AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-12-12, 13:32   Link #61
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
No, they mean the same thing they say when a male actor needs to bulk up. She's playing an Amazon, and as per Sheldon, "Amazons tend to be very beefy gals."
The only thing "beefy" about Wonder Woman in the comics is her tall stature...and that's not really "beefy" at all (btw, Amazons are not "beefy", I'm unclear who came up with this notion - they are tall physically fit women with bodies similar in proportion to Marathon runners are Decathlon participants, neither of which are "beefy"). Otherwise she is fairly lithe with the only real musculature found in her arms, shoulders and thighs (and even that isn't to far beyond what a tall woman who takes care of themselves can accomplish). And, if you go back to Wonder Woman's roots and Marston's designs, Wonder Woman looks like a "typical" athletic woman, no more and no less. Gadot can easily attain such a body.

(Hell, when you get right down to it, the only difference between Lynda Carter (generally considered to be a good interpretation of Wonder Woman) and Gal Gadot is breast size. Otherwise they have very similar measurements (though their body shapes are different).)

In the end, though, Wonder Woman's power does not come from her musculature, it comes from myth and fantasy. Consequently, how bulked up Gadot is, is kind of pointless. The only ability Gadot needs to pull off Wonder Woman is confidence, because Wonder Woman is more than just her muscles, she is a presence.

btw, Who's Sheldon?

edit: I would love to see a Wonder Woman that looks like this, but it's not going to happen, not in comics and not in the movies. So, let's focus less on appearance, and more on presence.

Last edited by james0246; 2013-12-12 at 13:49.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-12, 14:01   Link #62
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
btw, Who's Sheldon?
Big Bang Theory

Quote:
edit: I would love to see a Wonder Woman that looks like this, but it's not going to happen, not in comics and not in the movies. So, let's focus less on appearance, and more on presence.
Now that's what I'd call an Amazon. Good find.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-12, 14:45   Link #63
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

While we're at it:

Old 2013-12-18, 19:19   Link #64
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

WB wants Joaquin Phoenix for the role of Lex Luthor.
Old 2013-12-18, 23:19   Link #65
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
While we're at it:

Rashack from Watchmen should pop in at the end and say "Thats cute!"
Old 2014-01-17, 23:24   Link #66
saya_leviathan

‘Superman-Batman’ Pushed to May 6, 2016
Quote:
Warner Bros. has pushed production on the untitled “Superman-Batman” movie to the second quarter of this year and it will now be released on May 6, 2016.

The Peter Pan origin story “Pan” is being put in its place on July 17, 2015. “Superman-Batman” will now square off against a Marvel film which Marvel has still not announced.

The film is still in pre-production with Henry Cavill set to star alongside Affleck, and Zack Snyder is on to helm.

In a statement, Warners said the decision was made to “help fully realize the vision.” Warners is still casting the film including the main villain role which sources tell Variety is still in Joaquin Phoenix’s court.

This marks another film to leave what was turning out to be a very crowded 2015 summer, with “Pirates of the Caribbean 5″ and the new “Star Wars” also moving out of the frame.

One continuing moving part is what this means for Affleck and his always busy schedule. Affleck was planning on directing “Live by Night” following production on “Superman-Batman,” with Warners already dating “Night” for Dec. 25, 2015.

It now seems unlikely that Affleck would be able to jump into the director’s chair before the end of 2014, which would put pressure on getting the film done on time in order to meet WB’s deadline.

‘Batman-Superman” will also reunite “Man of Steel” stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane, and also stars Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince.

The screenplay will be written by David S. Goyer, from a story co-created by Goyer and Snyder. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan and Wesley Coller serving as executive producers.
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-18, 00:26   Link #67
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Figured as much. Not counting all the preparations needed, there's just too much competition in summer 2015. It would be too big a financial risk for WB.
Old 2014-01-18, 20:43   Link #68
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

>too much competition

lol. That is not why they're moving it. Batman vs. Superman IS the competition. There was no other movie coming out that summer as big as it other than AOU which was going to come out two months prior to it.
Old 2014-01-18, 20:51   Link #69
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^You’re saying that WB is not the least bit worried of the astronomically-hyped Avengers 2 taking their supposed money from the audience? Add to that BvS is the only superhero movie WB will release in a year, so competing with a less-hyped MCU movie in 2016 is a smart move imo.

And like I said before, competition is not the only concern, there’s a whole lot of things to prepare for a movie of this scale.
Old 2014-01-18, 22:04   Link #70
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
^You’re saying that WB is not the least bit worried of the astronomically-hyped Avengers 2 taking their supposed money from the audience?
You do realize Avengers 2 was coming out TWO MONTHS before this movie right? >.>

Quote:
Add to that BvS is the only superhero movie WB will release in a year, so competing with a less-hyped MCU movie in 2016 is a smart move imo.
Even if they were going to be competing with Marvel, which they weren't unless you count Ant-Man which itself was coming out 3 weeks after this movie, there is literally no property Marvel has that is as popular as Batman+Superman. That movie was going to gross as much if not more than Avengers 2 where it was dated.

Quote:
And like I said before, competition is not the only concern, there’s a whole lot of things to prepare for a movie of this scale.
Not the point. There was literally no competition for this movie whatsoever. It was the "competition".
Old 2014-01-18, 22:18   Link #71
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
You do realize Avengers 2 was coming out TWO MONTHS before this movie right? >.>

Even if they were going to be competing with Marvel, which they weren't unless you count Ant-Man which itself was coming out 3 weeks after this movie, there is literally no property Marvel has that is as popular as Batman+Superman. That movie was going to gross as much if not more than Avengers 2 where it was dated.
Yeah, and during those two months of Avengers 2 hoopla and "aftertaste", there’s a chance that some audience will had enough with superheroes that year, especially those who don’t like Man of Steel and Zack Snyder's take on it. Seeing how dividing Man of Steel was compared to the mostly-welcomed Avengers 1, it's really no wonder that the odds is stacking against WB if they were to release that year. On the other hand, some audience will still check Ant-Man out coz it's from the same universe as Avengers.

Anyway, like I said, competition is not the only one reason they moved the sked. Heck, it might not even the main reason they moved it which I'm aware of.
Old 2014-01-18, 22:31   Link #72
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

okay, I can see you don't know how the boxoffice works.
Old 2014-01-18, 22:39   Link #73
GDB

Quote:
That movie was going to gross as much if not more than Avengers 2 where it was dated.
I find that very hard to believe. Man of Steel didn't even beat Amazing Spider-Man.

Quote:
Sounds more like you're bringing your own personal bias into it. What he's saying is perfectly right. Two months isn't that big of a difference. While it isn't as much of a competition as same weekend, or same month would be, it's still within the same window. Going to the movies isn't something most people do that often, and for those who can only go see one movie a season, this would have been competing with Avengers.

That said, they clearly moved it because they finally took their heads out of their asses and realized they were rushing way too much. I remember mocking them when the release date first came out because of how fast it was when they hadn't even started working on it yet.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-18, 22:41   Link #74
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Tell that to White House Down (released on June 28) which failed the box-office cause the audience already had enough of similar action previously featured on Olympus Has Fallen (released earlier on March 22). I'm not saying it will 100% happen to Avengers 2 vs BvS, but the possibilities of audience being bored of the same thing is still there even just a little.

Also, looking down on people won't help your argument.

Quote:
That said, they clearly moved it because they finally took their heads out of their asses and realized they were rushing way too much. I remember mocking them when the release date first came out because of how fast it was when they hadn't even started working on it yet.
You're right. I also remember mocking the release date of Jurassic World for the same reason. And guess what, they pushed the date too .
Old 2014-01-18, 22:44   Link #75
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Yep, I agree my suspicion is that they moved the release date for the practical reason that they can't finish on time. I mean they clearly barely started if Lex Luther had only just been finalised.
Old 2014-01-20, 08:55   Link #76
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
>too much competition

lol. That is not why they're moving it. Batman vs. Superman IS the competition. There was no other movie coming out that summer as big as it other than AOU which was going to come out two months prior to it.
A sequel Star Wars movie is potentially coming out in 2015. And the last one, Revenge of the Sith, had a domestic gross 50% greater than Man of Steel when it first came out. So you can't really just say "LOL, Sups/Bats ain't afraid of competition!"

Quote:
Yeah? And do you think EVERY person who sees Avengers 2 a month or so prior to Bats/Sups is going to be immediately in the mood for ANOTHER giganto super hero movie?

Considering that they're already pulling allot of risk trying to make a crossover movie without the proper crossover setup movies prior to it (no, the Dark Knight Trilogy and Man of Steel were not really proper setups to a crossover), these aren't exactly the Margins WB should be trying to skirt.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 11:02   Link #77
james0246

I dispute the notion that the competition between the two films would have so negatively affected Superman 2 as to create ruin, but I do agree that there was probable $50-100 million at risk. Mostly, I see this as a continued failure on DC's/WB's part to actually produce a rival franchise to Marvel's/Disney's series. Yet again, Marvel/Disney has left DC/WB in the dust, in fact it seems like DC/WB is actively retreating just to stay viable. Additionally, the constant rumors of script writing and producing problems, Affleck's injury, no one seemingly understanding what they want to do with the franchise, etc all make for negative, or at least unnecessary, press. It doesn't help that DC is then trying to shoe horn in on a new release date that is direct competition with a "lesser" Marvel film, especially considering that June and July are the WBs strongest months.

Personally, this has actually detracted from my desire to continue with the franchise. WB should have helped to sooth worries by announcing a Wonder Woman movie scheduled for October of 2015. Now that would have made me excited once again....

edit: Or, just go for broke and make the sequel the first Justice League film, that would silence most protest.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 18:28   Link #78
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Star Wars VII is scheduled for a December 2015 release last I checked. (December 18, 2015)

No word yet on the other Star Wars films they are going to be working on (the Boba Fett film and the Han Solo film for instance). It is assumed this will either be filler films for between Episodes VII and VIII and VIII and IX, or they will be post-IX films to keep Star Wars relevent.

Star Wars: Rebels also takes off this year as a semi-sequel to the Clone Wars series. So a cartoon version also challenges any DC series that might be airing.
Old 2014-01-20, 18:34   Link #79
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
I find that very hard to believe. Man of Steel didn't even beat Amazing Spider-Man.
And I'm pretty sure Man of Steel was not a Batman/Superman team up movie with a bunch of other DC characters sprinkled in. Not to mention had it not been for poor reviews denting the hype MoS probably would have grossed more than it did.

Quote:
Sounds more like you're bringing your own personal bias into it. What he's saying is perfectly right. Two months isn't that big of a difference. While it isn't as much of a competition as same weekend, or same month would be, it's still within the same window. Going to the movies isn't something most people do that often, and for those who can only go see one movie a season, this would have been competing with Avengers.

My own personal bias?? lol. I'm a Marvel fan first and foremost, that doesn't mean I disregard how big a phenomenon a Batman/Superman team up movie will be.

And no, it would not have been competing with the Avengers, at all. It would have been competing with Terminator Genesis and Ant-Man AT BEST. By the time BvS would have come out in the middle of July AOU would have been playing on a couple hundred screens and bringing in a few hundred thousand dollars, it would not have been competing directly with Avengers 2 whatsoever. And "superhero fatigue" is a boogieman every year and proves wrong every year. People will not get fatigued from one (or two if Fox actually gets Fantastic Four off the ground this decade) superhero movie, especially if they're actually good. If anything, the storyline of Avengers 2 vs. Batman vs. Superman for that summer would have dominated headlines and popculture conscious and benefitted both movies.

Finally, I believe you're incorrect about them not having worked on it yet and rushing. They stated they already had in mind where they would go after Man of Steel and contacted Ben Affleck about Batman before Man of Steel had even come out. They stated they had a script in the works at comic-con a year out from when filming would have started, which is not uncommon for sequels. Amy Adams even said the other week that she had received her script and it was finished. They had begun casting all the major new additional roles for the film, and according to the press release they still plan on shooting the film near the beginning this year, just pushed back about 6-8 weeks. This delay seems like it's more about work they will have to do in post-production than problems they're having getting production off the ground due to rushing, which is implied with the language they used concerning "time to realize fully their vision, given the complex visual nature of the story". "Visual nature" implies to me issues they're having on how to do certain set pieces, practically or through CGI. Additionally, if the rumors about them wanting to shoot Justice League back-to-back with this are true, and that decision was made recently, delaying production to get ready for that makes sense as well.

There, thought out post. Hope you're happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Tell that to White House Down (released on June 28) which failed the box-office cause the audience already had enough of similar action previously featured on Olympus Has Fallen (released earlier on March 22). I'm not saying it will 100% happen to Avengers 2 vs BvS, but the possibilities of audience being bored of the same thing is still there even just a little.

Also, looking down on people won't help your argument.

You're right. I also remember mocking the release date of Jurassic World for the same reason. And guess what, they pushed the date too .
.....so now Avengers and Batman vs. Superman are using the same plot with similar premises just because they involve superheroes?

Poor logic and poor example. Superhero movies do not work like that. Not to both those movies were new IPs while Avengers and BvS have established history, established franchises, and obviously established fanbases and people clearly understand the difference between the two properties and won't see them as redundant just because they both involve capes (...especially since Marvel superheroes are very different and more grounded than DC superheroes in the first place). This is a completely different situation from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
A sequel Star Wars movie is potentially coming out in 2015. And the last one, Revenge of the Sith, had a domestic gross 50% greater than Man of Steel when it first came out. So you can't really just say "LOL, Sups/Bats ain't afraid of competition!"
Star Wars VII is scheduled for release in December 2015. BvS was slated for July 2015. Clearly they were on track to competing though. >.>

I assume you didn't know SWVII was dated now? They announced it back in November iirc.

Quote:
Yeah? And do you think EVERY person who sees Avengers 2 a month or so prior to Bats/Sups is going to be immediately in the mood for ANOTHER giganto super hero movie?
....you're speaking in hyperbole. Is EVERYONE who went to see Avengers 2 going to go see BvS? No. But the opposite is also true. I think what you and the other two are not understanding is that just because they're both superhero movies does not mean audiences will automatically connect them as being about the same shit. They will be marketed differently, they will clearly have different story elements, and hell, they may be different genres altogether (and no, "superhero genre" does not count). Above all else, people know the difference between Batman and Superman and the Avengers, and the rivalry storyline between DC and Marvel would have helped both of those movies, given the distance between them was large enough to where neither would affect the other's cash flow.

Saying people will not want to see a second big superhero movie is basically the same thing as saying people will not want to see another big blockbuster movie altogether after Avengers, it doesn't work like that. And if you need concrete evidence, just look at 2012 where TDKR and Avengers came out within nearly the same space Avengers 2 and BvS would have been coming out from each other. Avengers made $1.5b while TDKR made $1.08b, and if not for that theatre shooting it would have made even more than that. Superhero movie fatigue, especially between properties as big as these two, is unfounded, because people understand the difference and they have different story elements altogether. They're not the exact same movie like White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen were.

Quote:
Considering that they're already pulling allot of risk trying to make a crossover movie without the proper crossover setup movies prior to it (no, the Dark Knight Trilogy and Man of Steel were not really proper setups to a crossover), these aren't exactly the Margins WB should be trying to skirt.
They don't need a set up Batman movie to do a Batman vs. Superman movie because Batman does not need another origin story. People know who Batman is now, and you have to be living under a rock, a third world country, or just don't give a fuck altogether not to know who Bruce Wayne is and what his backstory is by now. They're using that to their advantage to go straight into Batman vs. Superman; the fact people are already intimately familiar with the character allows them to do stuff like this in a way Marvel could not, because outside the Hulk and ARGUABLY Captain America, the general population did not know who Iron Man or Thor were.

Last edited by Suzuku; 2014-01-20 at 18:44.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-20, 18:57   Link #80
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Additionally, the constant rumors of script writing and producing problems, Affleck's injury, no one seemingly understanding what they want to do with the franchise, etc all make for negative, or at least unnecessary, press.
Really. Did DC/WB even have any serious/concrete plans for a Justice League movie until Avengers made like 1.5 billion dollars?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems this whole Batman/Superman movie is a very reactive move on their part.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote