AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-23, 18:20   Link #101
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

I dunno: it's been quite a long time. Is Nami still that interesting to you? She's a piece of paper, right? Anyway, not my business...sorry.

I'm pretty excited right now. I honestly don't know what to think. It's almost impossible to predict what'll happen next. All I can do is just surmise. Naruto seems to be heating up too. And Bleach's last chapter was amazing.

I wonder: Which of the mangaka will shine at the end of these big arcs they're all in? The series with the most explosive potential is probably Naruto, depending on what Sasuke does.

But then, One Piece has Whitebeard coming in to actually fight, so I think...

Tough choice...

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:39   Link #102
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
I dunno: it's been quite a long time. Is Nami still that interesting to you? [2] She's a piece of paper, right? [1] Anyway, not my business...sorry.
[1] You sound like you can't see past the obvious when you said that Nami is a piece of paper when we fans see her as more than that in terms of character.

[2] Yes I'm still interested in Nami as she is an inspiration as a lead female character - which usually is close to the lead male character (Luffy) and would eventually be married. I lost my hopes on expecting to see couples in other anime.

Ash and Misty from Pokemon was one example I was hoping for until the Johto season ended with Misty having to stay at cerulean gym and having little or no adventures in Hoenn and Sinnoh.

Tai and Sora from Digimon 2nd season was another example I was hoping for only to find out that Sora would have children with Matt.

One Piece better not end up like those two in terms of personal relations to which I could link towards my characters or I might go insane and end up declaring a nuclear war on Japan.
Old 2009-07-23, 19:48   Link #103
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Well, if you feel that strongly, I guess I respect that. Didn't mean it offensively, honestly. I was just wondering why you were always so attached to her. I suppose I could also assume you're into fanfiction?

Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;

Then they came for me!
Old 2009-07-23, 20:05   Link #104
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
I'm pretty excited right now. I honestly don't know what to think. It's almost impossible to predict what'll happen next. All I can do is just surmise. Naruto seems to be heating up too. And Bleach's last chapter was amazing.

I wonder: Which of the mangaka will shine at the end of these big arcs they're all in? The series with the most explosive potential is probably Naruto, depending on what Sasuke does.
Oh wow.
Please, there's no comparison. I read Naruto and Bleach as well.
Naruto - Kishi's storytelling is bad and is fan-service more than quality. I actually like Bleach more than Naruto, that's only because I liked Naruto and it much more potential and Kishi just fucked it up.
Bleach - Kubo is horrible. He got way too many good characters and not enough bad. And on top of that, I doubt he even thought more than half of them through, like Bankai's and things like that. So like I said on the Chapter 367 Thread, don't get your hopes up. I like Bleach because of the fights only, and because of the 3 Favorite Characters
One Piece - Oda simply delivers good arcs, with a mix of epic fights with a good quality story. The overall uniqueness of the character designs, the design and uniqueness of the Grand Line/New World (even though we haven't seen it) and the Kingdom's and Island's we see. I can actually read One Piece without feeling like Oda just came up with some random shit in the middle of an arc. Like I can read it and feel like everything was thought out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
[1]
Ash and Misty from Pokemon was one example I was hoping for until the Johto season ended with Misty having to stay at cerulean gym and having little or no adventures in Hoenn and Sinnoh.
Man I was hoping Ash and Misty got together too.
Gosh dude, you brought back some meeeemmmorrries....
I can't even remember last time I saw Pokeman.
I use to watch that shit everyday in the mourning before I left for school.
And I was in elementary, so that was like in 97-99.
Old 2009-07-23, 20:41   Link #105
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

But honestly: you don't think that Naruto is going pretty sturdy right now? As soon as Sasuke left the picture for a while everything went back to normal. Problem is that now he's going to the Kage meeting, and whatnot, but Naruto + Kakashi etc will be there to take some of the spotlight away from him, so things can't go that boring.

Done properly, the current arc in Naruto has potential to parallel or outdo the current arc for One Piece. But that would be very difficult since we have Whitebeard at the door, like I said earlier.

I take it as a given that One Piece was hand crafted very carefully form the start. Haki was introduced in the very first chapter. Luffy and Ace's last names were different fro the beginning. Ace was introduced as a member of the Whitebeard crew since before the crew even entered the Grand Line. and all of these events have been shown to be of paramount importance. I'm constantly surprised that Oda was thinking all of that complex stuff from the beginning. I suppose that going with the flow is nice, but Oda's style of premeditated, deep storytelling is grandiose in overall effectiveness.

