AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-04-21, 21:09   Link #3641
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

We don't knowabout the seriousness and nature of the thread ( his parents's behavior), but given it's SaintessHeart ( someone than showded in the past both weirdness and brain) I would keep a open mind while asking for more informations.
Old 2010-04-22, 07:04   Link #3642
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
We don't knowabout the seriousness and nature of the thread ( his parents's behavior), but given it's SaintessHeart ( someone than showded in the past both weirdness and brain) I would keep a open mind while asking for more informations.
This question sounds silly, but it is 99% serious, 0.5% rant and 0.5% sarcasm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
<snip>
Looks like two things :

1. Singapore government has got excellent transparency in legal operations. I knew most of that from solely Google.

2. I am screwed due to those laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Doesn't sound like "they're financially ruining me with their spendy habits" qualifies :P
I think it is more like : mother doesn't earn enough to send both children for tertiary education, father refuses to fund children's education expense due to extra marital affairs, legal system has no way to intervene due to rigidly structured laws and government agencies can't intervene due to their SOPs.

And either reason constitutes to a "No. F*** off." under the legal system.

As of now, though I have secured a job paying a minimum of 1k per month, I am lacking in attendance over at my school, which disallows me to take exams at the end of this semester. I am contesting it to the school management and all they quote is the bloody "school rules", "student-school contract" and "financial assistance plan" which I don't qualify for due to my overall family income (including my father's who doesn't even give a single cent).

Another of the dumber suggestions I get is that I work first, then further my education later. If anyone of them read the Key Household Income Trends, 2009, Feb 2010 (Occasional Paper), Singapore In Figures 2009 and Report on the Household Expenditure Survey, 2007/08, plus the relevant articles listed on this page like Economical Statistics, all of the indicators point towards economical growth and/or inflation.

And due to :

1. My parents are set to retire in 5 years time (meaning I have to feed them under Obligatory Parental Support).

2. I am holding a job, not a career (meaning no opportunity for personal and financial growth).

3. My job is increasingly outsourced to foreign nationals and permanent residents due to insufficient locals wanting the job and lower cost of hiring foreigners (meaning there will be a recontract at a lower pay in the future).

4. I am only holding 'O' Levels (my 'A's don't count since I got bad grades).

5. Rising costs of living (and possible further rise in the next few years)

6. Certification limbo (either overqualified, underqualified or unqualified for most jobs).

7. Lack of time for a response (I can only miss 1 more day of school, and I have 5 more days of work training which I cannot miss).

8. Unable to submit continuous assignments (50% of overall mark weightage) due to not being able to attend school and meet the lecturer (which of course, is due to the work training).

9. Requirement to pay damages if I quit my job due to training being provided by the government and company is unable to claim from the Workforce Development Scheme as I have quitted halfway through.

10. No guarantee of a job sufficient to paying off a bank loan even after I graduate (which I can't even get in the first place).

================================================== ==========================================

And no, I cannot take my dad to court because :

1. Under the Women's Charter, Part 8, Section 69, it states :

Quote:
(2) A District Court or a Magistrate’s Court may, on due proof that a parent has neglected or refused to provide reasonable maintenance for his child who is unable to maintain himself, order that parent to pay a monthly allowance or a lump sum for the maintenance of that child.
This requires a PI report AND my mother's verbal statement as a witness. And my mum refuses to because it makes her "throw face".

2. Although

Quote:
(3) An application for the maintenance of a child under subsection (2) may be made by —

(a) any person who is a guardian or has the actual custody of the child;

(b) where the child has attained the age of 21 years, by the child himself;

(c) where the child is below the age of 21 years, any of his siblings who has attained the age of 21 years; or

(d) any person appointed by the Minister.
These

Quote:
(4) The court, when ordering maintenance for a wife or child under this section, shall have regard to all the circumstances of the case including the following matters:

(a) the financial needs of the wife or child;

(b) the income, earning capacity (if any), property and other financial resources of the wife or child;

(c) any physical or mental disability of the wife or child;

(d) the age of each party to the marriage and the duration of the marriage;

(e) the contributions made by each of the parties to the marriage to the welfare of the family, including any contribution made by looking after the home or caring for the family;

(f) the standard of living enjoyed by the wife or child before the husband or parent, as the case may be, neglected or refused to provide reasonable maintenance for the wife or child;

