Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-03-09, 04:47   Link #141
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Is anyone reading the official English release by Viz?
I read the first volume a couple of weeks ago and I just recieved volumes 2-5 from Amazon, and I am ripping through Vol. 2. Can anyone tell me if the translation quality improves any in the later volumes? Currently pretty much every other bubble contains "dude" or ends in "man" or contains "hip" lingo that just sounds like some old person trying to be cool. It's ridiculus and results in me often groaning out load at how corny certain speech bubbles sound.
Wonderfull story and even though I already know whats going to happen thanks to the anime and movie it's interesting to see how the manga differs from the other two mediums.
Old 2007-03-11, 17:50   Link #142
Tatsumiko
*Artist

I saw scans of the manga...its fantasticly drawn...it looks so real..and I really didnt knew it was from a live action serie..^_^

but sad enough...I found the the cover scans very frightning...(especailly sweetie-nana's smile)...and on other scans I saw most of them smoking and the girls being all boy-crazy...I didnt get a good feeling looking at them......for the love of manga WHY!!!!!...but I do see its all very close to reality..amazing...so maybe ill watch it when im older...gao ^^''
Tatsumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-20, 20:44   Link #143
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Well I eventually answered my own question: Yes the translation quality does improve in later volumes (Vol. 4 is where it starts to improve) of Viz's English version of the manga. However they still occasionally drop a "man" or "dude" or other "hip" lingo. Can't wait for Volume 6!
Old 2007-04-09, 06:07   Link #144
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Mastermind:. View Post
I like Nana, but it's getting pretty (too..) long. >.<
I completely agree. I've been enjoying the ups and downs so far, but now I'm just getting tired. A & B, or is it B & C, or maybe C likes D, who likes A, who might have had a crush on C in the past but is in love with B now. Geez, enough already. I've made it up to cha 65, now I think I'm going to just wait for this manga to end and then marathon the rest.
Old 2007-04-11, 06:25   Link #145
midori93suiseseki

*The Takumi story manga special was already released last Feb... I wanna read it! Chapter 66 must be released too. NEED NANA desu~!!!*
midori93suiseseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 11:46   Link #146
Nervous Venus

I don't know where I can get COOKIE FRESH from. Amazon.co.jp never listed it. So I won't be seeing Takumi's story until it shows up as a bonus extra in the tankoubon ;_;

I'm waiting for issue 6 of COOKIE to come out at the end of the month, so whenever it arrives, if anybody wants, I can scan in sneak previews : ) Of course, it'll be in Japanese, though.

I have a feeling NANA is winding up soon. I'm not following the English, but it's already on V17, and they seem like they are getting closer and closer
Spoiler:
. There was a Hachi/Nobu "moment", which gave me a flicker of momentary happiness. Nobu was
Spoiler:

But I can still keep my hopes up.
Nervous Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 04:55   Link #147
AnimeFangirl

Hmph, read chapter 66. Talk about revealing too much too soon. If this manga is winding down, then the sooner it ends the better. Those flashes of the future are bloody annoying. Get to the point already, why don't you?
Old 2007-04-15, 13:59   Link #148
Cassi90

Oh Nana is a great Graphic novel! It's really original I say. For once the main charachter doesn't get all the guys fawning over her like in others, which makes it more realistic. I want to see the drama real bad. Nana O. is da bomb! ;D
Cassi90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 12:05   Link #149
sinnie

After watching the live action movie, anime and manga all in a week (even though I'm having my papers soon), I need to get this out of my system!

I'm sorry guys, I don't know whether this is even going to be related to this thread, but...

Spoiler for I NEED TO TALK ABOUT TAKUMIXHACHIXNOBU!:
sinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 17:31   Link #150
AnimeFangirl

I think he likes her well enough and is fairly fond of her, but doesn't love her. All excuses aside, you don't
Spoiler:
if you really love them. At least, I hope you don't.

Apart from the nastier aspect, though, I think Takumi's perfect for her. Nana K really needs a tougher, more rational kind of guy rather than one that will pander to her every whim and baby her constantly. She needs to be brought down to earth from time to time. It's a bit like her friendship with Jun, really.
Old 2007-04-25, 03:30   Link #151
Chavenz
CHA-LA! HEAD-CHA-LA!

Spoiler for wondering about ch66:
Chavenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 13:10   Link #152
mytrivo
A Sucker for Romance

Since you used spoilers I will to:
Spoiler for ch66:

Last edited by mytrivo; 2007-04-26 at 13:33.
mytrivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 02:47   Link #153

With Viz ending Nana in August does this mean the Japanese run is coming to an end as well?
AvatarAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 14:45   Link #154
mytrivo
A Sucker for Romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarAlpha View Post
With Viz ending Nana in August does this mean the Japanese run is coming to an end as well?
Viz isn't ending Nana completely. They're only ending it's monthly run in Shojo Beat magazine. The last line of the news article says that they're still going to publish the graphic novels.

I'm hoping since we won't have to wait for each chapter to appear in Shojo Beat first that we'll get graphic novel releases a bit more frequently.
Old 2007-06-02, 19:57   Link #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrivo View Post
The last line of the news article says that they're still going to publish the graphic novels.
My bad. Missed that line. What chapter is the Japanese run on now?

I don't mind reading the spoilers here, but I'm not reading the chapters themselves because I don't want to truly spoil the anime like I did Naruto .
AvatarAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 02:33   Link #156
mytrivo
A Sucker for Romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarAlpha View Post
My bad. Missed that line. What chapter is the Japanese run on now?

I don't mind reading the spoilers here, but I'm not reading the chapters themselves because I don't want to truly spoil the anime like I did Naruto .
I'm pretty sure chapter 68 is the latest one published in Japan. I think that should be in volume 18 when the tankoubon comes out later.
Old 2007-08-08, 01:58   Link #157
TenshiHime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
I think he likes her well enough and is fairly fond of her, but doesn't love her. All excuses aside, you don't
Spoiler:
if you really love them. At least, I hope you don't.

Apart from the nastier aspect, though, I think Takumi's perfect for her. Nana K really needs a tougher, more rational kind of guy rather than one that will pander to her every whim and baby her constantly. She needs to be brought down to earth from time to time. It's a bit like her friendship with Jun, really.
I agree with you...Nobu treats her too much like a princess and though they make a cute couple, I dont think it would have lasted because then Hachi would have never matured due to the constant spoiling treatment from Nobu. Takumi is very cute with her sometimes, but his anger problems balances it out perfectly so that shes not constantly on cloud nine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnie View Post
After watching the live action movie, anime and manga all in a week (even though I'm having my papers soon), I need to get this out of my system!

I'm sorry guys, I don't know whether this is even going to be related to this thread, but...

Spoiler for I NEED TO TALK ABOUT TAKUMIXHACHIXNOBU!:
OMG!!!!! good to know that someone else is debating over this as I have.... heres my theory ......

Spoiler for :
TenshiHime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 10:25   Link #158
mdauben

Just some random thoughts of my own regarding your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnie View Post
Spoiler for After the Party:
Spoiler for My Impression:

Quote:
Spoiler for Second Meeting:

Quote:
Spoiler for That Fateful Night:

Quote:
Spoiler for The Offer:

Quote:
Spoiler for The second time:

Quote:
Spoiler for Those Thee Words:

Quote:
I'm sorry for such a long entry, but simply put, I'm confused. I'm really growing to like the takumiXhachi pair, but it's so frustrating sometimes.
I'm just the opposite. I hate Takumi and his relationship with Hachiko makes me sick. This may cause me to interpret everything he does in the worst possible light, but I have really seen nothing to make me think I might be wrong about him yet.

Quote:
The thing is, does possessiveness not equate to love?
To my mind, the answer is an unequivocal NO! Possessiveness is all about your own wants and desires. To me, true love is when the other person's wants and desire become more important that your own. For example:
Spoiler for An Example:

I have never seen Takumi put Hachiko's needs first, except when it did not conflict with his own desires or was done for ulterior motives of his own.
Quote:
To talk about hachi and nobu, I really like this pair too. They were so sweet together and it was probably this time that hachi finally knows how to love (because it was the first time she thinks about the other party in the relationship, like she wants to pamper him and stuff).
I agree that the both of them were somewhat immature when they started their relationship. However, I think they (especially Hachiko) were showing signs of maturing and if circumstances had been different I think they might have been able to grow up in their relationship together.
Spoiler:

Quote:
I'd still wish takumi would express his NEED for hachi (maybe hachi could really get pissed for once and leave him only to find him begging for her return or SOMETHING),
My "dream ending" for the series would be for Hachiko to finally leave him for Nobu, and for him only then to realize that he did love her and that he lost her entirely becuase of his own actions. Perhaps I'm just vindictive, but I would love to see him end up alone and suffering after all the rotten things he has done to Hachiko.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Hachiko is totally the victim in the story. She often seems to take ethe easy way out, she has a habit of taking advantage of others rather than taking responsibility for her own actions, and she seems to enjoy the material benefits of being married to a rich celebrity too much for me to feel unqualified sympathy for her. Still, I don't think she deserves half of the physical and emotional greif Takumi causes her.

Last edited by mdauben; 2007-08-08 at 12:41.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 18:48   Link #159
Miku
*//~~\\*

Send a message via AIM to Miku Send a message via MSN to Miku
I love Nana!

I've only read the first two volumes, but I think it's great. One of the reasons I decided to read it was because I'm reading ParaKiss, and their both by Ai Yazawa, so I figured I'd read it. Sometimes the way they talk gets on my nerves a little, but the art is great and the story is equally awesome.
Miku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-09, 13:31   Link #160
ShikaShika
無罪

Could anyone tell me how the manga compares to the anime? I finished the anime, but wasn't too thrilled about the direction it took for the last half. Does the manga differ in any way, and if so, in what way (I don't mind mild spoilers, but please hold the major ones unless important).
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote