AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

Old 2007-09-02, 23:05   Link #121
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Little late but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Thinking about it, I can't say I agree. Many of the points had their fair share of exposure, any more and it would have been unnecessary. Though I suppose some of them could have been more detailed.
Simply put, the Aozora scene at ep13 (where Misuzu dies) was about 4 min long in the anime. I saw a movie of it over youtube the other day and the same scene was about 14 mins long (in the voiced version of the game, hence, it will be faster than if someone took their time and read it slowly like in the old game version.) I'll leave the rest parts for you to think about.
Old 2007-09-07, 07:12   Link #122
johndile

Well seeing as how the two children say "To them, cruel days, and to us, a new beginning" it is implied it is them in a way and the curse about friends is broken and when misuzu chooses her move and hugs her is sorta like the love of the mum one breaking so yea
johndile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-22, 08:42   Link #123
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Right after watching it again I have a new theory for the boy and girl, which could be based totally on my clutching at straws for a happy ending for Misuzu and Yukito.

Spoiler for thoughts on boy girl etc:

Just writing that has made me sniffle again.
Old 2007-09-24, 19:32   Link #124
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

I finally got around to watching this (after seeing Kanon), and wow, what a great (if sad) story. Misuzu was such a sweetheart, and the unflinching manner in which they presented her story was so gut-wrenching. I was struck by the similarity of the latter stage of her story with (you-know-who) of Kanon *zips lips*.

I think that the little girl most certainly must be Misuzu, since that girl IS the icon for the series, and a symbol for the continuation of Life, and Hope. I'm sure there must be a reason why only the boy's hand is shown in that logo, and I guess depends on Yukito's outcome.

Whenever I watch Mushishi I keep imagining that Gingko is simply Yukito continuing on in his travels, awaiting that day when he can finally free Kanna

I really wanted a resolution for her story; it's not right that she is still alone in her torment. Oh well, that's what imaginations are for (and positive thoughts)
Ahasuerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-28, 01:49   Link #125
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahasuerus View Post
I finally got around to watching this (after seeing Kanon), and wow, what a great (if sad) story. Misuzu was such a sweetheart, and the unflinching manner in which they presented her story was so gut-wrenching. I was struck by the similarity of the latter stage of her story with (you-know-who) of Kanon *zips lips*.

I think that the little girl most certainly must be Misuzu, since that girl IS the icon for the series, and a symbol for the continuation of Life, and Hope. I'm sure there must be a reason why only the boy's hand is shown in that logo, and I guess depends on Yukito's outcome.

Whenever I watch Mushishi I keep imagining that Gingko is simply Yukito continuing on in his travels, awaiting that day when he can finally free Kanna

I really wanted a resolution for her story; it's not right that she is still alone in her torment. Oh well, that's what imaginations are for (and positive thoughts)
It's been discussed to death, but Kanna is not in torment. There were two curses placed on Kanna. One from hugging her mother which made it so that she could never make friends lest her and the person she made friends with both die. The second is the one placed on her by the Buddhist monks which forced her to constantly reincarnate. The first curse was broken when Misuzu and her mother bonded. The second is unresolved, but it's implied that Sora went out to find a way to break it.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-30, 20:03   Link #126
iamthebest22

Well, at least she could make friends now, and that's a good thing. I wouldn't mind her being reincarnated though, other than maybe the fact that she would remember everything and well maybe feel bad. Nevertheless, despite the sad ending, (I literally cried for a long time), I would had wished that there was a second season, even though it's unlikely, whenever I think about this series, I'd always hope that Misuzu wouldn't die, although she has to, since the soul of an angel is too much for a human body to bear.

God I'm shedding tears again, and I haven't even watched Kanon yet.
iamthebest22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-01, 11:20   Link #127
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
The second is unresolved, but it's implied that Sora went out to find a way to break it.
Not just Sora as the feather from Kano and from Michiru (cry) should also bring good memories to Kanna too. I wonder how many other feathers are out there? The main problem with the feathers is that unless someone like Yukito is there to resolve the issue then the feather might just add another bad memory to Kanna
Old 2007-12-16, 23:51   Link #128
Thinkersblock07

It says here that the little kids shown at the end of Air aren't Yukito's or Misuzu's reincarnations.

Quote:
KEY as the Two Kids

"The author declared that those two kids were not the reincarnation of any of the characters and he doesn't want people think of air like that."

