AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-12-29, 02:07   Link #41
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

You have to also count / guess at Myammar's population. The gov't is not forthcoming with the actual dead or even close to counting. Also, parts of Indonesia is under terrorist control (Marxist control) so gov't cannot tally the # of dead nor can they seperate the # of people actually killed or were executed and the Tsunami dug up the mass graves. It's going to be a long and ardious task. Also, there will be many bodies totally "lost at sea."

As to AzureSky's comment, I agree with planning for the future. Even though there are lots of people lost, progress must still be done to generate income. There will be many people who need money - it does make the world go around. If no money can be generated, people cannot buy medicine (espeically with the virus/bacteria outbreaks that are sure to come), shelter, fresh water and food, and so forth. It's going to take years. Look at Japan's Kobe quake in 1995. In one of the most Industrialized countries, Kobe is starting to get back to normal. There's still a lot of rebuilding to be done but you get the drift. In poorer nations, this rebuilding is even more important. Many communities were totally wiped out, islands disappeared, nations destroyed. It's going to be hard but it has to start somewhere.

On the emotional side, rebuilding also gives people hope of a future. Also, through rebuilding, they will uncover humans remains and families reunited (whether better or worse). It's a form of closure.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 02:09   Link #42
Inuzuka
now with 20% more ego!

Send a message via MSN to Inuzuka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
Pfeh, when WTC went down they said there would be over 10.000 dead. In the end there was less than half of that so I would guess the same applies here: 5.000 dead. And this time there isn't Bin Laden to blame... or is there?
Update again. Apparently the reported death toll went up again, around 60 000 people, dead.

I know what you're trying to get across, but some may find your post a little insensitive. The situation is also somewhat different this time as well, the 60 000 people who would be dead, are dead.
Inuzuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 05:55   Link #43
Kal-Rhael

Send a message via MSN to Kal-Rhael
my moms giving me 50$ today, im going to send 30$ of it to the red cross to aid in the relief effort, bah the hell with it, i'll send it all the heck do i need money for, i'd only use it to please myself.
Kal-Rhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 06:06   Link #44
Palani
///_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-Rhael
my moms giving me 50$ today, im going to send 30$ of it to the red cross to aid in the relief effort, bah the hell with it, i'll send it all the heck do i need money for, i'd only use it to please myself.
Respect.

Just gave something to the Cooperating Aid-organisations that work here in The Netherlands to aid those people in dire need of help. And since I know some people from there this is one of those cases that you just can't let go by without doing something about it, being it financial aid or anything else to help really.
Palani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 06:14   Link #45
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
Excuse my Bluntness..

But Natural Disasters are nothing more then the Earths way of culling the overpopulated human herd.
You might have seen this coming but, If your Father, Mother, 2 Sisters and your little brother were hanging upside down in a palmtree, in their swimming clothes, drowned. Dumped in the back of a truck, Stored in a gymcourt. And If you don't come within 2 hours to indentify them. They will be buried with around 2000 people in the save pit to prevent your little brother from spreading cholera to the rest of the people. I bet my booty you would't say: "Oh shucks, Well it was about time nature culled the overpopulated human herd. No helping that!"

So really, your bluntness is not excused, wheteter you give a fuck or not.
Old 2004-12-29, 07:05   Link #46
Palani
///_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
You might have seen this coming but, If your Father, Mother, 2 Sisters and your little brother were hanging upside down in a palmtree, in their swimming clothes, drowned. Dumped in the back of a truck, Stored in a gymcourt. And If you don't come within 2 hours to indentify them. They will be buried with around 2000 people in the save pit to prevent your little brother from spreading cholera to the rest of the people. I bet my booty you would't say: "Oh shucks, Well it was about time nature culled the overpopulated human herd. No helping that!"

Word, my exact line of thinking when reading his post, wasn't able to put it in to words though.

Natures disasters are off course nothing that we can help but to put off this Human tragedy as something you consider not to be a big loss to society, I'd say stand in line first next time they hand out feelings.
Palani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 11:23   Link #47
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle

You know nothing about me or my outlook on life you presumptuous ass. You don't know how I react to in family death, nor anything else for that matter.

And excuse me for being the only one seeing that the Earth can not support this bulging population means are required to lessen the numbers and the strain on the planet.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 12:25   Link #48
sothis

dude, i'm all for the old "the earth is too populated and needs to cut down on the amount of humans in it" idea, but this whole situation still makes me ill to think about 80,000 people (the toll has risen) at LEAST who died in this one tragedy. i'm as callous as anyone about over-population, but for fuck's sake, i can't see how you wouldn't even feel mildly sad about this incredible loss of life.

i'm with animizzle. i can't possibly believe that you wouldn't feel like shit if someone you knew (a best friend, a lover, ANYONE besides your family if you don't give a shit about them) died in this incident. you mean to tell me if your best friend died while vacationing here, you'd sit back and think "wow, that sucks, but hey, population control!" if you say yes, i propose you are lying out your ass. no one is THAT dead inside.
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 13:00   Link #49
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
That is about exactly what I would say, and you have no right to say I'm lying because YOU don't know ME.

I don't understand why all you people are so hung up on death, You have no idea whats on the otherside ,if there even is anything. For all you know they could be much happier now.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 13:09   Link #50
sothis

i'm sure all of your friends would be very comforted and happy with your friendship if you told them that.

same with a potential girlfriend.
sothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 13:14   Link #51
Testing321

The news service originally thought that 10,000 died in the WTC on 911, because that is how many worked in those buildings on an average buisness day. The death toll numbers went down as people began to realize that most workers escaped from the buildings after the first plane hit, and before either building collapsed. If both buildings had collapsed imediately, the death toll would indeed have been 10,000+.

Meanwhile, for the current much larger disaster, the death is liable to keep rising, not go down. This is because there is nobody around to report many of the people who have come up missing, and some of the lost will never be found. Also, I tend to regard all human life equally, whether they are in Sri Lanka or New York.
Testing321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 13:26   Link #52
ff7799
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Sannin
Man the least we can do is pray for the dead or send aid over, cus right now most of the aid they are getting is coffins,

about the earth quake it was phenomenal "It was the strongest earthquake to hit anywhere on Earth since March 1964... "

it also caused water levels to rise in countries to the east like yemen, where sudden water rise caused an additional 4 people to drown...
The U.S. government is screwed up, we can waste 100 million dollars on every Black Hawk Jet that crashes in iraq, we can spend almost 1 billion dollars a month over their yet when people in third world countries need help we send them pennies, right now coffins seem to be their best bet of aid from the U.S., the government or should I say bush is stingy, I mean over 100,000 people are now speculated to have been killed and the U.S. government is talking about spending only 35 million, the stingy bastards, like you said all we can do is pray for them and their families and disease can be quick to spread right now so the after effect could leads to thousands more dieing, I'am ashamed to be a american right now, or better yet to serve under an idiot president like ours that cares more about war than human life, whats sad is that in a few days someone will probably post on animesuki regarding the death of a loved one, so many people have died that its just a shocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testing321
The news service originally thought that 10,000 died in the WTC on 911, because that is how many worked in those buildings on an average buisness day. The death toll numbers went down as people began to realize that most workers escaped from the buildings after the first plane hit, and before either building collapsed. If both buildings had collapsed imediately, the death toll would indeed have been 10,000+.

Meanwhile, for the current much larger disaster, the death is liable to keep rising, not go down. This is because there is nobody around to report many of the people who have come up missing, and some of the lost will never be found. Also, I tend to regard all human life equally, whether they are in Sri Lanka or New York.
I thought the same thing regarding the world trade centers and the inconsistent numbers however it seems that they are actually confirming dead at this point and listing unconfirmed as missing which means that it will keep rising which is simply terrible and if theirs possible another 100,000 people missing then the numbers will just keep going up, I honestly think that this may impact the world population at the end of this, if over 100,000 people die then the world population growth rate can be thrown off by around 0.0001 now while that doesn't seem like much please note that 100,000 = 1,000,000 future people, in other words the impact will also lower the future population numbers, and whats worst is that this could be just the begining since disease may soon run rampant.
ff7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 14:07   Link #53
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
The U.S. government is screwed up, we can waste 100 million dollars on every Black Hawk Jet that crashes in iraq, we can spend almost 1 billion dollars a month over their yet when people in third world countries need help we send them pennies, right now coffins seem to be their best bet of aid from the U.S., the government or should I say bush is stingy, I mean over 100,000 people are now speculated to have been killed and the U.S. government is talking about spending only 35 million, the stingy bastards, like you said all we can do is pray for them and their families and disease can be quick to spread right now so the after effect could leads to thousands more dieing, I'am ashamed to be a american right now, or better yet to serve under an idiot president like ours that cares more about war than human life, whats sad is that in a few days someone will probably post on animesuki regarding the death of a loved one, so many people have died that its just a shocker.
The US is the biggest contributor in terms of aid to third world countries. They contributed 16 billion to the UN's OECD (Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development) last year. They are also consistently one of the top funders of other projects such as the aids epidemic in africa, food aid, etc... The US ain't stingy. 35 million is most likely going to rise, but even so its not like the US is made of gold. Each country can only provide as much as economically possible and whether you like the Iraq war or not, we also need to continue to provide funds to make sure our soldiers over there don't die. You also need to keep in mind that the US isn't the only one providing monetary aid to those countries affected. Not only are other countries giving economic aid, but people from countries around the world are also making donations to organizations that are providing aid as well.

As for the aftertoll of this event, I am really hoping that they can contain and control diseases like maleria effectively to reduce any possible future deaths. I feel absolutly horrible about this whole event. My best friend is over in Cambodia and I'm crossing my fingers that she didn't lose any family and that she won't be effected by this.

