AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-08-21, 11:58   Link #1
NeoSam

Hoshi no Umi no Amuri (Amuri in Star Ocean)

星の海のアムリ
Hoshi no Umi no Amuri
AMURI IN STAR OCEAN

An OVA.

Official anime site:
http://www.amuri.jp/

Original Work, Director, Script: Yonetani Yoshitomo
Character Design, Modeling: MA@YA
Music: Kubota Mina
Animation Production: STUDIO HIBARI CG Team

Characters and their seiyuu:

Amuri: Makino Yui
Perrier: Saitou Momoko
Suzu: Aizawa Michiru
Maria: Noto Mamiko
Purumo: Matsumoto Marika
Ukatan: Kaneda Tomoko / Kobayashi Kiyoshi

A promotional video from Comic Market 72 can be watched here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75vfHNSoIJ0

A seinen manga will start serialization in the January 2008 issue of the seinen(young men's) manga magazine Dengeki Daioh (released on November 21, 2007).

Original Work: region free
Drawn by: Inase Shinya

Last edited by NeoSam; 2007-12-07 at 18:39.
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-21, 16:18   Link #2
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
A promotional video from Comic Market 72 can be watched here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75vfHNSoIJ0
Everything, including the characters, is CG? At least it looked so, I'm not sure that I like that at all...

Well, it looked pretty insane. Shuttles, explosions, cakes, sunflowers, girls floating in space... what.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 04:43   Link #3
NeoSam

The official site for Hoshi no Umi no Amuri anime is now working:
http://www.amuri.jp/

AMURI IN STAR OCEAN is the title in english for this anime.

The bishoujos are pretty moe. I can't wait to see how the manga will turn out in Dengeki Daioh.
Old 2007-09-15, 12:54   Link #4
jcdranzer
Sky King!!!! XD

Hoahi no Umi no Amuri is gonna be a 3-episode OVA.

Episode 01 Release Date: 21st December 2007
Episode 02 Release Date: 22nd Feburary 2008
Episode 03 Release Date: 27th June 2008

jcdranzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 13:02   Link #5
Shana

So, it'll be Loli?

It seems...
Old 2007-12-07, 18:17   Link #6
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Stars Makino Yui, which is great. Also has Noto Mamiko and Saitou Momoko, which is also great. But the seiyuu I am most looking forward to hearing is Aizawa Michiru, the middle-schooler who played Furoe in Simoun. No-one but me liked that character, partly because of her harsh voice, but I am looking forward to hearing the young lady in another role -- that of Suzu.

Looks as if eyepatches are the moe accoutrement of choice these days: Chihiro in ef, as well as Perrier (Saitou Momoko) here.

The official site, slow Flash as it is, has an interesting feature on the characters page: 360-degree VR of each main character. The site says that sometime in the near future, an increase in solar wind activity leads to skin cancer and other problems on Earth. At the same time, a new kind of human called "adapters" (all moe girls for some reason) are born. The site emphasizes the total use of 3DCG and talks about the beginning of a new era in animation.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-12-07 at 18:37.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-07, 20:19   Link #7
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Is this the end of 2d animation BIGSHOCK? I sure hope not. Allthought his doesn't look bad. Looks like CG & cell shaded mixed together.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-20, 02:11   Link #8
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Not long to wait, since the show comes out on Friday, but I thought I'd mention that if you click the links on the right-hand side of this page on the official site, you can see various bits of preview that are clearer than the cam version.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-12-28, 02:54   Link #9
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

There is an announcement on the official site saying that the release of DVD#1 has been delayed "due to various circumstances."
Old 2008-04-02, 17:29   Link #10
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

A TV special about the show was broadcast on Monday night. You can find it on Nico Nico Douga here.

Release date for the actual first episode is now 23 May.

EDIT: Interesting TV special. Lots of interview with the director, and with some of the staff, and with Makino Yui, Aizawa Michiru, and Saitou Momoko, the stars. But also with Hirano Aya, who has a secondary role as Femina, a "big sister" character (I had no idea).

The physics and biology look pretty weird and interesting. Did I see the characters floating through each other? They are a new type of humans who can live in outer space, it appears.... Linda Nagata's novel Vast did that more convincingly, with scales for skin, but this is maybe more visually appealing, lol.

A show that is almost all 3DCG will take some getting used to. Like watching a high-grade Hatsune Miku video that's 22 minutes long. Some great explosions, but the movements of the girls will take the getting used to.

Everyone seems to be approaching the show seriously, with good ideas about the characters, and the comic is serialized in Dengeki Daioh. I thought the delay from December was because of production problems, but maybe they were lining up publicity elements, in the form of Aya and Daioh.

The nicovideo comment stream was surprisingly positive, it seemed to me. Maybe that's partly because the show could be subtitled "3DCG super-lolis save the human race."

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-04-25 at 20:35.
Old 2008-04-20, 17:12   Link #11
bayoab

Saw the first two episodes today at New York Comic-con. Let me get this out of the way first, I did not like the show because there was an unnecessary amount of fanservice and one the main character's hauu~ got grating on the ears after the first twenty times. That said, the show was very very weird.

