AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-09-12, 11:33   Link #201
martino
makes no files now

Whose fansub would you recommend me to get, Shinsen's or Avalon's???
Old 2006-09-12, 11:44   Link #202
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I don't have any particular preference... they both have their up and down moments in translation quality. The more japanese you know the more of an opinion you might have about translation choices (since it is a bit of an artform -- literal vs intent vs cultural). Subbing style is very personal preference. I slightly prefer the font used by Avalon but they're both very readable.

I usually tell people to download a random ep from each candidate group and just judge the subbing from a personal preference.

I like to have all my subs for a series from one group (which causes some consternation when a group drops a project) but some people just grab an episode from whomever subs it first...

I was grabbing Shinsen subs (eps 1-9) but have been grabbing Avalon since ep 10 simply because Shinsen stalled for undoubtedly RL reasons. Shinsen has been catching up recently though.
Old 2006-09-12, 11:58   Link #203
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
Someone actually disliked Multi??? (Although Akari is my favorite)

A. Chii will be sad now.
Well, in fairness, Hideki didn't actually have a real live girl who liked him. So it's a slightly different situation.

EDIT: And I'm not that fond of Multi either, but more because of flashbacks to TH~RMM. Whoever the voice actor was, when he'd call out "Multi!" it made the unhappy parts of my brain trigger.
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 14:56   Link #204
DanielSong39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Well, in fairness, Hideki didn't actually have a real live girl who liked him. So it's a slightly different situation.
So Yumi doesn't count?
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 15:09   Link #205
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39
So Yumi doesn't count?
Well, it's off-topic but I think in every versio of Chobits I've ever seen it's quite apparent Yumi actually likes Ueda - not Hideki, so I would safely call that a no.
Old 2006-09-12, 16:49   Link #206
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I'd put it more like this. She tries to get over Ueda, but Hideki doesn't help much. Well, he and Chii manage to help them solve their problems though
Old 2006-09-12, 17:21   Link #207
rooboy
Umeboshi!

I don't think someone who's hanging around outside your shop is trying to get over you - but whichever, it's readily apparent that the male she actually is in love with is Ueda - not Hideki.
Old 2006-09-12, 18:02   Link #208
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Yumi is a bad girl. she was always playing with hideki's feelings. ;__;
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 20:25   Link #209
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

It's interesting. The season played out for me like an extended introduction with an odd, four episode detour with the twins, Tsun and Dere. We seemed to get something akin to an arc with Konomi,
Spoiler:
The episode I found strangest was 11.
Spoiler:
The episode ends, the next episode (11.5) is a series recap, the two Konomi episodes follow, and the season ends. It just felt like a half season to me, and I'm curious to know what went on behind the scenes when it was decided to go for 14 (counting 11.5) rather than 24 - 26 episodes.

If I were to guess, I'd say the real competition is between Tamaki and Manaka. Konomi x Takaaki, I think, is just a non-starter. At least at this point, they just seem developmentally too far apart. They played her very, very young. Younger than her middle school friends. Now, you could say the same thing about Tamaki x Takaaki, and you would have a point. However, I really think she's one of the great female anime characters. She's a huge (and healthy) fan favorite, I believe for very good reason. She can't be dismissed outright. Heck, she's probably more mature and poised than I am, and I'm more than twice her age.

Now, Manaka is an attractive, bright, and pleasant girl. She hasn't attempted to assault or blackmail Takaaki, nor does she spend her nights feeding stray cats while attempting to communicate with her breathren from another planet. Temperamentally and developmentally, she seems best suited for Takaaki, but we really don't know much about her.
Spoiler:
Which brings me back to my original point. Slice of life fiction, while light on plot, should be strong on character, and several key characters seemed underdeveloped to me. This just seemed like half a slice of life anime. It really screamed for more episodes in the first season, as opposed to a second season. But it ended where it did, and I look forward to a second season. (At least I hope there will be a second season.)

Also, if Tamaki had her own anime, I would watch it.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-12, 20:40   Link #210
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It wasen't perfect, but ToHeart2 was a great watch. Character-wise, i've always said that this series has a lot more interesting characters then the first To Heart.. i wouldn't say its just because one of thems a alien (Ruuuuuuu~), but the fact that each one's a character i really wanna see each & everyday.. i just didn't get that from the first patch of characters, well.. maybe from a few of them. ^^;

I must say, adding Yuki into the last episode was damn right genius. Them adding it makes me think she might just appear in the second season (which was announced a while back with a new game). Maybe.. the real romance to the story could pick up.

Anyway, a great series.. one hell of a OST i know i'll always be listening to - and a male lead i knew would be somewhat of a man in the end. :3
Old 2006-09-12, 21:36   Link #211
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Old 2006-09-12, 22:15   Link #212
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

\o/ Ruuuuuuuuuuu

All together now...

Old 2006-09-12, 22:51   Link #213
rooboy
Umeboshi!

13 is the last episode, correct?

I only ask because I just watched it and I keep thinking there's another one afterwards.

EDIT: And Tama-nee doing the \o/ Ruu pose is criminal.
Old 2006-09-13, 00:17   Link #214
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

yes i think it was the last one.
Manaka is actually a very very busy person.
i doubt there will be a second season.
personally, i didnt like them throwing in yuki like that. it felt like we got 5 mins of screen time before the series
is over and we forgot to add the last girl!

you forgot one of my favorite pictures
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 00:48   Link #215
Cloudnine
ロリ is life~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
I must say, adding Yuki into the last episode was damn right genius. Them adding it makes me think she might just appear in the second season (which was announced a while back with a new game). Maybe.. the real romance to the story could pick up.
Being a Yuuki fan, I really hated how they handled that scene since they cut out the most important and heartwarming part of that flashback...
Spoiler:

It's just really sad to how this anime turned out in the end. It had so much potential in becoming a hit with it's massive fanbase, yet flopped due to lackluster animation production and scripting.

It's on par with Negima as the worst adaptation, imo. ヽ(`Д´)ノ

/end venting
Cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 00:59   Link #216
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

How..... odd. This *screams* try it again with a company with more clues I think. Since I've never played the game (nor seen the first To Heart), I'll kind of comment on it as it is --- it seems like a big set up for 13 more episodes that aren't going to happen. The animation seemed pedestrian but then I've been watching too much KyoAni so I'd have to cut it some slack. The scripting seemed "off" in that Takaki seemed to often not really *be* there.... nothing behind the eyes sometimes. This is the sort of thing that makes me wonder about the skill set of anime adaption writers. Unlike the well-defined females... the anime writers have to actually work a little bit to create a believable guy -- and often he ends up seeming a bit flat or dullard. Well.. he wasn't *terrible* so B- on the scripting I guess.
I'm rambling a bit... but it just seems like the series is half done. Outside of that, it was an entertaining watch, rather pleasant overall.

@rooboy: "EDIT: And Tama-nee doing the \o/ Ruu pose is criminal."

but it certainly might attract the aliens, I betcha....

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-09-13 at 01:43.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 06:34   Link #217
Sailor Enlil
GWAAAA!

In a matter of speaking, it is "half-done",because if this link is what I think it is, there's a 2nd season in the works along with a sequel game.
Sailor Enlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 07:22   Link #218
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
And Tama-nee doing the \o/ Ruu pose is criminal.
You know - you're right.. it just doesn't work at all. ;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
personally, i didnt like them throwing in yuki like that. it felt like we got 5 mins of screen time before the series
is over and we forgot to add the last girl!
It wasen't like that, she was needed for the story. Of course there's a hell of a lot more to do her character, but like i said, bringing her into the last episode could easily show her apperence in the new series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Enlil
In a matter of speaking, it is "half-done",because if this link is what I think it is, there's a 2nd season in the works along with a sequel game.
Yep, thats what i mentioned.
Old 2006-09-13, 08:42   Link #219
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth
You know - you're right.. it just doesn't work at all. ;_;
No no, it works just fine for me.
Old 2006-09-13, 08:48   Link #220
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.