AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 11 14.47%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 31.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 26.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 14.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.95%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.63%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.32%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.32%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.95%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-03-14, 08:01   Link #81
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

That's the problem. They reject that they were wrong. What can they do except complain about it? Pretty much nothing. Honestly, I wish there are people who do not think too much into the future and overanalyze or otherwise think too much about the next episode only to b*tch around when their predictions gone wrong.

And I hate tropes. Yes, they are funny to read when you got nothing to do, but when it becomes a reference by people to flame a specific aspect/character in a series, it is utterly wrong.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 08:08   Link #82
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
And I hate tropes. Yes, they are funny to read when you got nothing to do, but when it becomes a reference by people to flame a specific aspect/character in a series, it is utterly wrong.
Hey that's a little harsh. Sounds to me that you should be hating the people who use tropes the wrong way, rather than tropes themselves. After all, even Tvtropes recognises that:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ropesAreNotBad
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 08:09   Link #83
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

liked the episode, I don#t try to think in cliche categories anymore, makes me think i'm a freaking literature studies academic for manga/anime

anyway, I'm really looking forward to next ep, Saten with baseball bat? - priceless, she could use it to beat the coins out of a vending machine for Misaka then to go all out gatling-rail the crap out of dozens of power-suits that would so make my day
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 08:10   Link #84
tsunade666

6/10..... its good and bad. Hard for me to watch.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 08:24   Link #85
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Hey that's a little harsh. Sounds to me that you should be hating the people who use tropes the wrong way, rather than tropes themselves. After all, even Tvtropes recognises that:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ropesAreNotBad
The thing is, tropes are a sort of a forced classification on something that is not naturally classified and one "with a years worth of free time" can only make up. I think I'm just very very very not comfortable with that.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2010-03-14, 09:17   Link #86
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Can I say now that people are treating this episode badly despite having watched 23 out of 24 episodes of Railgun? And what is with the throwing "cliche" comments everywhere? I smell the application of the "damn if they do, damn if they don't" principle.

I'm not pointing this at anyone; I'm just pissed that people blatantly harass the episode only because e.g. Telestina is a psycho instead of a cunning antagonist, Uiharu's power is a disappointment, and Misaka Mikoto made a choice that "people see as wrong".
What's "damned if they do, damned if they don't" here? (except maybe Uiharu's power; that I can see) Why not just not make the cliche psycho-face bad guy, or Mikoto have come off as less high-horse? (but as I said, I agree that it's not her fault that she didn't know Tele-whatever was a bad guy since she's not an anime viewer watching a show called Railgun, so I wouldn't say she made the wrong choice at the time, just that she could have handled it better) Then there wouldn't be any "damned," because there wouldn't be any people calling it cliche or knocking on it. Thus it doesn't apply.
Old 2010-03-14, 09:27   Link #87
Minagi Mikoto

Well, I gave it 7/10. Many things has happened but it disappointed me in some ways.

It wasn't really a surprise that Telestina was a bad guy. But how did she transform from a cool-acting woman to a complete psycho?!

The ending was a bit cheesy. The rescue team looked so childish!

What really interested me for a bit was Mitsuko saving Mikoto. But I got disappointed again when they just skipped the scene (Poor Mitsuko! All she did get was a simple "thank you" after she asked it!).

Way to go, Saten Ruiko! This is what a true leader is!

And to my surprise, Telestina is the "first sample" herself! They can just use her DNA or anything to make the vaccine!
Minagi Mikoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 10:10   Link #88
tsunade666

telistina reminded me of beato that really pisses me off that why its kinda irritating more and more.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 11:15   Link #89
Minagi Mikoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
telistina reminded me of beato that really pisses me off that why its kinda irritating more and more.
Who's beato?
Minagi Mikoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 11:31   Link #90
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minagi Mikoto View Post
Who's beato?
Beato, Beatrice, the Golden Witch, the Endless Witch. Umineko no Naku Koro ni.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Telestina is evil?! No way...
Anyways, the very obvious bad guy finally reveals her true identity. It's Beatrice! Full of hilarious facial distortions and insanity!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
*cackle*cackle*cackle* Misaka Mikotoooooooo!!!!
Old 2010-03-14, 12:02   Link #91
Eater of All
NOM

"WE MUST SAVE THE CHILDREN!"

