AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-05, 23:27   Link #561
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

On the Dragon Princess' anime design, I'd reserve judgement until a much better image of her is shown, rather than an unfair comparison using to what amounts as a low-quality background image.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 23:39   Link #562
Xander

Some thoughts on the first episode:

The animation was okay. I haven't read the manga, so I don't have any issues with the differences in character designs that others have previously mentioned. Not having any expectations about them seems like a blessing in that respect.

Considering this show is basically playing around with archetypes, I don't particularly mind the fact that the hero is a stereotypical anime/RPG youth. It's part of the premise after all.

The real question is whether or not they'll make him do something more interesting, one way or another, by expanding his role. He can still keep a similar set of stereotypical characteristics all the way through, sure, but it would be nice to see him be put in a situation that also asks more of the character, even if the basic traits remain. It's not so much about replacing his personality as just adding to it.

Can't really say much about the rest of the cast yet, other than remarking on how the Demon King at least comes across as a better character so far, if for no other reason than she's currently the most knowledgeable and is easily calling the shots, despite her naive view of personal matters. I guess I don't expect her to radically change her basic attitude either, but again...it should be nice to see what else she can do under very different circumstances.

Fortunately, this episode was nothing more than an introduction so there is a fair amount of possibilities in the air.

We'll have to see what's up with the other characters and their personalities in the next few episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post

By the way, the voice casts for Maou and Yuusha are girlfriend and boyfriend in real life.
Unless things have changed recently, that sounds more like a rumor than anything else... but it doesn't matter to me either way.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 23:39   Link #563
Aoken
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Images
comparisons
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Aoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 23:52   Link #564
hoshino_crimsonwings

Wow! What a fantastic first episode. Very interesting plot. I have high hopes for this show!
Old 2013-01-06, 00:04   Link #565
Cyprene

Is that comparison shot of Dragon Princess a blow-up of everyone standing on the hill at 18:00 minutes in, or does it come from somewhere else?
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 00:06   Link #566
s07195
However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoken View Post
Images
comparisons
Although I'm still used to Ishida's art, I borrowed the Chinese translation version of the first novel from my friend, and I must say that after comparing toi8's artwork and the anime designs, the new designs are growing on me.

...Except for the Dragon Princess, as you said.

I see two new columns, the first one at the front is the original most basic character designs, but what's the last column?
Old 2013-01-06, 00:17   Link #567
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I don't think a super zoomed-in picture of anime!Dragon Princess is a good basis. I mean, just look Maou and Yuusha. They're not bad, actually.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 00:17   Link #568
MAX_COLA_POWER!

These endless comparisons between the animations of the series isn't gonna end is it? I have an idea, how about we make a separate thread so we can discuss the illustrations and leave this thread to discussing the actual animé, regardless of what flippin animation they decided to go with? It's getting kinda tiresome already. And there IS a manga/light novel section to discuss the art too you know.
Old 2013-01-06, 01:10   Link #569
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Or people could...you know...not post them, and report the people who do. Don't bet on a subforum. We rarely make decisions based on initial interest.
im still surprised that dxd doesnt have a subforum and after noticing some other series that gets one i just give up about it

I really like the first ep sure the DP design is awful but i can live with it (they got the breast right at least lol)
I dont know about all the scene switches though, the initial talk with the yuusha and demon queen should of been uninterupted, it was pretty damn important
Old 2013-01-06, 01:11   Link #570
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Quote:
Images
comparisons
Ishida and 4th, 5th artist's art is also good.
Old 2013-01-06, 01:13   Link #571
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I'm fine with how they decided to style everyone going into this. Of course to be fair did see the episode first so it had a lead to begin with .
Old 2013-01-06, 01:18   Link #572
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Can someone do an art comparison between the manga's and animation's useless meat.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 01:37   Link #573
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Images
comparisons
lol, how about waiting for the anime to give a nice, proper shot of the Dragon Princess before whining? If anything blame whoever was in charge of that quick cut in the OP for drawing her head weirdly. She looks okay from this side shot:

Anyway toi8 is the best. toi8 is always the best. Even his Dragon Princess is so pretty I can overlook her hairstyle.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 01:50   Link #574
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
Is that comparison shot of Dragon Princess a blow-up of everyone standing on the hill at 18:00 minutes in, or does it come from somewhere else?
It's from the OP. It's merely a fraction of a second long, however, so it's easy to miss.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 01:59   Link #575
Mangaka-chan

I thought, having read the manga, that the anime's style would take some getting used to, but it actually clicked pretty quickly for me. The OP and ED didn't stand out too much to me, but the BGM is nice and I especially like the song that plays when Yuusha asks for Maou to seal their deal. I have to admit, reading the manga before hand made it easier to follow what Maou was telling Yuusha, because the information in the anime went by at a pretty fast clip. Animation wise was ok, but I was surprised the preview only had two stills. Oh well, at least the quality in the rest of the episode (which is what counts) was alright. But the aged, watercolor-like background imagery is really pretty. I love the shot of the Winter Nation palace with Aurora Island in the distance.

And is it just me, or did anyone else think the Lady Knight was a guy at first? When I first started reading the manga I swear I thought it was a long haired bishie, and even thought it was a trap until it was confirmed in universe that this character is in fact a female. ^^;

Oh, and does anyone know how many episodes this show will be? I think it's supposed to be 12 episodes long. But judging by the ED images, I'm not sure how they're going to wrap everything up in just 12 episodes.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 02:18   Link #576
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
And is it just me, or did anyone else think the Lady Knight was a guy at first? When I first started reading the manga I swear I thought it was a long haired bishie, and even thought it was a trap until it was confirmed in universe that this character is in fact a female. ^^;

Oh, and does anyone know how many episodes this show will be? I think it's supposed to be 12 episodes long. But judging by the ED images, I'm not sure how they're going to wrap everything up in just 12 episodes.
The female knight looks like a girl to me. If they want to draw bishounen, they would emphasize his height. His facial shape would look more sharp.

I think it was mentioned earlier. Some let it slip. Although the one season is confirmed, they are not excluding the possibilities of two seasons.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 03:22   Link #577
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
I thought, having read the manga, that the anime's style would take some getting used to, but it actually clicked pretty quickly for me. The OP and ED didn't stand out too much to me, but the BGM is nice and I especially like the song that plays when Yuusha asks for Maou to seal their deal. I have to admit, reading the manga before hand made it easier to follow what Maou was telling Yuusha, because the information in the anime went by at a pretty fast clip. Animation wise was ok, but I was surprised the preview only had two stills. Oh well, at least the quality in the rest of the episode (which is what counts) was alright. But the aged, watercolor-like background imagery is really pretty. I love the shot of the Winter Nation palace with Aurora Island in the distance.

Welcome to the club. I actually expected her to be a bishie because looking at her you know, yep-v-, she's gonna be a bitter, jealous, tsundere, flat, I sacrificed my femininity for strength, type of female knights that not even cute freckles on her face can save from being utterly annoying.
Old 2013-01-06, 03:47   Link #578
Mangaka-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Welcome to the club. I actually expected her to be a bishie because looking at her you know, yep-v-, she's gonna be a bitter, jealous, tsundere, flat, I sacrificed my femininity for strength, type of female knights that not even cute freckles on her face can save from being utterly annoying.
I don't think she's annoying at all, at least not from the manga adaptation I've read. If anything I think she's quite a likeable character. Sure she doesn't like it when people joke about her chest size, but is over all a mature, friendly, and confident woman who kicks serious ass.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 03:48   Link #579
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver

The first time I saw her was on the official anime character page. I assumed she was female based on a few visual cues:

1. She's about half a head shorter than the youthful looking Hero. Bishounens like that are usually really tall.

2. Her braid is draped in the front. Bishounens, if their hair is braided in a twist, are usually left in the back unless it's a scene that emphasizes the hair.

3. She has freckles. Bishounens are usually too impossibly beautiful to have such "imperfections."

Then I went to the character page and saw her named Female Knight.

I liked her from her one scene in the episode so far. She seems quite open about being behind the Hero 100%--contrast this with the Female Mage, who complains about him in a half-affectionate manner even when he's not there. Of course, Female Knight's attitude might change in his presence, especially when she realizes he's bound to the Demon King. She does have a temper, but let's be honest it, the Old Archer asked for it.
Old 2013-01-06, 04:00   Link #580
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard Duck View Post
The first time I saw her was on the official anime character page. I assumed she was female based on a few visual cues:

1. She's about half a head shorter than the youthful looking Hero. Bishounens like that are usually really tall.

2. Her braid is draped in the front. Bishounens, if their hair is braided in a twist, are usually left in the back unless it's a scene that emphasizes the hair.

3. She has freckles. Bishounens are usually too impossibly beautiful to have such "imperfections."

Then I went to the character page and saw her named Female Knight.

I liked her from her one scene in the episode so far. She seems quite open about being behind the Hero 100%--contrast this with the Female Mage, who complains about him in a half-affectionate manner even when he's not there. Of course, Female Knight's attitude might change in his presence, especially when she realizes he's bound to the Demon King. She does have a temper, but let's be honest it, the Old Archer asked for it.
True dat, but you gotta give the old man some slack, in a forest for a while, you get bored, you gotta make up a joke about the closest thing towards you so you don't die of boredom. It's a matter of life and death, of your attention span. Which also reminds me, all this talk about useless meat this and useless meat that, but, in the end, in a unique, she did get what she wanted right? Granted it wasn't because of the meat 100%, but since she did get what she wanted, can't we upgrade the meat to, adequate/helpful meat?

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem