>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-15, 18:02   Link #2402
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
How come some websites just take ages to load, there is this one site I started visiting in Amsterdam and it would load perfectly without any lagging but now I am at home (like other side of this small country), no difference in connection speed but the site lags like a donkey that just won't budge, it takes forever to load the pictures on it
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 01:43   Link #2403
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Depending on where you are accesing it from the site will pass though different networks. Thus, speed is useless if the network is crowded/insecure/flooded or just plain crappy and slow.
Old 2009-01-16, 05:45   Link #2404
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Depending on where you are accesing it from the site will pass though different networks. Thus, speed is useless if the network is crowded/insecure/flooded or just plain crappy and slow.
thing is it isn't, no one else is on and I'm not downloading anything while accessing it and also the connection speed here is very VERY good that's why I'm so confussed
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 06:02   Link #2405
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I am not talking about the specific network you are in but the intermidiate networks the packet from that site will go though until it reaches you. Your speed in the end is just the hardware limitation or otherwise the limitation inposed by your ISP rather then a guaranteed thing.

You could open up a command prompt (WinKey+R then type cmd) and type ping www.whatever.that.site.is.called.com that should give you a idea why it is so slow. Oh, I do not exclude there being a completly different explanation for your trouble, my opinion is just a guess...
Old 2009-01-16, 06:04   Link #2406
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
thing is it isn't, no one else is on and I'm not downloading anything while accessing it and also the connection speed here is very VERY good that's why I'm so confussed
It all depends on how the network is built. For example, I have broadband cable. Every area of my city is assigned a "hub". When requests are made to the ISP from my area, it directs a section of bandwidth to that hub. This bandwidth is split between everyone that is on the hub - the more people that are currently using the hub, the slower the connection everyone in that area will have.

In a way, it's kinda like traffic. During peak times (morning, lunch, and evening) traffic is congested and information is slower because more people are using the "lanes". In off peak times, the lanes are emptier and traffic is faster.

What you are doing on the network that is in your own home (assuming it is set up properly) isn't always the reason why your internet connection is slow. It can often be the case that many people in your area (as defined by who your local hub services, not by geographical location - these aren't always one and the same) are creating a "traffic jam" because they are also online and splitting the bandwidth that the ISP is sending to your area.
Old 2009-01-16, 14:34   Link #2407
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I am not talking about the specific network you are in but the intermidiate networks the packet from that site will go though until it reaches you. Your speed in the end is just the hardware limitation or otherwise the limitation inposed by your ISP rather then a guaranteed thing.

You could open up a command prompt (WinKey+R then type cmd) and type ping www.whatever.that.site.is.called.com that should give you a idea why it is so slow. Oh, I do not exclude there being a completly different explanation for your trouble, my opinion is just a guess...
The "tracert" command (or "traceroute" in *nix) will actually tell you how the 'pings' got to their destination for that particular probe and how long they took to reach each point. Its more informative than a simple ping, though you often also find out which relay points don't play nice ("******" request times out).

Example:
Quote:
>Tracert forums.animesuki.com
Tracing route to forums.animesuki.com [208.100.30.250] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 1056 ms 760 ms 699 ms host671420066135.direcway.com [67.142.135.66]
3 1246 ms 849 ms 669 ms host6714200162131.direcway.com [67.142.131.162]
4 628 ms 639 ms 889 ms host6714200153131.direcway.com [67.142.131.153]
5 967 ms 829 ms 829 ms host6714200142128.direcway.com [67.142.128.142]
6 786 ms 859 ms 679 ms ge-6-1-555.hsa1.LasVegas1.Level3.net [64.159.109.97]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 1115 ms 1259 ms 649 ms ae-0-0.bbr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [64.159.1.34]
9 956 ms 689 ms 869 ms ae-23-56.car3.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.68.101.167]
10 676 ms 909 ms 730 ms Steadfast-Networks.Car3.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.71.101.2]
11 1705 ms 1000 ms 819 ms ip17.208-100-32.static.steadfast.net [208.100.32.17]
12 1136 ms 659 ms 719 ms ip250.208-100-30.static.steadfast.net [208.100.30.250]

Trace complete.
It gives you least time, average time, worst time .... of course, you can also see from the example why a satellite ISP should be your last choice and only if its your only choice
Old 2009-01-16, 22:00   Link #2408
amjzz

Silly question time!

