AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-10-31, 09:27   Link #1961
abynormal
Skull Fairy Scout

Send a message via AIM to abynormal
I know you're talking about Ranka, but I was referring to Sheryl here, as this is the Sheryl character discussion. And yes it is unfortunate that Ranka's development got nerfed, but that's another discussion for another thread.
Old 2008-11-22, 01:39   Link #1962
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Count me in as one of the few Sheryl haters. I honestly couldn't stand her character development pretty much the whole way through and it seriously felt like they were just writing her on the fly to make her as popular as possible in a gimmicky sort of way and that it came through in her flip-flopping personalities on more than one occassion. It was honestly a struggle for me to try and like her as a character for the most part, especially the "woman that knows what she wants" aspect of her character which had me rolling my eyes the whole time, and I pretty much felt that the episodes that focused on her specifically were among the weakest in the series (especially the one where she joined the high school). Her big reveal as to her background was suitable but also painfully cliche and I felt that her eventually being able to control the Vajra like Ranka was shoe-horned in because the creators learned how popular she was getting and didn't want it to appear that she was being outclassed by Ranka.

I still can't for the life of me understand what most people see in this character because I just don't see it at all and to me she's one of the most overrated characters since Suzumiya Haruhi. That said I by no means found her the worst character in the show. That honour belongs to Nanase and Grace in a tie, but that's another story for another time.

Just needed to get that off my chest.
Old 2008-11-22, 02:45   Link #1963
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Out of curiosity, a question for you Kaoshin, who do you consider as the best character of the show then?
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-11-22, 03:04   Link #1964
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

She's for Ranka, mate.

But Sheryl is so much better compared to super overrated moe-blobs-damsels-in-distress-with-brother-complex characters like Ranka who had zilch character development...

That's my opinion btw, so to people out there, don't coin it as everyone else's.
XDD

Because based on experience here... >_>

Last edited by raile; 2008-11-22 at 03:17.
Old 2008-11-22, 03:24   Link #1965
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Her big reveal as to her background was suitable but also painfully cliche and I felt that her eventually being able to control the Vajra like Ranka was shoe-horned in because the creators learned how popular she was getting and didn't want it to appear that she was being outclassed by Ranka.
Actually, Sheryl's background has very little to do with the story, and important parts are revealed (or at least hinted) very early. I wonder why those bother you.

And I can assure one thing to you, most Sheryl fans HATE that Sheryl gains the stupid control over bugs. Come on, we love Sheryl because she tries her best within her ability and does whatever she can do to help others, not because she has any super power. If that was done in order to please Sheryl fans, whoever made that decision must not understand why people love Sheryl.

Shit for who makes Sheryl control bugs.
Old 2008-11-22, 03:31   Link #1966
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

LOL, The whole Sheryl could control Vajras like Ranka thing blew me off as random. XD
From the start of the series, I thought she'd do something related to her Nome bloodline. I mean, come on! Sarah and Mao Nome. I find it such a waste that they didn't use this. ;_;
Old 2008-11-22, 03:31   Link #1967
vivitoru
Gunsam!

I honestly feel embarrassed for taking such an obvious bait but I will nonetheless, even though I posted only three times on this board.

This post is of course directed at Kaioshin.

You can write it off as a lame comeback from a fanboy and I won't deny that I probably wouldn't have replied if you had said the same about Ranka: I am totally biased when it comes to Sheryl and that's why I won't even try to show you how awesome she is since everything has already been said in that regard (besides everybody is entitled to his own opinion).

What I would like to point out is the reason leading to this particular post of yours reviving a particular thread who has been dead for more than 20 days.

In one of your post on the Gundam 00 board, you provided a link to his review of episode 7 stating you did not agree at all with him (you had a rather lengthy discussion with some people there).

Here's what you said about Sheryl: "Though I wouldn’t by any stretch cite Sheryl Nome as a hallmark of a good character. At least from my perspective. If there’s ever a character that seemed to keep flip flopping personalites and vulnerabilities versus stoicness then it was her. And she didn’t have a good excuse for it like super soldier conditioning or anything either. I know everybody seems to love Sheryl to death, but that was pretty much my third least favourite character in all of Frontier"

Now let's see Crusader's reply: "Your mecha license has been revoked since you have discounted one of the better heroines to have blessed Macross in sometime. More over you coupled with the declaration of this as a solid romance it is clear that in the words of Patton “you know as much about fighting as you know about fucking”. :P Sheryl was the only character whose creation stunned even Kawamori himself that is quite an accomplishment, much like how Misa took on a life of her own so to speak."

It seems quite clear why you needed to get this off your chest. I'm just surprised you didn't argue more with him on the matter (well it was a Gundam00 review after all) and why you waited for 3 days before writing what you did (maybe you already did something to that extent in one of your blog entries countering Crusader's rant)

This post may be out of topic but I just wanted to get this off of my chest: it's tiring to see you posting on the Macross board just for the sake of countering remarks concerning Code Geass or Gundam 00 and for trying to differentiate yourself from the crowd blindly following popular trends (Yoko Kanno's OSTs "undeserving" of their success for example).

I'm sorry for this long post which isn't even on topic. I will now refrain myself from posting anything pertaining to that matter (not that I posted much before that).
Old 2008-11-22, 03:34   Link #1968
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

vivitoru. You should post more often. XD

Where is chapter 3 of your fic?

X3
Old 2008-11-22, 03:36   Link #1969
vivitoru
Gunsam!

There are already many great posters on this forum and I generally don't have anything to add to what has already been said
Old 2008-11-22, 03:41   Link #1970
forgottendiary
Izanami
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to forgottendiary Send a message via MSN to forgottendiary Send a message via Yahoo to forgottendiary
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivitoru View Post
I honestly feel embarrassed for taking such an obvious bait but I will nonetheless, even though I posted only three times on this board.

You can write it off as a lame comeback from a fanboy and I won't deny that I probably wouldn't have replied if you had said the same about Ranka: I am totally biased when it comes to Sheryl and that's why I won't even try to show you how awesome she is since everything has already been said in that regard (besides everybody is entitled to his own opinion).

What I would like to point out is the reason leading to this particular post of yours reviving a particular thread who has been dead for more than 20 days.

In one of your post on the Gundam 00 board, you provided a link to his review of episode 7 stating you did not agree at all with him (you had a rather lengthy discussion with some people there).

Here's what you said about Sheryl: "Though I wouldn’t by any stretch cite Sheryl Nome as a hallmark of a good character. At least from my perspective. If there’s ever a character that seemed to keep flip flopping personalites and vulnerabilities versus stoicness then it was her. And she didn’t have a good excuse for it like super soldier conditioning or anything either. I know everybody seems to love Sheryl to death, but that was pretty much my third least favourite character in all of Frontier"

Now let's see Crusader's reply: "Your mecha license has been revoked since you have discounted one of the better heroines to have blessed Macross in sometime. More over you coupled with the declaration of this as a solid romance it is clear that in the words of Patton “you know as much about fighting as you know about fucking”. :P Sheryl was the only character whose creation stunned even Kawamori himself that is quite an accomplishment, much like how Misa took on a life of her own so to speak."

It seems quite clear why you needed to get this off your chest. I'm just surprised you didn't argue more with him on the matter (well it was a Gundam00 review after all) and why you waited for 3 days before writing what you did (maybe you already did something to that extent in one of your blog entries countering Crusader's rant)

This post may be out of topic but I just wanted to get this off of my chest: it's tiring to see you posting on the Macross board just for the sake of countering remarks concerning Code Geass or Gundam 00 and for trying to differentiate yourself from the crowd blindly following popular trends (Yoko Kanno's OSTs "undeserving" of their success for example).

I'm sorry for this long post which isn't even on topic. I will now refrain myself from posting anything pertaining to that matter (not that I posted much before that).
woot, thanks for this. now i sorta understand the randomness that is a few posts back.
Old 2008-11-22, 03:45   Link #1971
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
There are already many great posters on this forum and I generally don't have anything to add to what has already been said
Hmm, yeah, good point. XD

Asking again, where is your chapter 3? 8D
Old 2008-11-22, 03:52   Link #1972
vivitoru
Gunsam!

I sent a private reply to avoid further hijacking of the thread.
Anyway let's say I'm quite... unsure on what to do about the next chapter
Old 2008-11-22, 03:58   Link #1973
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Anyway let's say I'm quite... unsure on what to do about the next chapter
Should we call that uhh, the Kawamori Syndrome?

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-11-22, 04:09   Link #1974
vivitoru
Gunsam!

That's it I'm going for a threesome ending. Stay tuned for the retelling of this already alternate story!
Old 2008-11-22, 04:38   Link #1975
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

A quickie, just where do you post your fanfics? I am told they are good read.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-11-22, 04:43   Link #1976
vivitoru
Gunsam!

I post them on fanfiction.net under the same nickname (I only have written one for the moment).
Beware though it's full of cheesiness (raile told me it's not a problem since it is in the romance category after all )
Old 2008-11-22, 04:52   Link #1977
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Out of curiosity, a question for you Kaoshin, who do you consider as the best character of the show then?
It's a toss-up between Michel Blanc and Ozma Lee.

Quote:

You know if you think it's absolutely inconceivable that a person could have just genuinely never developed any sort of attachment to Sheryl's character and that it has to be some sort of troll or revenge tactic then that's fine by me, but I'd have hoped people would give me a little more credit. Believe it or not my life does not revolve around countering one person's rants. The topic in fact came up as I was discussing the series with someone on MSN and at that point I thought to post some of my thoughts on the character and how I was mostly unimpressed with her development, knowing full well the extent of her mass fandom, neither caring nor worrying, but just trying to express my take on the character.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-11-22 at 05:08.
Old 2008-11-22, 05:15   Link #1978
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It's a toss-up between Michel Blanc and Ozma Lee.
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, isn't it? Most of us would actually counter all of your arguments with the fact that those characters weren't developed AT ALL throughout the whole series, and the few interesting bits involved death (one fake and the other real). But there's no accounting for taste, is there?

Now, just out of curiosity, why did you have to come to the discussion of a character you admitted to hate and make your points? Couldn't you have made the same points in the Favorite Character's thread?

It does reek of revanchism, at least to me...

Old 2008-11-22, 05:24   Link #1979
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, isn't it? Most of us would actually counter all of your arguments with the fact that those characters weren't developed AT ALL throughout the whole series, and the few interesting bits involved death (one fake and the other real). But there's no accounting for taste, is there?

Now, just out of curiosity, why did you have to come to the discussion of a character you admitted to hate and make your points? Couldn't you have made the same points in the Favorite Character's thread?

It does reek of revanchism, at least to me...
Three reasons:

1. Because I specifically came to talk about Sheryl Nome

2. Sheryl Nome is not one of my favourite characters. Michel and Ozma by the way are just my favourite characters and not ones I think are the best since I don't proclaim best characters.

3. I noted that this was the Sheryl Nome thread, not the Sheryl Nome Fan Thread.

And yes, there is no accounting for taste.
Old 2008-11-22, 05:38   Link #1980
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Still reeks of revanchism, then. Either that or pure spite. But, hey... to each his own, I guess.

Closed Thread

Tags
characters