AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-30, 04:50   Link #21
Belmondo

About people finding Kaoru's arc boring and less fun than the first, I think that just lies in its being more down-to-earth and serious, and dare I say more substantive. With such high contrast between them, the qualities of her arc will rub off different people in different ways. Where I usually lurk people started jumping ship with the serious business drama episode. But I thoroughly enjoyed it and appreciated it for what it leads them to. Except for Miya and friends wasting airtime.

Spoiler for Spoilering so the post isn't long.:

Last edited by Belmondo; 2010-08-30 at 05:02.
Old 2010-09-19, 11:00   Link #22
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Well, I think Sae's arc failed more because of the story. Haruka's was the best in my opinion.

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2010-09-19 at 18:07. Reason: Android typo fixes.
Old 2010-09-19, 12:04   Link #23
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Haruka: Junichi being a kiss-up puppy
Kaoru: This one is pretty decent for Junichi
Sae: Junichi... The "somewhat" perverted sensei...

Either way Junichi wants to be perverted in a way by these comparisons.
Old 2010-09-20, 05:14   Link #24
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

He did behave the best in Kaoru's arc, IMHO...

Old 2010-09-20, 05:23   Link #25
pikachuwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
About people finding Kaoru's arc boring and less fun than the first, I think that just lies in its being more down-to-earth and serious, and dare I say more substantive. With such high contrast between them, the qualities of her arc will rub off different people in different ways. Where I usually lurk people started jumping ship with the serious business drama episode. But I thoroughly enjoyed it and appreciated it for what it leads them to. Except for Miya and friends wasting airtime.

Spoiler for Spoilering so the post isn't long.:
i dunno... i prefer haruka's arc BECAUSE it is less serious

kaoru and sae's arc imo try too hard to be serious and deep and romantic blah blah (cant find the right words)

haruka's is more light-hearted and FUN! I dont know about u guys but i prefer a fun and happy romance to the more serious ones

i mean its so grating (especially sae's arc) when both characters just blush and sit there and try to say something and blush more.

i dont particularly like the big confession scenes where both characters blush and confess about how much they love each other and want to be with each other for eternity while just standing there (even haruka's one, but then again she was doing it wearing only a towel, so some bonus points). its really a pity the other two arcs didnt get an amazing finisher like haruka's since it makes it feel so open ended. (if all the other arcs dont have a big time skip like haruka's my theory will be that soon after junichi goes with the other girls they split up in time for him to get together with haruka so the 10 year later scene fits. therefore haruka's ending is the TRUE canon ending for all paths!!!11!!)

happy love > sappy love :x
Old 2010-09-20, 06:54   Link #26
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I believe that's the first time I read someone referring to Sae's arc as something even close to serious...

Old 2010-09-20, 10:46   Link #27
scarlet512
カレン愛してるよ

Didn't like Sae's arc. Not really my type of romance. I quite enjoyed the developments in Kaoru's and as for Haruka, I thought the story was quite interesting.
Old 2010-09-21, 00:38   Link #28
pikachuwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I believe that's the first time I read someone referring to Sae's arc as something even close to serious...
cant really find the words.... *english failing*

just... not as... happy? :x
Old 2010-09-21, 10:54   Link #29
coderlan
Student

Haruka's arc is by far the best for me. Kaoru and Sae's arc left me into a disappointment.
Old 2010-09-22, 05:09   Link #30
grandchaosSR
Servant of the Void

Haruka>Kaoru>Sae

Haruka - Started slow at first which is understandable since the anime needs an "introductory" episode. The episode 1 and 2 is subtle but episode 3 and 4 became fast paced with lots of funny moments. The kiss on the back of the knee will forever be an anime classic. Junichi's version here is the best. The ending has a perfect conclusion for the couple.

Kaoru - Her arc started great but by the 3rd episode it lost the momentum. I think they should've eliminated some scenes in the arc like the 2 kids scene. It doesn't really add to the story and it would have been better if they go directly to Kaoru's family issues. The ending is somewhat average.