But Naruto has its own 'deepness'. Nobody was expecting the Itachi story to come out that way, for example. Although, to be fair, it's not as surprising a Oda's plot twists are, since such a crucial event taking place around the Uchihas isn't really that shocking. Oda tends to take the smallest, most insignificant looking things and bloat them up.

Like how he deliberately drew Rayleigh in the flashback to Roger's Crew, and of course nobody expected that guy to be the first mate. But, however flat Naruto's storyline is, with regards to pure depth of thought on the writer's part, it still manages to deliver, although on a lesser scale that OP.

Bleach tends to have magnificent flairs, and then let them fizzle out. Like the last two chapters: awesome. But somehow, something is going to go wrong somewhere, and mess it all up.

But all of the Big Three are currently at "peak points" in their current arcs. I just think it would be interesting to see which one flops first.

Then they came for me!
Old 2009-07-23, 20:48   Link #106
Rainbowman

Quote:
Well, if you feel that strongly, I guess I respect that. Didn't mean it offensively, honestly. I was just wondering why you were always so attached to her. I suppose I could also assume you're into fanfiction?
At least you're honest. As for the fanfiction part, my brother is into that stuff. So much in fact he hogs the computer owned by my grandma (from my mom's side of the family). Anywho, I plan to make my characters and promote them into every media (just like america did for Avatar: the last airbender, the Boondocks, and Batman: Gotham Knight) as soon as I get all the elements from the One Piece story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk View Post
Man I was hoping Ash and Misty got together too.
Gosh dude, you brought back some meeeemmmorrries....
I can't even remember last time I saw Pokemon.
I use to watch that shit everyday in the mourning before I left for school.
And I was in elementary, so that was like in 97-99.
Well even though I lost personal interest in the characters in the Pokemon series, I never lost interest in the Pokemon themselves. BTW, did you know that I graduated from High School in year 2000?
Old 2009-07-23, 22:31   Link #107
ellifeedn
Thinker

Offtopic: Will I get shot if I suggest Ash has a harem?

Ontopic: Do the coated ships look different from uncoated ships?
Old 2009-07-23, 23:49   Link #108
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Offtopic: Will I get shot if I suggest Ash has a harem?
That depends on how lucky we fans would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Ontopic: Do the coated ships look different from uncoated ships?
Getting back ontopic, how would one tell if a ship is coated?
Old 2009-07-24, 00:13   Link #109
james0246

Quote:
Getting back ontopic, how would one tell if a ship is coated?
It can travel underwater...
Old 2009-07-24, 00:23   Link #110
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

OH RAW-R!

WB sure knows how to make a entrance

this blows going back to old town where I used to live, won't see this chapter till Sunday!

or any manga or anime till then!!!
Old 2009-07-24, 00:40   Link #111
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It can travel underwater...
Uh... I was asking how you could tell if the ship was coated just by looking at it.
Old 2009-07-24, 00:43   Link #112
game2007

RAW is out, and turns out that the 600 million bounty thing is fake.
Old 2009-07-24, 00:53   Link #113
james0246

Quote:
Uh... I was asking how you could tell if the ship was coated just by looking at it.
If it travels underwater or you see it emerge from underwater...

Quote:
Originally Posted by game2007 View Post
RAW is out, and turns out that the 600 million bounty thing is fake.
That’s actually kind of relieving. I was a little befuddled by the bounty on that character, so finding out it was fake is actually good news.
Old 2009-07-24, 03:53   Link #114
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
So now we have a drag queen and a fat man in our crew? thats the end of strawhats after all
Sanji will see nami and turn back into himself, there is no way he'll remain a gay transvestite.

Quote:
In any case, Luffy doesn't want to be a Yonkou; hes aiming for something way higher.
I didn't mean that Luffy is aiming wants to be Yonkou. Titles (not ranks, like shichibukai, or Marine admiral) in the one piece world are something that is given, and then embraced. Luffy and Zoro became super nova's without consultation, and Zoro was more or less given his title of hunter (as he originally said he did it so he could eat from time to time, its not like he wanted to be a bounty hunter). Luffy is aiming for the pirate king, but at the same time says in chapter 506 or 507 that to him pirate king is simply the pirate that has the most freedom in the Seas. Its not exactly roger's title. Roger is called pirate king by the world, but rayleigh him self says he wasn't always pirate king.

