AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-01, 11:45   Link #1
james0246

Best and or Favourite Games of the Decade (2000 - 2009)

Hello, I did not see a thread concerning this topic, and since other similar threads have popped up in the various other sub-forums, I thought "Why Not." So, here is the thread.

Here we can list our favourite (or what we consider "best") games of the previous decade. From the esoteric to the uber-popular, this decade has been a very good for the gaming industry (not just monetarily, either), and the future, or at least parts of it, is very bright.

Your list can include up to 20 or so entries (it is a decade after all), and I would like if you provided at least a brief description as to why you think the game or games are the best of the decade (obviously, only games released during this previous decade can be listed). Besides that, no real rules exist (of course, try not to lambast the choices of the your fellow posters).

Here is my list (in no real order):

Spoiler for Long List:

Last edited by james0246; 2010-01-01 at 12:03.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 12:19   Link #2
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

For me personally, I think of Radiata Stories. Sure that it has many downside compared to other Tri-Ace games, but it brings me a fun experience compare to other game these following years. The time I've spent at recruiting all the characters, kicking people like shit, battling and discussing that game with my friend is seriously fun. >w<

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-01, 15:57   Link #3
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
I think the games of this decade, that will be remembered for generations to come, are:
Spoiler for length:

And these are my personal favorite games of the past few years:
Spoiler for length:

Last edited by ZGoten; 2010-01-02 at 03:21.
ZGoten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 00:03   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
My list is too long to put all of it, so I'm going to make one mention: The Witcher: Special Edition.

Best CRPG in years; I'd say best CRPG since Planescape: Torment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Splinter Cell:
Letīs be honest. The stealth-gameplay of Splinter Cell ist the gameplay MGS should have had.
MGS beats Splinter Cell in almost every aspect (story, characters) but it just isnīt as stealthy as Splinter Cell. IMO, Splinter Cell is basically the only Tactical Espionage Action-genre game-series of the previous decade.
Blasphemy! Thief 2: The Metal Age is the best stealth game of the past decade! Splinter Cell is pedestrian, dull and ordinary in comparison.
Old 2010-01-02, 23:45   Link #5
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I'm not an avid gamer, but for me, Persona 4 blows everything out of the water. If I could've finished TWEWY, it'd probably be second up there, since I was liking it a lot.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 00:37   Link #6
Yuutsu

Persona 4: Like OceanBlue said, it's an incredible RPG. P4, to me, represents a perfect almagamation of game, story, music, and fun. It's difficult to make a compelling story and even more difficult to make a funny one. P4 achieved both. In addition to the story (which I demand an anime of :P), I don't think there was a single track that I didn't like. Each had its own unique flavour and fitted the situation perfectly. Finally, I love the art design. Frankly, the graphics aren't great; however, the art design propels the game far above its competition in terms of presentation simply because its so stylish and alluring. Ok, I think I've done enough fanboying.

Shadow of the Colossus: Simply outstanding. I think every game that Fumito Ueda makes is gold, and this game certainly gives me some very compelling evidence. I haven't even finished this game, but I'm amazed each and every time I pick up the CD and insert it into my PS2. Like james0246 said, Shadow of the Colossus manages to achieve so much with so little. There's only 16 bosses and your horse. Yet, I find that I'm having so much more fun than other games that have so much more. As a result, it needn't be said that I'm going to purchase The Last Guardian (and P5) when they come out, if I have a PS3.

Okami: The graphics are one-of-a-kind. I don't think I've seen anything like it. It's cell-shaded, yet looks drastically different than other games that utilizes cell-shading (in a good way). The game is literally art-in-motion. Oftentimes, I just sit there and absorb views of the environments. Oh, and did I mention that it's also ridiculously fun? The combat is satisfying and quick, though it's a little bit too easy. Otherwise, Okami is definitely my adventure game of the decade (I don't play much games, lol).

Last edited by Yuutsu; 2010-01-03 at 03:30.
Yuutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 03:19   Link #7
Albafica
Pisces no saint

For me, it is:

Baldur's Gate 2 : beautiful graphics good story, nice characters, great fights
Morrowind : Incredible graphics, nice world, a lot of quests
Oblivion Awesome graphics, interesting quests, a lot of thing to do, a beautiful world
Vagrant Story Intense story, awesome characters, good fighting system
Valkyrie Profile Very tragic story, incredible characters, awesome fights and nice soundtrack
Diablo II Lord of Destruction!: ONLINE PVP
Old 2010-01-03, 05:43   Link #8
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Well:

War Craft
Prince Of Persia

If it was to me this games would have at least 10 parts!
Old 2010-01-03, 12:17   Link #9
Statonxyb
hrm

Final Fantasy IX

Half-Life 2
Old 2010-01-04, 02:30   Link #10
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Here are some of my Fave's of the Decade:

Pokemon Platinum: Like or not, the series has been a survivor, and they keep throwing new stuff into each new series of games, so they definitely deserve a mention. I mention this game in particular due to one fact: For the first time, you can have a rematch with a Gym you've defeated previously within the same game.

Super Smash Bros (Both Melee and Brawl): these games have pretty consistently fun since the start of this series, and has a huge replayability factor when it comes to multiplayer.

Scribbenauts: Okay, who wouldn't want the opportunity to use ANYTHING to solve a puzzle (even if that anything meant a Black Hole.)

And that all I can really seriously comment about for now, but I would like to give honorable mentions to:

Command and Conquer 3
Super Mario Galaxy
New Super Mario Bros. (Wii and DS)
Metroid Prime (Whole series)
Red Alert 2
Advanced Wars (Whole Series)
Mario Kart DS
Pokemon Heart Gold&Soul Silver
Grand Theft Auto (4 and San Andreas)
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 04:29   Link #11
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

JSRF an underrated game but I loved it, the tricks the art the music and even the story was enaging and I cant tell you the satisfaction of doing multiplayer with a friend or siblind and kill the enemy players in the funniest ways possible.

I have been begging for a sequel ever since that game came out

Blinx 2, even though there was quite some negative reviews for it the game was a challenge, fun, the co-op mode required actual team work and the multiplayer was made of absolute awesome. Too bad they discontinued it

Other games as well but mentioning them will require thinking something I am currently set against not doing.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 13:19   Link #12
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Incomplete list, but...
Audiosurf - An Inde game that adapts your music to create a level. Basically it's a music puzzle racer where you match blocks to gain points. The game is so simple that you might find yourself playing for hours and has very high replay value depending on your music collection. Also, it has very good graphics if you set the graphics setting very high if your graphics card handle it.
The Sims 2 - Believe it or not, I spent several hours playing this game since the game itself is very customizable and you can add modifications and hacks to the game, adding more features. Also the expansion packs too adds more features, which adds replay value.
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - The online play and improved underling mechanics of this game made this game have higher replay value. Effort Value training is more accessible in this game than the 3rd generation, so people have a better chance of improving their Pokemon. Also, the Battle Frontier adds even more replay value over Diamond and Pearl.
Super Smash Bros Melee/Brawl - Self explanatory, although online play adds more replay value in Brawl.
Super Mario Galaxy - Innovative use of control and also beautiful graphics and music seen on the Wii...
Old 2010-01-04, 16:53   Link #13
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Best games of the decade huh, let me see
Spoiler for for the list!:

will add more when I can remember them
Old 2010-01-05, 19:50   Link #14
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Guilty Gear Accent Core - Best fighting game I ever played hands down. Street Fighter, Tekken don't even come close to this game.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Great game and it lived up to my expectations.

Phantom Dust - Underrated Xbox game, my favorite Xbox game because of the depth of the game. Check out the online mode on youtube.

Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 - This game was just flat out awesome.

Namco x Capcom - Very fun RPG. Enjoyed all the characters that were in the game.
Old 2018-04-15, 12:33   Link #15
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

*Final Fantasy X
*Onimusha 2
*Resident Evil 4
*Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix
*Tekken 5
*Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
*God of War 2
*Persona 4
Old 2018-04-15, 14:14   Link #16
Honoakari
Lurking Member

This thread is so old... wow.

Used to play lots of western games back in those times on PC (PC Master Race!). Some of the highlights include:

- Crysis and Crysis Warhead - these were beautiful games... sadly they were quite short. To this day, I still play them from time to time (on the highest settings). The sequels were pretty disappointing though (in terms of story, setting, characters...)

- Back then I was a big fan of the Gothic series (best RPG series evah). Sadly, the series went down the drain after they rushed the third game...

- The Risen series was the successor of the Gothic series. Risen 1 (2009) was short but really nice (great music and atmosphere, still play it occasionally). The sequels were not as good, particularly the third one where they changed the main character...

- I am quite familiar with the TES lore but I never bothered playing Morrowind and Oblivion very much... I checked out Oblivion using cheats... Skyrim too.

- Back then I also played HL2 and Episodes, but looking back these were pretty bad games... The atmosphere was bleak and depressing, the plot was full of retcons and meh characters. I don't intend to replay them (though I might play the next game in the series, if they ever decide to release it...).

- My distaste for the HL2 series is also a result of my appreciation for the original Half-Life (and derivates), which I used to play a lot, both single-player and multi-player. HL2 was just too different...

- On the other hand the Portal series was really good.

- Oh, and back then I also used to play lots of Age of Empires II. Perhaps excessively...
Old 2018-04-16, 02:43   Link #17
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II and Mass Effect II.

I've played a TON of games over the years, but for RPGs, those will be my forever gold standards that I compare all RPG experiences to.