AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2008-05-19, 18:29   Link #201
Wesley84

So what you're saying is Sheryl's singing didn't reach the earring until days afterwards?
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 18:45   Link #202
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

No, but I'm not convinced that it was the singing that was reaching the earring - although it may have reached the beacon the previous recon VF-171's dropped to relay data before they got destroyed. The Fold delay may have been hours, rather than days, but it doesn't mean that the events had to happen at the same time, or that couldn't have been another concert as we don't see Ranka with her Valkyrie backpack (IIRC) in Episode 6, when she's running to the concert.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 18:49   Link #203
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Why getting all technical about that. In my opinion, that was anima spiritia at work, and is obviously magic

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 18:53   Link #204
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
No, but I'm not convinced that it was the singing that was reaching the earring - although it may have reached the beacon the previous recon VF-171's dropped to relay data before they got destroyed. The Fold delay may have been hours, rather than days, but it doesn't mean that the events had to happen at the same time, or that couldn't have been another concert as we don't see Ranka with her Valkyrie backpack (IIRC) in Episode 6, when she's running to the concert.
She had the backpack when she watched them depart.
Old 2008-05-19, 18:56   Link #205
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Why getting all technical about that. In my opinion, that was anima spiritia at work, and is obviously magic

- Tak
This is Macross and serious business, Tak. Every time somebody tries to bring up your above point, in the Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Magitech thread, in discussions on a show about Magical Girls, he's steamrollered into onblivioun by the tech discussion and Holy Stadia Ranging.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 18:58   Link #206
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

- Tak
Why? Because this is MACROSS!

Anything that involves the power of singing and love and transforming mecha draws that.
Old 2008-05-19, 18:59   Link #207
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
This is Macross and serious business, Tak. Every time somebody tries to bring up your above point, in the Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Magitech thread, in discussions on a show about Magical Girls, he's steamrollered into onblivioun by the tech discussion and Holy Stadia Ranging.
Excuse me, there's someplace I have to be now.
Old 2008-05-19, 19:02   Link #208
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

*facepalm* Dear god not the second coming of ark.

Anyway the nicer place to be is the Nanoha OC thread. A little bit of madness (ignore kha, he takes the dumb singaporean stereotype to extremes), lots of 40k refs which kha persists in writing, and some pretty good writing all around.

We're still working on getting kha to tone down the 40k and spiral energy refs. He's not listening.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-05-19, 19:03   Link #209
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Excuse me, there's someplace I have to be now.
Hey, at least nobody's discussing things about Feito-chan and her massive bust upgrade, or about a certain gloved-girl's GaiGaoGar-inspired henshin sequence and how it matches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose
Anyway the nicer place to be is the Nanoha OC thread. A little bit of madness (ignore kha, he takes the dumb singaporean stereotype to extremes), lots of 40k refs which kha persists in writing, and some pretty good writing all around.

We're still working on getting kha to tone down the 40k and spiral energy refs. He's not listening.
Just be thankful it's not Haruhi-ism and the related WH40K quotes that can be made about the God-Empress. If you want flame wars with a Thorian bent...
Old 2008-05-19, 19:09   Link #210
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Hey, at least nobody's discussing things about Feito-chan and her massive bust upgrade, or about a certain gloved-girl's GaiGaoGar-inspired henshin sequence and how it matches...
No, we just get things like Ark and TK arguing over guidance and ark's insistance that the poor ergonomics of magical staff device things mean that Nanoha's maximum range is limited to 100 meters thanks to the holy stadia ranging he uses, and that all mage combat takes place within 100 meters.

Nevermind that the M4A1 and M468 have identical ergonomics and don't shoot to the same ranges, as do the SCAR-L and SCAR-H.

Quote:
Just be thankful it's not Haruhi-ism and the related WH40K quotes that can be made about the God-Empress. If you want flame wars with a Thorian bent...
That's what's kept me out of the Haruhi thread. Dear god the insanity... Kha was heavily influenced by them though. He turned the liberal Saint Church into the Ecclesiarchy, complete with Inquisition, Grey Knights, and was in the midst of making mecha and shit to be used.

He even made Voltaire, a summoned dragon, into a summoned mecha. Oh and for his planned work Rebuilt of StikerS, he had Vita and Graf Eisen henshin into Goldion Hammer for Subaru to use.

But yeah, Haruhi-ism is crazy. Is Jason still sore on how the Haruhiists dissed Gurren Lagann?

Anyway... something interesting I note: the recon VF-171s all use hugeass AWACS radomes and long downward pointing ESM "blades". Shades of Yukikaze, them blades. Anyway I find it curious that they're using such bigass radar dishes on recon units... then again in space you probably need hi-def radar images instead of just visual images that present-day recon birds collect.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-05-19, 19:22   Link #211
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
No, we just get things like Ark and TK arguing over guidance and ark's insistance that the poor ergonomics of magical staff device things mean that Nanoha's maximum range is limited to 100 meters thanks to the holy stadia ranging he uses, and that all mage combat takes place within 100 meters.

Nevermind that the M4A1 and M468 have identical ergonomics and don't shoot to the same ranges, as do the SCAR-L and SCAR-H.
Well, that's what happens when you mix magic with gadgets - total mayhem. I won't even go into why I think the beam-spam style attacks make little sense, versus concentrating power on a shield to collapse it...

Quote:
That's what's kept me out of the Haruhi thread. Dear god the insanity... Kha was heavily influenced by them though. He turned the liberal Saint Church into the Ecclesiarchy, complete with Inquisition, Grey Knights, and was in the midst of making mecha and shit to be used.

He even made Voltaire, a summoned dragon, into a summoned mecha. Oh and for his planned work Rebuilt of StikerS, he had Vita and Graf Eisen henshin into Goldion Hammer for Subaru to use.

But yeah, Haruhi-ism is crazy. Is Jason still sore on how the Haruhiists dissed Gurren Lagann?

Anyway... something interesting I note: the recon VF-171s all use hugeass AWACS radomes and long downward pointing ESM "blades". Shades of Yukikaze, them blades. Anyway I find it curious that they're using such bigass radar dishes on recon units... then again in space you probably need hi-def radar images instead of just visual images that present-day recon birds collect.
And you're talking to someone whose Haruhiist tendencies make him a staunch Amalthian tendencies... as a certain blog's entries make clear (you've referenced Jason's blog here, and if you search some heretical posts there, you'll see what I mean). You do NOT want to bring that up.

The RVF-171's probably have those bigass radars to show that they're a) out of date compared to the smaller ones on the RVF-25, and b) to show they're collecting all sorts of data... and to make them a tribute to the Cats Eye units of the original Macross which were similarly prone to destruction (remembering a certain asteroid field) on some missions.
Old 2008-05-19, 19:23   Link #212
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Ya guys need a good joke, and just go "haha"

Quote:
Yes, but do remember, this is also the same franchise that spawned... *in a low voice* Macross 7.

In all seriousness, in an era where fold communication is common, such a feat (Sherry singing through the necklace) would not have been impossible, at all. Although do admit it, there were magical elements in what happened in Episode 7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose

Just remember, the Zjentohlauedy would have plowed through the Imperium 10 times and over before the Imperium of Men realize what hit 'em. Then again, by that time, there would be nothing standing except maybe some medieval boarder worlds...

I don't think its something your 'friend', KH, would entertain.

I am just glad Macross isn't about some naive anti-war sentiment that is drilled through our heads over and over and over and over and over again in Gundam.

- Tak (W40K is a comedy, it really is...)
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 19:27   Link #213
SymphonicRain

Quote:
Anyway I find it curious that they're using such bigass radar dishes on recon units... then again in space you probably need hi-def radar images instead of just visual images that present-day recon birds collect.
I suspect it does more than just transmitting images, but analysing/scanning images from a distance as well which Luca had demonstrated in episode 7

Last edited by SymphonicRain; 2008-05-19 at 19:47.
SymphonicRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 19:32   Link #214
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
how strange that i'm a retired WH40K player (lack of spare time to paint models and stuff), a faithful Haruhiist (Yuki/Kyon Fraction) and what do you know? A Macross fanatic.

hmm......

*goes look for Kha posts*

....then again......i think im too old for all those enlarged text formatting and liberal face.gif and keep up

Old 2008-05-19, 20:15   Link #215
Wesley84

Quote:
Actually it was my intention to start something by writing Nanoha off as just magic. Pissing off fans off that series would please me to no end.
Old 2008-05-19, 21:11   Link #216
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

ok...

So after watching Ozma battle prowess I'm guessing they really did fix almost all the flaws in the armored pack. Even Alto (who is a good pilot) could barely keep up in a super pack.

I also loved the targeting system for the armored pack missile. Looks like the same target designation tech Focker used with his anti missile weapons in Macross Zero.
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 21:24   Link #217
SymphonicRain

Quote:
So after watching Ozma battle prowess I'm guessing they really did fix almost all the flaws in the armored pack. Even Alto (who is a good pilot) could barely keep up in a super pack.
It may also be due to Ozma capable of charging aggressively at full speed instead of pilots usually needing to slow down due to being busy or distracted in dodging enemy fire.

Another plus for the Armored pack is also that unlike the first generation's pack, this one is capable of transformation resulting in more flexible speed and mobility.

Personally, I always felt the armored pack serves better as a role of support than one of an attacker. I mean, charging at an enemy with a Valkryie strapped with explosives doesn't sound smart at all and one well aimed shot at any parts that are stacked with dozens of missles will simply results in a chain reaction fireworks huh.
Old 2008-05-19, 21:32   Link #218
Wesley84

Alto was complaining about armor in episode 7. What did he mean exactly? Was flying so close behind an Armor Paked VF some kind of problem?
Old 2008-05-19, 21:43   Link #219
SymphonicRain

Alto meant that he has difficulty keeping up with Ozma, hence he said "As if I am going to be left behind!".
Old 2008-05-19, 21:44   Link #220
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Alto was complaining about armor in episode 7. What did he mean exactly? Was flying so close behind an Armor Paked VF some kind of problem?
No, he was just annoyed Ozma was outmaneuvering him in an Armored VF-25, compared to his super VF-25 (Which likely should be faster and more maneuverable).
Blue Reverie is offline   Reply With Quote