2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-04, 06:35   Link #81
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
Im with WD on this one.. I am enjoying the show thus far but at the same time some areas are seriously quite lacking which unfortuntately im not holding AGE far above seed verse... Cant put my finger on it but generally on agreement with most poster here in regards of story telling.
Agreed, i feel the same way

Quote:
Hopefully next segment they will start pick up the pace and more dynamite story telling. At this point im hoping it will turn out like ZZ where the first half was *ok'ish* then 2nd half went back towards more gundam'ish story telling.
That'd be nice, but at the same time we're going to have 3 main characters, and the base one is feeling a bit empty, what im worried over is that instead of getting 3 rushed main characters we will get 3 twodimensional characters that are as boring as flit is right now, he just feels empty.

I hope the storytelling improves for the 2nd generation, but i am starting to highly doubt that, sofar this show has taken alot of bad turns when it had great potential.

It's like having a train constantly run at half the speed for no particular reason at all
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 11:12   Link #82
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I thrive on bluntness, however I completely disagree with the way in which you and others seem to be approaching this show. My only response would be why not give a 50 episode show time and allow it to unfold it's tale? Especially when there's some very displeased people that have made their intent to follow it through to the end regardless of how apparently awful it is very clear. At that point that's basically what your doing, giving it the whole 50 episodes, but if in committing to watching the whole thing you're not going to give it it's fair due than I really don't understand how their can be any goal other than to just watch to gripe.
Well, there's a couple of reasons, really. One being what WD said, we're hoping it might surprise us, although chances of that are getting slimmer. So in other words, it could redeem itself, and I'd hope so, but seriously doubt it.
For me, the other reason is that unless I have seen it, I have no right to say it was crap. Same reason I read Twatlight all the way to its idiotic end. Now, I obviously don't do that for every fictional work that isn't up to snuff, don't have the time or interest- just the ones that are insanely popular for no reason (like Twilight) or that I expected better from, like Gundam- things that you normally get some sort of quality from. Nothing to do with it being Gundam specifically, could be anything.

Quote:
Personally though I fail to see where these bland battles are, I actually quite like the score and find it fitting, feel that the core cast (Flit, Emily, Grodek, Yurin) is deeper and their fates more intertwined than people are giving it credit for, and feel they are doing everything to foreshadow that there is very much more to what's going on than meets the eye and that this factor will very shortly come into play.
Well, watch a battle from a previous Gundam show and compare. The score is simple and leaves no impression, if you're ok with that kind of stuff, good for you- To me it sounds like a low quality, cheap out-of-a-tin score, and by no means could you compare it to that of 00 (not perfect, but very good for a TV series), or Unicorn that can hold its own against non-animation scores.
How is the core cast not two-dimensional? Yurin is the typical sweet orphan in distress that the main character is infatuated with for absolutely no reason at all other than to fabricate drama.
Flit is the typical hero of lame kiddie shows, more or less a massive "please paste your face here"- what's so deep about him?
Emily is some kind of girlfriend. That's really all there is to her.
Grodek is the "glorious mutineer" (hahaha), who will either die or be praised. Wow, so deep.
If we're not giving the show enough credit, then you might be reading too much into it, maybe. I don't think this show is ever going to be very deep or surprising... :/

Quote:
Age's selling point is the multi-generation thing by the way though, and how the different generations and factions interact with and see the same situations through different viewpoints and approach them from different angles based on their value systems and the situations they grew up with. Yeah some of these portrayals like Don's could be a little childish at times, but it is a kids show and it is there as a core theme.
Agree, that's supposed to be it's selling point. It's more of an empty promise point by now though, or an emergency reset button, like someone pointed out so fittingly. Problem is, this hasn't been used in any impressive way.
It's being written like a kid's introduction to different viewpoints and values- and I, as a kid, would've been insulted to be presented the subject this way. Sorry, but I watched intelligent shows back then that didn't try to child-proof what they were trying to say. And if I had kids, I'd have them watch something cooler or smarter or just plain better because I doubt they'd be satisfied with this either.

Quote:
If I had to guess this arc is all about building the scenario for everything that is yet to come in the next couple of generations, that's another reason why I feel the show at least deserves the time to play it's main gimmick in full.
we all hope that. We're still watching for some reason, be it to watch the disaster happen or hope for improvement, or hanging on to the reset button.

Quote:
Well this is a Gundam show so I guess people would find that grating in this particular case. Swear to god people get really nit picky when it comes to this franchise and find the silliest little things to gripe about and this one is one of the all time greats in the making. I'm trying to envision a scenario where any place else that would be a major issue and I'm coming up with nothing.
Again, nothing to do with that. We find it annoying because it's an uncomfortable sound. Nearly have to forward these scenes because it makes me feel really uncomfortable. It's what I imagine that infamous Pokemon episode must've felt like. But as you can see, sounds are subjective, some people aren't bothered by it. Just because something doesn't bother you doesn't make it silly, I'm sure there's sounds or visuals you don't like, scratching on chalkboard maybe. It's kind of like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post

That'd be nice, but at the same time we're going to have 3 main characters, and the base one is feeling a bit empty, what im worried over is that instead of getting 3 rushed main characters we will get 3 twodimensional characters that are as boring as flit is right now, he just feels empty.

I hope the storytelling improves for the 2nd generation, but i am starting to highly doubt that, sofar this show has taken alot of bad turns when it had great potential.

It's like having a train constantly run at half the speed for no particular reason at all
couldn't agree more with this, pretty much sums up how I feel about the show as well.
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 14:38   Link #83
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I also still didn't notice any sort of annoying bridge sound in the episode I watched, but then again I haven't seen the annoying Emily character that people claim to have been seeing since the start of the series so I guess I must be watching a different show. That said I'm definitely prepared to label the apparent annoying bridge sound as the Gundam AGE nitpick of the week.
If nothing else, I have to agree with this. I've noticed the sound that plays on the bridge since day one, but the sound is so toned down and easily ignored that it never occurred to me that that sound was what everybody was talking about being annoying until I rewatched this episode and confirmed that that's the only sound that's playing on the bridge at all. I guess it could be called a matter of perspective, but the sound is so easily ignored and forgettable (and not really that annoying even if you go out of your way to pay attention to it) that I can't really see the problem with it personally.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 15:38   Link #84
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Spoiler for @Kaioshin sama, not sure how relevant it is, so I'll hide it :):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
If nothing else, I have to agree with this. I've noticed the sound that plays on the bridge since day one, but the sound is so toned down and easily ignored that it never occurred to me that that sound was what everybody was talking about being annoying until I rewatched this episode and confirmed that that's the only sound that's playing on the bridge at all. I guess it could be called a matter of perspective, but the sound is so easily ignored and forgettable (and not really that annoying even if you go out of your way to pay attention to it) that I can't really see the problem with it personally.
Haha, okay, this is just getting out of hand. I mentioned this as a minor annoying bit I've noticed, and labeled it as such, and some people said they didn't mind it, others found it annoying too, concluding it was down to people's different sound perception (and thus maybe a bit unfortunately picked), nothing more or less.
I'm not sure why it's being made to sound as if we were screaming bloody murder, it was a friendly thing imo.
No one I can recall said it was a problem except Kaioshin who is under the impression that it's some sort of conspiracy (why??).
Sorry if you got that impression, but seriously, I just mentioned it because I was curious if it was just me
Old 2012-01-04, 22:22   Link #85
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Sorry if you got that impression, but seriously, I just mentioned it because I was curious if it was just me
To be fair, you did draw a comparison between the sound in question and nails on a chalkboard. But if you didn't actually personally refer to it as a problem, presuming you had was my bad (I was quoting Kaioshin-Sama at the time). I was just curious because, as I said, I had to fight so hard to notice this sound in the first place. Could be more noticeable to others though, like you said.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 22:45   Link #86
monster

Quote:
To be fair, you did draw a comparison between the sound in question and nails on a chalkboard. But if you didn't actually personally refer to it as a problem, presuming you had was my bad (I was quoting Kaioshin-Sama at the time). I was just curious because, as I said, I had to fight so hard to notice this sound in the first place. Could be more noticeable to others though, like you said.
Well, even if SkullFaerie did say it was a problem, why shouldn't he/she comment about it? Some people just have more sensitive hearing than others, and they can't help what they can hear or what sounds bother them. That's just part of their experience in watching the episode.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-05, 19:46   Link #87
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Basically what monster said
And I used the nails example to describe what it sounds like to me, as an explanation I think. Funnily, nails don't bother me that much. It just depends on what your sound perception is like, so some people are bothered by it too, others don't mind it- but no one said it was a problem, just a little something mentioned on the side, didn't think there was any harm in that.
Kaioshin just got the wrong impression and mistook it for an attack on the show and made a big deal out of it, so if you were quoting from that, I can totally see why you'd think we were being silly

Tags
weekly episode discussion