I too am gonna donate some money later today.
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 14:17   Link #54
ff7799
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixfire92983
The US is the biggest contributor in terms of aid to third world countries. They contributed 16 billion to the UN's OECD (Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development) last year. They are also consistently one of the top funders of other projects such as the aids epidemic in africa, food aid, etc... The US ain't stingy. 35 million is most likely going to rise, but even so its not like the US is made of gold. Each country can only provide as much as economically possible and whether you like the Iraq war or not, we also need to continue to provide funds to make sure our soldiers over there don't die. You also need to keep in mind that the US isn't the only one providing monetary aid to those countries affected. Not only are other countries giving economic aid, but people from countries around the world are also making donations to organizations that are providing aid as well.

As for the aftertoll of this event, I am really hoping that they can contain and control diseases like maleria effectively to reduce any possible future deaths. I feel absolutly horrible about this whole event. My best friend is over in Cambodia and I'm crossing my fingers that she didn't lose any family and that she won't be effected by this.

I too am gonna donate some money later today.
Dudet are you for real, I agree america does allocate funds to help the world organization relief overall yearly however right now they aren't putting in all the funds that they can, after so many people dieing you would expect them to pledge around 100,000 million dollars and also start discussing rebuilding. Their are so many people devistated we don't need another samalia on our hands and hearts. Jeez a place like Cambodia doesn't even have a great economy now imagine the after effect of this, these people will have no jobs and no food, their small economy is now gone, they can only hope for relief aid to live off. Grr my University has alot of missionary workers over their, its going to hit us all hard if we hear that anyone is missing or confirmed dead. The schools still hasn't emailed us anything regarding their situation either, they probably don't want us to panic and rush back.
Old 2004-12-29, 14:35   Link #55
sinistral
SOS団

Update : 80,000 confirmed dead.
sinistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 14:49   Link #56
ff7799
Banned

Update : Death Toll Surges Above 100,000

"The death toll in the tsunami disaster soared past 100,000 today - and is set to climb higher.

A total of 50 Britons are now confirmed dead and at least 100 are unaccounted for after tidal waves swept away resorts in Thailand, Sri Lanka, India and around the Indian Ocean."

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/art...0Standard&ct=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral
Update : 80,000 confirmed dead.
Old 2004-12-29, 14:55   Link #57
phoenixfire92983

Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
Dudet are you for real, I agree america does allocate funds to help the world organization relief overall yearly however right now they aren't putting in all the funds that they can, after so many people dieing you would expect them to pledge around 100,000 million dollars and also start discussing rebuilding. Their are so many people devistated we don't need another samalia on our hands and hearts. Jeez a place like Cambodia doesn't even have a great economy now imagine the after effect of this, these people will have no jobs and no food, their small economy is now gone, they can only hope for relief aid to live off. Grr my University has alot of missionary workers over their, its going to hit us all hard if we hear that anyone is missing or confirmed dead. The schools still hasn't emailed us anything regarding their situation either, they probably don't want us to panic and rush back.
haha, I hope I'm real ^ ^! Anyways, like you, I would like to see more money put towards this and like I said above it will most likely increase. No one really knows the full extent of the damage yet. What's most important right now is getting aid to those who have lost families and homes, and trying to prevent any diseases from manifesting and killing thousands more. That doesn't even begin to include rebuilding. If I didn't consider this a big deal, I wouldn't be donating money on top of what the US already contributed to help aid those people. But also like I said above, we also have a big obligation to our soldiers stationed around the world. This disaster couldn't have come at a worse time because now the US is pulled to fund both the relief fund in southern asia and they also need to continue to fund their soldiers so that losses can be prevented at both ends. Their aid for southern asia will increase, that I guarentee, but how much I is what I don't know.

As for Cambodia, as far as I've heard, damage seems to be minimal. I'm just worried that my friends family is ok because she has some family in other countries like Thailand. Best of luck to you and your university as well. I hope that everyone is ok.
Old 2004-12-29, 14:58   Link #58
Sepiraph
Arayashiki

I find it a bit strange that there wasn't more warning given. I'd have expected that the geologist and seismologists would have able to see something that big coming once the EQ happened.

After a bit of googling around...

A brief scientific overview of the EQ and the tsunami warning that follows:
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/s2357.htm

A computer animation from NOAA (requires QuickTime):
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/video/t...esia12-2004.qt

Apparently it took a few hours for the tsunami to travel from the epicenter to Sri Lanka and the surrounding regions, although they don't seem to have any advance warning system like those set up in Hawaii or Japan.
Sepiraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-29, 15:05   Link #59
phoenixfire92983

From what I've heard on the news, there was such little warning because there isn't a effective warning system from the Indian Ocean. CNN stated that it was very costly for the southern asian countries since tsunamis occur so infrequently. Australia is supposidly looking into a warning system again and will probably propose one later this year.
Old 2004-12-29, 15:19   Link #60
ff7799
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixfire92983
From what I've heard on the news, there was such little warning because there isn't a effective warning system from the Indian Ocean. CNN stated that it was very costly for the southern asian countries since tsunamis occur so infrequently. Australia is supposidly looking into a warning system again and will probably propose one later this year.
You mean Propose one next year lol.