The author also says that those two kids were more of outsider view point. It's like themselves (KEY) are watching the story.

Also, those two children said something at the end, but from the information provided on the site, it says the sentence was not fully represented. There should have some word to make the sentence "right." The sentence before they change was "cruel days are waiting upon them, new days are welcoming us." After putting words into the sentence to make it "right" it reads as "memories of stars gave them cruel days, and give us new memory to start."
So I suppose all theories of Yukito and Misuzu being reincarnated are false. Maybe only Sora and Haruko know Misuzu's and Yukito's tale and they'll pass it on so other people could know...

Talk about depressing.
KEY just wants everyone to be miserable. J/k
Old 2007-12-18, 14:43   Link #129
Jeiku

For some reason I find that annoying for the writer to point that out. A conclusion as open-ended as AIR's is going to be interpreted in more ways than one, and only the writers are going to know the answers. Stepping up and elaborating on one thing while not addressing another bigger question defeats its purpose, in my opinion. I am aware that others like Miyazaki do it as well, but endings in his movies (the ones I've seen anyway) were resolved nicely, whereas for AIR, questions on whether the curses are broken, what will happen with Haruko*, and what will happen to Yukito/Sora still remain. It made me feel happy to think that the two children at the beach were reincarnations of Yukito and Misuzu (or even Ryuya or Kanna, which would probably have been more likely) but since any possibility of any other theory is out of the window, oh well.

*There's still a nagging thought in the back of my head that tells me that Haruko will die soon due to becoming close to Misuzu... unless that curse only affects normal friendship and not maternal love.
Jeiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 11:06   Link #130
CrazySunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeiku View Post
For some reason I find that annoying for the writer to point that out.
I agree with this as well, series that are even remotely open-ended should always have the viewer/reader choose their own ending, even little comments such as those can ruin it for you.

And open-ended series are just so much better because it forces you to think and beg for more.

Not to bring the manga into this but
Spoiler for manga:

Though I really liked the ending... slightly wish it had more "BAM" to it where it made me collapse into tears even more but still, IMO, a wonderful end.

Last edited by CrazySunshine; 2008-01-06 at 02:27.
CrazySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 15:27   Link #131
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sometimes the authors themselves have no idea what they have wrought or why people interpret it as they do All the authors have done is released the ideas and people process them as based on their own experiences.
Old 2008-01-05, 11:36   Link #132
DukeTheGold
Shichibukai

Arr...Talk about depressing information, if what Thinkersblock07 posted was true, then AIR's conclusion was tragic indeed. Hereby I was under the delusion that Kanna's cursed cycle of reincarnation finally came into a peaceful resolution. Pity it was not the case. Those two kids are in fact non-special but only symbols of minor meaning. Even if Misuzu's inability to befriend others is negated, she is still cursed to be reincarnated repeatedly and perish in a tragic demise each time at the age of 15.

What of Yukito? He is doomed to fly over the sky in search of a fruitless end - a quest that can not be fulfilled. Shall he die as a crow and never enjoy even a proper burial?

That is sad indeed. Talk about depression...good thing I am already over AIR.
DukeTheGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 17:13   Link #133
kirokokori

Seriously? Wow, that sucks. I swear, KEY loves to crush people.

I always interpreted the kids as the final reincarnation of Yukito/Ryuuya and Misuzu/Kanna, with the curse now broken, so they could finally be together happily.

You know what, screw you KEY, I'm taking what I thought as canon.

Also, hi, new here.
kirokokori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-22, 17:47   Link #134
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

LMAO!!! This is funny as hell... I was JUST thinking of this thread when this notification popped up in my email! (FWIW, an earlier snarky comment in response to a question I had about the ending).

I tend to echo your thoughts, kirokokori

Besides, if this isn't so, WHY include the two kids so prominently in the logo?

BTW, just bought Air the Movie, and it wasn't nearly as suckish as what people make it out to be. Definitely not on a par with the series, but well worth watching if you're a fan

I do have to say that I haven't seen more deeply moving stories than those of Air and Kanon, ever. So, props to the creators But just as in musical lyrics' interpretation, the "message" is whatever the listener/observer feels it to be. Oftentimes this deviates from the artist's original vision, but I've read where they delight in seeing the different ways in which people interpret their vision/story/lyric
Old 2008-02-22, 21:39   Link #135
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Even though the thing with the kids is like that for the people who created Air, I still believe with how the way Air is done and the open endedness of it all, it ultimately leaves it up to the viewer to decide for themselves.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 09:14   Link #136
kirokokori

I agree that Air and Kanon are very deeply moving, I cried really hard watching both of them. (Especially the end of Makoto's arc in Kanon, and the end of Air), and that the ending is really up to interpretation.

Also, this is sort of off topic, but it's still about KEY, anyways.
I've had the idea that all their stories (Clannad, Kanon, Air, etc., maybe not Planetarian) take place in the same 'universe', seem reasonable to any of you? My friends and I were joking about this and saying that Yukito, Yuuichi, and Tomoya should meet up so they can complain about how they can never just meet a NORMAL girl, who won't die/disappear/etc. lol
kirokokori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 16:42   Link #137
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

A friend pointed out an interesting (well, to me anyway ) thing: The original character designs were done by Itaru Hinoue, one of the co-founders of Key. She was responsible for the art direction of Air, Kanon, and Clannad. Wiki says this about her:

"She is skilled in preserving the psychological description of her characters via their facial expressions."

This is exactly what draws these characters so close to the heart of the viewer, IMHO. It seems that KyoAni picked up and continued this method, adding their own magic to it. I think this contributes heavily to the feeling that these three series are joined at the hip

Even though they also did such excellent work on The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky*Star, there's no spiritual connection between them and the trio of Key titles. In fact, Haruhi seems to have more in common with (Shakugan no) Shana's design than any of Key's girls!

But yeah, the trio does seem to inhabit the same universe, where magic isn't in-your-face, but side-by-side with reality, and where working with each other can indeed bring miracles

While Air and Kanon are far beyond ranking and rating with me, the jury's still out on Clannad, though I'm enjoying it very much. You can't rate a series before its ending, and there are still questions unanswered (such as the lonely girl and junkified boy). I have high hopes though, based on the quality and stories of Kanon and Air

I do agree that a therapist in their universe would not suffer from a shortage of clients
Old 2008-02-23, 16:51   Link #138
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahasuerus View Post
Even though they also did such excellent work on The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Lucky*Star, there's no spiritual connection between them and the trio of Key titles. In fact, Haruhi seems to have more in common with (Shakugan no) Shana's design than any of Key's girls!
Off topic: Noizi Ito.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-23, 18:14   Link #139
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Quote:
Off topic: Noizi Ito.
Ah, so that's why

Well, that explains that (kinda)

Then back on topic! WRT Air's ending, its concept of reincarnation is basically off-track anyway, and that's why suspension of disbelief can modify it to the viewer's tastes. It is just a story, anyway

For instance, a soul can't (re)incarnate anywhere in the same world twice, at the same time, yet apparently the same soul inhabits Yukito AND Sora. So the viewer has to accept both as being Yukito's soul, which flies against my understanding of it.

OTOH, other versions of reincarnation accept the idea of transmigration, which allows for a human soul to inhabit the body of animals (which personally I have a hard time believing YMMV).

So, the creators' original intent aside, a healthy suspension of belief can allow all of the Air characters some leeway as to their ultimate fates, depending on the viewer's beliefs

Still, it's such a painfully beautiful story, that if you don't over-analyze it, leaves you with a sense of wonderment that continues long after it's over

Last edited by Ahasuerus; 2008-02-23 at 18:15. Reason: clarification
Old 2008-02-23, 19:46   Link #140
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkersblock07 View Post
It says here that the little kids shown at the end of Air aren't Yukito's or Misuzu's reincarnations.

So I suppose all theories of Yukito and Misuzu being reincarnated are false. Maybe only Sora and Haruko know Misuzu's and Yukito's tale and they'll pass it on so other people could know...
I like this explanation better than most reincarnation theories. I think it shows that in the future, the curse would be broken, and that human beings will accept the winged beings and learn from their inherited wisdom of the memories of earth, and thus know about the past. This would also coincide nicely with the "right" intepretation of that last spoken sentence. The children seem to be just one generation after Misuzu, so I guess that implies Misuzu has broken the curse for the next generation.

In a literary sense, the knowledge of the children of the events that lie ahead for Misuzu and Yukito also reflects the viewpoint of us, the viewers, at the end of the series.
teelotes is offline   Reply With Quote