AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2012-07-25, 22:58   Link #81
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

It sounds like the rights for the movie are currently in negotiation for the US (and the UK), wonder if Funi gets it if they'd give it a theatrical release like they did with Summer Wars last time. But at least it sounds like someone, or possibly more than one someone, is trying to get the film to the US which I take as a good sign.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 17:42   Link #82
nojay
Scanlator

There's a regular cinema-based anime festival, Scotland loves anime held here in the autumn. I got to see Summer Wars a couple of years ago in Edinburgh at the Filmhouse. Here's hoping _Ookami_ is on the schedule for this October. No details yet though.
Old 2012-08-21, 06:09   Link #83
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
So yeah,I guess it's official,Hosoda's reached mainstream success with this film.
It's sold 2.4 million tickets and earned 2.9 billion yen (37 million dollars) in one month.
I'm sure NTV's promotion helped but the movie must have had great word of mouth as well since after an initial decline it's remained consistant in the past few weeks.

So I guess Hosoda and studio Chizu won't have a problem getting their next project off the ground.
Old 2012-08-21, 12:04   Link #84
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I hope Madhouse is getting a decent cut.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 18:03   Link #85
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

I really enjoyed this film, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it's doing well commercially. The structure and pacing are just so unconventional.
Old 2012-08-24, 16:30   Link #86
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
There's a regular cinema-based anime festival, Scotland loves anime held here in the autumn. I got to see Summer Wars a couple of years ago in Edinburgh at the Filmhouse. Here's hoping _Ookami_ is on the schedule for this October. No details yet though.
Here you go, it's officicial

No exact date yet though.
Old 2012-08-28, 20:25   Link #87
totoum
Me at work

In all honesty that's one of the most powefull scenes in the movie ,hell maybe even my favorite, but I feel it loses a lot of power without the context and all the buildup so I'd advise people against watching it,that's why I didn't post it.
Old 2012-08-28, 21:43   Link #88
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Yeah, I already regret having seen that. I knew a scene like that would be in the movie. It was inevitable. Is there a DVD/blueray release date yet? Usually it takes around 4-7 months for a movie to come out on blueray/dvd right?
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 23:43   Link #89
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
Yeah, I already regret having seen that.
So maybe it'd be a good idea to at least put that vid under a spoiler tag?

No date from japan yet however the french licensor is bringing out the Blu-ray/DVD in about 4 months,I figure they wouldn't be releasing them before the Japanese release so my guess is January.
Old 2012-08-29, 06:40   Link #90
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

While the rest of the English speaking world has to wait it painful expectation.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 20:49   Link #91
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
So maybe it'd be a good idea to at least put that vid under a spoiler tag?
Well isn't that obvious.. If you're watching a scene from a movie, it's obviously going to contain spoilers. Not to be annoying or anything, but I thought it was unnecessary in this case. My intention definitely wasn't to give spoilers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
No date from japan yet however the french licensor is bringing out the Blu-ray/DVD in about 4 months,I figure they wouldn't be releasing them before the Japanese release so my guess is January.
4 months is the usual waiting time for these kinda movies so that's good.
Old 2012-08-31, 04:34   Link #92
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Well isn't that obvious.. If you're watching a scene from a movie, it's obviously going to contain spoilers.
Not always,as long as the scene doesn't hold a key plot moment I wouldn't say it spoils anything.
Coincidentally there's been a few small scenes uploaded yesterday that I feel are all alright to show, here and here
Old 2012-08-31, 19:24   Link #93
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Wow @scene 3. The music really completes everything. Damn this is gonna be a great movie!

LMAO @scene 2. Yuki can really throw a fit.

Last edited by Haohmaru; 2012-08-31 at 19:35.
Old 2012-09-01, 09:03   Link #94
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Wolf Children (Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki)

Hosoda hasn't directed a lot of movies, but he has directed very different types of movies so far. I feel that this is his most honest and open one so far. It is also his most mature work as a filmmaker and a very interesting take on the material he has decided to tackle.

I don't really feel the need to talk too much about the actual contents of the movie much, because I highly recommend that anyone interested should catch the movie at the earliest opportunity to see for themselves what it has to offer. Instead I would like to talk about the themes of the movie and how the director approached them and executed the story into film.

It's a relatively simple story, and probably the most straightforward one Hosoda has told. It is about a young woman who meets a man who is half-wolf, falls in love with him, and they have two kids. Due to various circumstances, she has to bring them up alone after moving to a quiet countryside. The movie is about motherhood, growing up, and children deciding how they want to live their lives.

How Hosoda approaches this material in an extremely direct way. When compared to some of his previous films like his One Piece movie and Tokikake, the most obvious difference here is that he has chosen to completely do away with the heavy handed use of visual metaphors and complex imagery. In doing so, it lacks of the darker and somber touch of those movies, but in exchange he has achieved his highest level of naturalism yet.

Much of the movie is told with extremely sparse use of dialogue, instead opting to use long montages and subtle interaction sequences driven by nothing more than music and the performances of the character animations. This method of direction reminds me most of classic Disney films, where many key moments don't require any scripted dialogue at all, but are communicated entirely by visuals and sound.

In addition to this there is very little dramatic overtones injected into the narrative, instead choosing to present a more honest and natural tale of how children grow up. Yes, the fantasy element of the wolf motif makes it more interesting, but that is as far as it ever goes.

Instead of relying on the traditional aspects of dramatic conclusions to a typical 3 act structure, the movie never quite telegraphs how far it is into the story, or when the narrative is coming to an end. Yet the pacing is far from disappointing, because it is an apt companion to the theme of life and growing up - in a way it never really ends, and how we tell one chapter of that life can just naturally conclude with major events in our lives which might not affect anyone other than ourselves. Things which hold a special meaning, but not necessarily something which everything was building up to.

I found the music, the direction, the art, and the animation impressive, but no single element overwhelms the others. Instead it is how it all comes together which makes the work feel special, because that is how well thought out the presentation is. Another interesting feeling I was left with is that there weren't really any memorable lines in the movie, but tons of memorable scenes. It feels realistic in a way, because real life is rarely filled with quotable quips.

I'll conclude by saying that if Hosoda's One Piece movie was a sign of an angry younger man trying desperately to have his talent noticed (and that is far from a bad thing), then this movie is a milestone showing the world that he has matured into a bold filmmaker who is now able to also tell a simple and direct story, without applying overly artistic film language, and yet lose none of the beauty and elegance of a great movie.

What makes this achievement all the more meaningful is that by telling a story this way, more people can appreciate the message he wants to share, and the appeal is much more universal. I'm not surprised at all that the movie is doing so well in Japan right now. It provides an experience which appeals to those who watch Ghibli films, but yet it is so far from anything Ghibli would ever produce and hence it offers a unique experience which cannot be found anywhere else.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 09:49   Link #95
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

How close would you say the Manga follows the original? I read a couple of chapters and decided not to continue in fear of spoilers. Anyway, thanks for hyping up this movie even more. The wait was already unbearable as it is.
Old 2012-09-01, 10:40   Link #96
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
How close would you say the Manga follows the original? I read a couple of chapters and decided not to continue in fear of spoilers. Anyway, thanks for hyping up this movie even more. The wait was already unbearable as it is.
I dunno, I haven't read the manga and I have no intention to. I generally don't bother with manga adaptations of movies, just like I don't bother with novelizations of Hollywood movies. Sorry, can't be of help there.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 11:53   Link #97
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

My understanding is that Hosoda wrote the manga himself, so I assume it follows pretty closely. I'm tempted to read it, because it seems we won't be seeing the movie in the States until the DVD comes out in Japan.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 16:46   Link #98
Kirarakim

Yeah the one thing I hate about movies is how long they take to come out here.
Old 2012-09-01, 17:22   Link #99
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
My understanding is that Hosoda wrote the manga himself, so I assume it follows pretty closely. I'm tempted to read it, because it seems we won't be seeing the movie in the States until the DVD comes out in Japan.
The light novel is writen by Hosoda himself
The manga I'm not sure but it's close to the movie but you get the story without Hosoda's direction,not that the story isn't good but without hosoda it's not the same.

Last edited by totoum; 2012-09-02 at 03:41.
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 18:37   Link #100
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

The manga definitely isn't written by Hosada. The pacing is very weird in the manga. It doesn't make much sense.. There's no build up or anything. I've read that Hosada wrote the Novel himself. So that might be worth checking out, if it ever gets translated that is.

@Duckroll, no problem.