AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Full Metal Panic > Past FMP Series (Archive)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-22, 03:08   Link #61
Edaindil

For me, FMP as a whole picked up from the beginning of Fumoffu. I enjoyed a lot of the character development and it was comical. The first series started headstrong and I ignored a lot of the technical terms they used as I didn't really understand them until later in the anime. I felt like watching a bad version of Evangelion because I was a bit confused. The dialogue for the first series was laughable too. In fumoffu, the "Sagara is stupid" is over played, but it can also be over looked.
Anyways, TSR really fixed all the problems of the first series and turned out as everyone said, wonderfully. I actually just finished it this afternoon, so I guess I'm a late comer. The high point for me was when Tessa lectured Colonel Mardukas because as she was saying it, she didn't know how wrong she was because Sagara was about to have a total break down. However, everything was ok when chidori showed up, but the climax was definietly there.

Obviously, the story doesn't end... and I wished it would have ended too because long animes become bad animes. However, TSR left enough bait for many of us to look forward to the next installment (it better be soon!).

I have a few question though
Do you guys think it's an anime about love, or cool robots fighting? Or is the author trying to do a mix of it? Personally, I think full metal panic is fully a love story. The robots are just a theme that superficially skins the emotional significance of the story. For episode 13, all the enemies died pretty quickly without much trouble, it was sorta anti-dramatic if you think about it. But I felt satisfied because the love story took a huge step forward as both main female characters confessed their love in their own way. It's as though the author is jsut simply trying to tell us a story about a love triangle and that's it...

Also, I feel that the love triangle is not necessary anymore. I feel that it's getting too complicated and if the writers push it a bit more, I don't think they can recover the story and they would end up bs'ing the ending. Personally, I would like chidori to end up with sagara because a captain and a soldier is inappropriate and it seems sagara likes Tessa as a friend. I'm interested as to hear your perspectives.

The biggest problem I have with Full metal panic is Sagara and his behavior in civilian world... I have never seen a undercover soldier so not undercover... he brings weapons, bio-chemical gas, bombs... and yet school mates dismiss it as him being a war fanatic... and chidori gets mad at him when he's out fighting; I think chidori should know exactly what he's doing when he's not at school. But I guess I just have to suspend my disbelieve.

Sorry for the long post, I just thought the anime was very interesting, but I feel elfen lied was better as it was short and concise, and clear in plot and direction.
Old 2006-01-22, 05:05   Link #62
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

Hmm, i thought TSR was a lot more of a love story, but the first series was a mix of love and war, the story arc of getting the Nuke back, where all of souskes teammates died, hit me hard.

I like both sides, the action/fighting and the love story and i Think FMP throughout has portrayed them well, hopefully it will keep a good mix
Old 2006-01-22, 17:38   Link #63
Edaindil

*nod nod* I concur
Old 2006-01-23, 22:44   Link #64
MandyDi
Sousuke and Kaname....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edaindil
Also, I feel that the love triangle is not necessary anymore. I feel that it's getting too complicated and if the writers push it a bit more, I don't think they can recover the story and they would end up bs'ing the ending. Personally, I would like chidori to end up with sagara because a captain and a soldier is inappropriate and it seems sagara likes Tessa as a friend. I'm interested as to hear your perspectives.
about that love triangle....

Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-24, 17:02   Link #65
Edaindil

haha awesome! I havn't read the novel yet
Old 2006-01-25, 00:59   Link #66
Animoid
So what?

Send a message via ICQ to Animoid
I think this season is more interesting than first FMP season, but not so funny. TSR is more serious than first two seasons. In TSR Sagara looks like a real man isn’t like robot without feelings.

Ps. I possible have some mistakes in this posting, because I don’t know English very well. So I’m sorry.
Old 2006-01-25, 17:26   Link #67
MandyDi
Sousuke and Kaname....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edaindil
haha awesome! I havn't read the novel yet
Its a great novel (and its relatively short too). You should read it. Have you heard of boku-tachi? its on there.

@ animoid-

Don't worry I'm sure english isnt a first langauage for many people in this forum. We're all friends here
Old 2006-01-25, 23:13   Link #68
Liquid-Fusion

Lol i guess i am like a anime noobie but just found out about TSR.

First Question

Is it out in English Dubb or subtitles

If so can you buy it yet or download it from anywere if so can someone post a link
cause i fell in love with FMP and i am dieing to see more of it!
Old 2006-01-25, 23:29   Link #69
Animoid
So what?

Send a message via ICQ to Animoid
Liquid-Fusion
It out with English fan subs. You can use some P2P clients such as eMule or Bittorent to download it.
Old 2006-01-26, 19:03   Link #70
Edaindil

@ MandyDi
thanks for the recommendation, I'll take you up on it. I was waiting for someone to tell me to read it.
Old 2006-02-15, 22:07   Link #71
masterwok

Well my favorite part was in the last episode when sosuke blow up the machine where urzu 1 was in front of the enemy.(forgot urzu 1 name.)
Old 2006-02-16, 08:54   Link #72
Crucifix

Hmm, since the last TSR discussion thread was wiped out and it was a very interesting discussion, I would say it is more on character development rather than cool fight scenes.

Most people will disagree, but I think the cool robot scenes are just an added feature to give some sort of complexity to the story, it just happens that it was well done. Many were skeptical at first since this anime incorporated action, drama, sci-fi and comedy but the chemistry is just there. Some series have it and others don't.

I would honestly think that the love triangle is secondary, what really drew me to this series is character development. Also if you already read the latest release of boku tachi on COMO

Spoiler:

I would suggest to those that just started to watch FMP to read up on the novels, so you will be able to point out how well thought of the anime is, you can compare the monologues of the novels and how they animated it masterfully.

P.S. Here is the link for the english novel translation:

http://boku-tachi.net
Old 2006-04-08, 01:09   Link #73
edgecy

First time posting on the forum, had just finished all three series of FMP. What an awesome anime! That's all, nothing else to add

edgecy
Old 2006-05-07, 15:14   Link #74
temjin747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucifix
Hmm, since the last TSR discussion thread was wiped out and it was a very interesting discussion, I would say it is more on character development rather than cool fight scenes.

Most people will disagree, but I think the cool robot scenes are just an added feature to give some sort of complexity to the story, it just happens that it was well done. Many were skeptical at first since this anime incorporated action, drama, sci-fi and comedy but the chemistry is just there. Some series have it and others don't.

I would honestly think that the love triangle is secondary, what really drew me to this series is character development. Also if you already read the latest release of boku tachi on COMO

Spoiler:

I would suggest to those that just started to watch FMP to read up on the novels, so you will be able to point out how well thought of the anime is, you can compare the monologues of the novels and how they animated it masterfully.

P.S. Here is the link for the english novel translation:

http://boku-tachi.net
I really enjoyed all the FMP seasons so far! I can't seem to add any favorite moments other than the ones already mentioned already.

Crucifix, what is the order of the novels?
Old 2006-05-08, 04:27   Link #75
grss1982

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by temjin747
I really enjoyed all the FMP seasons so far! I can't seem to add any favorite moments other than the ones already mentioned already.

Crucifix, what is the order of the novels?
Could this be one of your favorite moments?

POW!!

Spoiler:

Old 2006-05-08, 19:47   Link #76
temjin747

Quote:
Originally Posted by grss1982
Could this be one of your favorite moments?

POW!!

Spoiler:

haha...not really...that whole sequence with him was pretty weird!
Old 2006-05-08, 21:30   Link #77
Kappy

Hehe, yeah im new here so this will both be a hello! and a comment.

(spolier of course..)SO DONT READ

This whole series has actually hit a nerve with me personally. I have alot of things in my past and present that i relate (like im sure quite a few do while they watch a series) to the anime/novels. Ill admit even though im a guy, im told im sometimes too sensitive for my own good, but my favorite part of the anime has to be the first 5 minutes of ep. 13. The guys are always portrayed as the knights in shining armor, the big tough ones who if they ever fail, life it over for everybody. But sousuke went through so much(without for the most part even being acknowledged for it) that the whole series seemed to be supporting the depressing idea of sousuke being the only thing keeping this whole group of people from failing, and just those huge weights that were dropped on his shoulders were something he would just have to lock away and pretend(like he has the whole series) that nothing was wrong or he would be making the wrong choice and causing the deaths of all his friends. But obviously the way it ended, he had somebody that he could rely on to save him(from himself) when nobody, even himself.. could do it. Yeah yeah.. rant. simply put, i like the first 5 minutes because it shows leaning on somebody everyonce in a while is ok, that and sousuke finally starts acting like the man you have seen in tight situations.
Old 2006-05-09, 06:55   Link #78
temjin747

I don't know if anyone added this yet, but I love the whole car chase sequence while Sousuke is on the phone with Chidori
Old 2006-05-09, 18:42   Link #79
masterwok

well my favorite part of tsr when sousuke use arbalest to destroy the enemy, when one of his team members was being held by the enemy. it was amazing how he used the lambda drive to only destroy the emeny. actually all the whole series was amazing, but i think that it should have been longer so i can enjoy it longer.
Old 2006-05-11, 21:15   Link #80
ryaken

Send a message via MSN to ryaken
I haven't watch any FMP in about a year, but I'm currently enjoying this, just finished episode 9. I agree that episode 6 entirely good.

For me its ep6 vs ep9. The end sequence in episode 9 was very awesome. I'm not sure if it is just me, but the end felt like a scene out of Blade Runner. There's rain, neon lights all over the place, dark tone, strange micro-AS's, a few overcoats, and the music is very resemblant of the BR soundtrack. I haven't seen that movie in a while though.

About the Fumoffu series. I picked up the first Vol. of the FMP manga at the library and the story has events from the first series and Fumoffu together as the story goes along. Kinda interesting.

Last edited by ryaken; 2006-05-11 at 21:53.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, kadokawa, mecha, school life, shounen