But really, I don't get what's so cliche about a batshit insane Telestina. Is it because it's everyday you see villains wearing purple mechs shooting with grenade launchers and still manage to make trollfaces on par with a thousand-year-old witch? The "I Googled her and OH SHIT SHE'S KIHARA'S DAUGHTER" part was a little lame I'll admit, but does it warrant such bashing? For that matter, I personally think the friendship card was played well this episode, and hardly felt cliche either. It was completely natural, since from episode 1 Railgun has been trying to emphasize its friendship theme. It's not like Mikoto wasn't asking for it with her tendency to do everything by herself. I'd be appalled if J.C. Staff had allowed her abandon her comrades and go solo against Beato Reborn, and then have the 4 girls magically reconcile for no reason.

Besides, I give Telestina credits for making ep23 one of the most hilarious Railgun eps to date. Maybe you guys should take this a little less seriously.

Last edited by Eater of All; 2010-03-14 at 12:13.
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 15:54   Link #92
Primary Consult

9/10, these +s really helped:
+kuroko slaps uiharu
+mikoto fight and fail
+mikoto directly being compaired to Kiyama
+kongo mitsuko does something (everyone plz stop spoiling her power, kthxbye)

Also, ++Saten bringing a bat to an esper battle...

Minuses:
-Mikoto considering her friends. Yes I put this as a minus. Considering she *has to* be a lone wolf for Sisters arc to make any sense (and also have the impact that makes it awesome), it was kindof cool to see her going off on her own, and I thought it was a good way to transition out from the ensemble cast.
-Telestina as psycho... seriously, someone who didn't blatantly show her cards the moment she had her "full house" (the kids) would have been a hell of a lot more respectable. Though I'm guessing with more knowledge of the rest of the family I'd feel differently, on her own it seems like a bad move straight off the "100 things never to do as an evil overlord" list.
Primary Consult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 19:57   Link #93
Dralha

10/10 HOT DAMN that was awesome.
Old 2010-03-14, 20:06   Link #94
Ghostfriendly

Seems like a lot of issues with this episode. Telestina's confrontation with stripper woman and Uihara was cool, her complete OTT personality switch, and indeed her background, not so much.

Uihara crying and Kuroko's interaction was quite good; rather than finding something new in herself, it seems like Uihara will just be more confident in who she was before. Satan making Mikoto take a step back was very well handled, using silence rather than words. The general plotting is rather basic, and the preveiw did end things on a very cliched note, but overall, this was a great character episode.

Why are people complaining about friendship in this show? Its rather the whole point.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 20:39   Link #95
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
Why are people complaining about friendship in this show? Its rather the whole point.
Probably because Mikoto in future events never seem to learn her lesson. Kuroko is right Mikoto and Harumi are quite alike in more ways than one.

Doc Frog does as much damage control of these mad scientists inhabiting the city as he can. Problem is his fellow city founder who actually has the power doesn't care for lives ruined so as long their actions help his overall goal.

Mikoto will have to go against the system from time to time not getting her friends involved.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 21:17   Link #96
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Am I the only one who noticed that Telestina's psychopath laugh seems out of place compared to her normal voice?

Old 2010-03-14, 21:23   Link #97
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

2/10.

So bad...so very bad. If it wasn't for Kongou it would have gotten a 1 from me.
Old 2010-03-14, 21:39   Link #98
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

I was kind of expecting the "twist" but at the same time I wasn't. I think it was initially very well executed for sure. When she steps on the flash drive, it's just such a "shit is getting REAL" moment.

Yeah, I suppose they went a bit overboard with her insanity, but I mean really, she does seem really insane to begin with, just in a different way.

And Saten is still the best character. yay.
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-14, 22:09   Link #99
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Actually, I think her mental instability might be because of too much psychic candy.
Also...
Spoiler for Index novels:

Old 2010-03-15, 00:47   Link #100
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Ange = Misaka, Kihara = Beato.

The VAs...

I see what you did thar, JC Staff