The plot was sort of interesting. It wasn't new or anything, but it was an interesting take on it. The whole magical girls with super powers has been done time and time again, but they still managed to work some good dark elements into it and different stuff. Their powers weren't exactly original but they weren't exactly recycled either. It was an interesting touch with all the things they could do with them. The dark elements were really what made the show interesting to me. There was some really great potential there. (There are some really stupid moments too though.)

Visually, it was great. It looked absolutely great ignoring the fanservice.

Musically, it was very meh. The songs were all forgettable.

A quick summary of it is more like "3D lesbian magical girls save everyone and everything".

The voice acting hurt my ears for the most part. The three main characters were annoying, but all of the side characters were good.

Now, onto the complaining:

There were some very annoying elements to it. I will go into spoiler tags now:
These spoilers are very minor for the most part and do not spoil anything major. My first griped, "scenes" that repeated over and over.
Spoiler for Repeated scenes:

And the major gripe: This show had way too much fanservice of young girls. The series can be called "Triad bait". I would use another phrase involving the acronym P.W.D, but lets not open that can of worms. The magical girl transformation scenes itself weren't the problem. They are almost required for a magical girl show. The problem is what happened before and after.
Spoiler for Magical girls:

Here is the live watching feed just for fun. There are some spoilers in it:
Spoiler for Feed:

Last edited by bayoab; 2008-04-20 at 17:26.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 15:32   Link #12
Mef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
much fanservice of young girls

I NEED TO WATCH THIS ANIME NOW!!!!!!
Mef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 18:24   Link #13
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well, this must be the season that fetishes are used in non hentai titles. This is the third title I've seen so far this season that has done this. I have to see this one just from that description alone.

DVD 1 is being released on 5/23/08 apparently. Hopefully, the delay was a good thing.
Old 2008-04-25, 12:05   Link #14
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Hmmm, 3D lesbian magical girls, eh? Though it worries me that Bandai Visual is releasing it in Japan which gives the U.S. division more chances to release it here themselves at a ridiculously high price.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 20:06   Link #15
orion

Well that's what happens when you want it now. As with most things in life, sooner is more expensive.

I hope it sees a Blu-ray release.
Old 2008-05-24, 23:40   Link #16
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

The DVD of episode one came out yesterday, but all I have seen so far is the preview version that was streamed a month ago.

The show was very, very "different" and quite entertaining, largely for its eye candy of explosions and pinball in space, as the lead girl -- I mean "adapter" -- kept bouncing off things with a flash of light. Everything is CG, including the people.

The voices are quite moe, with Makino Yui as Amuri leading the way, accompanied by Aizawa Michiru, and by Saitou Momoko, who didn't get to say much. Other familiar names in smaller roles are Noto Mamiko and Kaneda Tomoko. Hirano Aya didn't appear in episode one. There are a couple of pleasant insert songs.

It's partly because I didn't understand everything that was said, partly because of the strange new world, and partly because the "story" was fairly obscure, but this was not the easiest show to understand.
Spoiler for ep1:
Maybe it's just that the streamed version was small-format, but the fanservice level didn't seem as high as some comments suggested. Many shows have as much as this did. It felt more like Nanoha than Kanokon or even Moetan, at least so far, unless this streamed version was tamer than the actual DVD. Maybe you could say it's close to Moetan.

EDIT: But I can understand someone being put off by the incessant tiny super-moe voices. If you like such things, they're good versions, but for people who don't, they would be a trial. The show is probably best for moe fans, despite the CG eye candy.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-05-25 at 15:49.
Old 2008-06-03, 11:33   Link #17
orion

In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

I had to get that off my chest.

That transformation scene was so cute and slightly naughty. The Sentai got pwned by the bad guys. The eyecatches in the middle of the program. This show is not taking itself seriously and not for the kiddy crowd.

Amuri's back story is quite sad and is interspersed with the her fighting scenes.

Animation is great and should definitely get a Blu-ray release.

Too much is being made over those accidental kisses. I thought it was quite funny. Nothing romantic about it at all but need the subtitles to verify this.

Waiting for the subs to fully understand episode 1.
Old 2008-06-12, 19:47   Link #18
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So this is a science fiction anime by the guy that created Gaogaigar, Betterman and Brigadoon and features loli characters?! This seems almost to up my alley, what's the catch?

Though I guess this means no more Gaogaigar and Sekai No Senki at least for the forseeable future.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 20:40   Link #19
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So this is a science fiction anime by the guy that created Gaogaigar, Betterman and Brigadoon and features loli characters?! This seems almost to up my alley, what's the catch? ....
The catch is trying to figure out what the heck is going on in the story. But I enjoyed it anyway. There is a hint of weird Macross when the insert songs start. I'm dumbfounded that so few people seem to have watched it. And disappointed that no sub has shown up yet, as far as I know, in either English or Chinese.

EDIT: Oh, and another catch is that it's all in 3DCG. You either like that or you don't.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-06-13 at 12:36.
Old 2008-06-12, 20:52   Link #20
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
So this is a science fiction anime by the guy that created Gaogaigar, Betterman and Brigadoon and features loli characters?! This seems almost to up my alley, what's the catch?

Though I guess this means no more Gaogaigar and Sekai No Senki at least for the forseeable future.
Really? then I might try this out and I hope that this show will be decent, since this might be a reason why there hasn't been any news for Project Z.

Tags
loli