Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-04, 18:45   Link #21
Cinocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
The simplest answer to your first question is I don't know. I gave you the example of a vice admiral, who is supposedly strong, not affected by her charm (no shouting, or hearts popping out of his eyes), but still affected by her devil fruit ability. Right now, Boa with seastone handcuffs on her cannot use her devil fruit ability, so going with the vice-admiral example in front of us, it would be okay to assume a similar scenario for others too.

Also, Luffy is presented as an exception, which is easy to deduce from Boa's expressions. And, I strongly believe, Boa's many years of experience, as a Shichibukai, should tell us something. Since as a Shichibukai, she would have met people a lot stronger than Luffy. And, yet, she was shocked to see her powers not affecting Luffy. If she had an experience of that, she would have shown a much calmer expression, and immediately switch to another technique, instead of shooting heart bullets over and over again.
True, a vice admiral is strong. But Hancock power depends a lot on opponents' desire. And for many strong characters that we are familiar with, the majority of them can be considered bad asses, and it's simply hard imagining them going crazy over Hancock.

And the fact is she's a late boomer in the Shichibukai. She fought once and was immediately granted the status. Not saying that she's weak, but she hadn't really fought before became a Shichibukai (can you give an example?), and after that the sea was practically quite "peaceful." She might have met strong person, with bounty worth hundreds of million or such, but not in a fight with big bosses like Hawk or Whitebeard, etc.

It's also very understandable that she was surprised when her charm didn't work on a no-name. She was surprised not because her power actually does not work in certain case, but because Luffy had a unexpectedly strong will. Will you be surprised seeing a 3 year old kid reading, when you've met countless literate people in your life?
Old 2009-02-04, 18:54   Link #22
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Hancock of course . Obviously he is susceptible to the young nubile flesh of an attractive woman (what with his fetish for hot nurses ), so he would be putty in Hancock's hands, especially if she dressed up as a nurse/doctor .

j/k

That reminds me.... I always kinda had the thought that one of Whitebeard's nurses may be one of his 16 division commanders (y'know, like the head nurse or something). I just think it would be nice to see more asskicking women in the New World, you know?

Anyways, back to the chapter: I wonder if the sphinx is down for the count? I was actually sorta hoping that he would join with Luffy's team and cause chaos in the lower levels, but if Luffy and Bon Clay teamed up to take him down.... then I guess that he'll be KO'ed until the end of the storyline. 'Twould be a shame if that happens, because I actually took a liking to the big brute......
Old 2009-02-04, 18:55   Link #23
james0246

@Cinocard: Hancock has been functioning as a Shichibukai for probably about a decade (her history as a Pirate has dated back at least 11 years, and she presumably became a Shichibukai not long after she became a notorious Pirate). So, in her decade of power, she has had ample opportunity to meet up with the crème de la crème of the One Piece universe. While I doubt she has ever fought someone like Whitebeard (though it is tough to say one way or another...even Moria fought Kaidou once upon a time), she has undoubtedly fought extremely high level opponents.

That being said, it is far more likely that her true power is her currently unknown Haki powers. The Mero Mero fruit was given to her by the Tenryubito so that she would be more entertaining (i.e. provide entertainment to the Tenryubito), and I doubt the Mero Mero abilities were meant to be a truly offensive ability. So, I doubt that her DF would work against similar level opponents (similar level to her, considering that she is one of the Big Dogs).

Last edited by james0246; 2009-02-04 at 19:06.
Old 2009-02-04, 18:56   Link #24
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
It's also very understandable that she was surprised when her charm didn't work on a no-name. She was surprised not because her power actually does not work in certain case, but because Luffy had a unexpectedly strong will. Will you be surprised seeing a 3 year old kid reading, when you've met countless literate people in your life?
Exactly. It is very similar to the situation when Mihawk fought Zoro. We know that Mihawk has encountered opponents a lot stronger and more dangerous than Zoro (whom he considered a weakling at the time) prior to their confrontation, and yet he was amazed by how strong his will was.

