AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 30 27.78%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 34.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 8.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.93%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-28, 19:56   Link #81
shinku no kage
:Still Yayoi's Onii~chan:

Seems like everyone got their time in the spotlight in this ep...including Konata's dad. LOL

Kagami...so...agressive. (._.) Tsukasa seems to still be taking all the good parts again just as in ep6 and 7 though. Hmmm...she may soon take my #2 place solo instead of a tie between her and Konata. Miyuki-san...she won the relay. (^O^);
Konata is the same as always though.

...Konata's dad, Soujiro-san. A man who has no shame....LOL

...a couple of the other "Lucky Star" chars finally made an appearence too. ^^
Old 2007-05-28, 20:00   Link #82
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I love that part with Tsukasa imagining herself the onee-san. Funny and deep and gives such a sisterly feeling. What if....

And I just checked "Current Anime" for the total number of posts in the AnimeSuki Lucky Star forums: they have now surpassed the total number in the Death Note forums (5524 to 5501 when I checked). And Death Note is a popular show that had a six-month head start.
The problem the Death Note anime had is that it was based off a popular manga that a lot of people had already read. There wasn't too much to discuss with the anime beyond "Hey my favourite scene looks great animated". Now Lucky Star is based off a manga that I think only Vexx and I and maybe a few others have read (There are like 9 posts in the LS manga thread), so there are a lot of fresh things to discuss.
Old 2007-05-28, 20:51   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye... I should be doing a better job of tracking which parts of the manga they've animated (and which are anime-only bits). ... adds it to the already impossible list of things to do.
Old 2007-05-28, 20:56   Link #84
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Sure, they could spend the money and get other companies popular products like Death Note or Nodame, or they could just go with the group that is helping to produce the show that is going to give them the rights to use it cheap.
If it's product placement, though, shouldn't the other publishers be paying them?

Quote:
I liked some of the little visual tricks, I guess from the storyboard: the long direct view of the top of Konata's head at the start of the race, and the heads of KKandT at the bottom of the frame as they walked down the school hallway.
The presentation of the sports festival was similar to the summer break episodes. They use it to show off their animation. Seems to me they're more comfortable with these themed jokes than the one-off scenes presented in a 4-koma way. IOW, KyoAni is paradoxically better the more complex the animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
- Tsukasa does something so Moe the entire universe melts.
It was rather warm this weekend. And here I thought it was greenhouse gasses.
Old 2007-05-28, 21:41   Link #85
krln99

Just to see who's really an old man around here, who remembers playing Konami Track and Field on the NES (or Famicom) and/or the arcade?

I count myself among that crowd!

You truly haven't lived until you spent some time in front of this bad boy:

http://www.centuri.net/tracknfield.htm
Old 2007-05-28, 22:11   Link #86
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by krln99 View Post
Just to see who's really an old man around here, who remembers playing Konami Track and Field on the NES (or Famicom) and/or the arcade?

You truly haven't lived until you spent some time in front of this bad boy:

http://www.centuri.net/tracknfield.htm
It was called Hyper Olympic outside the US.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?...H&game_id=8165
Old 2007-05-28, 22:31   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That was early or mid 80s I think... I probably walked right by it in favor of the more fantasy/sci-fi inflected games (like Gauntlet or some such stuff). At the time I was writing software for aerospace flight simulators so arcades were starting to lose their pizzazz for me since I was getting a better clue about what was possible (like 3-d virtual environments) .
I had one of the early IBM PCs at the time (as did a few of the engineering group I was with) and we'd written a space war simulator for it in our spare time (taking the Space War idea of combat around a gravity well, but the screen was from the POV of the pilot and there were two computers connected over serial cable so two people could combat each other).

If only we'd run with and patented that idea....
Old 2007-05-28, 22:37   Link #88
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
The problem the Death Note anime had is that it was based off a popular manga that a lot of people had already read....
Actually, I would think that would more likely be a stimulus to posting than something that stopped people posting. Readers of the manga certainly continue to post about the similarities and differences. But even though more people have read and loved that manga than this, they still constitute a small number compared to those who watch the anime, I believe.

I note that in the voice actor threads for both -- something that would have nothing to do with the manga -- there are 32 posts in the DN thread and 141 in the LS thread. And Hirano Aya is in both, whereas Death Note also has Miyano Mamoru, a rising star, and Yamaguchi Kappei, a risen one, each of which has his own fans.

Personally, I think the fact is just that this anime is much more popular with the AnimeSuki crowd than that one. Maybe it's the moe. Maybe it's the humor. Maybe it's something to do with Death Note. I myself was following it for a while, but have lost interest.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-28, 22:47   Link #89
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... I should be doing a better job of tracking which parts of the manga they've animated (and which are anime-only bits). ... adds it to the already impossible list of things to do.
Syu-ta is tracking this on his luckystar page.

Quote:
Personally, I think the fact is just that this anime is much more popular with the AnimeSuki crowd than that one. Maybe it's the moe. Maybe it's the humor. Maybe it's something to do with Death Note. I myself was following it for a while, but have lost interest.
Or it could just be a bad comparsion since the number of Death Note posts fell far off from its peak when the license was announced. Also, this show gets a lot of semi-trivial posting since it is slice of life while death note doesn't since it is fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
If it's product placement, though, shouldn't the other publishers be paying them.
This depends on what they are going to animate and where. For example, if they want to put in a gundam, they have go to pay for the rights to show a gundam. However, if Apple comes up to them and says "we want konata playing mmo's on a mac", Apple might have to pay to get them to put it in (and then they will ahve to negotiate about the logo which isn't neccesarily required).
Old 2007-05-28, 22:50   Link #90
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
..."we want konata playing mmo's on a mac"...
Oh man, you have no idea how much I'd love that... and how impossible it is that it'll ever happen.
Old 2007-05-29, 00:19   Link #91
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Combination all of the above. Death Note isn't Moe and moe get's people talking, it goes through a rather dull arc after a certain character dies, and people probably lost interest after it was licensed.

Plus if you want a personal opinion, Death Note isn't all that great after a very specific arc, it should have ended there, but it keeps going quite a while afterward. Also like Bayaob said, Lucky Star can generate 5 times the amount of fluff discussion that Death Note can any day.

Plus, Lucky Star has something that Death Note doesn't have, me posting in its sub-forum. I talk a hell of a lot.
Old 2007-05-29, 00:27   Link #92
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I must admit, Kaioshin_dono is correct on every single point in his last post.
Old 2007-05-29, 00:42   Link #93
ImClueless
Rawr

Lucky Star isn't even that bad in terms of fluff posts. Take a look at the Nanoha forum. The posts count is fast approaching that of the Haruhi forum even if you take away the posts from the first two series and Haruhi was supposed to be a phenomenon. I don't know is Nanoha is more moe than Lucky Star, but its generating crazy post counts (for Asuki at least).
Old 2007-05-29, 01:09   Link #94
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No, the Nanoha threads are completely off in another dimension of tech-magic babble discussion. Lots of fun if you're designing an FPS or tabletop RPG -- but almost useless from a story or relationship discussion aspect.

I just watch the show and decline to comment other than rating the episodes.
Old 2007-05-29, 01:14   Link #95
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImClueless View Post
...I don't know if Nanoha is more moe than Lucky Star, but its generating crazy post counts (for Asuki at least).
And for 2channel in Japan, where it has around 150,000 posts. Lucky Star has around 100,000, and the next is Gurren Laggen at 70,000 or so, with others far behind. With the tremendous success of Nanoha characters in the SaiMoe tournament, I'd say that Japanese otaku find that show pretty moe. I don't find it either particularly moe or particularly interesting, but that's cool.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-29, 01:27   Link #96
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Nono, MSLN is not so much about the moe, but the shounen GAR it has. Takamachi Nanoha was in SaiGAR after all. Trying to use moe as a reason to explain its popularity is pointless. Its likeability has more to do with its shounen elements. Just look at the Naruto, Bleach and One Piece forums. The only difference is in the gender of the title characters.

With nicknames like White Devil, Blazing General and Scarlet Iron Knight; we're not exactly talking about "cute-type" moe here.

It is about the Trinity of shounen. GUTS, COURAGE, and PASSION.

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-29, 01:29   Link #97
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Nono, MSLN is not so much about the moe, but the shounen GAR it has. Takamachi Nanoha was in SaiGAR after all. Trying to use moe as a reason to explain its popularity is pointless. Its likeability has more to do with its shounen elements. Just look at the Naruto, Bleach and One Piece forums. The only difference is in the gender of the title characters.

With nicknames like White Devil, Blazing General and Scarlet Iron Knight; we're not exactly talking about "cute-type" moe here.

It is about the Trinity of shounen. GUTS, COURAGE, and PASSION.

Cheers.
Yeah I think Nanoha took out Zaisen Jotaro, but was beaten by Gatts. Also Amuro Ray is the White Devil, nobody else can have that title without a fight to the death with the Hi-Nu Gundam.
Old 2007-05-29, 02:45   Link #98
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Moe... is the last thing on my mind when I watch Nanoha

There's something about pissed off young women wielding artifacts that can blow holes through spacetime ... and it isn't moe

Obviously.... I'm going into a combined Kagami/Konata/Tsukasa withdrawal .... need an ep 8 fix to restabilize.
Old 2007-05-29, 02:52   Link #99
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Moe... is the last thing on my mind when I watch Nanoha

There's something about pissed off young women wielding artifacts that can blow holes through spacetime ... and it isn't moe

Obviously.... I'm going into a combined Kagami/Konata/Tsukasa withdrawal .... need an ep 8 fix to restabilize.
[Deadpan]

The 5th season of MSLN when they're all above 40yrs old.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha: PMS
[/Deadpan]

And to keep a measure of on-topicness in this post...

"Kagami! They stopped talking about me!"
~~~~ ~~~~

Cheers.
Old 2007-05-29, 02:55   Link #100
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krln99 View Post

I actually remember some bits of it.

Quote:

Plus, Lucky Star has something that Death Note doesn't have, me posting in its sub-forum. I talk a hell of a lot.
I like Death Note a whole lot. I just avoid the whole section to stay clear of spoilers.

Ahh, I wanna see Miyuki's race already!