Why north americans hate bush?
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 22:15   Link #2409
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post
Silly question time!

Why north americans hate bush?
Take a charismatic but slow witted person from a less than bright region of a country, promote him to leader of said country surround him in a information bubble that keeps him from the real world then surround him with yes men.

Bush is not a idiot but like most of America he is a sheep goes along to get along until he finds a issue he can not get his head around. Mind you most modern societies are stable enough to force the common people into a day to day life style that ignores complicated issues as much as possible .But I am digressing here....

It comes down to what Bush and Chaney and their staff have done in their roles as leaders they lead us to a war that was unneeded(Iraq) and ignored the law of the land to estate rules and laws that work against the foundation of our rules and laws. They have mishandled a great many issues as well which just snow balls their approval rating .
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 22:32   Link #2410
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
How come some websites just take ages to load
I'll toss out another possibility. I use AdBlock Plus with Firefox which can sometimes delay loading while the browser has to deal with the blocked graphics and scripts. Perhaps the browser you use at home is configured differently than the one you were using in Amsterdam.

A related possibility might concern ISP caching policies. Some ISPs use web caching proxies that build a collection of frequently-download objects over time. When those objects are requested again, they're delivered from the cache, not downloaded again over the Internet. Perhaps the Amsterdam ISP uses caching but your home ISP does not.

The first place to start is, as Cats and Vexx suggest, running a traceroute in both places to see if there are some dodgy intermediate routers that aren't performing up to snuff. But if the browser configurations are different, you might take a look at that as well. If it's a proxying thing, you can't really control that. (Well, you could try to endrun the ISP's proxy by using an open proxy somewhere else on the Internet instead "for testing purposes.")
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 23:56   Link #2411
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I forgot about adverts.... sometimes an entire page can bog down and appear to not load simply because one advert server is slow in responding. When I spot an advert not to my liking or slow to load, I snap it with Adblock and the page speeds up after that.

People may not realize a "single web page" may be composed of data sent from a dozen different servers in widely disparate locations. That's why a perfectly legitimate web page may still have a virus-ridden active-script leap at you... from one of the ads which has slipped into the ad rotation from a server outside the control of the web page owner.

I'm fairly reasonable about adverts as long as they either are relevant to me or they don't interfere with the page. Anyone remember those ads on the main animesuki.com page that slid down and covered the entire page? One of the early members of my "block" list....
Old 2009-01-17, 01:06   Link #2412
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Where could i buy old OST's such as Ronnin Warriors OST ?
Old 2009-01-17, 01:19   Link #2413
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
Where could i buy old OST's such as Ronnin Warriors OST ?
Amazon is your friend.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 01:36   Link #2414
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Didn't want to use Amazon Japan
Old 2009-01-17, 01:57   Link #2415
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, then you're looking at yes-asia or nippon-export..... ebay maybe....

I've almost never seen any "domestic" record store online or real that had a decent anime OST collection (or one that cost less than just ordering it from Japan).
Old 2009-01-17, 05:35   Link #2416
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hmmm, then you're looking at yes-asia or nippon-export..... ebay maybe....

I've almost never seen any "domestic" record store online or real that had a decent anime OST collection (or one that cost less than just ordering it from Japan).
Neither have I. Though music CD are on the bottom of my list, I still like to view what each store has to sell.

Ronin Warrior, itself is a pretty old anime, thus even finding a store that sells the OST, it will already be hard >.<

It had some good music too ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 06:35   Link #2417
Solafighter
Hige

Does someone perhaps know one or more tools, to create own music?

A friend of mine asked me that and since here were all my questions answered perfectly, i ask here.

I just need the name(s).

Thanks a lot ahead.
Old 2009-01-17, 08:20   Link #2418
Shoko
Estelle x Yuri

Very silly but please answer this

what is cookies and what is that for ?

how to give it for someone ?
Shoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 08:23   Link #2419
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubaki_Nakatsukasa View Post

You mean on this forum? They probably are refering to reputation.
Click this icon below the member's avatar to give it.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-17, 13:31   Link #2420
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubaki_Nakatsukasa View Post

Following what Rike pointed out, the term comes from the fact reputation dots are round just as cookies are round; with the rest of the association being attributed to the deed itself (a thank you in a lot of cases). When someone sends out reputation the message contains them on the left, hence: "I'll send you a cookie"

Tags
problem, q&a, serious