AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-25, 22:31   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

sola to be released by Bandai Visual USA (now Bandai Ent.)

As per Bandai Visual's website, and further described in a news release on ANN, sola will be released in North America by Bandai Visual USA. The first DVD is scheduled to be available on June 10th.

Pricing and release information has not yet been released. The Japanese release was spread over 5 DVDs containing 3 episodes each, with both Limited (8190 yen) and Regular Editions (6090 yen). According to a product page, it seems the American release will be sort of a cross between these two editions, including the postcards and a reversible cover in a normal DVD case.

So, since sola can now be considered "licensed", AnimeSuki's normal rules about licensed anime apply. You may not request downloads for the show, nor may you discuss fansubs of it.
Old 2008-02-25, 22:55   Link #2
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Well, now they've done it! They've killed my interest in sola. What a shame; I actually liked the series.
Old 2008-02-25, 22:58   Link #3
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

So sola's going to sell with only subs and be very expensive (like true tears and Shigofumi)...

This is the best news ever <--sarcasm...

Hah... This sucks...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-02-26, 06:50   Link #4
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Indeed. It totally sucks that we can buy a licensed, high quality and eminently collectable version of a fun and enjoyable anime. It completely devalues the anime itself, and just isn't fair.

Honestly, if you don't want to buy it, don't. I know I will be though - Bandai's prices are higher, sure, but their presentation and content is pretty damn good, and quite frankly, the lack of dubs isn't a turn off for me at all, nor would I suspect it would bother a majority of the visitors to this forum. If you really want a luxury item, you pay for it. I'm personally saying thanks to Bandai - I never thought sola would make it overseas, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to enjoy it again, and in a format I can share and watch in a comfortable environment.

-Andiyar
Old 2008-02-26, 10:14   Link #5
Mitsu Aoi
Undine in the box T_T

Send a message via Yahoo to Mitsu Aoi
Urrghh!~ Theyre moving too fast
By the way how many shows they've licesned this year?
I wonder why they decided to make shows Licesned

Canned Tomato Soup and Avocado Flavored Noodles are her favorites.
Old 2008-02-26, 10:49   Link #6
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
Indeed. It totally sucks that we can buy a licensed, high quality and eminently collectable version of a fun and enjoyable anime. It completely devalues the anime itself, and just isn't fair.

Honestly, if you don't want to buy it, don't. I know I will be though - Bandai's prices are higher, sure, but their presentation and content is pretty damn good, and quite frankly, the lack of dubs isn't a turn off for me at all, nor would I suspect it would bother a majority of the visitors to this forum. If you really want a luxury item, you pay for it. I'm personally saying thanks to Bandai - I never thought sola would make it overseas, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to enjoy it again, and in a format I can share and watch in a comfortable environment.

-Andiyar
Not having a dub is good, because I doubt any serious anime watcher wants that. However, having a ridiculously high price kills the deal.

I want licensors to forgo the dub to keep prices low, not do less work and keep prices high anyway. As for "presentation and content," as long as they keep whatever was on the R2, that's good enough. I don't want R1 only extras, or R2 content cut out.

If region codes didn't exist, I would have imported the Japanese discs.
Old 2008-02-26, 11:36   Link #7
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
http://animeondvd.com/forum/showpost.php?post/649892/

Quote:
sola Disc Specs & Features:
• Color / MPEG-2 / Region 1 / DVD-9 / NTSC / 16:9 anamorphic / CSS
• Japanese Language Audio (Japanese Linear PCM (Stereo)) with Optional
English Subtitles
• 8-Page Full-Color Booklet and Original Postcard Set (4 Postcards per Volume)
• Exclusive Gift (TBD) for those who purchase from dot-anime.us
Title: sola Vol. 1
Format: DVD
Catalog #: BUDH0167
UPC #: 8 58604 00167 7
Street Date: June 10, 2008
SRP: $49.99
In order to enjoy the awesomeness of Matsuri, you have to chalk up $50!

*sigh*
Old 2008-02-26, 13:08   Link #8
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
http://animeondvd.com/forum/showpost.php?post/649892/

In order to enjoy the awesomeness of Matsuri, you have to chalk up $50!

*sigh*
Man... that's like S$70.22 to me. If the Americans think they're stiffed, imagine how I feel about this kind of pricing, excluding shipping.

Sigh.
Old 2008-02-26, 16:14   Link #9
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:

That's not the problem at all. The problem is that a great show like this will not be bought by many people simply because it lacks a dub track and the price point is so high. $50 and you don't even get a dub track? That will keep sola from achieving as much popularity in our country as it should have.

That sucks.

sola deserves better than this.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-02-26, 17:13   Link #10
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
That's not the problem at all. The problem is that a great show like this will not be bought by many people simply because it lacks a dub track and the price point is so high. $50 and you don't even get a dub track? That will keep sola from achieving as much popularity in our country as it should have.

That sucks.

Funny, I actually thought that sola doesn't deserve this because it isn't quite up to the must-watch level, and hence a cheaper release would be beneficial.
Old 2008-02-26, 17:30   Link #11
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
If you really want a luxury item, you pay for it.
Too bad not everyone in this world is willing to spend twice the money for half the content, no matter how much they want it.
Don't forget that one has to live too, and buy food and pay for whatever they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Not having a dub is good, because I doubt any serious anime watcher wants that.
I hope that's an opinion because that's certainly not a fact.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-02-26, 18:19   Link #12
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
$50 and you don't even get a dub track? That will keep sola from achieving as much popularity in our country as it should have.

That sucks.

I get what you're saying, and might agree if you have said "as much sales", but "popularity"? This is just me, but I don't think any anime that doesn't air on TV will ever be more popular during its DVD release than it was in its fansub days. In this day and age, given the shrinking DVD market, I seriously question how many customers there are who will buy anime sight-unseen, even at $25-30/disc and with a dub. Granted, though -- these marketing decisions certainly limit the show's sales potential, since a lot of people, on principle even, seem to be ignoring these high-priced releases. Really, the only people who seem okay with this scheme are people like myself who purchase R2 Japanese DVDs, or at least willing to consider that option. If you're in that admittably tiny group, this doesn't seem like that bad a deal (since you're basically getting the R2 DVDs, with subs, for cheaper).

In any event... limiting its sales, absolutely. But I don't think a show like this was ever destined for any real "popularity" much beyond what it already has/had. If it doesn't air on Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, or some other American linear TV station, I don't see it having that great of an appeal anyway. Not necessarily an "excuse", but just a thought.
Old 2008-02-26, 19:41   Link #13
nuaythebest

The sad thing is they ask you to pay a premium price(50$) but what you get is a (bit better than) regular version of R2 which I believe that it was the same price about 50$, base on the their press release. However , I have to agree whatrelentlessflame said, this kind of series won't ever have its day on R1 land unless BV licenses it(actually they just distribute thier own work) or waiting 2 more years for cheap MB release. BV japan is not stupid, they know that no R1 company will license this serie. So, they let BV USA has it.
Old 2008-02-26, 20:08   Link #14
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuaythebest View Post
The sad thing is they ask you to pay a premium price(50$) but what you get is a (bit better than) regular version of R2 which I believe that it was the same price about 50$, base on the their press release.
Yeah, the Regular Editions in Japan were about $55, and the English release is sort of like half-way in between the regular and limited editions in terms of extras. So I don't really regret buying the R2s, but this doesn't seem like that bad of an alternative (plus, of course, subtitles).

And really, the comments in the industry these days are that anime licensors are licensing anime for as little as 0 advance (just a portion of each disc sold). With the DVD market being down the way it is, Bandai Visual probably figures that they won't be that much worse off just selling it themselves and keeping whatever profits they make. I guess it's more a sad statement on the current state of the anime DVD market than anything else.
Old 2008-02-26, 22:37   Link #15
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Mitsui Aoi

To make money, naturally enough. I wouldn't call the past few months a huge rush either, not compared to some recent years, when anything at all seemed to be licensed. There're still a few gems I wish would come across, Mahoraba amongst them, instead of some other shows that make it to the 'West'. Perhaps eventually.

@justsomeguy

The price is naturally a concern for many. Still, the way I see this is that if you really want it, you'll find a way to afford it. Hunt for bargains online, save up, whatever it takes. Anime and other entertainment items are, as I said, a luxury. Region codes... well, personally, I'm in Region 4 where I live. I import mostly Region 1, though some Region 2 anime. Perhaps you could find a region free DVD player somewhere?

@NoSanninWa

That's a fair concern, and one I didn't consider. Apologies. But then, as rf has said, I wonder how popular sola could be even with a dub track. It is perhaps too niche to really 'make it big'. There is, however, the nice slippery slope that this argument begins to invoke, which is where to draw the line, and eventually we may have 'blockbuster' shows failing to achieve their potential based on marketing and costing decisions such as this... that could be worrisome. And I do hope that sola is well received by the public, I do. I'm just wondering, as I'm sure BV decided, whether the cost of producing a dub was worth it for the amount of people it would attract to the show.

@serenade_beta

Indeed, one must live, pay bills, rent, food, etc. I do it myself. And I do manage to buy the DVDs and such I want as well, if not immediately as I want them. Naturally, this is tempered by the fact that I'm a sub watcher and not a dub watcher, so to me this package is effectively not losing anything whatsoever for the gain in price, it is just more expensive than the norm - which, as I mentioned, I can deal with. I'm not the typical watcher, perhaps, your mileage may vary. But for those of us who don't care about the lack of a dub, and who don't mind waiting a bit to be able to afford our hobby, it's just wonderful to be able to buy the show at all.

-Andiyar
Old 2008-02-27, 09:44   Link #16
justsomeguy

Quote:
@justsomeguy

The price is naturally a concern for many. Still, the way I see this is that if you really want it, you'll find a way to afford it. Hunt for bargains online, save up, whatever it takes. Anime and other entertainment items are, as I said, a luxury. Region codes... well, personally, I'm in Region 4 where I live. I import mostly Region 1, though some Region 2 anime. Perhaps you could find a region free DVD player somewhere?
I watch things on my computer, which has a nice region-free DVD drive.
My concern is that (having watched sola through "alternative means") the show is simply not good enough for a premium price. There are better shows around, and not even they can convince me to pay more than $6 an episode.
Old 2008-02-27, 17:06   Link #17
Telliamed
sensei no pet

4 * 3 + 2 = 14.... Which means we're even getting shafted one of the specials.
Old 2008-02-27, 19:57   Link #18
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
4 * 3 + 2 = 14.... Which means we're even getting shafted one of the specials.
Where is that posted? Why wouldn't it be 5 discs with 3 episodes each, just like the Japanese release?
Old 2008-02-27, 21:07   Link #19
arkxkra
全力全開

Bandai recently licensed quite a lot of good series. as long as the quality ok then I ok
Old 2008-02-28, 10:40   Link #20
Kangai
Always in Training

I was really hoping for a cool bundle set like the DVD+manga and a nice artbox. And it would be nice if BD would start giving out extras that are things I'm not capable of printing off from my computer (like bookmarks and "art cards"). I really am a sucker for extra items, and the wallscrolls, keychains, pins, and t-shirts that I get with other anime always pleases the idiot fanboy in me. If it were $50 for a DVD+manga+(really nice extra like the OST, a shirt, or a Masturi figure) I would be all over that.
Closed Thread