Quote:
That being said, it is far more likely that her true power is her currently unknown Haki powers. The Mero Mero fruit was given to her by the Tenryubito so that she would be more entertaining, and I doubt the Mero Mero abilities were meant to be a truly offensive ability. So, I doubt that her DF would work against similar level opponents (similar level to her, considering that she is one of the Big Dogs).
Thank you and very well said. Finally someone else advocates what I've been suggesting this whole time.
Old 2009-02-04, 19:02   Link #25
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I apologize in advance for asking this off-topic question. It is only to prove a point I am trying to make.

@Fipskuul - I'm going to ask you a really simple question. Who do you think would win in a fight, Whitebeard or Hancock? Please provide some brief reasoning for your answer.
I hope that this is not the best you can come up with to make a point, since it has no relationship to what is being discussed. What you are saying is actually this: since Whitebeard is the strongest man alive, Mihawk's sword cannot cut him (notice the difference between cutting and beating/killing).
Old 2009-02-04, 19:11   Link #26
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
I hope that this is not the best you can come up with to make a point, since it has no relationship to what is being discussed. What you are saying is actually this: since Whitebeard is the strongest man alive, Mihawk's sword cannot cut him (notice the difference between cutting and beating/killing).
Oh but it does have a relation to what we're discussing. How about you answer the question instead of dodging it? Is that the best you can do? And I don't know how in the hell you deduced I was saying your statement proceeding the colon. That is not what I'm saying at all and you're just trying to put words in my mouth. What are you talking about? So, are you going to answer my question or not? If you don't answer my question you are basically conceding that you have been wrong this whole time and that you've lost the argument.
Old 2009-02-04, 19:21   Link #27
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Oh but it does have a relation to what we're discussing. How about you answer the question instead of dodging it? Is that the best you can do? And I don't know how in the hell you deduced I was saying your statement proceeding the colon. That is not what I'm saying at all and you're just trying to put words in my mouth. What are you talking about? So, are you going to answer my question or not? If you don't answer my question you are basically conceding that you have been wrong this whole time and that you've lost the argument.
Ha ha ha. I have seen many people stooping to a low level, but, that may be one of lowest I had seen so far. Yellowflash would have been proud with you. If you don't know who that is, ask the elders of the forum. And since I do not want to get a warning trying to push things through your head, I have just transferred you to the ignore mechanism. Good luck trying to get out of that.
Old 2009-02-04, 19:28   Link #28
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

being sick sucks.....

The warden's power looks sick. A poison dragon/ hydra? that is badass.

The sphinx gets taken out by Mr/ Bonclay disguised as zoro. Taking an idea from another forum- mr. bonclay could quite possibly impersonate the strawhat crew making it look like all of them are there... this would add a small twist.

"Sadi"- the sadist- has the devil motif on her.

the chapter ends with mr. 2 and luffy looking very optimistic.
Old 2009-02-04, 19:28   Link #29
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
@marvelB

I'm surprised you're so into Level 6. So because there wasn't any confirmation on them going to level 5 makes them going to level 6? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Since it wasn't confirmed theres even a level 6 in the first place.

And the sphinx gets taken out?! :[
Old 2009-02-04, 19:47   Link #30
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Ha ha ha. I have seen many people stooping to a low level, but, that may be one of lowest I had seen so far. Yellowflash would have been proud with you. If you don't know who that is, ask the elders of the forum. And since I do not want to get a warning trying to push things through your head, I have just transferred you to the ignore mechanism. Good luck trying to get out of that.
Your idle threats don't intimidate me in the least. I haven't done anything wrong and everyone here knows it. Hmm.....maybe I should report you to the moderator and tell him that you are not contributing to this thread and that you like to put words into other people's mouths? You think I'm scared you transferred me to the ignore mechanism? Please. I have had good discussions with many members on this forum, and you are the first to have really gotten on my nerves. Congratulations. I assure you that I won't be getting into any trouble, and the moderator himself knows that I am a good poster and that I treat everyone with equal respect, something you don't do. So yeah. If you're looking to start trouble with me, it will be to no avail. Good day sir.
Old 2009-02-04, 19:48   Link #31
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
@marvelB

I'm surprised you're so into Level 6. So because there wasn't any confirmation on them going to level 5 makes them going to level 6? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Since it wasn't confirmed theres even a level 6 in the first place.

If Ace were in level 5, we would've been told so right from the get-go. Why would Oda keep Ace's location a mystery otherwise? I can only assume that he's being held in level 6+. To be extra-sure I checked the Japanese script for further confirmation. Sure enough, it also says that Hancock went to "Ace's floor". I'm not saying without a shadow of a doubt that Ace isn't being held in level 5, but as things are going, it looks like the signs are pointing towards him being held in a deeper level......
Old 2009-02-04, 19:55   Link #32
Cinocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
So because there wasn't any confirmation on them going to level 5 makes them going to level 6? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Since it wasn't confirmed theres even a level 6 in the first place.

And the sphinx gets taken out?! :[
Wasn't it drawn that there were a building at the bottom? I know it wasn't written there, but that's pretty logical guess. To be honest though, i wish there's no level 6, just rescue Ace fast and get to the big stuff.

But, no, level 6+ is too overboard, no matter how you look at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
"Sadi"- the sadist- has the devil motif on her.

the chapter ends with mr. 2 and luffy looking very optimistic.
Is that an official word play on her name now? And since when have those two not be optimistic

Quote:
@Cinocard: Hancock has been functioning as a Shichibukai for probably about a decade (her history as a Pirate has dated back at least 11 years, and she presumably became a Shichibukai not long after she became a notorious Pirate). So, in her decade of power, she has had ample opportunity to meet up with the crème de la crème of the One Piece universe. While I doubt she has ever fought someone like Whitebeard (though it is tough to say one way or another...even Moria fought Kaidou once upon a time), she has undoubtedly fought extremely high level opponents.
I know she's been a Shichibukai for more than a decade, but essentially nothing happened back then, and all she did was just going around robbing small fries. I don't think she has much experience fighting people stronger than...say, Zoro. Of course all are guesses.
Old 2009-02-04, 20:03   Link #33
james0246

^Well Dragon did pop up in the past decade or therebouts (we know that he became a threat 5-6 years ago). Added to that, the age of pirates (the current age) has been considered a fairly violent age (considering that Gold Roger's proclamation caused a massive rise in the number of Pirates). So it is not like she has been living in peaceful times.
Old 2009-02-04, 20:16   Link #34
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Quote:
Anyways, if you have something to add, why don't you contribute in a meaningful way?
If I had something to add I would have.

By meaningful do you mean me making snarky comments at people who disagree with my overly semantic stances on the abilities of characters? Na. Like I said I prefer to lurk.

On to the actual story.

Quote:
Oh, and as far as that guard chick goes (Sadi, I believe her name was?), I figure that she's most likely one of the guardians of level 4. Heh, I wonder who will take her on? I guess some people will guess Hancock (if she's willing to fight, that is), but I think I'd rather see Bon Clay fight her instead (since he's essentially a "woman" anyhow). For right now though, there's still Saldeath to deal with......
I like the current pace of the arc, so I'm kinda hoping that it won't turn into everyone gets there 1v1 fights. I'm enjoying this, but I do want Luffy to join back with the rest of the Strawhats sometime during this calendar year.

That said I would love to see Hancock fighting anyone....more screen time for Boa is a plus no matter what it is.
Old 2009-02-04, 20:24   Link #35
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
I wonder what Dragon is thinking after Luffy breaks out Ace.

Dragon: Man I got some awesome sons.
Old 2009-02-04, 20:41   Link #36
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma
What does this idiotic statement have to do with anything we're talking about? Besides that, what is the basis you have for such a statement?
Not involving myself, but yea: honestly when he pulled the Blackbeard one I was at a loss myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
That reminds me.... I always kinda had the thought that one of Whitebeard's nurses may be one of his 16 division commanders (y'know, like the head nurse or something). I just think it would be nice to see more asskicking women in the New World, you know?
Whoa! Nice thought! One of the nurses being a Division commander doesn''t sound bad at all. In fact, what if the Nurses also double up as some seriously super-strong Haki-proficient bodyguards? They're always around him. Good idea.

Anway: Hello again, everyone, And my own thoughts on the Boa Mero Mero thing: the power was derived from the gorgon Medusa of myth, so it petrifies people. But it would be overpowered if people got petrified no matter what, as long as she targeted them, or they looked at her, or anything like that, so Oda, in his wisdom, decided to validate its effectiveness based on the target's arousal.

That way she doesn't go around petrifying Whitebeard, Shanks, Mihawk, and Sengoku whenever PMS grips her. If her power were absolute, unconditional petrification, then there would be a severe plothole that no amount of Hype on Whitebeard etc could solve.

End of story. So it means that: Desire + Boa targeting you = Petrification.
But Obliviousness + Boa targeting you = Nullification.

It really isn't that hard to understand. I don't really think much on the whole theory of her using her Haki to enhance her appeal, since I never saw any canon evidence to support it, but it stands to reason, so she may be doing that as well. So then it works out more like Boa trying to ensure that everyone she comes across WILL be attracted to her, so that way she can petrify anyone; Including heterosexual women, lol .

It's not rocket science, lol. ...God people.

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Old 2009-02-04, 21:07   Link #37
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
If I had something to add I would have.

By meaningful do you mean me making snarky comments at people who disagree with my overly semantic stances on the abilities of characters? Na. Like I said I prefer to lurk.
No. I was referring to "if you agree or disagree with the discussed ideas related to the story, then give your reasonings". Though, you already mentioned that you have nothing to add, so no need to force that on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holypanl View Post
Not involving myself, but yea: honestly when he pulled the Blackbeard one I was at a loss myself.
Why? Is it too difficult to say that Blackbeard who was considered as nothing by most other characters in the story happened to be one of the strongest ones. To your misunderstanding: just because someone is using a character's name as his forum id, I have no intention to check my every sentence involving that character to see whether it offends someone or not. And I won't put the blame on Boa and her powers too.
Old 2009-02-04, 22:03   Link #38
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Here is an awesome trailer for the upcoming One Piece Unlimited Cruise Episode 2 game for the Nintendo Wii. I decided to post this here since it has spoilers for people who only watch the anime. Credit goes to a user by the name of Cyborg009 at Arlong Park forums who was kind enough to share this video with the One Piece community upon his discovery. Thank you Cyborg009 and enjoy everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Kkk...eature=channel

Kizaru's voice is freaking awesome and he sounds exactly like what I, and many others for that matter, imagined him sounding like.
Old 2009-02-04, 23:02   Link #39
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

^ looks pretty darn awesome. and I've been reading the past posts... what the hell is flipskul's argument anymore? I'm not sure.....

whatever. maybe another one will bite the dust... I remember having an argument with another poster once, i believe he got banned. Hope it doesn't happen again... eh.

So if you ask me, I really oppose the 1 vs. 1 idea as well. It doesn't look like the really short guy got much screen time. I hope the rest of the people won't either.

A person I DO want to see is that minotaur. I want luffy to just kick his ass.

As for the poison warden... even though he looks badass, I don't want him to be a really good fighter. What I really want to see is him get massacred and the vice-warden take control. ( would be great!)
Old 2009-02-04, 23:32   Link #40
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
what the hell is flipskul's argument anymore? I'm not sure.....
I guess, the previous 357 posts in this thread made my points impossible to track. Let me summarize those 18 pages worth of posts, without going through hell pain:

"Not being able to see Boa's charm working on Ace and others cannot be used as a means to say, her devil fruit powers won't affect them (example the vice admiral who didn't show signs of getting affected by her charm, until she used her devil fruit powers). "

"Her powers not working on Luffy cannot be used as a proof to say anyone stronger than Luffy would not be affected by her powers too (example Boa's shock)."

"Just because her devil fruit power may look silly does not mean her devil fruit power is weak enough to not let her elected as a Shichibukai. (example the likelihood of Robin getting selected as a Shichibukai, if she had wanted)"

I don't know if there are others pushed to a corner. But, for now, if you have anything to say to those arguments, please be my guest.

Spoiler for OT:

Last edited by Sazelyt; 2009-02-04 at 23:42.
Closed Thread