AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2013-04-23, 21:41   Link #241
judasmartel
*Author

Yeah, it's interesting how Touma defeats his opponents not through sheer power (and, yes, you guessed it, plot armor) but through smart use of his extremely useful but very limited ability.

And come on, so women want FREAKING GENDER EQUALITY? Touma gives them just that. Women deserve to be hit in the face when they do something evil just as much as the men, you know.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 21:54   Link #242
Goldzero

thats what makes kamijou great. sure he may have plot armor but these days most MC seems to be relying on them just as much if not MORE and touma has reasons and explanation to why his opponents lose in their fight which helps make it more understandable and the fact that precog helps him time his opponents move which is proven he doesn't rely on PIS. but CIS i'm not to sure about that.

Last edited by Goldzero; 2013-04-28 at 21:14.
Goldzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 22:02   Link #243
judasmartel
*Author

Well, I could accuse Touma of having CIS on his side, but come on, if mages and espers fight by the only way they know and it's their first time seeing a walking death machine that can cancel everything they throw at him and does not go down no matter what they do to him, can you really blame them?
Old 2013-04-23, 22:14   Link #244
Goldzero

no i agree. maybe at the beginning touma had no plot armor but later on throughout the story he began to rely on it including CIS(though its still debatable on the plot armor part but CIS that part is true)..
Old 2013-04-23, 22:18   Link #245
judasmartel
*Author

Well, back to topic, if there's one thing I like about the dub, they dodged a bullet on this one:

They renamed "Roman Catholic Church" into "Church of the Cross". It isn't so obvious at first, but "Church of the Cross" is so much better than anything like "Church of Rome".

If they used anything like RCC or Church of Rome, expect to see a lot of fireworks. It's rather odd they used "English Puritan Church" for the Church of England, but I guess the Puritans aren't really that popular nowadays, I guess.
Old 2013-04-23, 22:27   Link #246
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

But I want to see fireworks...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 22:28   Link #247
Goldzero

im not gonna argue with that statement because it sounded somewhat odd to me when they say roman catholic church rather then church of the cross. they really did made some improvement compare to at least some parts in the sub. but i felt like the dub was quite decent sure some of the voice actors for a few characters sound off but touma and styl were good(especially styl you have to admit it sounded quite menacing for his character).
Old 2013-04-24, 02:59   Link #248
judasmartel
*Author

JudasMartel's English Dub Voices Review

THE HOT
+++++ Micah Solusod as Touma sounds freaking awesome, and as an added bonus, he doesn't have his trademark catchphrases anymore, and they were replaced by something even more awesome! I could have asked for JYB as Touma, asides that there's nothing else I could ask for.
+++++ The two other members of the Delta Force, Aogami and Tsuchimikado, especially the latter. I think they sounded really badass, and even better, they call Touma "Kami", which could translate to "God" for the imaginative!
+++++ Misha Croitsef aka Angel Gabriel. If anyone wants to sound like a real angel of God, they should sound like her.
++++ As mentioned above, Robert McCollum as Stiyl. He doesn't have any British accent here, though, but I guess that's asking for too much.
++++ English version of Kaori Kanzaki. Sounds like a true blue action girl to me.
+++ Monica Rial as Index. She sounded much cuter than Yuka Iguchi-san IMO, but as a result sounded more annoying as well. Can I say "Sandy Fox should have been Index" here?
+++ Brittney Karbowski as Mikoto is an odd case. While she sounds like a bratty teenager, it fits Mikoto because she IS a bratty teenager. Yeah, it's really like that.

THE NOT
++ Dubcelerator is a real downer. He doesn't sound as arrogant and ruthless as the original Japanese version. At least he could do it just fine, but as somebody said, it's a combination of the English dubber being a newbie and of Nobuhiko Okamoto-san being really that good.
++ The Misaka clones, including Last Order. While they got the syntax right, the intonation didn't sound right. The intonation was supposed to be placed after the end of the speech quotation, not at the end of the sentence. Moreover, the Misaka clones (except LO) didn't sound robotic (but they ain't robots, right?), while LO sounds too mature for her physical appearance. But at least I could enjoy LO saying "Misaka Misaka says!"

Spoiler for For example:

+ Kuroko Shirai, can you please sound a little bit more narcissistic?

Sorry, I haven't heard Kazakiri and Sherry Cromwell yet.
Old 2013-04-24, 03:02   Link #249
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I probably should ask this in the beginning but where did you watch these?
Old 2013-04-24, 03:14   Link #250
OverNOut
The Obsever

I'm curious, why is nobody talking about the Railgun English dub?
OverNOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 07:39   Link #251
ProvidenceBreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
They renamed "Roman Catholic Church" into "Church of the Cross".
This is incorrect. They refer to Christianity as the Church of the Cross. Dubbed Stiyl very clearly says "Roman Catholic Church" in the Deep Blood arc several times. The only significant change I noticed in the dub was Annihilatus is renamed to Annihilation Survey. They get everything else right, for the most part.

The biggest problems with the dub overall are Accelerator, pronunciation and poorly spoken dialogue. A good example of the bad dialogue is when Stiyl implies his actual name means "Strong" rather than his magic name. The whole thing felt like a rush job. The actors obviously weren't given time to adjust to their roles or perfect the delivery of their lines. Railgun's dub is much better, but I think they chose poorly in casting Saten.

Quote:
They nailed their roles.

Last edited by ProvidenceBreaker; 2013-04-24 at 08:45.
ProvidenceBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 04:01   Link #252
Goldzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
But I want to see fireworks...
i don't know how does fireworks come into this topic.
Quote:
JudasMartel's English Dub Voices Review

THE HOT
+++++ Micah Solusod as Touma sounds freaking awesome, and as an added bonus, he doesn't have his trademark catchphrases anymore, and they were replaced by something even more awesome! I could have asked for JYB as Touma, asides that there's nothing else I could ask for.
+++++ The two other members of the Delta Force, Aogami and Tsuchimikado, especially the latter. I think they sounded really badass, and even better, they call Touma "Kami", which could translate to "God" for the imaginative!
+++++ Misha Croitsef aka Angel Gabriel. If anyone wants to sound like a real angel of God, they should sound like her.
++++ As mentioned above, Robert McCollum as Stiyl. He doesn't have any British accent here, though, but I guess that's asking for too much.
++++ English version of Kaori Kanzaki. Sounds like a true blue action girl to me.
+++ Monica Rial as Index. She sounded much cuter than Yuka Iguchi-san IMO, but as a result sounded more annoying as well. Can I say "Sandy Fox should have been Index" here?
+++ Brittney Karbowski as Mikoto is an odd case. While she sounds like a bratty teenager, it fits Mikoto because she IS a bratty teenager. Yeah, it's really like that.

THE NOT
++ Dubcelerator is a real downer. He doesn't sound as arrogant and ruthless as the original Japanese version. At least he could do it just fine, but as somebody said, it's a combination of the English dubber being a newbie and of Nobuhiko Okamoto-san being really that good.
++ The Misaka clones, including Last Order. While they got the syntax right, the intonation didn't sound right. The intonation was supposed to be placed after the end of the speech quotation, not at the end of the sentence. Moreover, the Misaka clones (except LO) didn't sound robotic (but they ain't robots, right?), while LO sounds too mature for her physical appearance. But at least I could enjoy LO saying "Misaka Misaka says!"

Spoiler for For example:

+ Kuroko Shirai, can you please sound a little bit more narcissistic?

i beleive if they just remove touma usual catchphrase "such misfortune" and added something else then he would probably have even less haters but thats just a guess and i have to admit touma dub voice seems to really suit him(though sounds somewhat emo).
Old 2013-04-28, 21:02   Link #253
ProvidenceBreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldzero View Post
i beleive if they just remove touma usual catchphrase "such misfortune" and added something else then he would probably have even less haters but thats just a guess and i have to admit touma dub voice seems to really suit him(though sounds somewhat emo).
They didn't remove his catchphrase. He says "Just my luck". It's a difference of interpretation.
ProvidenceBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 21:13   Link #254
Goldzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post
They didn't remove his catchphrase. He says "Just my luck". It's a difference of interpretation.
thats what im stating if they just used those simple words, its sounds somewhat less whiney and more of a serious tone in my opinion.
Old 2013-04-28, 22:36   Link #255
OverNOut
The Obsever

Too bad he never said his other catchphrase in S1.
Old 2013-04-28, 23:45   Link #256
Goldzero

what was his old catchphrase in season 1 again?
Old 2013-04-29, 00:01   Link #257
OverNOut
The Obsever

He only used his "such misfortune" catchphrase in S1 and started using his "I destroy those illusions" in S2. That's at least according to my memory if I'm not mistaken.
Old 2013-04-29, 00:03   Link #258
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

He has been using them all ever since the beginning.

Depending on who you ask, his third catchphrase would be "I dont need a reason to help."
Old 2013-05-01, 11:41   Link #259
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

ANN A Certain Scientific Railgun Review
Old 2013-05-01, 12:41   Link #260
Nighty40

I wonder when Funi is going to pick up season 2
Nighty40 is offline   Reply With Quote