AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 44 40.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 12.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.85%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-21, 11:28   Link #101
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
And then you would have a traumatized tiger for the rest of the season...
Old 2008-11-21, 11:31   Link #102
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
And then you would have a traumatized tiger for the rest of the season...
naw a couple of meat dishes of Ryu's home cooked meals would perk that Tiny Tiger right back up.
Old 2008-11-21, 11:36   Link #103
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Somehow, I don't think it would...

Old 2008-11-21, 11:37   Link #104
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
That sure moved faster than I thought, though I more or less expected the duel to be wrapped up by the end of the episode.

I always wondered what Minori sleeping with a pair of fake eyes drawn on her eyelids would look like, and boy did I crack up when I saw her with those.

They should have allowed Taiga to use her wooden blade to strip Ami-tan of her bikini, instead of just her bare hands. She'll look more menacing that way, as befitting of her name.

And Taiga finally acknowledges for feelings, sort of. It wasn't too bad an adaptation, considering how JC Staff chooses to significantly downplay the angst and jealousy between Taiga and Ryuji caused by the cliffhanger on episode 6 with Ami flirting with Ryuji.

A new insertion includes Minori showing how envious she is of Taiga, having Ryuji take care of her. That scene was supposed to be in volume 4 but got moved forward.
I agree with you. I started to read the lightnovels, and compare it to the anime. The stupid thing for me, I guess being a girl and all... the last moment in the novel when Taiga declare "RYUUJI IS MIIIIINE-----!!!!! NOBODY TOUCHES HIM-----!" , I was so emotionally moved that I was crying, sensing her heart and pain. When I watched this episode, I was surprised how they did a wonderful job at portraying that bit in the anime. Again, I started to cry when Taiga proclaim her true feelings for Ryuuji. *just thinking about it, I need to grab a box of tissue*

My brother watched this episode with me, and said "No wonder Toradora is so popular, it's like a "chick-flick" anime. I on the other hand like Kannagi, is more of a guy anime" I reply to him "Whatever, guys likes this too. Here watch the first episode..." So I pass him my memory stick, and he took off. A few hours later, he came in my room and hand it back. I asked him what he thought, and he simply answer "Not bad, I still like Kannagi, but definitely one of the top best. I'll give it 8 out of 10" Then he look at me with a menacing look... "LIAR!!!" I yell, and push him out of my room. I heard him walking away humming Toradora! ending song. I knew he likes it, even episode 8.

Overall, I believe this episode is the best, mostly because it was more emotional moving, and it sum up what Yasuko Takasu said "...But Ryuu-chan should be able to understand, right? ... Taiga-chan's
always like that... Not saying what she really means..."
Old 2008-11-21, 11:44   Link #105
Darknemo2000

KeitaroNagato, why to call your brother liar?

I too think that Kannagi's anime is done much better than Toradora - in terms of artwork voice acting and directing. Toradora has better plot but again this comes from novels. There were the anime tries to go original it usually fails or at very least do not add anything to the plot itself.
Old 2008-11-21, 12:07   Link #106
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:
KeitaroNagato, why to call your brother liar?

I too think that Kannagi's anime is done much better than Toradora - in terms of artwork voice acting and directing. Toradora has better plot but again this comes from novels. There were the anime tries to go original it usually fails or at very least do not add anything to the plot itself.
I terms of artwork, I think Kannagi is better, but in terms of plot and story lines, Toradora delivers more. Maybe my brother is right, it is more a "chick-flick" anime, I guess thats why is so popular and gaining more attention. But... do guys like it too?
Old 2008-11-21, 12:21   Link #107
kir44n
#1 Delinquent

Well, I don't know about everyone else here, but I'm a dude and I really like toradora O_o. I think I'll go out on a limb and make the assertion that most of us on this board are guys as well. I myself think Kannagi is...well, meh to be perfectly honest, but I love toradora.

Oh, and to your brother, Toradora isn't really chick-flick ish anime. For that, look at "Earl & Fairy" *shudder*. I can't really get into that myself.
Old 2008-11-21, 13:37   Link #108
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Don't worry about Darknemo's opinion - it's been shown time and again that he's just annoyed that the anime is not a one-to-one map of the novel and criticizing that, despite everyone whom had NOT read the novel can pretty much attest to that the anime is perfectly standing on its own feet and is internally consistent piece of work. Comparing it to the novel is, frankly, pointless.

Also Kannagi's directing is actually sub-par, I do not call a show where it continously pushes otaku neta buttons which only otaku's can get "good directing" - eg. who gets the director joke if there wasn't line notes on the fansubs and/or that you weren't familiar with the whole Yamakan/Kyoani/Lucky Star/Kadokawa scandle (thus you've wasted too many hours of your life scavaging every piece of information on the intertubs)? Or the trivia otaku stuff that Akiba mutters (who even thinks Akiba is funny if you are not familiar with otaku knowledge or have a friend that is an otaku that you can relate to)? It's just pondering - in fact throwing in little otaku knowledge nuggets in a show that's not even a parody/satire comedy to see how big of an otaku you are is actually a sign of poor directing as you are relying on memes to carry the show, rather than the actual story or writing. Everything else, I can borrow Darknemo's exact reasoning here - just came from the manga (yes I read the Kannagi manga). Heck adapting from the panels of manga is actually EASIER than novels! Whereas in ToraDora, it IS a successful adaptation when people can get enjoyment from it as a standalone piece of work - THAT actually takes directing skill and people whom actually understands the work to decide on what is important to the story from the original novel and correctly adapt it to the screen. For a comparison, look at the Lord of the Ring movies, what would happen if they actually adopted the very first "adventures" of the hobbits as they leave their village and went through that forest? People would've either fell asleep or left the cinemas.
Old 2008-11-21, 13:45   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeitaroNagato View Post
I terms of artwork, I think Kannagi is better, but in terms of plot and story lines, Toradora delivers more. Maybe my brother is right, it is more a "chick-flick" anime, I guess thats why is so popular and gaining more attention. But... do guys like it too?
yes, guys like it, too... actually its written for a male audience if you believe the silly japanese industry labeling. One could argue that it has more appeal for more mature males or males more attuned to how people interact.

I like Kannagi mostly for the art and execution -- the director and his staff created some brilliant moments in the first few episodes. The plot itself is pretty simplistic but the voice acting (in particular Nagi's VA) are a treat to listen to. I'm less happy with the more frequent insertion of topical otaku gags which I doubt come from the manga (shades of Lucky*Star).

Toradora delivers much more complicated personalities - the art is not necessarily as fantastic but the story content and how these personalities interact are very compelling. That stems from the wealth of material available in the light novels.
Visual adaptations of novels are always taking a huge risk in alienating the novel readers. Using the houkoholic's LOTR example -- I'm a HUGE fan of the novels, have read them dozens of times since the 1970s. The liberties that Jackson took could easily have turned me completely off -- but as a standalone effort of "retelling a tale", I still feel about 80% of LOTR was brilliantly done.
Moby Dick is a "whale of a book" but the Gregory Peck movie adaptation while leaving out hours of critical moments from the book still is amazing to watch.

I suspect when I read the novel series for Toradora in its entirety I'll find many scenes and nuances that I wish would have been animated.
So it goes...

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-11-21 at 13:56.
Old 2008-11-21, 13:49   Link #110
BigJimmy
Burn ya git!

Kannagi, a guy anime? Pfffft, for true man's anime you need Gurren Lagann!

I suppose that Toradora taps into the romantic side of men, while tickling the funny bone too. Well, maybe that's just me, but I guess I'm just a big softy under my brash exterior.
Old 2008-11-21, 14:03   Link #111
Tiran86

Quote:
Now imagine if Ami would have done the same to Taiga... Would it still be a laughing matter?
I think that would have led to Taiga kicking Ami's ass.

I'm a guy and I like Toradora a lot more than Kannagi. Frankly, I haven't been impressed with Kannagi. I dropped it until the end of the season where I'll marathon it.
Old 2008-11-21, 14:04   Link #112
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
Pfffft, for true teenager's anime you need Gurren Lagann!
Fixed it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiran86 View Post
I think that would have led to Taiga kicking Ami's ass.
Nope she would be busy weeping and feeling sorry for herself to be so exposed before everyones and Kitamura's eyes.

