Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-02-19, 13:22   Link #32901
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
YOU linked to Reuters. Reuters is a major, major Western global news source. All sorts of Western media outlets "source" their stuff from there.

The West is reporting on it.
the reuters is a warehouse other news papers/media too lazy/cheap to do their own report. But it reaches nowhere near the number of people the brand name news medias do.
Old 2014-02-19, 13:41   Link #32902
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

I'll be brutally honest, but US and European media cares MUCH more about the situation in Ukraine than what happens in Asia, even more when it concerns stupid nonsenses about what happened between Japan and China during WWII.
Old 2014-02-19, 13:55   Link #32903
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Japan’s Public Broadcaster Faces Accusations of Shift to the Right
New York Times, January 31, 2014

This discusses both the first and third item you mention in the context of Abe's packing the NHK's Board with sympathizers.

I admittedly cannot find a piece at the Times about the UNESCO issue.

I'll agree with Der Langrisser when it comes to European concerns over the Ukraine. Most Americans have no inkling what is happening there or why. They don't pay much attention to the Western Pacific either. I live in a remarkably inward-looking country given our role in world politics.
Old 2014-02-19, 13:55   Link #32904
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Oh no, if something very big happens, like a riot in Shinjuku or, hey, the Tiananmen Square (sounds familiar...), the Western media is going to be all over it. No, I should correct that -- the world media is going to be all over it. Japan and China are very important places that a lot of people pay a lot of attention to in different ways.

But why should anyone but a madly anti-Japanese partisan care if the New York Times happen to decide it doesn't want to sic its vaunted, and tragically declining, investigative team to follow the hot trails of...revisionist remarks made by some asshole well-connected board member who probably pays teenage girls to date him? Such a riveting story lost to the inattentive news cycle. Right.

Now if they happen to want to sic said investigative team to create an exclusive report on the NHK media blackout on nuclear issues compares to, say, reporting by the Asahi Shimbun, that would be a different, much more interesting endeavor. They are just reporting stuff for now unfortunately.

Edit: like Sensei kindly ninja-linked above.
Old 2014-02-19, 15:35   Link #32905
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
For what it's worth, the New York Times Editorial Board delivered a slap-down to Prime Minister Abe for his efforts to alter Japan's military posture without amending the Constitution: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/20/op...d-the-law.html
Is the New York Times kissing China's butt or what? I notice how a number of Japan-bashing articles come a lot from there, but I've yet to see any media outlet calling a similar share of fouls and bashing on China in this entire mess. What the hell has Japan ever done to those cunts from the New York Times? If they wanna call it right, do it fairly and bash the other side as well.

Meanwhile, I must say I'm surprised that CNN didn't have men in Ukraine when I watched it yesterday night. In fact, I'm watching CNN through videos from Reuters covering this.

edit: Hey, look at this

Cossacks viciously attack Pussy Riot members with horsewhips, preventing protest performance

This is getting ridiculous as well. It must be worse than everything we have ever seen at the Olympics.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2014-02-19 at 15:48.
Old 2014-02-19, 15:57   Link #32906
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I notice how a number of Japan-bashing articles come a lot from there, but I've yet to see any media outlet calling a similar share of fouls and bashing on China in this entire mess.
That's just not true. Sure Western media don't cover every little event in the Western Pacific, but it's not like the Times isn't paying attention. Here's a piece by their chief defense correspondent, David Sanger, on the Chinese buildup from last December:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/02/wo...wer-looms.html

Quote:
The result is that, as the Chinese grow more determined to assert their territorial claims over a string of islands once important mainly to fishermen, America’s allies are also pouring military assets into the region — potentially escalating the once obscure dispute into a broader test of power in the Pacific.
And here's an article from just a few days ago about how US commitments in the region might play out if the Philippines were attacked: http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/...s-china-visit/

Quote:
Hua Chunying, a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman, took exception on Friday to a remark a day earlier by Adm. Jonathan Greenert, the chief of naval operations of the United States Navy. Admiral Greenert said the United States would fulfill its obligations under a mutual defense treaty to help the Philippines if it came under attack, although the admiral was careful not to say how much help might be provided.
From my reading of the Times, their staff is concerned about the rising tensions in the region as a whole, since that is much more important from the perspective of American foreign policy. Assessing who is to blame is a more complicated, and probably fruitless, matter, but I wouldn't say the Times is giving China a pass.

I sometimes find the level of nationalistic fervor in this thread so overwhelming that I cannot read it.
Old 2014-02-19, 16:00   Link #32907
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
That's just not true. Sure Western media don't cover every little event in the Western Pacific, but it's not like the Times isn't paying attention. Here's a piece by their chief defense correspondent, David Sanger, on the Chinese buildup from last December:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/02/wo...wer-looms.html
Yeah, but nothing like a full slap down on China from the chief editor, I meant especially. There's a difference of tone used towards Japan compared to towards China; well, that's perhaps just my impression though.

Meanwhile, what do you think of the incident involving the Pussy Riot group? If we talk about brutality by the police, that's a prime example.
Old 2014-02-19, 16:10   Link #32908
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Yeah, but nothing like a full slap down on China from the chief editor, I meant especially.
From a February 6th editorial:
Quote:
While China is a signatory to the 1982 Convention on the Law of the Sea, it opted out of international jurisdiction over some territorial issues. Still, with tensions rising with China’s claims in the South and East China Seas, the international community should make clear that China should abide by the rule of law and heed the United Nations arbitration ruling. What the Philippines started is not just a matter for the Philippines but an important step for the international community to support.
I also think today's piece on Abe reflects a certain sense of almost patriarchal responsibility for Japanese constitutional processes since the US wrote the Japanese Constitution.
Old 2014-02-19, 18:33   Link #32909
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Langrisser View Post
I'll be brutally honest, but US and European media cares MUCH more about the situation in Ukraine than what happens in Asia, even more when it concerns stupid nonsenses about what happened between Japan and China during WWII.
We're talking about Thailand, too. But yeah, somebody else's old grudges are just boring.
Old 2014-02-19, 19:20   Link #32910
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
We're talking about Thailand, too. But yeah, somebody else's old grudges are just boring.
You're perfectly right, what happens in Thailand is important, and potentially messy.

China's constant whining about Japan's past actions during WWII are like an old geezer neighbour constantly whining; after a moment everybody's stop giving a damn at all at the old coot rambling.

For example, I don't hold a grudge against Germany because my grandfather had been a POW, and forced to work at a weapons factory as forced labour during the war.
Old 2014-02-19, 19:29   Link #32911
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
You're perfectly right, what happens in Thailand is important, and potentially messy.

China's constant whining about Japan's past actions during WWII are like an old geezer neighbour constantly whining; after a moment everybody's stop giving a damn at all at the old coot rambling.

For example, I don't hold a grudge against Germany because my grandfather had been a POW, and forced to work at a weapons factory as forced labour during the war.
China isn't the only country still whining about ww2. The President of South Korea has not met with the Japanese Minister once since taking office.

And I do wonder if you still hold the same view if High Level German official denied that the Holocaust ever happen, denied there were force labor of occupied countries and the PM of Germany celebrates the sacrifice of the SS soldiers for Germany.
Old 2014-02-19, 20:11   Link #32912
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
China isn't the only country still whining about ww2. The President of South Korea has not met with the Japanese Minister once since taking office.
The president of South Korea is a tool as far as she is concerned. So far, she looks like a total weather vane and she also will get her own people angry with all kinds of conservative policies that have no room in this day and age. Mark my words: she will end up as hated as Margaret Thatcher was hated by everyone, home and abroad, in the end.

Last edited by KiraYamatoFan; 2014-02-19 at 20:33.
Old 2014-02-19, 20:29   Link #32913
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Not a surprise since her father, Park Chung-hee, is a conservative and anti-communist himself - He is the one who sent soldiers to Vietnam.

But again, how many people here truly care about S. Korea beside its Pop culture?
Old 2014-02-19, 21:17   Link #32914
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

And I do wonder if you still hold the same view if High Level German official denied that the Holocaust ever happen, denied there were force labor of occupied countries and the PM of Germany celebrates the sacrifice of the SS soldiers for Germany.
The problem is still same wether it' China or South Korea, after more than seventy years, it's more than time to finally bury the hatchet and let go.