(g) in the case of a child, the manner in which he was being, and in which the parties to the marriage expected him to be, educated or trained; and

(h) the conduct of each of the parties to the marriage, if the conduct is such that it would in the opinion of the court be inequitable to disregard it.
and

Quote:
(6) An order under subsection (2) ceases to be in force on the day on which the child attains the age of 21 years unless the order is expressed to continue in force for a period ending after that day.
Quote:
(8) When ordering the payment of maintenance under this section or at any time after the making of the order, the court may, if it considers just, order the person liable to pay the maintenance to secure the whole or any part of it by vesting any property belonging to the person in trustees upon trust to pay the maintenance or any part of it out of the income from the property, and subject thereto, in trust for the settlor.
messed everything up. Why? My dad is completely broke without a single cent in his bank account. All went to that bitch out there.

Not even this works

Quote:
(5) The court shall not make an order under subsection (2) for the benefit of a child who has attained the age of 21 years or for a period that extends beyond the day on which the child will attain that age unless the court is satisfied that the provision of the maintenance is necessary because —
Despite

Quote:
(a) of a mental or physical disability of the child;

(b) the child is or will be serving full-time national service;

(c) the child is or will be or (if an order were made under subsection (2)) would be receiving instruction at an educational establishment or undergoing training for a trade, profession or vocation, whether or not while in gainful employment; or

(d) special circumstances, other than those stated in paragraphs (a), (b) and (c), exist which justify the making of the order.
due to (and maybe even all of the above shit I have quoted) it be refutable with THIS under Part 10, Chapter 5, Section 122,

Quote:
Meaning of “child”
122. In this Chapter, wherever the context so requires, “child” means a child of the marriage as defined in section 92 but who is below the age of 21 years.
I don't have alot of legal help. Neither are my parents helping me. Even I can file maintenance, all my dad has to do is to quit his job and spite us all, then wait for 5 years until the Parental Support Act kicks in and start leeching money from me again.

================================================== ==========================================

I have three options :

1. Commit suicide

2. Commit homicide

3. Continue looking for options (the most feasible and realistic ones are already crossed off)

Which one should I choose (for 3, please indicate a valid solution)?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-04-22 at 08:28.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 07:46   Link #3643
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Knowing you, i am surprised and really feel sorry for the situation that you are in, SaintessHeart.

Don't have much recommendation because i don't know well your situation. But from my own experience, i think you should create a mind map (of your current situation) to see if there is any option that you missed (including anyone whom you can depend on). Then assuming that you only have 7 days to live before deciding your action.

But seriously, instead of suicide or homicide, wouldn't it be better for you to collect all of your valuable item, quickly turning them to cash, and restart your life somewhere else? It may sound terrible, but changes always are for better or for worse. And the first two are worst already
Old 2010-04-22, 07:59   Link #3644
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
But seriously, instead of suicide or homicide, wouldn't it be better for you to collect all of your valuable item, quickly turning them to cash, and restart your life somewhere else? It may sound terrible, but changes always are for better or for worse. And the first two are worst already
You know, all my valuables went into the pawnshop and was turned into SURVIVAL FUNDS for the past 2 months after I left the army.

Unless I sell my ass, I have no other valuable item to sell (my computer is a NECESSITY, not a VALUABLE ITEM).

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-22, 10:21   Link #3645
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You know, all my valuables went into the pawnshop and was turned into SURVIVAL FUNDS for the past 2 months after I left the army.

Unless I sell my ass, I have no other valuable item to sell (my computer is a NECESSITY, not a VALUABLE ITEM).
I don't know how well can you support yourself now, or what exactly is that Parental Support Act.
But if you adopt a child (or having one, a girl perhaps), then can you keep your money to fund your kid future? Or that Parental Support Act would still allow your father to leech your money off?
Maybe not now, but in 5 years time when he quit his job

PS: I don't even knows if it can help you that way, but i'm trying to let you re-focusing your mindset here, so that hopefully some new options can be opened up.
Old 2010-04-22, 13:01   Link #3646
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
PS: I don't even knows if it can help you that way, but i'm trying to let you re-focusing your mindset here, so that hopefully some new options can be opened up.
Run away and adopt yourself.
Change identity and move to another city.
Move to another country.
Old 2010-04-22, 22:20   Link #3647
FateAnomaly