My speculation is that Yonkou just refers to strongest pirates who are in a virtual deadlock in the new world in terms of power. Sort of like Abyssal ones in claymore before the battle of the North. Though there not allied their powers check one another, as well as they are placed in check by the world government as an entity. (Since none of them are allied with the government). I don't think the poeple with that title are aiming for it. I think its very well possible that luffy will become a Yonkou before he makes it to pirate king. I largely think that the conclusion of this arc is going to be a fundamental break in the existing balance of power. Oda's wording from episode 325 (and what ever chapter that corresponds to in the Manga) indicate something really big is going to come. To top it off that information was given just after we're introduced to the new world, the yonkuu, and strawhats pretty much destroyed enies lobby.

Quote:
Naruto - Kishi's storytelling is bad
Bleach - Kubo is horrible. He got way too many good characters and not enough bad.
One Piece - Oda simply delivers good arcs, with a mix of epic fights with a good quality story.
They have there merits, I read all three but favor one piece substantially.

Naruto - I think has the easiest plot, and probably the most relatable characters to the real world. Naruto is one of few anime/manga that brought me close to tears, particularly because of themese of alienation. Thats its strength. The story is bit to focused on Naruto/Sasuke relationship. hen you pull away from the plot it seems very one dimensional. It also flows like a continuous arc, and less like a collection of several arcs.

Bleach- The first arc is amazing, but it has a very dragon ball Z flavour. The hero has a exponential growth curve, bankai smells to much like Super Saya-jin and ichigo gets owned, trains some then goes and owns the enemy. It also has several levels of super saiyan (Bankai, Hollow form, Ichigo's latest form). Being dragon ballesque it becomes to focused on individual fights, and the plot seems to go now where as it drags out. The story arcs are also repetitive in a similar manner, though unlike dragon ball is continuous

One piece has probably the hardest plot to get into, the character designs are ridiculous and harder to relate to. They all have ridiculous ambitions, and dreams, and are skilled. At the same time they are nearly perfect at their individual skillsets, and when they improve it comes from epiphanies and sudden endowments. The plot is somewhat boring at first as it sounds like a race. Where the brilliance lies is that despite its ridiculousness, it is incredibly coherent in its story, and deeply imaginitive. Oda introduces a far larger world than either bleach or naruto, and presents it with great amounts of detail. This makes the world seem much more complex than bleach and naruto which are set in few locations that have little influence on tone the story takes. His foreshadowing skills are amazing because he can take minute details from years earlier than reveal them as something that becomes important to the storyline.
Old 2009-07-24, 06:51   Link #115
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Buggy the messiah was one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in this manga lol
Old 2009-07-24, 07:09   Link #116
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Well managed to catch the chapter and while its great and all, all I spied was someone that could be Lola's mothers....unless its a guy in drag

Buggy again giving the chuckles when needed, guy is set for big things now
Old 2009-07-24, 07:21   Link #117
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
WHO DID THIS? BUGGY WAS IT YOU?
This manga´d be nowhere without a character like buggy

Now THAT´s how you make an appearance!
Old 2009-07-24, 08:42   Link #118
kakakka

Weird, I thought WB has that one slash scar on the center of his chest (aside from those scars on the left and right that were covered before). Ah, I might be just nitpicking now....

All the pirates are there now. There might be fighting next chapter....or not yet and another flashback storytelling I think...
Old 2009-07-24, 08:53   Link #119
Prestige

*AAaarrghlarll*

Sooo damn awesome chapter... I am still shaking from excitment... god damn you Oda you did it again...

I am enjoying far too much about this series damn it...

I was pretty sceptic about Whitbeards chances against marines untill this chapter...

Entire freaking fleet of powerful New World pirates with full of hotshot names AND including Whitebeards entire fleet with ALL 16 Division commanders AND Whitebeard himself who looks ready to kick some ASS!

''Hang in there Ace!'' and ''Father!'' what a emotion rich moment in last panels.

Whitbeards suprise appear blewed all those marine plans out of the water and battle is about to start...

AAAARGH I wish it would be next week already!!!!
Old 2009-07-24, 09:20   Link #120
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
2 words that can describe this chapter: Epic and intense.