German officials could deny all they want, there's mountains of archives and documents recording the atrocities Germany did during the war, and that's really matters, not what any official could say.
If Merkel wanted to honor the SS who diew fighting, it's her and Germany's concern not mine, although she probably indirectly (and unintentionaly) do it when she honors Germany's fallen soldiers.

And I'll leace it at that, as I've already derailed the thread too much.
Old 2014-02-19, 22:55   Link #32915
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Watch for companies to claim 'Jack Frost ate our profits'
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1I09120140219

Body found at school coach's house in Missouri girl abduction case
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A1I19T20140219
Old 2014-02-20, 00:16   Link #32916
maplehurry

Quote:

German officials could deny all they want, there's mountains of archives and documents recording the atrocities Germany did during the war, and that's really matters, not what any official could say.
When Ahmadinejad trolled Israel with Holocaust denials, "The remarks immediately provoked international controversy as well as swift condemnation from government officials in Israel, Europe, and the United States."

It's trolling, and ideally one should just ignore the trolls, but government officials are "obligated" to respond to these trollings.

Quote:
Yeah, but nothing like a full slap down on China from the chief editor, I meant especially. There's a difference of tone used towards Japan compared to towards China; well, that's perhaps just my impression though.
Well, from this piece they wrote, I think NYTimes just hates Abe's guts in particular, not pro-China or anti-Japan. Just a bit "wimpy", perhaps.

Quote:
...Given China’s unilateral decision, with its threat of possible military action, the United States needed to stand up for its ally Japan, for the principle of freedom of navigation of the seas and skies, and for other Asian nations that also have territorial disputes with China in the East China Sea and the South China Sea.

....But Mr. Abe has pursued a disturbingly nationalistic foreign policy dominated by overheated words and an aggressive posture toward China that can be dangerous, for Japan and the United States. The Obama administration must find a way to defend Japan’s interest without emboldening the Abe government to take foolish risks that would increase tensions with China.

...But it is China’s behavior that is most disturbing right now, especially since officials have left open the possibility of more air defense zones in the future.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2014-02-20 at 03:15.
Old 2014-02-20, 01:53   Link #32917
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Venezuelan protester dies from bullet wound, 5th fatality of unrest

Rioters seize over 1,500 guns in Ukraine mayhem - security services

China to spend $330 billion to fight water pollution -paper

GOVERNOR: COLORADO POT MARKET EXCEEDS TAX HOPES

Whistle-Blower Fired From Hanford Nuclear Site
Old 2014-02-20, 02:33   Link #32918
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We've been saying they should legalize some recreational drugs for years, but regulate and tax them. Less need for War of Drugs and recoop all that money in taxes.
Old 2014-02-20, 04:07   Link #32919
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

The war on drugs needs to end, pure and simple. People are free to do with their bodies as they please so long as they don't affect others in the process. When it comes to hard drugs like cocaine and heroin there needs to be some laws that prohibit people from working on certain professions that require concentration or could affect lives, such as being doctor or a driver. Mandatory drug tests should be required for high risk jobs. It would also be wise to invest in drug research and how we could better manage the chemical dependencies that drug addiction generates.

It is way more preferable to deal with the possible increase in drug addiction than to continue the war on drugs which keeps destroying the fabric of society. The war on drugs generates gangs, destabilizes countries, such as Mexico or Colombia, ruins economies, and kills millions of people. I would say it is a complete an utter disaster. Common sense dictates that suppressing any part of society whatever the motive; whether racial, sexual or desire, instead of accepting it and embracing it only leads to discord and social instability.

But who am I kidding? Illegal drugs are the second or 3rd most profitable business in the world, every country has its hands on the cookie jar and they won't let go, such as US banks which launder drug money all the time and the corrupt port authority cops. There will always be an excuse to continue "the war and drugs" and drive their price ever higher.
Old 2014-02-20, 04:32   Link #32920
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Hmm... I kind of thinking that it's like wine or tobacco. You use to something light, and so you try something stronger. But there are a lot of powerful, yet lethal drugs, right? So the question, as I think is it, is how to make people stop at weed or things in the safe level. Maybe there will always be the black market, even if they got legalised.

Last edited by Fireminer; 2014-02-20 at 05:24.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international