Sae - Episode 3 is IMO the worst episode in the series yet. The "going to the hero show" is almost a ripoff of Bamboo Blade episode 20 but without the awesome Red Braver. Sae's sentai obsession wasn't even foreshadowed. The producers should've chosen a much better scene. Anyway her arc is moe-riffic. I find the narrator funny but somewhat intrusive at times. The best couple contest should've given more preparation and emphasis. Miya and Haruka scenes saved this arc.
Old 2010-09-22, 06:54   Link #31
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Finally the Nanasaki arc next episode^^
Old 2010-09-22, 07:47   Link #32
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty543 View Post
Finally the Nanasaki arc next episode^^
Indeed. Tomorrow night is when we'll get a good grasp of her character and if it follows what the manga did. I will be very surprised and dissappointed if Ai's arc doesn't beat at least two out of the three arcs in terms of story. It has the potential to, but I'm still kind of nervous
Old 2010-09-22, 09:59   Link #33
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

I hope to god they hve that park scene with the mad dog, Ai was so cute then
Old 2010-09-22, 17:19   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

My thoughts aren't too different.
Kaoru's story seemed to be the best grounded (least fantastically odd) though it lost some power in the 3rd part. OTOH, it seem to cherish the subtle moments quite nicely... a real feeling of comfort between the two (and this version of Junichi was relatively not-an-idiot).

Haruka's story was pretty steady and included the epilogue ... so it seems to have been the most solid so far overall.

Sae's story was just, argh, in better hands it might have been not so stupid in so many places. For every "dollar" moment, there were a couple of "you've got to be kidding" in-a-bad-way scens. The couple contest was amusing though, lots of high-dollar Sae imagery in the 4th part. The director meeting in the washroom just seemed bizarre (points for having someone voice it who could actually speak english)... and I suppose it figures that they'd be doing something pretty goofy at the end, mostly so we could watch Miya go nyan-meow o.O So we're left we Sae who is searingly cute but her story needs an overhaul.

Upcoming Ai's story (another "senpai" situation) has some potential, but I'm reducing my expectations.

I don't particularly have a "favorite" ... They're all charming so far. But if you asked me which arc I simply enjoyed the most so far, it'd be Kaoru and her arc. The mix of character humor, drama, and grounded behavior just appealed to me more.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-09-22 at 21:10.
Old 2010-09-29, 13:13   Link #35
justavisitor

finally watched all 3 arcs...

I like them all, really. Kaoru's arc is a bit boring imo tho...Sae's arc is actually pretty good, but the arc should end at the christmas tree's scene...I don't like those goofy costume at the end...about Haruka's arc...sometimes I feel that the main hero is dating the alien due to her weird personality (acting like being kidnapped in a school cafe is just...)

(Oh great, I successfully provoked everyone here )

All three arcs have good and not so good elements in it. I like them all, but if I have to rate, it will be Haruka's arc>=Sae's arc>Kaoru's arc
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-09-30, 00:44   Link #36
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Haruka's arc, for me, is the best.
I was never bored in that arc (that "kidnapped" roleplay was just so weird...it was funny). I especially loved their chemistry and I liked how Junichi was in these episodes, straightforward but knows when not to push it. XD
Also, this arc was the most solid one with the most satisfying epilogue.

For Kaoru's arc, it was okay and decent, but I wasn't really that absorbed into the story. I am also not a big fan of "friends transitioning into something more" kind of thing.

Then there's Sae's arc, which was enjoyable but not something I could take seriously.

Overall, so far:

Haruka
Sae
Kaoru
Old 2010-09-30, 03:31   Link #37
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Haruka's arc, for me, is the best.
I was never bored in that arc (that "kidnapped" roleplay was just so weird...it was funny). I especially loved their chemistry and I liked how Junichi was in these episodes, straightforward but knows when not to push it. XD
Also, this arc was the most solid one with the most satisfying epilogue.
Can totally agree with everything here raile. Plus i really enjoyed the approach the team had with Haruka's arc, and it's a shame that spirit just hasn't been present in the other arcs.

Are you watching Ai's arc now? Or waiting for it to finish?
Old 2010-09-30, 09:49   Link #38
justavisitor

@raile

we finally agree on something (The rating for each arc )
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2010-09-30, 10:56   Link #39
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Can totally agree with everything here raile. Plus i really enjoyed the approach the team had with Haruka's arc, and it's a shame that spirit just hasn't been present in the other arcs.

Are you watching Ai's arc now? Or waiting for it to finish?
I'm gonna watch Ai arc when it's all completed. That way, I won't be left hanging. 8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
@raile

we finally agree on something (The rating for each arc )
Well, it's nice to get out of the Macross fandom once in a while.
Old 2010-10-01, 03:42   Link #40
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
I'm gonna watch Ai arc when it's all completed. That way, I won't be left hanging. 8D
That's a good idea then, especially seeing as though no episode airs this week.