And houkoholic, how exactly my comment is about it not following novels? Specially when I am criticizing the part where it followed the novels without taking care about the changes they made in anime already.

Can you explain that?

Or are you again criticizing without reading, like you usually do?

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2008-11-21 at 14:20.
Old 2008-11-21, 14:10   Link #113
Tiran86

Quote:
Fixed it for.

Nope she would be busy weeping and feeling sorry for herself to be so exposed before everyones and Kitamura's eyes.
Hmm true, Kitamura was there. If he wasn't, I do think she'd react violently.

She would still pay Ami back though.
Old 2008-11-21, 14:12   Link #114
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Fixed it for.
That really does show that you don't know what you're on about.
Old 2008-11-21, 14:19   Link #115
rg4619

Kannagi is a bit dull as a show - it's better as a manga, but in creating TV, the writers could've shortened or done away with some mundane bits. I also dislike the air of self-indulgence (that KyoAni jab) and shameless otaku referencing.

The Toradora anime possesses a brisk tempo that actually enhances a viewing experience. There's rarely any waste of time, and IMO, the humor hits even harder than the light novel translation I'm reading. As an adaptation, it certainly isn't complete in terms of source coverage (with mixed media marketing, I guess that's where new fans are urged to buy light novels), but the the selection and arrangement/timing of key developments has been exceptionally skillful.
Old 2008-11-21, 14:24   Link #116
Darknemo2000

Forgot to add 'you' in there. Anyways Gurren Lagann is far from being a 'true Man's' anime... 'True Man's' anime doesn't have to be about giant robots or fighting or whatever. Thats not what makes one a true man (if one can become a true man to begin with).

Spice and Wolf or Toradora is more true man's anime than Gurren.
Old 2008-11-21, 14:30   Link #117
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Forgot to add 'you' in there. Anyways Gurren Lagann is far from being a 'true Man's' anime... 'True Man's' anime doesn't have to be about giant robots or fighting or whatever. Thats not what makes one a true man (if one can become a true man to begin with).

Spice and Wolf or Toradora is more true man's anime than Gurren.
I have so much to say against this, though it isn't the right thread so i'll just let it slide. All i will say is that you have the complete wrong impression of Gurren Lagann, and sound like the kind of person who comments about the mecha genre when they have no idea about it.
Old 2008-11-21, 14:33   Link #118
Darknemo2000

Actaully my favorite anime is Evangelion. So I can understand how annoying it is when poeple say "Eww it's mecha, must be paintless action anime!"

But Gurren Lagann is nothing exceptional at all from the bunch. Oh they did tried to make it more than just an action. But they never created something noteworthy out of it. Evangelion still remains Gainax best mecha anime as Gurren falls short.

Personally I didn't like the angel fights in Evangelion but what caught me were the characters and the symbolism behind that.

I like the characters and their relationship thats why I enjoy S&W, Toradora or Evangelion quite a bit.

But again, this is not the place to discuss it.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2008-11-21 at 14:52.
Old 2008-11-21, 15:11   Link #119
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
ToraDora! has good story to base on, Kannagi relies a lot on finesse and good technical skills to mask the simplistic story.

That's my take.
Old 2008-11-21, 15:22   Link #120
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I have so much to say against this, though it isn't the right thread so i'll just let it slide. All i will say is that you have the complete wrong impression of Gurren Lagann, and sound like the kind of person who comments about the mecha genre when they have no idea about it.
Gurren Lagann stood out a bit from "average mecha" -- as in the mecha itself were secondary to the story line (one reason I'm a fan of it versus some others) because it actually tries to address the confusion about "manliness" and what it really means (the contrast between Kamina and Simon). Evangelion, as well, wasn't "about" mecha as such. Its the difference between a 30 minute commercial for lines of "violent toys" and a deeper storyline about people. But I thoroughly "get" Darknemo's intent. Young males are often confused about "manliness" and "gar" ... what it actually means to be a mature male.

Spice&Wolf or Toradora! are apt examples and they're works I don't mind sharing with other men.