I don't know about the law much but i think the law is not that unflexible. If your parents apply for maintenance, you can tell them the situation. Maybe you still have to pay but the amount of maintenance could be reduced to only a token sum.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 02:31   Link #3648
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I don't have alot of legal help. Neither are my parents helping me. Even I can file maintenance, all my dad has to do is to quit his job and spite us all, then wait for 5 years until the Parental Support Act kicks in and start leeching money from me again.
The Maintenance of Parents Act does not work that way. Specifically, the Maintenance of Parents Tribunal must first be satisfied that:
  • The respondent (the child) is able to provide maintenance to the applicant (the parent) after his own requirements and those of his spouse and his children have been supplied
  • The applicant is unable, in spite of efforts on his part, to maintain himself through work or from his property or from any other source.
Meaning to say, no maintenance will be automatically granted to irresponsible parents. The onus for proving irresponsibility, though, will fall on the adult child being sued for maintenance. In any case, since you can barely even support yourself, the Tribunal is not in a position to beggar you further just to support your parent.

If not, it would be an abuse of the law. It's meant to protect parents — not to give freeloaders a meal ticket.

As for your circumstances, my sympathies. In the light of the situation you described, I don't think you'll get fruitful answers here. There are probably a great deal of other details that you have not revealed, details that are understandably very private and best not discussed online with an anonymous online community.

Furthermore, not knowing you in person, any advice I could give would come across as a pat answer, and very unlikely to be helpful. I also risk pre-judging the different parties involved — again, not very helpful.

For a start, though, I would suggest approaching the Workforce Development Agency for help over the terms and conditions of your job-training bond. Seems to me that your first priority should be to protect your rice bowl.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 06:07   Link #3649
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The Maintenance of Parents Act does not work that way. Specifically, the Maintenance of Parents Tribunal must first be satisfied that:
  • The respondent (the child) is able to provide maintenance to the applicant (the parent) after his own requirements and those of his spouse and his children have been supplied
  • The applicant is unable, in spite of efforts on his part, to maintain himself through work or from his property or from any other source.
Meaning to say, no maintenance will be automatically granted to irresponsible parents. The onus for proving irresponsibility, though, will fall on the adult child being sued for maintenance. In any case, since you can barely even support yourself, the Tribunal is not in a position to beggar you further just to support your parent.

If not, it would be an abuse of the law. It's meant to protect parents — not to give freeloaders a meal ticket.

As for your circumstances, my sympathies. In the light of the situation you described, I don't think you'll get fruitful answers here. There are probably a great deal of other details that you have not revealed, details that are understandably very private and best not discussed online with an anonymous online community.

Furthermore, not knowing you in person, any advice I could give would come across as a pat answer, and very unlikely to be helpful. I also risk pre-judging the different parties involved — again, not very helpful.

For a start, though, I would suggest approaching the Workforce Development Agency for help over the terms and conditions of your job-training bond. Seems to me that your first priority should be to protect your rice bowl.
I went to a legal clinic for advice, and what I was told is the onus for proving irresponsibility is almost the same as proving that my father is unfaithful : quite an impossibility unless strap him to a slanted table and pour water down his nose.

Regarding the WDA, I have thought through that but I doubt I have the time to make a F2F interview. The other options I have considered in the past is to peddle drugs or be a loanshark runner, but I wasn't as desperate as I am now so I ditched them. Wished I had take them up and saved money back then when it is still available - having a conscience kinda sucks.

Looks like this hell week is going to repeat itself for the next 104 cycles until I graduate. And I guess this is what Santa meant by those who don't work don't deserve to eat.

P.S I have been a hikkikomori for 2 months and a shut-in otaku (the less social and more extreme type of otaku) since 16. Hopefully my sanity outlasts this shit, but the "I have been through this for 2 years, so what is another 2?" self-motivation technique is getting old.

Old 2010-04-23, 06:52   Link #3650
FateAnomaly

Quote:

The other options I have considered in the past is to peddle drugs or be a loanshark runner, but I wasn't as desperate as I am now so I ditched them.
If you had taken them up you would be sitting in jail now.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 09:11   Link #3651
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
I went to a legal clinic for advice, and what I was told is the onus for proving irresponsibility is almost the same as proving that my father is unfaithful : quite an impossibility unless strap him to a slanted table and pour water down his nose.
Unfaithful to whom? Presumably to your mother? You already said your father is having an extra-marital affair. Plus, you can barely make ends meet, so how is the Tribunal supposed to make you pay for your father's upkeep?

And let's not forget, the parent has to be at least 60 or above. So, unless your father is already at that age, I'd say he is the least of your problems at the moment.

Quote:
Regarding the WDA, I have thought through that but I doubt I have the time to make a F2F interview. The other options I have considered in the past is to peddle drugs or be a loanshark runner, but I wasn't as desperate as I am now so I ditched them. Wished I had take them up and saved money back then when it is still available - having a conscience kinda sucks.
This is where it's hard to decide how seriously I should take your problems — you clearly know that being a runner for drugs or loan-sharking syndicates is out of the question. If you really did believe they were valid options, you wouldn't be talking about them in public.

And why don't you have time to make a face-to-face interview with WDA? Can't you make time when your livelihood depends on it?

While its commendable that you're trying to continue education while working at the same time, if you can't balance the two, you have to sacrifice one or the other. Hence, I strongly suggest you do whatever you can to save your job first.

MeoTwister5 (below): Don't know what you mean by "emancipation laws" in this context. You'd have to elaborate.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 09:13   Link #3652
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

They don't have emancipation laws and rights in Singapore?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-23, 13:47   Link #3653
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
They don't have emancipation laws and rights in Singapore?
Legal rights are decided on a case-by-case basis. And nope, not for emancipation if you meant by me totally cut off relations with my parents.

Old 2010-04-24, 06:15   Link #3654
Cipher

Why is Aria, a shounen? or any other female protagonist shounen anime for that matter. Does it make sense that the gender of the main character is the opposite of the supposed audience of the show?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 08:59   Link #3655
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Does it make sense that the gender of the main character is the opposite of the supposed audience of the show?
Yes. It does.
Old 2010-04-24, 11:56   Link #3656
Kudryavka

Quote:
Why is Aria, a shounen? or any other female protagonist shounen anime for that matter. Does it make sense that the gender of the main character is the opposite of the supposed audience of the show?
Notice how in Aria, the girls are all pretty and cute. Shounen doesn't mean it about action; it can also be about cute girls, perhaps with exxagerated features.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 00:54   Link #3657
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

"Shounen" means - it was published by a publisher house that labels itself "shounen". That is ALL it means. It has *nothing* to do with the content other than some publisher thinks a certain demographic might be interested in reading it. Publishers of "shounen" or "sienen" or whatever will also pick up anything that they think will be a hit whether or not if fits completely in their demographic targets.

This seems to be a common misunderstanding among young or new western anime fans who aren't familiar with the culture and businesses behind the stuff they're reading.
Old 2010-04-25, 02:02   Link #3658
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
"Shounen" means - it was published by a publisher house that labels itself "shounen". That is ALL it means. It has *nothing* to do with the content other than some publisher thinks a certain demographic might be interested in reading it. Publishers of "shounen" or "sienen" or whatever will also pick up anything that they think will be a hit whether or not if fits completely in their demographic targets.
I don't understand what you're saying here. Are "publisher house"'s divided by shounen, seinen etc, and whatever they "pick up" will also be labeled similar to the house?

Or are you saying a publisher can determine the "type" of the work based on his judgment?

What is "shounen's" use then?
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 07:43   Link #3659
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
If a manga is posted in a Shōnen mag then its Shōnen. The term basically says: "material is marketed to a male audience" (literally).
Old 2010-04-25, 12:15   Link #3660
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I don't understand what you're saying here. Are "publisher house"'s divided by shounen, seinen etc, and whatever they "pick up" will also be labeled similar to the house?

Or are you saying a publisher can determine the "type" of the work based on his judgment?

What felix said... its as simple as that. All the posturing I see in "young anime fan debates" is fundamentally BS because they mistakenly think the label defines the material rather than simply delineating the marketing focus of the publisher.

Naruto is "shounen" and so is Love Hina and so is Kamichu! Ergo, worthless as an explanatory label in defining taste.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-04-25 at 22:49.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious