation specifically for anime viewers.
There IS a thread like that XD Well at least that one is for first-timers :P
Old 2009-07-07, 14:25   Link #412
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
There IS a thread like that XD Well at least that one is for first-timers :P
Well, it's easier to sort the thread out rather than clamp everything into single thread, in my opinion. It would have lower risk to spoil new comers too. But right now, I guess that thread will do until...

Old 2009-07-07, 15:43   Link #413
elite-dreams
Boku no matsuro

it wasnt so bad :O tho it did have that eerie feeling like in higurashi xD

some reason maria reminds me of rena >.>
Old 2009-07-07, 16:06   Link #414
Yami Sonozaki
Shion's follower xD

Send a message via MSN to Yami Sonozaki Send a message via Yahoo to Yami Sonozaki
She reminds me of Satoko xd... she was the most annoying little brat in there >_>
Old 2009-07-07, 20:33   Link #415
Rena Ryuuguu
Hinamizawas Cleaver Girl

Send a message via MSN to Rena Ryuuguu
before the Umineko Anime came out I always hoped Kanon would be voiced by Kobayashi Yuu or Maya Sakamoto so as for me ..my wish came true
Old 2009-07-07, 21:14   Link #416
Jze0
Hmmm...

Ok... I watched the first episode of this series and I have to say that this is very interesting. I'd planned on watching this after reading the first two chapters of the manga and the anime did not disappoint. The plot, characters and setting really intrigued me so I plan to watch this until the end.

As a dedication for this new found show I've changed my signature to show my liking to Umineko.
Old 2009-07-08, 04:30   Link #417
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

There's actually a lot of subtle little events and dialogue in the furst episode that are rather important, especially that episode 2 airs within 24 hours.

Just wanted to point out that you shouldn't disregard small things because they are likely to be really important later.
Old 2009-07-08, 05:04   Link #418
FireChick

By the way, when I first saw the anime version of Kyrie, I nearly thought she was a white-haired Natsume (from Natsume Yuujinchou) at first until I saw she was a woman.
Old 2009-07-08, 10:03   Link #419
Kazuki_Kun

Does episode 2 air today? I can't figure out if it's today or tomorrow.. last weeks came out on Wednesday though, right?
Old 2009-07-08, 10:07   Link #420
Kitsu
The unlucky one

It airs today, in 2 hours or so